Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 AM

Default 9x18 MAK Cast load data

I'm having trouble finding lead round nose data in my manuals for the makarov 9mm LRNs, only FMJ is listed. The bullets i'm using are 93gr cast LRN's, from what I was able to find on google the loads are looking like from 3.2-3.6grs of BULLSEYE. Does this sound about right? ( I heard 3.5grs is a good solid load using bullseye) I'm waiting on my dies to come from Midway, I got a lee case cutter on the way to trim 9x19 luger brass down to 9x18.
Old 11-27-2012, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1driver View Post
I'm having trouble finding lead round nose data in my manuals for the makarov 9mm LRNs, only FMJ is listed. The bullets i'm using are 93gr cast LRN's, from what I was able to find on google the loads are looking like from 3.2-3.6grs of BULLSEYE. Does this sound about right? ( I heard 3.5grs is a good solid load using bullseye) I'm waiting on my dies to come from Midway, I got a lee case cutter on the way to trim 9x19 luger brass down to 9x18.
Are you sure cutting the Luger's down will work. As I remember the 9x19 take a .355 diameter bullet just like the 380. And while the Makarov is called a 9mm, I believe it's actually like 9.2mm. I know that it takes a .365 diameter bullet.

My Hornady manual doesn't show any of the 9mm Luger bullets listed for the Makarov. So, you will you be forcing a wider bullet into a narrower case, or if your planning to load a Luger bullet into a Makarov chamber it's going to be slightly undersized.
Old 11-27-2012, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Are those the "Missouri Cast" bullets? The ones that says "Spetznaz Approved", or something?

They're pretty good bullets.

I think I used W231 or Unique, but I'll have to go home and check my load data. I haven't used Bullseye in years.

Check out this website. It might have some info for you:

http://www.makarov.com/mak04.html
Old 11-29-2012, 9:32 PM

Yes, you can trim 9x19 brass, but you will have to bell the case mouth more to accept the larger bullet. And yes i'm using those missouri cast bullets Do you happen to have your UNIQUE loads for that?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do you happen to have your UNIQUE loads for that?
I'm sorry man. I forgot to look. I'll check it tonight and let you know.

IIRC, I had to do a little guesswork on the charge weight, but the loads I've made have always been deadly accurate and showed no signs of pressure.
Old 11-30-2012, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, you can trim 9x19 brass, but you will have to bell the case mouth more to accept the larger bullet. And yes i'm using those missouri cast bullets Do you happen to have your UNIQUE loads for that?
I was loading using a Little Dandy on rotor 8, which throws approximately 4 grains of Unique. The chart says rotor 8 can throw up to 4.2gr of Unique but I think RCBS builds in some "error margin" when they work up their specs. I have never seen more than 4.0 on that rotor; not saying it "can't" happen, it just hasn't in my experience.

Just to call on a another source (to give you piece of mind ), this guy was loading a 105gr LRN bullet at a max of what he says was 4.1gr of Unique:

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Makarov.htm

If he's loading a 105gr LRN with 4.1gr of Unique, you should be fine with a 93gr LRN at 4.2gr. Honestly though, I'd just make it an even 4.0gr, and call it good.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

In the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, it only lists 100gr out of a Saeco #940 mold. For Bullseye, it has a starting gr of 2.4 and a max of 3.6.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
In the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, it only lists 100gr out of a Saeco #940 mold. For Bullseye, it has a starting gr of 2.4 and a max of 3.6.
I'm thinking it would be safe to load at the max, if you were dropping projectile weight by 7 grains. Might be a good place to start...
Old 12-01-2012, 7:13 AM

I loaded up some at 3.4, 3.6 bullseye. Will try 4.0 unique as well. Thanks

-UPDATE. both shot just fine.

Last edited by m1a1driver; 12-02-2012 at 6:38 PM..