Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-03-2018, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBishop View Post
While I’m not the one you asked - this link has most of the answers you sought:

http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm
Shocking, but true, if there's a change in policy, the website does not necessary get updated immediately to reflect that change.

Again shocking, but true -- actual practices may differ from written policies.

ETA: the focus of my query is what fees, when and how much must be paid prior to a decision on your GC statement. IOW, how much money does an applicant lose on a denied attempt?

ETA2: I had a chance to compare what I think 04Glider2 described and what the SO's policy says and they're both in accord: you only have to pay to have a LiveScan done prior to your GC decision. After your GC has been accepted is when you pay for training and SO fees. Bottom line: if you've got more than SD to use as your GC and you've got evidence to support it, you only have to risk the expense of a LiveScan to see if you can get a CoCoCo CCW.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 05-04-2018 at 7:36 PM..
Old 05-05-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I want to make sure I'm understanding you.

1st some background questions: have you gone through the process? Did you get issued or denied? Was this before or after they switched to an online process?

Next. If I understand you correctly, you say that (1) you submit the application (online nowadays).

(2) They mail you the LiveScan form, and you go somewhere (UPS store?) and pay $?? get that done. (How much did/does that cost using their form?)

The LiveScan is the ONLY fee/charge you have to pay before your 1st interview and GC determination.

Next is (3) the interview where they will tell you whether your GC passes or not, whether you passed the background GMC check, and whether you can proceed. Correct? If you are told you can proceed, you schedule and pay $65 fee for training class w/range qualification. Correct?

Next is (4) attending the training class and passing the range qual. If you pass (they'll know right then), can you pay them the $100 fee for the license at class?

Last (5) is being told that your permit is ready to be picked up and to bring $100 fee for the 2 year license. (Or is this handled online and permit mailed to you?)
Paladin has it mostly right, but to clarify:
Download and fill out app, mail or drop off in person, not done online
They will send a special Live Scan form to you.
You pay for and get the Live Scan, results typically take 6 to 8 weeks.
If you get to the interview you passed the backround check
A lieutenant will do the interview, you will not be told right there if you qualify. It goes up the chain to the Sheriff.
Several more weeks waiting.
You will be notified you passed by phone and arrangements are made to pay the fees and setup the range training. Sounds like a visit to their office may be required at this point. Seems like you pay at this point for both the range and the permit.
AT the range, classroom law review, take a written test and then qualify with one or both of the two guns allowed, no 1911's or SSE guns allowed.
I doubt they will tell you if you passed or not at the range but I suspect you will know yourself if you passed.
If all goes well you will be notified by phone that your permit is ready and you can pick it up or have it mailed.

All this is covered in the link posted by Delta Bishop additionaly they have a CCW coordinator that you can call with any questions.

By the way, someone I know just got their CCW in Placer County and they are doing 7 interviews per day at this time. Don't know the pass or fail rate though.
Old 05-05-2018, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Glider2 View Post
Paladin has it mostly right, but to clarify:
Download and fill out app, mail or drop off in person, not done online
They will send a special Live Scan form to you.
You pay for and get the Live Scan, results typically take 6 to 8 weeks.
If you get to the interview you passed the backround check
A lieutenant will do the interview, you will not be told right there if you qualify. It goes up the chain to the Sheriff.
Several more weeks waiting.
You will be notified you passed by phone and arrangements are made to pay the fees and setup the range training. Sounds like a visit to their office may be required at this point. Seems like you pay at this point for both the range and the permit.
AT the range, classroom law review, take a written test and then qualify with one or both of the two guns allowed, no 1911's or SSE guns allowed.
I doubt they will tell you if you passed or not at the range but I suspect you will know yourself if you passed.
If all goes well you will be notified by phone that your permit is ready and you can pick it up or have it mailed.

All this is covered in the link posted by Delta Bishop additionaly they have a CCW coordinator that you can call with any questions.
I think you skipped over some important Qs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I want to make sure I'm understanding you.

1st some background questions: have you gone through the process? Did you get issued or denied? Was this before or after they switched to an online process?

Next. If I understand you correctly, ...
If you haven't applied and are just regurgitating the info on the SO's website ... um, I read it myself.

FWIW, it looks like they either pulled their online application process or I was mistaken when I said that they switched to online apps.

FWIW2, they've got a new CCW Coordinator. Compare to post #970 above.
Quote:
Cristina Caballero, CCW Coordinator
Telephone: (925) 335-1547
Email: CCaba@so.cccounty.us

Old 05-05-2018, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you rely on only self defense in your GC statement you will probably get the "the fear of victimization is not enough" turn down letter.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 05-05-2018, 9:30 PM

SSE guns are allowed
Old 05-09-2018, 5:36 AM

Just received my election ballet. Looks like the current Sheriff is running unopposed. Ugh. Looks like we're stuck with him for a while.
Old 05-21-2018, 8:11 AM

Unopposed....so virtual non-issue for regular joe Contra Costa citizens again?
Old 05-22-2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzai272 View Post
Just received my election ballet. Looks like the current Sheriff is running unopposed. Ugh. Looks like we're stuck with him for a while.
I'll generalize and opine that Contra Costa County (aka CoCo) (I live there) is run by the Democrat Party. Anytime there's an unopposed election, or any election in which we have the choice between two Democrats, there is no democracy.

I'm also a member of the growing mass of law abiding citizens in CoCo whose concealed carry permits have been summarily rejected by this Sheriff. There is no 2A in CoCo.

ďYou and I have a rendezvous with destiny. Weíll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or weíll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. Ē (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:01 PM

Would love to start collecting stats here (maybe anonymously, using a poll?) on what kind of GC was used by those individuals who (a) obtained a CoCoCo CCW and (b) had to prove GC.

In order to do so, we would need to build a list of “GC reasons” used that are specific enough to apply to all cases (makes for good polls) and generic enough so that we don’t have 500 reasons (makes for bad polls). Perhaps once we have a list of 5-10 items we can add a poll (or start a new “CoCoCo GC Poll” thread).

If this has been done before, or if the mods think this is a bad idea, feel free to say so.

Here’s my first attempt at the list, but would love for everyone here to chime in.

(1) Self Defense
(2) Domestic (restraining order against someone, previous victim of a crime, etc.)
(3) Politician (your last name is Fienstien, Newsom, etc.)
(4) Potential Victim (frequently carry thousands in cash, bags of jewelry, etc.)
(5) Daily BART Rider (is an explanation necessary?)
(6) Bacon (I mean, this is CalGuns)
(7) Other

Last edited by scbauer; 08-13-2018 at 11:03 PM..
Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Would love to start collecting stats here (maybe anonymously, using a poll?) on what kind of GC was used by those individuals who (a) obtained a CoCoCo CCW and (b) had to prove GC.
I don't think I've ever seen someone state what their accepted good cause was. Plenty of people stating what didn't get accepted but those who won the lottery or paid off the Sheriff's dept with donations are (probably wisely) keeping it tight lipped.

I just completed my application but probably won't send it in as my GC statements are all variations on those that have been denied so many times already.

Would "I don't want to get hassled by open carrying " be a legit GC after the recent Hawaii decision?

Sigh

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I don't think I've ever seen someone state what their accepted good cause was. Plenty of people stating what didn't get accepted but those who won the lottery or paid off the Sheriff's dept with donations are (probably wisely) keeping it tight lipped.
I agree that I havenít seen it either, but perhaps an anonymous poll would help people share? Or perhaps itís simply that no one has asked here.

Anyone care to share?
Old 09-18-2018, 7:28 AM

Have you looked through the old FOIA good causes that were published? I'm sure you can still find them online. They're 10(+?) years old now but probably not much has changed. However the dept's statement to the press last year was that they evaluate "the whole person," so it's not just a matter of writing down what somebody else wrote down.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Have you looked through the old FOIA good causes that were published? I'm sure you can still find them online.
I took a peek but haven't had any luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Here's the updated CA CCW GC map. FWIW, I expect Sonoma to go at least yellow, maybe light green when their new sheriff takes office in January and Yolo might go to yellow, maybe even light green. IOW, we are closing in on having only the lower 6 SFBA counties + Santa Cruz + Santa Barbara + LA + Imperial counties to fight. We have been and are continuing to win the CCW fight in CA!

Imagine this map with Sonoma and Yolo light green and you'll see CoCoCo is the next logical county to win. But CoCoCo will NOT be won until CoCoCo residents on CGN step up and say, "I want to help fight in anyway I can so that I can get a CoCoCo SO CCW." Post it here and PM me.

Don't expect the courts to save you. Look at how many years (and sheriff's election cycles), were wasted because you assumed we'd win Sykes/Peruta. Don't make that same mistake with Young/Nichols.... Don't put all your eggs in the federal courts' basket. Diversify your attack.

Don't expect someone else to do your work for you. If you do nothing, nothing will change.... You have less than 4 years until the next sheriff's election. You've got to get a county-wide political organization strong enough to replace a sitting sheriff up and running in that time, an organization like San Diego County Gun Owners. http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/

Last edited by Paladin; 09-20-2018 at 3:09 PM..
Old 09-19-2018, 2:55 AM

Default CoCoCo CCW

Hi all,

Long time stalker here on CalGuns, but this is my first post.

I own a few different companies, one of which makes it very common for me to carry 40+ grand in cash. Company is in Oakland.....

The other is a fishing manufacturing company and I frequently launch my boat in the middle of no where to shoot footage or do product testing and quite often itís at 3-4 AM.

Do I have enough GC? I would rather not waste my time if this GC isnít enough.

I live in Danville and they delegate CCW to the COCO SO.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-20-2018, 6:41 AM

I want to help fight in anyway I can so that I can get a CoCoCo SO CCW
Old 09-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_savitskiy View Post
The other is a fishing manufacturing company and I frequently launch my boat in the middle of no where to shoot footage or do product testing and quite often itís at 3-4 AM.

1) You need to have an assistant for your product testing, and I happen to live close to you.

2) I believe you do have sufficient good cause, assuming you don't have any skeletons in your closet that the background investigation might turn up.

Go to the website, fill out the form, and submit it. I can guarantee you that if your background check comes back clean then you will at least be able to get a face to face interview. Present well there, and who knows.....

You've got nothing to lose except the price of the Livescan.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 10-01-2018, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation Oct 2, Tues, Orinda City Council vote on "safe storage" ordinance

(cross posting due to importance & urgency)

Quote:
Leaders in this East Bay city will on Tuesday night consider approving an ordinance that would require firearms and certain other weapons to be stored in a locked, secure container when not being handled or carried on one's person.

Orinda's proposed ordinance defines "firearm" or "weapon" as "any instrument or device which propels a shell, shot, pellet, cartridge, bullet, arrow or other projectile by any force including, but not limited to, air, gas, explosion, spring, elasticity or leverage." This covers pistols, revolvers, shotguns and other firearms' air guns, any bow and arrow with a pull of 15 pounds or more, and crossbows and similar archery devices.

Similar safe storage ordinances have been approved in cities including Moraga, San Francisco, Oakland, Santa Cruz, Belvedere and Tiburon.

The National Rifle Association and other plaintiffs sued San Francisco in 2014, claiming that city's safe storage ordinance violated the Second Amendment. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals found that the law did not significantly burden the right to possess a handgun in the home for self-defense, because modern storage facilities can be accessed quickly.

<snip>

The City Council is also set to receive a report Tuesday night related to residential sales of Firearms in Orinda.

If approved Tuesday night, the ordinance would be formally approved at the Oct. 16 City Council meeting, and would take effect Nov. 15.

Tuesday's meeting begins at 7 p.m. in the Orinda Library auditorium, 26 Orinda Way.
More at:
https://www.sfgate.com/news/bayarea/...l-13269438.php

ETA: Oh, yeah. Why am I doing this yet again for county where I don't even live? Where are all the CoCoCo 2nd A activists??? There are 3 CoCoCo NRA Members Councils. Where's posts from them, any one of them, about this? Doesn't CGN even matter anymore?

Last edited by Paladin; 10-01-2018 at 9:32 PM..
Old 10-03-2018, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Going to start in on my process now. It 'seems' that there may be a glimmer of hope for us regular citizens.

Check out from post #56 or so. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1480720&page=2

If anyone has direct and recent experience with approval, if possible, please provide your Good Cause and any particular specifics, please let us know here on this thread (if you're willing to provide).

Much appreciated!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
I'll generalize and opine that Contra Costa County (aka CoCo) (I live there) is run by the Democrat Party. Anytime there's an unopposed election, or any election in which we have the choice between two Democrats, there is no democracy.
IIRC, Livingston, like Ahern in Ala Co and Smith in Santa Clara Co, is a Republican....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
I'm also a member of the growing mass of law abiding citizens in CoCo whose concealed carry permits have been summarily rejected by this Sheriff. There is no 2A in CoCo.
Since neither SCOTUS nor CA9 has said there's a 2nd A RBA, that's a non-starter. We're here to find out about getting issued CCW permits (CA state permission slips).

Old 10-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I own a few different companies, one of which makes it very common for me to carry 40+ grand in cash. Company is in Oakland.....

The other is a fishing manufacturing company and I frequently launch my boat in the middle of no where to shoot footage or do product testing and quite often it’s at 3-4 AM.

Do I have enough GC? I would rather not waste my time if this GC isn’t enough.

Sounds good to me. As long as you've got a clean criminal background (i.e., will pass the GMC hurdle), I'd go for it. It only cost you the LiveScan fee and some time & effort to find out.

Be sure to let us know how it goes AFTER you're all done (denied or approved).

Last edited by Paladin; 10-04-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 PM

What would be examples of "heightened good cause" vs "exceptional good cause"?
Old 10-04-2018, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
What would be examples of "heightened good cause" vs "exceptional good cause"?
HEIGHTENED GOOD CAUSE
"I'm a female residential real estate agent who meets strangers alone at all hours to show them homes. (See letter from my broker/employer attesting such.) I've had several clients who've made me feel afraid."

vs.

EXCEPTIONAL GOOD CAUSE
"I'm a female residential real estate agent who meets strangers alone at all hours to show them homes. (See letter from my broker/employer attesting such.) I've had several clients who've made me feel afraid. This year during a showing I was attacked and almost raped. (See attached police report and court documents.)"

Last edited by Paladin; 10-14-2018 at 4:50 PM..
Old 10-13-2018, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hi all,

Long time stalker here on CalGuns, but this is my first post.

Thanks guys.
When I went through my interview I was asked about carrying cash around. Do I collect rents in cash or make cash deposits at the bank after closing a business at night? I was also asked if I had any threats against me. Cut to the chase I was denied because "The fear of victimization is not enough". I was very qualified and had CCW for other states, past military service and I already and plenty of training. That was a couple of years ago.

I have been encouraged to apply again since some circumstances have changed, still no cash issue or threats.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home