Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-25-2006, 6:03 PM

Default Anyone have experience with the PRI Gasbuster Charging handle?

How does this thing work exactly? It's not clear to me how it reduces the amount of gas that can blow back at the shooter. It doesn't look radically different than a normal charging rod but it sure costs a lot more...

Picture...

Regards,

James R.
Old 05-25-2006, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

dunno how it works, but a tube of black RTV is much cheaper and is a multi-tasker, unlike PRI's uni-tasker charging handle
Old 05-25-2006, 6:35 PM

LOL yeah I suppose...I'm just curious how it works and if it works well.

I see there's a little channel which would point to the right side of the gun. I'm a left handed shooter so I have a sneaking suspicion that if that channel is for gas to be expelled thru it'd actually make things worse for someone like me rather than better.

Regards,

James R.
Old 05-25-2006, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

nice thing about them is one handed operation without having to un-shoulder the rifle. You get better leverage from the larger handle, less torque on the charge handle so less bending or twisting occurs. Many will just palm the handle to retract for charging or clearing a jam.
Old 05-25-2006, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie
nice thing about them is one handed operation without having to un-shoulder the rifle. You get better leverage from the larger handle, less torque on the charge handle so less bending or twisting occurs. Many will just palm the handle to retract for charging or clearing a jam.
Do you know anything about their fitness for a lefty rifle? In specific that channel that looks like it could vent gas to the right, which is precisely where a left handed shooter doesn't want it going.

Regards,

James R.
Old 05-25-2006, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

while i am not sure exactly how it works, it looks like it will divert the gas onto the upper groove and force the gas forward on both left and right sides of the charge handle instead of straight back into your face.
Old 05-25-2006, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie
while i am not sure exactly how it works, it looks like it will divert the gas onto the upper groove and force the gas forward on both left and right sides of the charge handle instead of straight back into your face.
Yeah that's pretty much the idea I was getting as well...what with the ramped groove that goes off to the right. It's just a shame it goes to the right, damn rifle is backwards, it should go to the left ;-)

Regards,

James R.
Old 05-25-2006, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

keep in mind, most will shoot nose to charging handle or further to the rear. So your face should be to the rear of any gas exiting from the sides.
Old 05-25-2006, 8:17 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think the picture is giving you a bit of an illusion, the cutout on the left and right of the handle should be the same/symmetrical. Reports are that the PRI does work well and the goop people have had good luck with the sealant work around as well, although obviously it has some durability issues in comparison.

If you look at the standard charging handle while it is in an upper, see the gap between the handle and the upper. Realize the PRI handle is "taller" at the rear and "blocks" the gap.

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 05-25-2006 at 8:22 PM..
Old 05-26-2006, 1:26 AM

is gas blowback really in issue? how often does it occure? has it happened to you? or is it like just a preventative measure? not to sound sarcastic, i'm just curious because i've been looking at these also and was wondering if its worth the few dollars extra?
Old 05-26-2006, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing
is gas blowback really in issue? how often does it occure? has it happened to you? or is it like just a preventative measure? not to sound sarcastic, i'm just curious because i've been looking at these also and was wondering if its worth the few dollars extra?
Never noticed gas blowback to be a problem. Just shoot your AR and if you think it is, you can always by a new charging handle. One case where I could see gas being more of a problem is on a suppressed weapon. Other than that, it's prob not needed.
Old 05-26-2006, 5:39 AM

I have not heard of it being a problem other than on rifles with suppressors (silencers).
Old 05-26-2006, 6:19 AM

thanks, saves me $90