Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
I have a Harris bipod and Leupold Vari-X III Tactical 4.5-14x50 that I can use for now, too.
It's a good scope, I have one on another rifle. As is, get a 100yd zero and you are good to go for 600yds.
Old 11-10-2019, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Doh, mis-clicky.

Last edited by sigstroker; 11-10-2019 at 6:57 PM..
Old 11-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Nix the idea of slapping a Pac Nor barrel on. At least until they get up and ruining after the fire. Figure at least a few years (assuming it happens at all.)
Old 11-12-2019, 9:45 PM

I took Randall's advice and got Remington's 5r Milspec (29663) in .308 with the stainless 24" barrel. I replaced the trigger with a Timney, and got a screaming deal on a 5-25 ATACR (SFP). I'm going to take a class and start reloading for precision and I'll let you know.
Old 11-15-2019, 7:12 AM

These threads are funny. Thirty-seven some odd different opinions in the span of a day or two. LOL!

Truth is for the VAST % of all of us, it simply doesn’t matter what rifle you start with. Whether a Remington, Winchester, Savage, Tikka, Howa..One of the quality smaller companies or Custom Actions...They can all be a quality distance shooter. A quality rifle off the shelf with some trigger work, decent optic & hand loads will get you a UNDER 800yds no problem. When talking about 1000yds or even greater, things like 20” barrels, and using 308, are already a handicap.

Serious consideration of extended ranges, you should be thinking 6.5mm, 24/26” or greater length barrel & reloading.

What package you do it in is a question of personal preference and budget.

I have always been a Savage enthusiast. I chose to pick up a used 10 Action for next to nothing, stripper it down for the old “home” blueprinting, then did a complete build in 6.5-08. Stuck it in the Chassis I liked with my own custom made butt stock, and topped with Athlon Glass.

Not others cup o’ tea, and that’s fine. But I do what I like & can afford. Is it a really good shooting rifle? Yup! Not best ever, of course not..but it’s a far cry more accurate than I am! (Or anyone else here!)
Quote from Featureless: “It's doubtful you've ever actually shot anybody, maybe never even seen anybody shot and don't really know what the hell you're talking about in the first place.” (I think he is “LESS” more than just “FEATURE”!)

Ask me what Christ did for me..., and I will tell you what He will do for you!

Last edited by Dave Hoback; 11-15-2019 at 7:26 AM..
Old 11-15-2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
These threads are funny. Thirty-seven some odd different opinions in the span of a day or two. LOL!

Truth is for the VAST % of all of us, it simply doesn’t matter what rifle you start with. Whether a Remington, Winchester, Savage, Tikka, Howa..One of the quality smaller companies or Custom Actions...They can all be a quality distance shooter. A quality rifle off the shelf with some trigger work, decent optic & hand loads will get you a UNDER 800yds no problem. When talking about 1000yds or even greater, things like 20” barrels, and using 308, are already a handicap.

Serious consideration of extended ranges, you should be thinking 6.5mm, 24/26” or greater length barrel & reloading.

What package you do it in is a question of personal preference and budget.

I have always been a Savage enthusiast. I chose to pick up a used 10 Action for next to nothing, stripper it down for the old “home” blueprinting, then did a complete build in 6.5-08. Stuck it in the Chassis I liked with my own custom made butt stock, and topped with Athlon Glass.

Not others cup o’ tea, and that’s fine. But I do what I like & can afford. Is it a really good shooting rifle? Yup! Not best ever, of course not..but it’s a far cry more accurate than I am! (Or anyone else here!)
So what exactly are you saying here hoback? Your savage rifle is more accurate than anyone here can shoot?
Old 11-15-2019, 4:39 PM

Well, I have agree with him that in general, production rifles are more accurate that most of the people shooting them. : )