Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2018, 9:49 PM

Talking Acts 8:16 the receving of the Holy Spirit?

So I started reading my bible and started in ACTS. My question is I know that when JESUS died and gave up his spirit and then Pentecost is when the spirit was given.

When I read ACTS 8:16 it's says they didn't get the spirit because they where only baptized in the name of Jesus and the apostles laid hands on them so they could recieve the Holy Spirit.

When did that change because when I asked GOD in to my life I felt the spirit fall on me and I know we don't lay hands for people to recieve it. Just trying to make sense of it.

Thanks and GOD bless all you soldiers of the most high.

Last edited by libertyordeath; 05-30-2018 at 9:55 PM..
Old 05-31-2018, 7:10 AM

Well, there aren't any more Apostles to lay hands. Once the Spirit enters, the human becomes regenerated. Regeneration precedes salvation. Thus, one is born again at the point of regeneration. So, in essence it never "changed" It may look different since it happened en masse at Pentecost and still happens in places. However, all through history (Old Testament included)it has been to the individual at regeneration. No hands required.
Old 05-31-2018, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

Default This...

Be the blessing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCLAP View Post
Well, there aren't any more Apostles to lay hands. Once the Spirit enters, the human becomes regenerated. Regeneration precedes salvation. Thus, one is born again at the point of regeneration. So, in essence it never "changed" It may look different since it happened en masse at Pentecost and still happens in places. However, all through history (Old Testament included)it has been to the individual at regeneration. No hands required.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-31-2018, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyordeath View Post
So I started reading my bible and started in ACTS. My question is I know that when JESUS died and gave up his spirit and then Pentecost is when the spirit was given.

When I read ACTS 8:16 it's says they didn't get the spirit because they where only baptized in the name of Jesus and the apostles laid hands on them so they could recieve the Holy Spirit.

When did that change because when I asked GOD in to my life I felt the spirit fall on me and I know we don't lay hands for people to recieve it. Just trying to make sense of it.

The Holy Spirit came on Pentecost as Christ promised. Jesus did not leave us alone but sent His Holy Spirit to be with us, as He is with us today. When you became a believer you received the Holy Spirit. It did not come at another time nor was it partial. Read Romans chapter 8 on how each believer has The Holy Spirit.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 05-31-2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:

You're very observant in your Bible reading! Great job - keep it up.

First, there isn't a correlation between Jesus giving up His spirit at death and the giving of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

The context of Acts is that in the OT, the Holy Spirit only indwelt selective people, not all the OT saints in general. Prophets, Kings, etc., were given the Spirit. The promise of the Holy Spirit for all saints is in Joel 2:28-32:

Joe2:28 “It will come about after this That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind; And your sons and daughters will prophesy, Your old men will dream dreams, Your young men will see visions. 29 “Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days. 30 “I will display wonders in the sky and on the earth, Blood, fire and columns of smoke. 31 “The sun will be turned into darkness And the moon into blood Before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes. 32 “And it will come about that whoever calls on the name of the LORD Will be delivered; For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem There will be those who escape, As the LORD has said, Even among the survivors whom the LORD calls.

Jesus refers to this prophecy in John 7:37-39 and John explains in v.39 that this prophecy fulfillment was yet to come.

Jn7:37 Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. 38 “He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’*” 39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

So, when you get to Acts, the fulfillment of Joel 2:28-32 begins at Pentecost with the giving of the Holy Spirit and the beginning of the Church. There are other givings of the Holy Spirit in Acts (like the Gentiles (Acts 10, esp. v.44, and the Samaritans in Acts 8, and even a group of John the Baptist's disciples in John 19). These events were significant for the establishment of the church and so the Apostles were necessary to confirm the authenticity of the giving of the Holy Spirit to the Samaritans in front of the leaders of the Jerusalem church so that all would know this was of the Lord. Remember - Jews and Samaritans had a long history of enmity!

What you're reading is that this group of Samaritans had been baptized "in the name of Jesus" before Pentecost and so had not received the indwelling Holy Spirit yet. The event of Acts 8 was vitally important for establishing the inclusion of yet another group into the Church and part of the Christianity. Even though Gentiles had always been part of God's plan of salvation in the OT, many of the Jews believed otherwise and their hard hearts had to be broken during the establishment of the church in Acts.

No one saved today needs the laying on of hands. If you have acknowledged to the Lord that you understand that you are sinner destined to hell (eternal death) and NEED His FREE GIFT of salvation by faith alone in His death and resurrection that paid for your sin, then you will be saved. At the moment you pray this prayer, you are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and saved with all the blessings of eternal life in Christ. Instantaneously, you are a new creature, the old man is dead, and begin your new life in Christ.

Remember as you read Acts, that you are reading historical narrative - the story of the beginnings of the church. Historic narrative is not good for deriving doctrine from! What you're seeing are examples of prophecy and doctrine manifested in history at that point of time. Fulfillment!

If you have more questions or need clarification, just ask. I can direct you to excellent sermons and commentaries for your journey through the book!

God bless!

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 PM

Man guys thanks for taking the Time makes sense now feels good coming back to the flock and learning again. The storm that I went though made me much stronger and able to witness to people who have gone through the the same thing. God bless brothers
Old 06-01-2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Man guys thanks for taking the Time makes sense now feels good coming back to the flock and learning again. The storm that I went though made me much stronger and able to witness to people who have gone through the the same thing. God bless brothers
Bless you brother.
Old 06-01-2018, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Amen!

Remember to stay in the Word! ONLY the Bible is the living Word of God that will grow you and change you to be like Christ. The books of other men do nothing unless they drive you back to the Bible where you grow:

Heb4:12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

And, you only go the Bible to become like Christ. You are learning a person (Eph. 4:20) and want to please Him in all you do (2 Cor. 5:9). The Bible is not to learn a set of rules, but the person of Christ. Focus on Christ and you will grow to be like Him:

2 Co3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

God the Father wants us to focus on Christ and has given us EVERY spiritual blessing in Him (Eph. 1:4)!

God bless!

“Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils [i.e. any man]- my conscience is captive to the Word of God…” Martin Luther
Old 06-22-2018, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

#TrinitarianBaptismMatters