Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 01-17-2018, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Data books? What is everyone using, tutorials?

Ive been poking around for an hour looking at youtube videos and searching google for printable data book pages and/or a premade data book.

Im new to precision shooting and would like to keep a data book, but i am not really sure what i “need”.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit, recently bought a 700 5r and am hoping to sight it in in the next week. 24” barrel, .308, HDMR II 3x21x50 scope, looking to get into mid to long range shooting, maybe matches. Zero rounds down the tube at present.

Looking at storm tactical, but dont really have a reason to favor one over another.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 01-18-2018, 4:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well I've made my own. On an XL spreadsheet. Most people don't need all the crap that comes in a storm book. and thats why i made my own, All I want is what rifle and caliber, weather conditions including altitude density and my drops thats it. That and they are bloody expensive for what you can use.

For $65 on Amazon you can buy a ream of write in the rain paper, print your sheets on that and be good.

Send me an email address and I'll send you a file with PDF's and the raw XL sheets along with some educational sheets too. You print what you want and run with it. I also have a PDF from a german data book. has some cool stuff in it but mostly stuff a civilian will never use. CMP has record books too more for recording your score then recording drop.
Old 01-18-2018, 7:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you, sir. Pm sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 01-18-2018, 8:37 AM

Midrange matches are a great learning opportunity. Helpful people, a fairly large target, flags, and immediate marking of your shot to correlate to the current wind/weather/flags.
Old 01-18-2018, 8:53 PM

My best data boom as been One Note. I can input everything I want how I want. Has limitations but after that I have a journal and pen at the ready
Old 01-19-2018, 4:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Thank you, sir. Pm sent.
You have mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrifter View Post
My best data boom as been One Note. I can input everything I want how I want. Has limitations but after that I have a journal and pen at the ready
I guess I'm old school because XL is less freeform more structured, I had to look up OneNote, I'd have to spend some time playing with it to learn how to use it.

Last edited by kcstott; 01-19-2018 at 4:18 AM..
Old 02-26-2018, 12:39 PM

+1 for OneNote,

I use a pen and paper when I'm out there, so I scribble wind calls, and dope, and at the end of the practice I will take a picture of the targets (if doing load development) with my phone using the OneNote app.. When I get home I'll go back and organize my chicken scratch afterwards. Make the tables and note pages all pretty.

Very helpful when I'm doing load development... and coming back to things 3 months later wondering where I left off.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
I guess I'm old school because XL is less freeform more structured, I had to look up OneNote, I'd have to spend some time playing with it to learn how to use it.
OneNote is a brilliant adaptation of the MS Office products. What makes it better is that you can insert Excel or PowerPoint or Word files directly into a note. Then you can write notes directly on the screen. You can even turn handwriting into typed text.

I use it all the time at work. Of course to really get the benefit, you'll need a touch screen pad/tablet or notebook computer.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 02-27-2018, 9:30 PM

http://www.stormtactical.com/

These guys also support the troops in a big way.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Elevator Mechanic
CGN Contributor

*deleted

WTB cheap/used AK MFER.

Last edited by drunktank; 02-28-2018 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Poor reading/comprehension skills!
Old 02-28-2018, 11:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktank View Post
You're doing the Lord's work! PM inbound, thank you!
No Sir Iím not. This data book was offered to one person only.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All right guys
Let me reorganize this book. Get some water marks on my work and I’ll put up a link for a free download. All I have rights to is my XL pages so I can’t charge anything as a package deal
Old 02-28-2018, 12:40 PM

Having a table to record round count is handy.

But it's only useful if you always remember to log how many rounds fired on every range trip.

If I forget to log it on the day, I look through my plastic ammo boxes to see how many empties there are.
Old 02-28-2018, 1:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
Having a table to record round count is handy.

But it's only useful if you always remember to log how many rounds fired on every range trip.

If I forget to log it on the day, I look through my plastic ammo boxes to see how many empties there are.
And you should also be keeping track of your trips to the range, any matches you compete in. Date, Time, location, Weather, AD, amount of elevation to get on target, how well you did, issues you had, and number of rounds fired that day. All that should be on a write in the rain note pad along with a shoot log sheet in a binder for all your weapons

Last edited by kcstott; 02-28-2018 at 1:09 PM..
Old 03-01-2018, 4:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ok As Promissed. This is a basic data book I need to edit it and add a page but that can be done shortly.
Unlike the storm book I don't have check lists for calling in artillery strikes, or Medivacs. If you need that stuff go talk to your unit NCO. This is for civilians shooting paper or steel at distance, not mall ninjas trying to be something they are not. the pages are laid so you can print the ones you like.
If you own a Mac you can open in Preview and do some coarse editing and separate pages as you need to.
I'm going to combine the XL sheets on one work book and get it linked up to. that way you guys can do what ever you like.

Data book
PM me fo suggestions on what to add or changes you'd like to see. If they are in keeping with a simple basic data book sure I'll consider it.

Last edited by kcstott; 03-20-2018 at 9:51 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

I really like the Impact Data Books INC. products. I got the
Premade Data Book, Premade Pocket Book and added the B27 pages and love it. Thanks for posting your stuff though will take a look.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 03-20-2018, 9:18 AM

Here are the pages I have found in various open source downloads. They are PDFs intended for printing and using in 1/2 size 3-ring binders. I print on heavy stock and trim/punch to fit. I use different color paper for each section. Light color for notes and DOPE, green for shot tracking at the range, salmon for reference info. Put in a 1/2" half-size 3-ring binder. I tied a pencil to a length of paracord and put a loop on the end and snap that into one of the rings.

Pages:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Dg?usp=sharing

Few images:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7V...ew?usp=sharing