Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Default Can Anyone Recommend a Gun Shop that Buys or Trades Fairly?

I'm looking to clear out a few items from the safe to either acquire something different in trade or get a fair cash price.

I have heard ads for the El Cajon gun exchange but their reviews are quite hit and miss on their attitude.

Are there any stores that you have had a good experience with trading, consigning or selling to in or near San Diego county?

Thanks

Last edited by DeGriz; 08-22-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 4:11 PM

I have never sold or consigned a gun to a LGS, but I have sold here on CalGuns before.

It was fairly painless and I met a few really cool folks along the way.

You will need to do the paperwork lawfully either way, and prolly get more for your guns if you sell them here, not a store as they will get a percentage of the price. There is only so much a firearm will bear price wise and the LGS cut will take that money straight from your hands for selling and presenting it/them.

If you're determined to go that route, then I would recommend Fine Firearms in La Mesa.
Old 08-22-2013, 4:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Usually a shop won't give you more than 1/2 what it is worth. Consignment is usually 1/3. Go on Gunbroker.com and see what your stuff is selling for and list it here along with any trade you might like.
Old 08-23-2013, 4:05 PM
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If by "fair cash price" you mean get what the gun is worth, you will never get that from a shop. They have to make a profit when they sell it for what it's worth. That means they buy low. They have to.

If you want what it is worth (or close to it), you have to sell it directly to a person. Post it in the market place here on Calguns. If someone wants what you are offering, they will pay what it is worth.

Just my 2ยข

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 08-23-2013, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Post your firearms on the calguns market place. You can get the fairest prices there. As others mentioned, other stores buy low and sell for actual value to get their profit. I feel like that cheats the seller, but it would be also nicer to do things privately. You get to meet some cool people and you will get better prices since there is no middle man. But that is just my opinion.

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 08-23-2013, 4:23 PM

Gun stores have rent , pay taxes and more , They can only pay 33 cents on the dollar , I sold here and did the paper work at Rifle Gear . They were cool . They put my lower together, I am going to buy from them again.
Old 08-23-2013, 6:05 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrichards64 View Post
Gun stores have rent , pay taxes and more , They can only pay 33 cents on the dollar , I sold here and did the paper work at Rifle Gear . They were cool . They put my lower together, I am going to buy from them again.
^^^ This is pretty much it. They have to make money when they resell it, so they'll never give you top dollar. Some place might charge you a lower rate for a consignment if you take payment in store credit, but still expect a 10% or so fee. If you want top dollar, you need to do the leg work in the marketplace. If it's something that isn't worth much you may want to wait for one of those city sponsored gun buybacks and get your $200 gift card.
Old 10-15-2013, 9:00 PM

100% best chance to get what you want for it is to sell it here on cal guns. I did 2 weeks ago and had no problems. And met a cool fellow gunner in my area.
Old 11-10-2013, 4:46 PM

I would recommend here on cal guns or even armslist since you can narrow it to the city where you are it's similar to craigslist but for guns. I've done most of my purchases through them. Guns are no different to a pawn shop, if I own a business where I buy from the public, I have to resell it and make a profit otherwise it be a waste of money and effort for the owner/business. You have to look at if from the buyer and reseller point of view. Or if you bought a gun to just resell it you know you will want to get it cheap to resell for profit, stores are same but get less profit because of the cost of the business, so your best bet is just private forums like here or armslist.
Old 11-10-2013, 4:49 PM

I also wouldn't ship unless what your selling is worth a high value but it's a lot more time consuming and can get risky since you never meet the person. Face to face is best and always do it legally. I also notice a lot of people selling old guns as cash and carry like mosins, however I've asked about this and was told unless it's a black powder, then it must be done through FFL. Idk what the exact laws for older guns but I prefer to be safe with FFL then do something wrong and be sorry.
Old 11-11-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgindy25 View Post
I also wouldn't ship unless what your selling is worth a high value but it's a lot more time consuming and can get risky since you never meet the person. Face to face is best and always do it legally. I also notice a lot of people selling old guns as cash and carry like mosins, however I've asked about this and was told unless it's a black powder, then it must be done through FFL. Idk what the exact laws for older guns but I prefer to be safe with FFL then do something wrong and be sorry.
Long guns over 50yrs are still FTF.