Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-06-2012, 9:24 AM

Default Questions about trying to be hired by a LE agency

Hello, I'm new to CalGuns. A little bit about me before my question; my name is Justin, I am 21 year old college student/gun enthusiast(not an obnoxious call of duty fan boy!) from Tracy who is pursuing a career in law enforcement. Anyways, my question is this, I have misdemeanor on my record due to a misunderstanding (CVC 12500). It was for operation of a motor vehicle without the proper license. My truck was impounded and I was NOT arrested. I was cited and released on the spot. I am able to pass a basic background to go on ride alongs. However, would this bar me from being hired on by a LE agency or does it just depend on the agency?
Old 11-06-2012, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

cite and release = arrested.

and, it's gonna depend on the agency.
Old 11-06-2012, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Depends on the agency you are looking at. Law enforcements agencies are getting very picky today. Why should they hire a person that is young, with no LE experience, and has a misdemeanor? While an officer who was laid off has no record and experience. It might be harder to become a law enforcement officer because of your misdemeanor, but I think you will eventually get picked up if you are persistent. I'm not trying to hold you back, just telling you what they told me.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Around here there are 200 applicants for every position right now.

Although that probably will not automatically disqualify you, what will set you apart from the other applicants?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM

The more time you put between the 12500 and your application the better your chances are.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky8601 View Post
The more time you put between the 12500 and your application the better your chances are.
Spanky8601 pretty much sums it up.

You may need time from the incident to get it cleared. Based on your post, the incident is already done under whatever circumstances it happened in.

Time, with a good verifiable work history, education, and no other incidents will increase your chances of being hired. Candidates who have no incidents to explain have an easier time of being hired than candidates with incidents.

Good luck to you.

www.TASKenforcement.org

Last edited by TASK, LLC; 11-06-2012 at 10:39 AM..
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 PM

...."misunderstanding" I would definitely remove that word from your vocabulary and replace it with "accountability"

....next if you want to be a leo and you meet your states requirements go for it. Here in CA if you meet P.O.S.T. standards you have the opportunity to be hired. Each agency can ADD to those requirements. All agencies are different. Time and distance is very accurate advice. Like I said above lose that mindset of trying to validate YOUR bad decision. Learn to take accountability for your actions. Especially in this line of work.
Old 11-06-2012, 2:19 PM

I was gonna say, could not have been that much of a misunderstanding. The judge convicted you.
Old 11-06-2012, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Join the military or goto college whenever they say you "need time".
Old 11-06-2012, 7:37 PM

Join the Military for a few years, get life experience and put distance between you and your 12500 and you will be fine. Its not a super big deal in and of its self if you have other things that out weight it. If your 21 with no life experience and have that your probably not going to get hired. Make your resume look good by making good grades, choices, financial choices as well as friend choices and job decisions.
Old 11-06-2012, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm wondering who had the misunderstanding about driving without a license? Because the last time I checked driving with an improper license 12500(d) (class) was only an infraction.
Old 11-06-2012, 8:57 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Join the Military for a few years, get life experience and put distance between you and your 12500 and you will be fine. Its not a super big deal in and of its self if you have other things that out weight it. If your 21 with no life experience and have that your probably not going to get hired. Make your resume look good by making good grades, choices, financial choices as well as friend choices and job decisions.
Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I'm wondering who had the misunderstanding about driving without a license? Because the last time I checked driving with an improper license 12500(d) (class) was only an infraction.
I was thinking the same here.....

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 11-06-2012, 9:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't understand the "misunderstanding". Either you were a licensed driver or you weren't. The first thing you need to do is figure that out and take responsibility. Until you do that, the "misunderstanding" will keep you from getting anywhere near a LE job.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
I don't understand the "misunderstanding". Either you were a licensed driver or you weren't. The first thing you need to do is figure that out and take responsibility. Until you do that, the "misunderstanding" will keep you from getting anywhere near a LE job.
Could not agree more. There is no such thing as a misunderstanding in this field. You are Accountable for everything. On and off the job. Man up and be responsible for your actions.
Old 11-07-2012, 1:03 AM
In Memoriam

Sounds like the OP got cited for driving out of class rather than being totally unlicensed. Class A is pretty simple to understand, but Class B is a little harder depending on the size of the truck, and easy to make a mistake.

Easy enough to explain, but the job market is really tight right now.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 11-07-2012, 3:34 AM

would you consider shooting a person reaching in his pocket, for his cell phone to call his lawyer, a "misunderstanding?"
Old 11-07-2012, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmaykafer View Post
would you consider shooting a person reaching in his pocket, for his cell phone to call his lawyer, a "misunderstanding?"
apparently the person misunderstood when the cop told him to keep his hands up.
Old 11-07-2012, 9:29 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmaykafer View Post
Your comment has nothing to do with a legitimate question by the OP. You are trolling in the LE forum and violating the rules of this forum.

Please go away now.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 11-07-2012, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack & coke View Post
...."misunderstanding" I would definitely remove that word from your vocabulary and replace it with "accountability"

....next if you want to be a leo and you meet your states requirements go for it. Here in CA if you meet P.O.S.T. standards you have the opportunity to be hired. Each agency can ADD to those requirements. All agencies are different. Time and distance is very accurate advice. Like I said above lose that mindset of trying to validate YOUR bad decision. Learn to take accountability for your actions. Especially in this line of work.
I was thinking the exact same thing. At my agency if misunderstanding comes out of your mouth, the door will hit you in the *** on the way out, and you'll have no clue what happened.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
you are right there is a (I) next to VC code in the big blue book.

Still not the end ofthe world and as for life expierence in the military not worth it just to hope to get a job as law enforcement (military do it beacuse you want to) ( College do it beacuse you need to) both are great and have advantages.
Old 11-09-2012, 1:18 PM

Not to sound like a prick, but I wish people would stop coming in here with sob stories looking for a super secret quick fix to their past transgressions, misunderstandings, and lack of life among other things that don't exist. The quick fixes don't exist, the other things do. Bottom line is that the hiring process is designed to weed people out, not include everyone in. Unlike 5 years ago when everyone wanted to hire, it's slowed way down. Granted it is picking up, but agencies still have THEIR choice in candidates. Considering the hell Oakland is going through with the NSA and the fact people want to strip San Jose cops of everything except minimum wage, the field is kind of full with qualified candidates. Also, even with agencies like San Jose and Oakland bleeding people every month, they still have hiring standards they are going to try to adhere to so they don't have repeats of past mistakes, or atleast try to minimize past mistakes.

Bottom line, there is no quick fix. So if you have a back up plan, now would be a good time to institute it. If you don't, start developing one.
Old 01-01-2013, 8:45 AM

Whether the incident will be a problem depends on a lot of things beyond your control. Figure out a way to explain the incident so that your maturity will be showcased and that is all you can do. I had an arrest for alcohol possession when I was 16....booked and spent the night in jail. Nobody is perfect but I had a good track record that eclipsed this event. This not sound serious to me...certainly not a reflection of bad character..just an error.NBD

Jack Crabb...in "Little Big Man"
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjustin91x View Post
... who is pursuing a career in law enforcement.
Take a aptitude test and see if you have any ability for this career. I have done police work for 30+ years and only 2% really have the skill set for it.