Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 11-14-2014, 6:20 PM

I listed Browning HighPowers and 1911's on my app and the LT said nothing about then not being allowed - but did make me pick only 2 out of what I wanted to carry. Not sure that you are correct about the DA
Old 11-14-2014, 6:32 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddrcr View Post
so if i am disabled (I am) and not able to pull the trigger on a double action gun (I can't) am i automatically disqualified?
I shoot uspsa matches using a single action pistol due to having myotonic muscular dystrophy, would this potentially turn into an ADA lawsuit if i was denied due to the double action only deal?
You're free to try to make that case - I'd buy a ticket to see the arguments!

Nothing in PC suggests any limits beyond 'concealable' - this is 'personal preference' by the CCCSO.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-14-2014, 6:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
When you say "double action", do you really mean double action ONLY, or DA/SA (which probably 90% of all pistols are). Are you saying this Sheriff has his own approved roster which excludes firearms that are currently approved by the DOJ? Please say no!!
My informant clarifies that it is 1911-types that are unwelcome - single-action in that sense. Safe-action, striker-fired, yadayada are generally acceptable.

But yes, this sheriff, as well as others, has Opinions On What Civilians May Carry. The Sheriff's opinions are Iron Whim inside his area of responsibility (the County).

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Old 11-14-2014, 7:00 PM

Is the sheriff approving LTC now?
Old 11-14-2014, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
My informant clarifies that it is 1911-types that are unwelcome - single-action in that sense. Safe-action, striker-fired, yadayada are generally acceptable.

But yes, this sheriff, as well as others, has Opinions On What Civilians May Carry. The Sheriff's opinions are Iron Whim inside his area of responsibility (the County).

Wow. Just wow.

I guess that means I have to go shopping first before I apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-14-2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhitt View Post
I listed Browning HighPowers and 1911's on my app and the LT said nothing about then not being allowed - but did make me pick only 2 out of what I wanted to carry. Not sure that you are correct about the DA
This is interesting, because the DOJ form allows you to list up to three firearms. What right, then does an agency have to change that to two?

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 11-14-2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:

That figures. The ruling elite know What's Best For You, and you don't. You're stupid and they're smart. They will save you from yourself.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 11-14-2014, 7:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
Is the sheriff approving LTC now?
Oh, Livingston has approved a few - CoCoCo is not 'no issue' like San Francisco.

We don't know yet if the mandate from Peruta (due out officially next week, I believe) will change his policy.

Old 11-14-2014, 8:48 PM

Since it takes at least a month before they even do the livescan, wouldn't it be prudent to just drop it off now? Either way this shakes out, I don't see any advantage in waiting. Things will be decided by the time anyone gets a call back anyway.
Old 11-15-2014, 6:36 AM

What is a "livescan"? Some kind of invasion of one's modesty? A full body image? What? A visit to the dentist, proctologist? A pre-induction physical?

Old 11-15-2014, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Wow. Just wow.

I guess that means I have to go shopping first before I apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have to go shopping, too. I was planning on listing my compact 1911A. I guess that's out. That really is outrageous.

Last edited by redhead; 11-15-2014 at 7:48 AM..
Old 11-15-2014, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I'll have to go shopping, too. I was planning on listing my compact 1911A. I guess that's out. That really is outrageous.
Or, maybe we can try to convince them that a 1911 trigger is truly double-action. In order to fire it, you have to pull it back and then let it go forward again???

Or, maybe they'll be a little more open to different firearms since the Peruta decision? They'll be more worried about possible other lawsuits coming against them due to any un-warranted infringement on who or what is carried.

One can hope right?

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-15-2014, 6:40 PM

Since the Sheriff might get swamp with apps should we go threw the city police chief to get a LTC.
Old 11-16-2014, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Since the Sheriff might get swamp with apps should we go threw the city police chief to get a LTC.
Good question. I read somewhere that some cities in CC County require you to start the process with the local Police Dept. Sorry, I don't know which cities those are.

Old 11-16-2014, 6:47 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

I love how a government official is going to dictate how you may exercise your right i.e. which firearm he deems fit and how many.

Other states like NV and OR just say "Handgun" on their licenses.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 11-16-2014, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
I love how a government official is going to dictate how you may exercise your right i.e. which firearm he deems fit and how many.

Other states like NV and OR just say "Handgun" on their licenses.
Only a few years ago NV was not like that. You had to qualify with any semi-auto that you were going to use and it had to be listed on your permit. Revolvers were generic, qual with one and use any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What is a "livescan"? Some kind of invasion of one's modesty? A full body image? What? A visit to the dentist, proctologist? A pre-induction physical?
New to CA, eh?

http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints
Quote:
The live scan operator checks the applicant’s identification, inputs the applicant’s personal descriptor information, captures the applicant’s fingerprints electronically, and transmits the data to the DOJ.
Quote:
Good question. I read somewhere that some cities in CC County require you to start the process with the local Police Dept. Sorry, I don't know which cities those are.
Typo in there - a city would necessarily have an applicant start with the city.

It's the CoCoCoSO that has in the past required an app be denied by one's city before SO would accept an app.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-16-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
New to CA, eh?

http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints

Typo in there - a city would necessarily have an applicant start with the city.

It's the CoCoCoSO that has in the past required an app be denied by one's city before SO would accept an app.
Nope, not new to Taxifornia. The only time I remember being live scanned was when I obtain my COE. I haven't purchased a firearm in probably a couple of years but I seem to remember the ink treatment in the gun store at the time.

By the way, I wonder if my COE, along with my Type 03 FFL, will cut any mustard when applying for a CCW? Probably not. That would spoil the fun for the bureaucrats.

Old 11-16-2014, 1:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder if my COE, along with my Type 03 FFL, will cut any mustard when applying for a CCW? Probably not. That would spoil the fun for the bureaucrats.
Nope.

Even have to get a new live scan, because the ORI ties reports of action on your prints/ID to the specific agency - COE is different from CCW.

Live scan is for background checks; you won't get the same kind of background check from a gun store, unless it has a side business of taking prints.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:02 AM

So I picked up an application from the local PD earlier this week, and they told me to call a Lt after I filled it out and gave me his number. I've left 2 messages for him over the last 2 days, with a few calls inbetween. I've also called Lynn at the Sheriff's office a couple times and left messages there as well. I don't seem to be getting any response... maybe they are avoiding applicants until the mandate?

Should I just take it down to Martinez in person?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9kracing View Post
So I picked up an application from the local PD earlier this week, and they told me to call a Lt after I filled it out and gave me his number. I've left 2 messages for him over the last 2 days, with a few calls inbetween. I've also called Lynn at the Sheriff's office a couple times and left messages there as well. I don't seem to be getting any response... maybe they are avoiding applicants until the mandate?

Should I just take it down to Martinez in person?
I'm tempted to do exactly that. I can't find any info on the Sheriff's website regarding hours of operation. If anyone knows their business hours for dropping off applications, I would be very grateful.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Their hours are 8-5 m-f.

Last edited by Thedarkgander; 11-20-2014 at 7:56 PM..
Old 11-20-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedarkgander View Post
Their hours are 8-5 m-f. I work closely with them and in that building.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately those are my hours as well (working in Alameda County), but I'll figure out a way to make a special trip.
Old 11-20-2014, 3:00 PM

just got off the phone with the Contra costa Lt.
said that they were going to wait for the ruling to be final before they decide to change their policy.if you have been denied before you will need to re-summit a new app.
Old 11-20-2014, 6:36 PM

Was that Lt White?
Old 11-21-2014, 6:00 AM

Quote:
said that they were going to wait for the ruling to be final before they decide to change their policy.if you have been denied before you will need to re-summit a new app.
im glad i decided to wait
Old 11-21-2014, 9:07 AM

Quote:
That's extremely valuable info, Domingo. Thanks for chasing it down. Now, the question is: what constitutes the ruling becoming "final"? And when? I actually want to mark my calendar.

I assumed that, since the 9th Circus has ruled twice on this, in this year, and has essentially blocked further appeals by the gun-hating State Atty General, that the whole issue is "final".

Of course someone is going to ask the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) to take the case but SCOTUS may or may not. It only takes up a very small percentage of cases. A jurisdiction like the Contra Costa Sheriff could waltz around on this and say "we're going to wait for the SCOTUS review" etc etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 9:25 AM

Quote:
A jurisdiction like the Contra Costa Sheriff could waltz around on this and say "we're going to wait for the SCOTUS review" etc etc.
That could be an arbitrarily long period of time, yes? My understanding is SCOTUS can essentially ignore an appeal for an extended period of time while the mull whether they should accept or reject. Am I wrong?
Old 11-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Over in the 2A/Litigation Forum, there's a very long thread which essentially says the 9th Circus could issue a "mandate" as early as today, which would make their Peruta decision "final". I'm not a lawyer, but of course there are always motions and appeals afterwards.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Domingo - thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone else) know if the CCSO requires us to fill out the application in person, or can I bring in a pre-filled out CA DoJ standard application for license to CCW? I've got one filled out just waiting for the final mandate to come down in favor of Peruta. I'm hopeful that Sheriff Livingston will honor that decision if/when it's final without the further shenanigans some folks are expecting in other counties.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:52 PM

COCO Sheriff is waiting for it to go to the supreme court
Old 11-21-2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Not surprised. That's the ultimate delay tactic. It may never go to SCOTUS. Maybe CalGuns, etc. should immediately appeal it...no, wait....we don't have grounds because we won, unless somebody overturns us somehow.

Old 11-21-2014, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Not surprised. That's the ultimate delay tactic. It may never go to SCOTUS. Maybe CalGuns, etc. should immediately appeal it...no, wait....we don't have grounds because we won, unless somebody overturns us somehow.
A new lawsuit filed against CoCoCo might be needed to bring him in line. He can appeal, but in the meantime, get to issuing!
Old 11-23-2014, 7:48 PM

this is all so disappointing
Old 11-24-2014, 7:25 AM

Maybe we should consider applying now, regardless. If the large public of gun owners is quiet and passive about this, if the Sheriff never hears from them, isn't it easier for the Sheriff to wait and see? But if thousands were to apply, isn't that possibly a motivator?

Old 11-25-2014, 8:51 AM

My application has been dropped off. I figured that if a mandate came out, I would rather have my spot in line before the onslaught of new applications. If the case is delayed further and the Sheriff continues his current policies, I can always try again if/when things change. I'll keep everyone posted as I go, but it sounds like I've got a bit of a wait before I do fingerprints or the interview. The receptionist (who was very friendly and helpful) said that they have been getting 1-2 applications per day.
Old 11-25-2014, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom226 View Post
My application has been dropped off. I figured that if a mandate came out, I would rather have my spot in line before the onslaught of new applications. If the case is delayed further and the Sheriff continues his current policies, I can always try again if/when things change. I'll keep everyone posted as I go, but it sounds like I've got a bit of a wait before I do fingerprints or the interview. The receptionist (who was very friendly and helpful) said that they have been getting 1-2 applications per day.
Tom226: I think I'll do the same after Thanksgiving. May I ask how you filled in the part of the form where it asks for your justification or whatever it's called on the form?

Also, did you cite Peruta in your application form?

Did you walk it into Martinez?

Old 11-25-2014, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom226 View Post
Was your good cause statement more than just self defense?

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-25-2014, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Source? Last I heard was that he was waiting on advice from county counsel.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-25-2014, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha69 View Post
Was your good cause statement more than just self defense?
Nope.