Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-11-2017, 9:37 PM

Default Traveling out of CA - Can I Carry?

I am making the drive from CA to Utah this week and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the legality of my CA CCW Permit in Nevada, Arizona, and Utah?

Do these states honor my LTC?
Old 10-11-2017, 9:55 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

Not good in Nevada. But you can legally open carry in Nevada, or conceal a loaded handgun in your car in Nevada (but not concealed on your person without CCW).

So you could unholster the gun before you cross the state line into NV, put it under a shirt on the seat next to you, or just on the seat next to you exposed, then reholster in UT. Or you could expose the gun on your waist when you cross into NV then conceal again in UT. But the gun should be plainly visible on your person in NV, I would use OWB holster.

http://www.nevadacarry.org/car-carry.html

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/28398...-gun-in-my-car

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-11-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

Not good in Nevada. But you can legally open carry in Nevada, or conceal a loaded handgun in your car in Nevada (but not concealed on your person without CCW).

So you could unholster the gun before you cross the state line into NV, put it under a shirt on the seat next to you, or just on the seat next to you exposed, then reholster in UT. Or you could expose the gun on your waist when you cross into NV then conceal again in UT. But the gun should be plainly visible on your person in NV, I would use OWB holster.

This pretty much sums it up...
Old 10-12-2017, 1:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Get an non resident AZ license too. Very easy and recognized in more states than a CA permit
Old 10-12-2017, 7:49 AM

As stated above, you would have more options if you obtain an AZ permit.

States that honor your CA CCW permit:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin

States that do not:

Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

If you have CA and AZ at time of travel:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Old 10-12-2017, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC91 View Post
I am making the drive from CA to Utah this week and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the legality of my CA CCW Permit in Nevada, Arizona, and Utah?

Do these states honor my LTC?
As a CCW holder you really should do a bit more research.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 10-12-2017, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

IWB with grip visible is fine as well for OC. Your link to Nevada Carry shows this, also. Also confirmed by my NV CCW instructor.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
As a CCW holder you really should do a bit more research.
Isn't that what he's doing?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 10-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Isn't that what he's doing?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
No he is asking others to share their research.
One of the first things he should have done when he either applied or was approved was research where and when he could carry.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 AM

So interviewing people and asking questions isn't research? Glad to know that. Let's all criticize and mock the newbie now instead of assisting. Ready? Go!

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSHAman View Post
So interviewing people and asking questions isn't research? Glad to know that. Let's all criticize and mock the newbie now instead of assisting. Ready? Go!

Old 10-14-2017, 3:40 AM

There’s an app for $1.99 that tells you everything you need to know. Plug in your permits and it tells where you can carry and what the specific laws are for each state. Best $1.99 I ever spent!
Old 10-14-2017, 6:36 AM

Quote:

Wasn't mocking or criticizing.
There are many resources out there for research. NRA is a start.

― Mark Twain
Old 10-15-2017, 4:42 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
IWB with grip visible is fine as well for OC. Your link to Nevada Carry shows this, also. Also confirmed by my NV CCW instructor.

Nevada Revised Statues 202.3653
As used in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
1.  “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded handgun which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.
2.  “Department” means the Department of Public Safety.
3.  “Handgun” has the meaning ascribed to it in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).
4.  “Permit” means a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-15-2017, 4:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You will need to do your own research for each state you want to carry in. Every state has different laws. Even if you are carrying with a CA, AZ, UT or another state's permit, you still need to follow the laws of the state you are carrying in. No app or forum is going to be 100% accurate so, you still need to do your own research after using an app or advise from a forum.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 10-15-2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Nevada Revised Statues 202.3653
As used in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
1.  “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded handgun which is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.
2.  “Department” means the Department of Public Safety.
3.  “Handgun” has the meaning ascribed to it in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29).
4.  “Permit” means a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.
So does grip visible meet the requirements of "ordinary observation?"

I think most Nevada residents (LEO) can tell a gun is present from seeing the butt. California residents may have problems.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:26 PM
retired Goon

Quote:

I think most Nevada residents (LEO) can tell a gun is present from seeing the butt. California residents may have problems.

Depends on who reports it and on the NV LEOs that respond.

The majority of NV LEOs will say it's not concealed, but some of those will also say it's prudent to go fully exposed in order to avoid confusion.

Because there are some NV LEOs in Clark County that would have an issue with it.
Example...
Several years ago, North Las Vegas city council installed an anti-gun police chief for the North Las Vegas PD (NVLPD). They then started to purge the NVLPD of LEOs that would not enforce NLV anti-gun ordinances (that were declared illegal under new NV state laws and had to be sued by the ACLU of NV to stop enforcement of). Those NVLPD LEOs will say it's concealed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-15-2017, 5:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

Not really. It's off roster in CA, but the most popular pocket carry in America is the Ruger LCP 2. You won't be able to tell someone is pocket carrying with it.

Old 10-15-2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal P320 View Post
Not really. It's off roster in CA, but the most popular pocket carry in America is the Ruger LCP 2. You won't be able to tell someone is pocket carrying with it.

I can agree that if one pocket-carries that they are likely putting themselves in jeopardy without a NV CCW permit.

My understanding is that if non-CCW OC'ing IWB or other placement that you ideally should make the weapon as visible as possible. Even an untucked shirt temporarily over the weapon is a no-no.

That being said, OP asked how to legally carry in their car across NV, and I don't see anything preventing them going IWB+visible, but that's a decision for OP's risk profile.

Last edited by Robotron2k84; 10-15-2017 at 6:15 PM..
Old 10-15-2017, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Traveling out of CA - Can I Carry?

Echo what others have already said, how you liking your LCP II? Did you have a 1 prior to that?
Get you an AZ CCW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tripper; 10-15-2017 at 7:46 PM..
Old 10-16-2017, 5:30 AM

I agree with "38Special"....you gotta do your own research. Although a lot of people on here know what they're talking about, most of us don't know each other outside of our avatar. People research their hotel and places to eat more than they do their firearm legalities....kinda weird in my opinion. Do a quick "Play Store" app search or whatever and you'll find several FREE apps that'll give you up-to-date info pertaining to legally carrying and traveling with your gun. Safe travels.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I am confused as to how pocket carry could not be concealed carry. At least I have only heard of it in regards to completely carrying within a pocket so that the entire firearm, including the grip, is concealed. I suppose you could carry with the entire grip exposed as if the pocket was a holster, but is that what is meant above by pocket carry.
Old 10-17-2017, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar10 View Post
There’s an app for $1.99 that tells you everything you need to know. Plug in your permits and it tells where you can carry and what the specific laws are for each state. Best $1.99 I ever spent!
Care to share?
Old 10-17-2017, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oderus Urungus View Post
Care to share?
Best Free money I ever spent

Old 10-17-2017, 9:33 AM

Nevada does not honor California CCW; Arizona and Utah do.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Care to share?

It’s called CCW concealed carry on the App Store.

IMG_0797.JPG
Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Attachment 649053
Thanks. I knew about the reciprocity map already, but this is nice because it also has the different states' gun laws, all in one place.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I knew about the reciprocity map already, but this is nice because it also has the different states' gun laws, all in one place.

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 PM

I am taking a similar trip to Colorado via Nevada and Utah and I don’t have a CCW. I did my research and understand the laws of open carry and car carry in those states, but I had a question regarding the attention that open carry will bring.

I will be be on the I15, I70 and I25 only stopping for right off the highway for meals and gas. Would open carry draws unwanted attention?

I just rather have my firearm on my person than locked in my car. Probably in a iwb with a Virginia tuck.
Old 02-04-2018, 3:51 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:

It's the CalGuns way!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 02-04-2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:

Attachment 649053
I like this app because:
1) the developer is super responsive; I informed him of a recently updated law that he hadn't fixed yet and he did it quickly
2) it has a lot of good info
3) the icon is a PX4 Storm
Old 02-04-2018, 9:24 PM

Seems to me that getting on NRA, USACarry, Handgun Law etc websites is taking advantage of someone else’s research which is what all research is for us average folks that aren’t trying to discover atoms.

I thought that’s what Calguns was about as well, to take advantage of a large pool of like minded peoples experience and knowledge.

Guns might be more popular and our hobbies future more certain if we didn’t jump all over newbies every time one asks something.