Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-18-2013, 2:06 PM

Default Who's training their daughters for the next Olympics?

The next Summer Olympics will be in 2016, not too far away. Who is starting their daughters through the Olympic qualifying trials?

Many of us must have teenage and 20'ish daughters who could qualify, knowing that the American Women Shooting Team cleaned up in skeet and 50 meter three position rifle at the last Olympics. I see plenty of teen aged and 'tween girls at the range who are damn fine shots. One we see all the time scored high in a Small Bore Junior Training. I think she's 11. Her dad was just glowing. They come shooting together every Saturday, and I just love it.

Here's a quote from Lones Wigger, a five time Olympic team member

"What Makes a Champion Shooter – Excerpt from Lones Wigger, five-time Olympian

" Shooting is a unique sport because it doesn’t require exceptional strength, size, athletic or natural ability to become a champion. The learned attributes are much more important than the God-given ones.
Champion shooters consist of both sexes, come in all sizes and from all walks of life.

There are, however, certain elements which contribute to the development of a shooting champion. Although these qualities may vary from individual to individual, the most important factors include: above average intelligence; learning to shoot at an early age; complete dedication to the sport with definite goals and plans; an environment which provides the opportunity for an individual to train, learn, progress and achieve goals; the development and training of the mental aspects; and the most important attribute for competitiveness—a desire and determination to become the best"

Who of the CGN women and men are starting daughters in this race for the gold? Or your sons, for that matter.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 08-18-2013 at 2:19 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 AM

While starting young does help quite a bit, what's cool is that shooting, like archery, anyone can be good enough to go to the Olympics at any age. There's still hope for us all! LOL
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It would be great if more parents had a positive view towards the shooting sports for their kids. The parents are the ones who have the big job of keeping their children motivated and driving them to various matches.

There is one father-son team I am happy to know. I see them from time-to-time on the firing line. International Bullseye Pistol is one of the disciplines recognized in the Olympics. I've done my share of plugging away at it and have had the honor of meeting many fine shooters along the way.

I think it's tough to keep the interest level at that height for some youngsters. To be that good, you practically have to sleep, eat, and think shooting. I admire the ones who can maintain the focus and discipline

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 08-21-2013, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

When they get old enough (currently a 4 y/o and a 10 month old), they can train in whatever shooting discipline they want and can maintain interest in. Dad is definitely a fan of action shooting but if they get drawn to Olympic bullseye they have my full support. Of course they pretty much have my support in any endeavor they'll find life-enriching.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 08-21-2013, 7:34 PM

Yah, any Olympic sport is preceded by four years of eat-drink-sleep-train focused activity. Ya gotta want it REAL bad. Not only the young athlete, but the parents and the rest of the family too.

But, ya gotta get them started before they can fall in love with the sport.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.