Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default CCW class Sacramento

Any suggestions for a CCW class in the Sacramento area?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2018, 11:50 AM

Eagle Defense is probably the best value, though you'll get more range time at a higher cost with an outfit like Grey Ops. A lot of people like LMS and Stoic too, but I've never had a class with them.
Old 06-29-2018, 1:01 PM

I vote for Gray Ops or LMS Defense. I've take classes with both.
Old 06-29-2018, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Depends... Do you just want to pass or do you want to gain knowledge/skills from it? There are plenty in both categories.

Note that there is no standard course of fire set by statute. It is totally up to the instructors. You may or may not pass depending on your skill set and the quality of instruction to get you to the necessary skill level.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 06-29-2018, 4:37 PM

I like the Gun Range, good solid qualification course.
Old 06-29-2018, 5:09 PM

Look into Defense Shot Training, I just went through my Sac County renewal, and was really impressed with John and his crew.

They’ve got a private outdoor range, and a really great model for training. As soon as I have a free weekend, I’m going to book one of their advanced defensive shooting classes.
Old 06-30-2018, 8:51 AM

I like Wes at Lagomarsino's Firearm Institute:
https://www.lfiguns.com/

He constantly trains and re-evaluates his own techniques. He then updates his training courses.

I've used him for over 6 years now and watched his training material evolve. I've taken his initial CCW class as well as used his many other classes for renewal.

He brings in Mike Seeklander and Massd Ayoob. Both were great classes to take.

I'd say the only 'issue' might be his rough language. If you are sensitive, you might get offended.
Old 07-08-2018, 7:39 PM

I tried to come up with a comprehensive list here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1423135
"The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." William Francis Butler (not Thucydides)
Old 07-22-2018, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Prepared View Post
Where would you recommend for a renewal where you gain skills?

My initial "16" hour course was little more than a rubber stamp and I'd like more substance this time...
Consider the qualification courses simply qualifications. Renewal courses are relatively short and the instructor's goal is to get you in and out with a certificate, but won't be able to focus on honing your practical skills. The general formula for initial and renewal cert courses are: review current laws and recent laws, review potential outcomes and liabilities, qualify. Not the place to add or refine skills.

What you should do is take the advanced CCW style courses from the various reputable instructors. Any instructor that allows you to run drawing from concealment, shooting while moving, shooting from unusual positions, etc...

Sac Valley has a few of those. Sac Gun Club has a few more advanced course, but I am unsure of the specific courses of fire. Best Handgun Training out in Lincoln has a few as well and I know they use a private range, however I am unsure of the specific courses of fire there too.

My vote is on Sac Valley, but you'll have to review each of the courses.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 07-27-2018, 7:02 PM

Gray Ops, took the course in May and would highly recommend
Old 07-27-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Sac Gun Club has a few more advanced course.
I haven’t seen an advanced handgun class at Sac Gun Club in over a year. Same with AR classes. They seem to have given up on them. As a member I get a free class every year (unless they have stripped that away too) but I can never use it because all they ever offer is basic handgun and CCW cert classes. And they refuse to honor my free class for a CCW renewal class.
Each year they offer less and charge more. They constantly have gunsmith issues, it’s impossible to shoot in there between June and September due to no AC on the range (an issue they refuse to fix), and now they are giving people huge attitude about doing PPTs. Even people who joined before the doors opened like myself.
Sac valley is 100 times better for classes and training.
I can also recommend Best Handgun Training, since that’s where I go because SGC refuses to let me take a CCW requalification course as my annual free class, even though it costs the same as other classes.