Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-26-2021, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Gone full-on Magpul on my Mossberg 500

A few years back my father gave me a Mossberg 500 Shotgun for Christmas. Dad's awesome! Before he retired he owned a shooing school in Oroville (among other things), and had his FFL. So guns and ammo were a given on holidays and birthdays. Boy do I miss that.

In any case, I was really hesitant to put Magpul stuff on this Mossberg Shotgun. Maybe it's because I have so much of it on my ARs I didn't want to be "Magpul Boy" at the range? Maybe I just wasn't as crazy about the looks of the Magpul shotgun specific stuff? Not sure exactly.

I'm not affraid of "tacticool" so long as it is actually useful, practical, comfortable, doesn't weight it down like a tank, etc.

My biggest issue is that adult size shotguns have too long of a pull for me. I've got a big bulky chest and short arms. With a regular stock the forend is too far out for me and I feel like it is gonna fly out of my arms when I pull the trigger.

I tried and liked the Hogue 12" LOP stock. It was alright.

I tried the Mesa Tactical LEO solution with an adjustable stock. It was better but I had to use the forward most hole and that made it feel a little cramped.

Then I gave in and tried Magpul's SGA stock, AMAZING! It's like something right out of a fairytale. Fits me perfectly. Who knew?

The forend fits really great too. Made it easy to put a light where I want it. Since I usually go on the inside rather than outside like most people that's not always easy for me.

Everything on it fits me perfectly now. Even the position of the light - which I was worried about. I'm really happy with the way everything feels and more importantly works.

So now I am full on "Magpul Boy" after all. My only long guns without Magpul stuff on them are my old school antigues that I inherited and Remington 700 Police that came with a hand done paintjob I want to keep.

Here is my parts list:

- Mossberg Breacher Shotgun (They called it a different name but it's the one with the spikey Muzzel Break on the end. I think RSR had a special on them back then.)
- TacStar Side Saddle
- Taclite Picatinny Receiver Mounted Optic Rail Mount
- Burris Fastfire II with Upgraded Winged Mount from Burris
- Magpul SGA Stock
- Magpul SGA Rear Sling Adapter
- Magpul M-Lok Mossberg Forend
- Magpul 5 Slot Polymer M-Lok Rail
- GG&G AZ Forward Sling Mount
- Streamlite TLR-VIR II Light and IR Laser (I had it laying around so why not?)

Last edited by tacticalcity; 02-27-2021 at 2:32 PM..
Old 02-26-2021, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Good info.
I also put a Hogue 12" LOP stock and a grind to fit limbsaver on my 590 A1. Same shorter arms.
Old 02-26-2021, 6:16 PM

I'm a fan of the magpul stock and forend on my 590a1. The factory stock was about 1" too long and I appreciate the texture and ergonomics on the forend.

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Hemingway
Old 02-27-2021, 2:11 AM

"Magpul Boy"..son of "Magpul Dad"...aka WR Buchanan.
Just kidding guys. To each his own. Do what works for you and makes you happy.
I too have the 500 but with Hogue up front and rear. Don't forget a CDM Gear safety switch for the 500. I didn't see a side-saddle mentioned either.
Old 02-27-2021, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Be nice if you could post some pics of your gun. That way others will know I'm not the only proponent of Magpul furniture on these shotguns.

This stuff just works! It is very well thought out and makes running the gun much easier. It is also adjustable so it can be made to fit just about anyone.

I've posted pics of my guns many times,,, Your Turn!

Randy AKA "Magpul Dad!"
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 02-27-2021, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madland View Post
"Magpul Boy"..son of "Magpul Dad"...aka WR Buchanan.
Just kidding guys. To each his own. Do what works for you and makes you happy.
I too have the 500 but with Hogue up front and rear. Don't forget a CDM Gear safety switch for the 500. I didn't see a side-saddle mentioned either.
Forgot to mention the side saddle. I've got a TacStar side saddle on there. Did not upgrade the safety yet. I could be wrong but I think this model came with an oversized custom safety. I could swear I remember reading that somewhere. What's on there seems to work really well. I'm not as well-read and informed about shotguns as I am ARs.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 02-27-2021 at 2:29 PM..
Old 02-27-2021, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

OK now for some mods to your modded gun.

Raised Safety Brownell's $15

Velcro Side Saddles that can be reloaded by simply ripping off the empty and slapping a loaded one on. Browncoat Tactical $15 each. Note: shells facing up, because you load the magazine and port load from underneath the gun.

Magpul Adapter to Remington Recoil Pad. Larger and much squishier that the Magpul Pad. This thing works!!!!

All these things work really well and should be included in your quest for Shotgun Nirvana. You're almost there!

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-30-2021 at 9:52 AM..
Old 02-27-2021, 11:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have Magpul furniture on one of my Mossbergs. The semipistol grip is very comfortable. I don't like pistol grips on shotguns, they make shotguns unpleasant to shoot, but Magpul hit just the right spot with that stock. At least, it did for me. The forehand is nice too. The only downside - those things are heavy compared to the stock furniture. Then again I don't expect to carry this shotgun for any extended length of time: it's simply a home and range gun.
Old 02-28-2021, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, but weight is your friend with Heavy Recoiling guns. And with a proper Sling you can carry that gun indefinitely.

Randy

Old 02-28-2021, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Personally i prefer the hogue short LOP and rubberized handguard. Tried the magpul stuff twice and its just too bulky and heavy for me.
I also prefer 870s but thats a different debate
Old 03-01-2021, 4:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
Personally i prefer the hogue short LOP and rubberized handguard. Tried the magpul stuff twice and its just too bulky and heavy for me.
I also prefer 870s but thats a different debate
Doesn't feel heavy to me at all. And I am pretty sensative to excess weight. But to each their own.

I like the 870 as well. But I'm not going to turn down something given to me for free. Plus Dad won't be around forever. So the fact that it was a gift adds sentimental value.

When it comes to chosing something for self-defense I am much more of an AR and hangun guy. I picked up my first real firearm when I joined the military. Mom never let dad teach me to shoot. So unlike him my first gun was an AR, then a handgun. After I left the military I poured my money into more courses perfecting my skills in those platforms. So shotguns are my weak spot.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 03-01-2021 at 4:05 PM..
Old 03-02-2021, 8:32 AM

Love the look of the MagPul stock and pump on my Remington 870.