Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2018, 7:49 AM

Question Who wrote the book of Hebrews?

I used to think it was written by the Apostle Paul but, now I'm not sure. Who do you think wrote the book of Hebrews?

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 09-07-2018, 8:34 AM

This has been debated for 1900 years. Unless some early parchments are found that give further evidence, we are not going to know now.

Last edited by RAMCLAP; 09-07-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Old 09-07-2018, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A good article on the subject: http://www.thenewsdispatch.net/the-author-of-hebrews/

It's not long, clear and concise, citing the likely authors and reasons, but then concluding that the author is not actually important for it is the content and such. Worth the 5 minutes it takes to read it.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 09-07-2018, 12:39 PM

God only knows...and He isn't telling (yet).

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 09-07-2018, 1:31 PM

Aww... You guys are no fun. I asked who do YOU think wrote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
A good article on the subject: http://www.thenewsdispatch.net/the-author-of-hebrews/

It's not long, clear and concise, citing the likely authors and reasons, but then concluding that the author is not actually important for it is the content and such. Worth the 5 minutes it takes to read it.
Thank you for that link. Those things came up in our Bible study on Wednesday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvau View Post
God only knows...and He isn't telling (yet).
Thank you brother Origen.

For the past 50 years, I though Paul was the 'likely' author. But now I'm leaning toward Apostle John as the author of Hebrews. The opening verses, Hebrews 1:1-3, sounds like John's style of writing. The same style that he used in the beginning of the gospel of John.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 09-07-2018, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

The modernist argument is Apollos, because Paul - allegedly - couldn't write in such prose, as evidenced by his other letters...

EXSQUEEZE ME?! The man was trained by GAMALIEL!!! He was the foremost Rabbi of his day!!! He tailored his letters to his audience, so it makes sense he would write in more plain speech to Timothy & Titus, just as he would naturally have used his more extensive knowledge of the Old Testament, to address fellow Jews - Jewish authorities in particular - whose job it was to MEMORIZE those scriptures!

It's like saying, BECAUSE you can talk to the mechanic down at the local garage, you are INCAPABLE of talking to a doctor or lawyer, because you know HOW to speak plainly to the garage mechanic!!!

Then again, modernists don't BELIEVE the Word of God, to BE the Word of God, so I rarely believe ANYTHING they say. If they told me the sky was blue on a sunny day, I'd check thrice to confirm it...

Paul's authorship, is good enough for me.
Old 09-07-2018, 2:55 PM

Some Jewish dude is my bet.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Yeah, I believe it was Paul. He wrote Titus and the first letter to Timothy around the same time that Hebrews is thought to have been written. To my amateur scrutiny, it fits. His earlier writings were more idealistic while his later writings were more cautionary. Hebrews fits right in the middle as does 1 Timothy; a kind of middle ground. It is very significant in its prose, almost poetic for the intended readers. The beginning of self reflection for Paul, I think. Anyway, Paul had the largest vocabulary of all New Testament writers, and often strayed on tangents of thought before returning to the point of the sentence. I see these attributes in Hebrews. We may never know for sure, and it doesn't alter any message Hebrews may hold, but my money is on Paul.
Mark 16:16