Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-03-2018, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBishop View Post
While I’m not the one you asked - this link has most of the answers you sought:

http://www.cocosheriff.org/howdoi/ccw_permit.htm
Shocking, but true, if there's a change in policy, the website does not necessary get updated immediately to reflect that change.

Again shocking, but true -- actual practices may differ from written policies.

ETA: the focus of my query is what fees, when and how much must be paid prior to a decision on your GC statement. IOW, how much money does an applicant lose on a denied attempt?

ETA2: I had a chance to compare what I think 04Glider2 described and what the SO's policy says and they're both in accord: you only have to pay to have a LiveScan done prior to your GC decision. After your GC has been accepted is when you pay for training and SO fees. Bottom line: if you've got more than SD to use as your GC and you've got evidence to support it, you only have to risk the expense of a LiveScan to see if you can get a CoCoCo CCW.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 05-04-2018 at 7:36 PM..
Old 05-05-2018, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I want to make sure I'm understanding you.

1st some background questions: have you gone through the process? Did you get issued or denied? Was this before or after they switched to an online process?

Next. If I understand you correctly, you say that (1) you submit the application (online nowadays).

(2) They mail you the LiveScan form, and you go somewhere (UPS store?) and pay $?? get that done. (How much did/does that cost using their form?)

The LiveScan is the ONLY fee/charge you have to pay before your 1st interview and GC determination.

Next is (3) the interview where they will tell you whether your GC passes or not, whether you passed the background GMC check, and whether you can proceed. Correct? If you are told you can proceed, you schedule and pay $65 fee for training class w/range qualification. Correct?

Next is (4) attending the training class and passing the range qual. If you pass (they'll know right then), can you pay them the $100 fee for the license at class?

Last (5) is being told that your permit is ready to be picked up and to bring $100 fee for the 2 year license. (Or is this handled online and permit mailed to you?)
Paladin has it mostly right, but to clarify:
Download and fill out app, mail or drop off in person, not done online
They will send a special Live Scan form to you.
You pay for and get the Live Scan, results typically take 6 to 8 weeks.
If you get to the interview you passed the backround check
A lieutenant will do the interview, you will not be told right there if you qualify. It goes up the chain to the Sheriff.
Several more weeks waiting.
You will be notified you passed by phone and arrangements are made to pay the fees and setup the range training. Sounds like a visit to their office may be required at this point. Seems like you pay at this point for both the range and the permit.
AT the range, classroom law review, take a written test and then qualify with one or both of the two guns allowed, no 1911's or SSE guns allowed.
I doubt they will tell you if you passed or not at the range but I suspect you will know yourself if you passed.
If all goes well you will be notified by phone that your permit is ready and you can pick it up or have it mailed.

All this is covered in the link posted by Delta Bishop additionaly they have a CCW coordinator that you can call with any questions.

By the way, someone I know just got their CCW in Placer County and they are doing 7 interviews per day at this time. Don't know the pass or fail rate though.
Old 05-05-2018, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Glider2 View Post
Paladin has it mostly right, but to clarify:
Download and fill out app, mail or drop off in person, not done online
They will send a special Live Scan form to you.
You pay for and get the Live Scan, results typically take 6 to 8 weeks.
If you get to the interview you passed the backround check
A lieutenant will do the interview, you will not be told right there if you qualify. It goes up the chain to the Sheriff.
Several more weeks waiting.
You will be notified you passed by phone and arrangements are made to pay the fees and setup the range training. Sounds like a visit to their office may be required at this point. Seems like you pay at this point for both the range and the permit.
AT the range, classroom law review, take a written test and then qualify with one or both of the two guns allowed, no 1911's or SSE guns allowed.
I doubt they will tell you if you passed or not at the range but I suspect you will know yourself if you passed.
If all goes well you will be notified by phone that your permit is ready and you can pick it up or have it mailed.

All this is covered in the link posted by Delta Bishop additionaly they have a CCW coordinator that you can call with any questions.
I think you skipped over some important Qs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I want to make sure I'm understanding you.

1st some background questions: have you gone through the process? Did you get issued or denied? Was this before or after they switched to an online process?

Next. If I understand you correctly, ...
If you haven't applied and are just regurgitating the info on the SO's website ... um, I read it myself.

FWIW, it looks like they either pulled their online application process or I was mistaken when I said that they switched to online apps.

FWIW2, they've got a new CCW Coordinator. Compare to post #970 above.
Quote:
Cristina Caballero, CCW Coordinator
Telephone: (925) 335-1547
Email: CCaba@so.cccounty.us

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 05-05-2018, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you rely on only self defense in your GC statement you will probably get the "the fear of victimization is not enough" turn down letter.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 05-05-2018, 9:30 PM

SSE guns are allowed
Old 05-09-2018, 5:36 AM

Just received my election ballet. Looks like the current Sheriff is running unopposed. Ugh. Looks like we're stuck with him for a while.
Old 05-21-2018, 8:11 AM

Unopposed....so virtual non-issue for regular joe Contra Costa citizens again?
Old 05-22-2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzai272 View Post
Just received my election ballet. Looks like the current Sheriff is running unopposed. Ugh. Looks like we're stuck with him for a while.
I'll generalize and opine that Contra Costa County (aka CoCo) (I live there) is run by the Democrat Party. Anytime there's an unopposed election, or any election in which we have the choice between two Democrats, there is no democracy.

I'm also a member of the growing mass of law abiding citizens in CoCo whose concealed carry permits have been summarily rejected by this Sheriff. There is no 2A in CoCo.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)