Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Jpzum Jpzum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bay, Repyublik Kommifornyikationstan
Posts: 204
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Call to action gun violence rally

Brothers and sisters

Stanford health care in Palo Alto, CA has organized a anti gun rally for tomorrow 9/17 and are proclaiming firearms as a public health problem

I contend that anti-depressants and the health care system kills far more people than “guns”.

I intend to quietly and silently, with headphones on, hold up a sign in counter protest.

They are coordinating a simultaneous rally in many locations.

We should let them know we disagree. I will show up. But I would like people
To film if these grabbers decide that I look like a victim.

They spread lies.

Anti-depressants create mass shooters. Guns create nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-16-2018, 1:13 PM
M14 Junkie's Avatar
M14 Junkie M14 Junkie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona.
Posts: 426
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Why? What's the point? Why now? Did I miss something? Someone go bananas in the area lately?

That part of the bay area literally REEKS with anti-gun sentiment. Who are they trying to make aware? 95% of the people in that area are already on board with it.

Oh, I get it..Ca. law is not already oppressive enough...need to make it more oppressive.

Last edited by M14 Junkie; 09-16-2018 at 1:17 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-16-2018, 2:03 PM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzum View Post
I contend that anti-depressants and the health care system kills far more people than “guns”.
Ah yes, "anti-depressants". The root of all evil. That and so-called "vaccinations".

Last edited by God Bless America; 09-16-2018 at 2:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2018, 2:26 PM
sfpcservice's Avatar
sfpcservice sfpcservice is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suisun City
Posts: 1,545
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Go for it! Anyone here that doesn't say great effort and nice job needs to check their motivations for even being here.
__________________
http://theresedoksheim.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/gridlock.jpg

Custom 3rd Gen 5.9 Cummins Diesel and 48RE Transmission Tuning- PM Me

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2018, 2:33 PM
The War Wagon's Avatar
The War Wagon The War Wagon is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: da' 'BURGH
Posts: 5,204
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzum View Post
I contend that anti-depressants and the health care system kills far more people than “guns”.



I contend that they're smoking some pretty rotten banana peels, to be accusing inanimate objects of, "violence!"


- Which MAKE of gun is MOST violent?
- What manufacturer makes the MOST violent guns?
- What are the warning signs, that you're previously peaceable firearm, is turning violent?
- Can violent firearms be rehabilitated?
- Is their a hotline and help, for violent firearms?




I'd demand to see these druids - I mean, "doctors" credentials; and I'd have a rubber room @ Calmwood reserved for them. They sound a few fries short of a happy meal... medically-speaking.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2018, 4:04 PM
divert_fuse's Avatar
divert_fuse divert_fuse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 129
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzum View Post
I intend to quietly and silently, with headphones on, hold up a sign in counter protest.
I suppose I can't stop you, but this will not be effective. You should think about what you can do which will be more persuasive or useful than this.

Probably the best response is to simply ignore it. It's not going to do them much good. Let them waste their time, and spend your time on something that has more impact. It may not win the war, but all you can reasonably do yourself is ensure that your own man-hours have more impact than theirs.

However, if you really want to counter the protest, silently holding up a sign is probably just going to make you look sad. To actually counter them, you have to do something which makes you appear to the audience in some respect superior. Generally, this is best done via some sort IRL troll. You look like you represent fun, and they look like the humorless scolds they are.

For example, if it could be arranged with some range, you could set up a stand to hand out coupons for a discount on a fun afternoon of target shooting! Rent 2 handguns for the price of 1! Ladies half off!

Trying to compete with a horde of Bay Area anti-gunners over who can be the most offended by some affront to their values is not a winning proposition. There are more of them than you, and they're very good at being offended. The fact that you are, in some cosmic sense, right is completely meaningless when it comes to effective political theater. If you want to do political theater, you have to be able to take a step back from your deeply-cherished beliefs and think like an outsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzum View Post
Anti-depressants create mass shooters. Guns create nothing.
I'm pretty sure nobody has anything like actual evidence to substantiate this claim. There are very few mass shooters. Mass shooters are people who are, among other features, screwy in the head. People who are screwy in the head get prescribed more drugs than people who are happy and healthy. See where this is going?

But in any case, it's irrelevant. "Prozac creates mass shooters" should not be part of your counter-protest message. It won't change any minds. And it will tend to make you look like some sort of conspiracy nut. In my opinion this is because it's actually a nutty thing to think, but even if it were true it shouldn't be part of your messaging. If you think about it, if there were reliable evidence of prozac creating mass shooters, then pro-gunners and anti-gunners could unite on the need to ban prozac, in which case why is it coming up at your counter-protest?

Also, think about it from the perspective of the typical psychiatrist. He understands depression. He sees the need for prozac. It fixes a problem and creates happiness. But he's a Californian psychiatrist, so he doesn't understand guns, and doesn't see the need for them. We all understand that, like prozac, guns produce happiness (when heated). That's the message. If we tell Dr. Psychiatrist, MD, that "Why don't you ban prozac?" and "SHALL. NOT. BE. INFRINGED." he'll think we're nuts. But if we tell him that guns are awesome, dude, maybe he'll take one of our range coupons.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2018, 4:48 PM
Kevfin's Avatar
Kevfin Kevfin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: California
Posts: 312
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Some of these anti-gunner protesters are more violent than the gun sitting in your safe. Be careful!
__________________
The race is not won to the swift or the strong, but to the one who endures until the end.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2018, 5:35 PM
EvoXguy's Avatar
EvoXguy EvoXguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 532
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfin View Post
Some of these anti-gunner protesters are more violent than the gun sitting in your safe. Be careful!

Very truthful. Good luck and keep it on a swivel OP
__________________
Peace through superior firepower
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2018, 5:54 PM
rp55's Avatar
rp55 rp55 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,728
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Purdue Pharmaceuticals kills a whole lot more people (over 2x) in the US with their products every year than all the gun manufacturers in the world.
__________________
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/rpwhite55/guns/member13443.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2018, 6:02 PM
divert_fuse's Avatar
divert_fuse divert_fuse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 129
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp55 View Post
Purdue Pharmaceuticals kills a whole lot more people (over 2x) in the US with their products every year than all the gun manufacturers in the world.
And I'm sure cars are way, way worse. Nobody cares because everybody sees the benefit of cars and pharma. I'm utterly convinced that this is a complete loser next to "Guns are fun," which seems to be working reasonably well for, say, Activision.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-16-2018, 6:14 PM
CessnaDriver's Avatar
CessnaDriver CessnaDriver is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,303
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I'd go this angle...
Guns cause violence as much as cars cause DUI deaths.
__________________
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic28512_1.gif

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2018, 6:47 PM
Drew Eckhardt Drew Eckhardt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzum View Post
Brothers and sisters

Stanford health care in Palo Alto, CA has organized a anti gun rally for tomorrow 9/17 and are proclaiming firearms as a public health problem

I contend that anti-depressants and the health care system kills far more people than “guns”.
Anti-depressants aren't the problem.

Mass media granting instant fame to spree killers inspires a few copycats. With 24x7 news coverage in our pockets and on cable TV there are more than when there was morning and evening news, on three channels, watched on the single family TV.

Fortunately these mass murders are still effectively non-existent except to the few victims, the people who knew them, and getting eyeballs in front of the advertising which accompanies "news."

With an average of 35 Americans dying annually in mass public shootings, spree killers pose 5% of the extreme danger we all face going to bed every night with nearly 700 Americans killed annually by falling out of bed.


Quote:
They spread lies.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Quote:
Anti-depressants create mass shooters. Guns create nothing.
Correlation doesn't imply causality. If it did, with guns correlated to murders Calgunners would all shoot up schools. Or the 50,000,000 Americans on anti-depressants would be killing a lot more than 35 of us annually in mass public shootings.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-16-2018 at 7:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2018, 6:52 PM
divert_fuse's Avatar
divert_fuse divert_fuse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 129
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I'd go this angle...
Guns cause violence as much as cars cause DUI deaths.
I don't mean to be impolite when I say: You're not really following the logic here, are you?

Apart from the fact that anti-gunners have heard "Gotcha!" lines like this so much that they're inoculated to them (so they only serve to allow us to hi-five each other while our rights get rolled back), the problem is that anti-gunners understand the benefits of cars on a visceral level, but they don't understand the benefits of guns in the same way. They only see the downsides. You have to make them like and want guns for them to ignore gun deaths the way they ignore car deaths.

"You can protect yourself from bad guys" isn't really great because it's typically abstract. Most of them have been protecting themselves just fine without guns so far. For that matter, so have I. By contrast, "Guns are cool" is something everybody knows is true, even if they won't admit it (especially in an adversarial context). "C'mon, try it, it's fun!" you say. Nobody wants to admit to not liking cool things and having fun.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-16-2018, 7:07 PM
colossians323's Avatar
colossians323 colossians323 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,133
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
I don't mean to be impolite when I say: You're not really following the logic here, are you?

Apart from the fact that anti-gunners have heard "Gotcha!" lines like this so much that they're inoculated to them (so they only serve to allow us to hi-five each other while our rights get rolled back), the problem is that anti-gunners understand the benefits of cars on a visceral level, but they don't understand the benefits of guns in the same way. They only see the downsides. You have to make them like and want guns for them to ignore gun deaths the way they ignore car deaths.

"You can protect yourself from bad guys" isn't really great because it's typically abstract. Most of them have been protecting themselves just fine without guns so far. For that matter, so have I. By contrast, "Guns are cool" is something everybody knows is true, even if they won't admit it (especially in an adversarial context). "C'mon, try it, it's fun!" you say. Nobody wants to admit to not liking cool things and having fun.
I suppose he can hold a ban fork/spoons sign. They cause morbid obesity which is more of a health risk than guns
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE!

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-16-2018, 7:09 PM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp55 View Post
Purdue Pharmaceuticals kills a whole lot more people (over 2x) in the US with their products every year than all the gun manufacturers in the world.
And, one is more likely to die in a hospital, than outside of one.

No more medicine! That will save us!

Said no-one ever.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-16-2018, 8:25 PM
chris's Avatar
chris chris is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In Texas for now
Posts: 18,529
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevfin View Post
Some of these anti-gunner protesters are more violent than the gun sitting in your safe. Be careful!
you're right.
__________________
http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-16-2018, 8:32 PM
Bionerd's Avatar
Bionerd Bionerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: oakland
Posts: 211
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Dont expose yourself to that, buy more ammo, get a couple more guns and support the nra. your dollars count.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-16-2018, 9:00 PM
CessnaDriver's Avatar
CessnaDriver CessnaDriver is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,303
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
I don't mean to be impolite when I say: You're not really following the logic here, are you?

Apart from the fact that anti-gunners have heard "Gotcha!" lines like this so much that they're inoculated to them (so they only serve to allow us to hi-five each other while our rights get rolled back), the problem is that anti-gunners understand the benefits of cars on a visceral level, but they don't understand the benefits of guns in the same way. They only see the downsides. You have to make them like and want guns for them to ignore gun deaths the way they ignore car deaths.

"You can protect yourself from bad guys" isn't really great because it's typically abstract. Most of them have been protecting themselves just fine without guns so far. For that matter, so have I. By contrast, "Guns are cool" is something everybody knows is true, even if they won't admit it (especially in an adversarial context). "C'mon, try it, it's fun!" you say. Nobody wants to admit to not liking cool things and having fun.
Nobody is going to flip suddenly on the matter that's for sure, but maybe some transitional logic examples to get there. One might ask them why more drug laws/bans won't work (Most would probably agree we probably have plenty of drug laws now but still massive illegal drug problems) but even more gun laws will somehow work?

If someone has demonized an inanimate object it's hard to get through I guess especially if an emotion driven political belief system is deeply held and embraces it. Only emotions perhaps can swing them out of it.

I also think trying to find some common ground, like more mental health help resources and learning better to spot red flags is at least some shared reasoning.
Perhaps then they don't think we are all some kind of monsters.
__________________
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic28512_1.gif

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-17-2018, 8:11 PM
GW's Avatar
GW GW is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 15,055
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

So, how did it go?
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-18-2018, 6:44 AM
Dan_Eastvale's Avatar
Dan_Eastvale Dan_Eastvale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,221
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Oh yeah... Palo Alto Health Care....
Who's leading it??? "Dr" Ford ?????
HaHaHa
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-18-2018, 9:25 AM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Oh yeah... Palo Alto Health Care....
Who's leading it??? "Dr" Ford ?????
HaHaHa
She is a real Doctor. She has a Ph.D. in Educational Psychology: Research Design from USC. So long as she practices educational psychology, and it appears as though she does, she can fairly use the term "Doctor" in the proper context.

Last edited by God Bless America; 09-18-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 AM
divert_fuse's Avatar
divert_fuse divert_fuse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 129
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Nobody is going to flip suddenly on the matter that's for sure, but maybe some transitional logic examples to get there.
I do wonder sometimes whether I'm wasting my time repeating this around the forum but: it's not about logic, transitional or otherwise. It's emotional. You have to think of this in terms of how you would change how people feel, not how they reason. You do seem to accept that it's about emotion, but then you talk about using transitional logic. Why? You need to stop doing that and put your logic-brain to work thinking about how to affect people's emotions.

People tend to experience most appeals to reason as attempts to hack their brain, as it were. You're an enemy trying to fool them. Even if they can't argue, they just assume you're wrong. That's how you would respond to somebody you regard as hostile.

You're right in that it's a matter of planting some sort of seed which eventually, without your intervention, blossoms into agreement. But this isn't going to be some fact about relative death rates.

"Guns are cool and fun" is an example of something which people can't argue with. The only possible retort is snark, to which you ask (genuinely) "Have you tried? No? Oh, well, I understand then. You should." It's also an example of something that cuts through the logic nonsense and achieves emotional persuasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
If someone has demonized an inanimate object it's hard to get through
I don't think it's as difficult as you suggest. Like many people, you have a very negative way of looking at this subject. You need to remind yourself of your advantages. Remember that the same things which make it possible to demonize the object in question give it the qualities of danger, mystery, and excitement. You can't be scary without being cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
I also think trying to find some common ground, like more mental health help resources and learning better to spot red flags is at least some shared reasoning.
Perhaps then they don't think we are all some kind of monsters.
I think talking about having more therapists is at best, a distraction, when it comes to persuading people. "Guns are fun" is probably better for persuading people that we're not monsters. There is a reasonably widespread view that people have guns because they're paranoid, fearful people who expect to need them imminently. Hence "Clinging to their guns" and such.

I've spent way longer studying martial arts than would make sense for self-defense purposes, because it's fun, interesting, and good for your health. I never thought I'd really need to chop-socky people that badly. People understand this about martial arts. You don't train yourself to the point of being able to beat up a room full of big, strong men because you think you'll need to. It's a hobby and a means of self-improvement. That's why people don't regard martial arts training as something to suspect or ban.

Seriously, people ask me why I need guns. I say I don't, but they're fun. You can watch their opinions start to change. I say go with what works.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-18-2018, 11:31 AM
xsefan xsefan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,604
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzum View Post
Brothers and sisters

Stanford health care in Palo Alto, CA has organized a anti gun rally for tomorrow 9/17 and are proclaiming firearms as a public health problem

I contend that anti-depressants and the health care system kills far more people than “guns”.

I intend to quietly and silently, with headphones on, hold up a sign in counter protest.

They are coordinating a simultaneous rally in many locations.

We should let them know we disagree. I will show up. But I would like people
To film if these grabbers decide that I look like a victim.

They spread lies.

Anti-depressants create mass shooters. Guns create nothing.
Funny medical malpractice is the in the top ways to die in America. Guns are not
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Bionerd's Avatar
Bionerd Bionerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: oakland
Posts: 211
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
I do wonder sometimes whether I'm wasting my time repeating this around the forum but: it's not about logic, transitional or otherwise. It's emotional. You have to think of this in terms of how you would change how people feel, not how they reason. You do seem to accept that it's about emotion, but then you talk about using transitional logic. Why? You need to stop doing that and put your logic-brain to work thinking about how to affect people's emotions.



People tend to experience most appeals to reason as attempts to hack their brain, as it were. You're an enemy trying to fool them. Even if they can't argue, they just assume you're wrong. That's how you would respond to somebody you regard as hostile.



You're right in that it's a matter of planting some sort of seed which eventually, without your intervention, blossoms into agreement. But this isn't going to be some fact about relative death rates.



"Guns are cool and fun" is an example of something which people can't argue with. The only possible retort is snark, to which you ask (genuinely) "Have you tried? No? Oh, well, I understand then. You should." It's also an example of something that cuts through the logic nonsense and achieves emotional persuasion.







I don't think it's as difficult as you suggest. Like many people, you have a very negative way of looking at this subject. You need to remind yourself of your advantages. Remember that the same things which make it possible to demonize the object in question give it the qualities of danger, mystery, and excitement. You can't be scary without being cool.







I think talking about having more therapists is at best, a distraction, when it comes to persuading people. "Guns are fun" is probably better for persuading people that we're not monsters. There is a reasonably widespread view that people have guns because they're paranoid, fearful people who expect to need them imminently. Hence "Clinging to their guns" and such.



I've spent way longer studying martial arts than would make sense for self-defense purposes, because it's fun, interesting, and good for your health. I never thought I'd really need to chop-socky people that badly. People understand this about martial arts. You don't train yourself to the point of being able to beat up a room full of big, strong men because you think you'll need to. It's a hobby and a means of self-improvement. That's why people don't regard martial arts training as something to suspect or ban.



Seriously, people ask me why I need guns. I say I don't, but they're fun. You can watch their opinions start to change. I say go with what works.


Exactly, trying to justify having firearms in a way they would get scared of isn’t smart. In no way should a gun owner sound like he/she fantasizes with using it against other humans.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Dan_Eastvale's Avatar
Dan_Eastvale Dan_Eastvale is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,221
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
She is a real Doctor. She has a Ph.D. in Educational Psychology: Research Design from USC. So long as she practices educational psychology, and it appears as though she does, she can fairly use the term "Doctor" in the proper context.
Then she should behave as one. shrink needing a shrink.. To me pseudoscience anyway

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 09-18-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsefan View Post
Funny medical malpractice is the in the top ways to die in America. Guns are not
One looks like low-hanging fruit, the other is seen as bad luck.

The hardest part of our fight us getting people to see this rationally. But that is hard to do when it is kids dying needlessly from gun violence, no matter what the real cause (which I believe is a cultural problem).

Last edited by God Bless America; 09-18-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-18-2018, 1:22 PM
Xerxes Xerxes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,598
iTrader: 61 / 100%
Default

None of my guns have ever shown tendency to be violent.

Where are the rallies against black people violence or gang violence or the leftist counter protester violence by Antifa?

How about the medical community violence where when you get old they hold you upside down on the shaker machine and shake it everyday till no more money comes out then they send you to the death where house.

Or the medicines they hack like the snake oil salesman who came to town one day then sneak out of town late at night a week later. Last I heard there are 40,000 deaths just from prescription Opioid's and that is not even the worse one.

What I hate most of all is that the maintaining of public records for the medical and legal community is against the law. You have no clue how many malpractice lawsuits have been filed or complaints filed when you go searching for a doctor or a lawyer. The attempts to have private institutions track these two results in legal action-including lawsuits for libel. There is no central database for these folks, and they fight and kick and scream and pay lots of bribes (in the USA bribes is spelled differently-C_O_N_T_R_I_B_U_T_I_O_N or they get to go on fact finding vacations and such) to prevent any such from happening.

I have to register my firearm and now they want my firearm to micros tamp the primer but we have no such tracking regulations on those two corrupt institutions.

The idiots just don't get it. They think it wrong to do a study on Black People Violence and consider it hate group and racist to promote such but the other protected group, the second such in the USA, is considered necessary and not hate or racism.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-18-2018, 2:17 PM
Trriemferent's Avatar
Trriemferent Trriemferent is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,222
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Wish OP would check in with an update. I'm going to assume it was uneventful since it didn't make the news
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-18-2018, 4:46 PM
M14 Junkie's Avatar
M14 Junkie M14 Junkie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona.
Posts: 426
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trriemferent View Post
Wish OP would check in with an update. I'm going to assume it was uneventful since it didn't make the news
Probably didn't go..... realized the futility of it and also didn't want to look cartoonish standing around with headphones on and holding a sign....
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-18-2018, 5:44 PM
Prwterbird Prwterbird is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 45
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I always find that those who oppose guns have no experience and often project their fear onto everyone. They don't trust themselves thus they don't think anyone can be trusted.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-18-2018, 7:30 PM
davidj davidj is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

This is the update. Click on link for further info.

Stanford Doctors: It's Time To Ban All Semi-Automatic Firearms


https://townhall.com/notebook/bethba...earms-n2520292

Last edited by davidj; 09-19-2018 at 8:11 PM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-18-2018, 8:54 PM
God Bless America's Avatar
God Bless America God Bless America is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,910
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prwterbird View Post
They don't trust themselves thus they don't think anyone can be trusted.
That has actually been my experience with Europeans. "Good thing I can't have a gun or I would shoot somebody."

But they wouldn't.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-18-2018, 9:29 PM
IVC's Avatar
IVC IVC is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Temecula
Posts: 14,050
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
I'm pretty sure nobody has anything like actual evidence to substantiate this claim. There are very few mass shooters. Mass shooters are people who are, among other features, screwy in the head. People who are screwy in the head get prescribed more drugs than people who are happy and healthy. See where this is going?
For someone who advocates "emotional arguments" you are pretty dismissive of one - who cares if it's true when it's getting traction. Drugs and video games are just an emotional substitution...
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-18-2018, 9:31 PM
IVC's Avatar
IVC IVC is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Temecula
Posts: 14,050
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
They only see the downsides. You have to make them like and want guns for them to ignore gun deaths the way they ignore car deaths.
Put batteries in and make it shake...
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-19-2018, 3:48 PM
divert_fuse's Avatar
divert_fuse divert_fuse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 129
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
who cares if it's true when it's getting traction.
Because it won't be of any use for advancing gun rights. "The real danger from guns is X" doesn't work, because J.Q. GunGrabber is totally happy to address X and ban guns. You need to focus on the positive case for guns (they're awesome), because it's the only thing that can work.

Once again, cars are way more dangerous than guns, but the positive case for cars is widely understood. As a result, everybody pretends the danger of cars does not exist. This is NOT a debating point. It's not what you should be telling people to persuade them. It's something you should keep firmly in mind when you think about how to persuade people. What will make them ignore the downsides?

If, hypothetically, guns were not awesome, it would make sense to ban them. Why let even one person die, or even be injured, or even just be annoyed by the sound, unless there was some upside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
That has actually been my experience with Europeans. "Good thing I can't have a gun or I would shoot somebody."

But they wouldn't.
Well, it's not that simple. You may notice that people who pick drunken brawls are rarely any good at fighting. Experienced martial artists mostly don't do it. There's a real connection between a lack of experience and comfort with violence and a propensity to get into it.

I don't want to rewrite my post from elsewhere or go into this too much in depth, but basically learning and getting good with guns will actually make you less likely to shoot people. Given that you can't stop people from getting guns, even in California, I think a person who knows a bit about the care and feeding of guns is less likely to try to shoot me, and would thus prefer that more people did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Put batteries in and make it shake...
Speaking of which, I sometimes wonder whether the best line for opposing the handgun roster would be: It's preventing the introduction and development of smart guns.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-19-2018, 4:21 PM
Fox Mulder's Avatar
Fox Mulder Fox Mulder is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: My gun has killed less people than Uber’s self driving car.
Posts: 423
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Well, IMHO the best way to deal with these protests is to spike them. Take their position to the most extreme you can, and see if you can get them to join you.

Make a sign that says “ABOLISH THE 2ND AMENDMENT! LOAD GUN OWNERS ONTO BOXCARS!!”

Such extremism will solidify the middle to our side, and make the wing nuts look worse. Bonus points if you can get it on the idiot box.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-19-2018, 4:30 PM
heyjerr's Avatar
heyjerr heyjerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Woodside, CA
Posts: 969
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Would love to hear from the OP as to how it went (IF he went).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-19-2018, 5:21 PM
CessnaDriver's Avatar
CessnaDriver CessnaDriver is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,303
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divert_fuse View Post
I do wonder sometimes whether I'm wasting my time repeating this around the forum but: it's not about logic, transitional or otherwise. It's emotional. You have to think of this in terms of how you would change how people feel, not how they reason. You do seem to accept that it's about emotion, but then you talk about using transitional logic. Why? You need to stop doing that and put your logic-brain to work thinking about how to affect people's emotions.

People tend to experience most appeals to reason as attempts to hack their brain, as it were. You're an enemy trying to fool them. Even if they can't argue, they just assume you're wrong. That's how you would respond to somebody you regard as hostile.

You're right in that it's a matter of planting some sort of seed which eventually, without your intervention, blossoms into agreement. But this isn't going to be some fact about relative death rates.

"Guns are cool and fun" is an example of something which people can't argue with. The only possible retort is snark, to which you ask (genuinely) "Have you tried? No? Oh, well, I understand then. You should." It's also an example of something that cuts through the logic nonsense and achieves emotional persuasion.



I don't think it's as difficult as you suggest. Like many people, you have a very negative way of looking at this subject. You need to remind yourself of your advantages. Remember that the same things which make it possible to demonize the object in question give it the qualities of danger, mystery, and excitement. You can't be scary without being cool.



I think talking about having more therapists is at best, a distraction, when it comes to persuading people. "Guns are fun" is probably better for persuading people that we're not monsters. There is a reasonably widespread view that people have guns because they're paranoid, fearful people who expect to need them imminently. Hence "Clinging to their guns" and such.

I've spent way longer studying martial arts than would make sense for self-defense purposes, because it's fun, interesting, and good for your health. I never thought I'd really need to chop-socky people that badly. People understand this about martial arts. You don't train yourself to the point of being able to beat up a room full of big, strong men because you think you'll need to. It's a hobby and a means of self-improvement. That's why people don't regard martial arts training as something to suspect or ban.

Seriously, people ask me why I need guns. I say I don't, but they're fun. You can watch their opinions start to change. I say go with what works.
Street legal sports cars can be bought that can go triple the highest legal speed limits. There has been no cry to ban them I guess because they are fun.
So sure there is that aspect, shooting is fun and maybe that is the key
for some people to crack the door open. Once they peek inside perhaps then that 2nd amendment and massive self defense value start to come into sight. I do agree whatever works but it's got to get to the core reasons eventually.
__________________
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic28512_1.gif

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-19-2018, 6:28 PM
divert_fuse's Avatar
divert_fuse divert_fuse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 129
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
Well, IMHO the best way to deal with these protests is to spike them. Take their position to the most extreme you can, and see if you can get them to join you.

Make a sign that says “ABOLISH THE 2ND AMENDMENT! LOAD GUN OWNERS ONTO BOXCARS!!”

Such extremism will solidify the middle to our side, and make the wing nuts look worse. Bonus points if you can get it on the idiot box.
Apart from the fact that this is dishonest, and could backfire, I don't think it even works well to begin with. A political in-group may relish an expose of the extremism of their opponents, but people closer to the middle still tend to ignore the extreme wing of their own side in practice.

If I'm a moderate anti-gunner, I probably wouldn't remember the sign above very long, because I barely think we have any chance of abolishing 2A, let alone shipping gun owners to labor camps in Alaska or whatever. All I see is the sort of nutty politico who isn't going to persuade the opposing moderates, but is still useful because he's committed and hardworking. He's the type you can get to perform thankless tasks like canvassing and phone-banking. He will, at any rate, actually bother to vote. And his sincerely-held views will never be implemented, so who cares? I wonder what's on TV later?

And really, if you've ever been to a left-wing rally of any kind lately (I'm in SF where it's unavoidable), half the people have shown up to promote their personal sect of Nth International Communism, regardless of the supposed purpose of the rally. The "Gay Fist Strike Force Against Racism" joke from "Bonfire of the Vanities" was, if anything, too normal and coherent for a Bay Area rally. Also, at some point devotees of Lyndon LaRouche will show up to point out that nuclear annihilation is unavoidable unless we all start listening to Bach and avoid nonconstructive math or something. You're just gonna get lost in the noise.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-20-2018, 4:47 AM
JoyfulJoker JoyfulJoker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Flat Earth:)
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

It should just have been an anti violence rally.
The real question is why we Americans are so mentally undeveloped. Anger is the cause of violence . Anger does not stem from an outer source , but an inner problem. If you think that anger comes from an outer source , you will never be in control of your own mind. You will never find peace in the mind. Why are we as a culture so quick to embrace anger as a viable reaction to anything when we lose as soon as we get angry? Canadians have as many guns as we do but are less likely to fly into a rage and kill each other. Why are we so infantile that we throw a tantrum when the world does not revolve around our every desire ( the things we wanted to happen didn’t happen and the things we didn’t want to happen did happen ). It’s baffling.

I love my gun . I’m not an angry person . I know that when people think of gun owners , they think of people who are slaves to their own emotions and paranoid. Simply not true. If my wife chose to leave me , I would own it , not go to a court house and shoot her.

No gun law in the world can legislate a maturity towards working with and being in control of your own mind. An undeveloped understanding of the mind is what leads to most mental disturbance , which leads to violence , not access to guns. You could put a 10’ High pile of guns next to me and I wouldn’t shoot at someone because they cut me off or looked at me wrong or I imagine them as some cultural boogie man.

Why are we so mentally undeveloped as culture is the real question. Solve that and the gun question will disappear.

I’m tired of telling people what to do and how to think . I work on understanding and working with my own mind. My gun is to protect my wife and myself from people who have no control over theirs. That’s why I think the laws are silly, they don’t deal with the real issue: our hyper angry culture.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:05 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.