Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 AM

Default Howa HCR vs Ruger Precesion Rifle

What are your thoughts between the two? I'm looking at 6.5 CM and narrowed down between the two. The whole thing started with me looking to simply upgrade a remington 700 and now im obsessed with getting a new 6.5cm rifle.

Let me know what you think!
Old 06-28-2017, 5:01 AM

When it comes to getting a new barrel I think the RPR and the Remington have the advantage. When getting a rifle of this style I think it's important to know where your next barrel might come from and how are you going to get it installed. Other upgrades might be on your wishlist once you start shooting.

I had a Howa once and wanted to upgrade it. After looking at the options for upgrading I decided to sell it. It is a fine rifle for the price, but limited compared to the other two above when it comes to finding upgrades, barrels etc.

I just looked up the HCR and say pass. Fellow Calgunners don't let other fellow Calgunners put Nikko Sterling optics on their precision rifles. Plan on spending the appropriate dollars on an optic suitable for the rifle.

Last edited by lrj812; 06-28-2017 at 5:07 AM.. Reason: Optics comment
Old 06-28-2017, 5:18 AM
Veteran Member

Move on from the money pit Gremlington and be happy.
Old 06-28-2017, 5:20 AM

Keep the 700, turn it into a Remage and you can put it into what ever chassis system you want.

You can get the barrel's and barrel nuts from a number of places. Northlandshootersuppy.com is one of them.

Howa's are nice, but there is a lack of aftermarket support. Even factory support for replacement barrels... I would get an RPR, or Savage is you were set on buying a new rifle in a chassis and your budget was less than $1200. If you have more to spend, you can look at the Tika, or Bergara, or have a rifle built.

Last edited by symbology; 06-28-2017 at 5:26 AM..