Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-27-2018, 8:29 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubullett View Post
Don't look at the cfars number. Look at the number on the registration paper you got. Mine is 161,xxx and I got my paper on the 26th or so of last month. Also, that number probably includes people who registered back in 2000 or whenever you could before because I wouldn't suspect they would start the numbers over.
Yeah mine is March 17th and number 158xxx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-27-2018, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Yeah mine is March 17th and number 158xxx.
So about 1000 per month, give or take?

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-27-2018, 9:35 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
So about 1000 per month, give or take?
Hard to say, especially since there are some discrepancies in the numbers. Everything seems to be extremely low. Even if you assumed they started at 1 it would mean far less than the 250,000 owners they said they were expecting to register 1.5 million weapons.

Anyone have any more numbers for the letter? What are people at now in June?
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-28-2018, 5:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Hard to say, especially since there are some discrepancies in the numbers. Everything seems to be extremely low. Even if you assumed they started at 1 it would mean far less than the 250,000 owners they said they were expecting to register 1.5 million weapons.

Anyone have any more numbers for the letter? What are people at now in June?
But one number per letter right?

So what is the average number of guns registered per letter? 5 or 6 maybe?

Some registered >20. So the total could still be considerable.
Old 06-28-2018, 6:54 AM

Thanks again for the replies..
Old 06-28-2018, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Gunning View Post
I didn't register any of my rifles because they were all lost in a recent boating accident.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That one never gets old
Old 06-28-2018, 7:01 AM

Site is sloooooow today. Keeps getting hung up when uploading. At least it hasn't made me start all over...yet...
Old 06-28-2018, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Haha good catch. Prolly too busy rememberin' the alamo or watching Dallas reruns.
laughed pretty hard at this
Old 06-28-2018, 8:46 AM

A bit of observation

For Volreg, the number prefix starts with 44444, for AW registration, the prefix starts with 22222.

From the very first rifle I registered back in Jan to last one registered back in May, the CRIS number difference is 11,625,855.

For the 44444, and 22222 registered at the same time, the difference in CRIS number is 4,522,707.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

I just filed CPARS request with doj to get the number of registered assault weapons prior to dec 30 2016 and the current number as of today.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
I just filed CPARS request with doj to get the number of registered assault weapons prior to dec 30 2016 and the current number as of today.
Why didn't you wait 3 more days?

If DOJ visits you regarding your RAW application: Avoid opening your door if they don't have a warrant. Don't consent to a search. Don't "talk your way out of it". Assert your right to remain silent until you have a lawyer present.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Old 06-28-2018, 1:54 PM

Went featureless.
------------------------------------
"Why does anyone need an AR-15?
You mean you don't know? So what kind of reporter are you? It's easy! It's a great friggen gun!" - Alan Korwin, 2015
Old 06-28-2018, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Why didn't you wait 3 more days?
Because I'm more curious about what the assault weapon registrations number were prior to 2016. Plus 3 days really isn't that much of a difference, although not exact, it will give us good rough data.
Old 06-28-2018, 5:36 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
Because I'm more curious about what the assault weapon registrations number were prior to 2016. Plus 3 days really isn't that much of a difference, although not exact, it will give us good rough data.
If the flood of activity in the AW registration guide thread is any indication, it seems like nearly everyone has waiting until these last 3 days.

I think the numbers for past regs are out there somewhere already, I think I remember seeing 125k or 150k

If DOJ visits you regarding your RAW application: Avoid opening your door if they don't have a warrant. Don't consent to a search. Don't "talk your way out of it". Assert your right to remain silent until you have a lawyer present.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Old 06-29-2018, 6:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
If the flood of activity in the AW registration guide thread is any indication, it seems like nearly everyone has waiting until these last 3 days.

I think the numbers for past regs are out there somewhere already, I think I remember seeing 125k or 150k
We will find out soon enough.
Old 06-29-2018, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallShark View Post
dont forget the mag lock.

separate the receivers then release the magazine, then brag about how fast they can do it

..and since breaking open the receiver is required to release a magazine, what do you do when the bolt locks backwards or halfway back, due to a misfeed, or double feed, or any number of things that could cause a jam.. now you have to disassemble both lower from upper in order to drop the magazine in order to clear the malfunction..

Correct me if this is a non-issue, as featureless is foreign to me.
Old 06-29-2018, 5:39 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
..and since breaking open the receiver is required to release a magazine, what do you do when the bolt locks backwards or halfway back, due to a misfeed, or double feed, or any number of things that could cause a jam.. now you have to disassemble both lower from upper in order to drop the magazine in order to clear the malfunction..

It absolutely is a valid concern.
One option is to remove the buffer tube... means that you have to mod your lowers to install a grub screw behind the rear takedown pin detent, and you always have to have a castle nut tool... not to mention the safety aspects of working on a loaded rifle, and you're going to spring your buffer retainer.

But the California Superior Court just ruled that just because something is impossible doesn't mean we don't have to comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-29-2018, 5:45 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:

If there was ever a firearms design that suffered from upper and lower separation issues with regards to different types of feeding and extraction issues it's the good old AR. It's essentially a tube gun and we all know what happens when we lock the BCG back and try and open it. So ironic that is is CA's new law.

Other designs aren't as effected. Maybe this will lead to others finally admitting there is more than just an AR out there.

If you are going to break open, AR is the worst design possible.
Quote:

Old 06-30-2018, 1:51 AM

These two responses alone should be enough for the fixed magazine law to be reconsidered as an unjustifyable law and one that unreasonably puts the safety of the sporting user at risk of suffering serious injury if forced to render a jammed weapon safe under such irregular modifications not meant for the designed operation as was intended for the AR.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:04 PM

Default 'AW' Registrations Per Day Current Rate

Quote:
These two responses alone should be enough for the fixed magazine law to be reconsidered as an unjustifyable law and one that unreasonably puts the safety of the sporting user at risk of suffering serious injury if forced to render a jammed weapon safe under such irregular modifications not meant for the designed operation as was intended for the AR.

Yep. Too bad that probably won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagami View Post
I can echo this, between a registration I submitted on 6/06 and another on 6/26 there have been approximately 2,030,000 transactions taking place since then going by the CFARS CRIS record number.

Seeing as how just between the 4 rifles I had in the first transaction the difference in each transaction number is around 8-15 that's a lot of stuff going on in the background. Probably not all RAW registrations though.

"Vol"reg'd my 80%s this morning at around 4:30-6am (started the process at half past 4, got my receipt at 5:59, read EVERYTHING) but the site was working. Very sad to say that I didn't get the engraving I wanted, but it's done and legible. My record numbers, all in the same transaction, ended in 675, 703, and 729. Thought that was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

Last edited by Exdc; 06-30-2018 at 12:11 PM..
Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 PM

Spent all day yesterday 1:30 till 8:45 last night to register five rifles. During that time period 7+ hours the difference between my first and last CRIS#
Old 06-30-2018, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

But the California Superior Court just ruled that just because something is impossible doesn't mean we don't have to comply.
That is not what they said.
Old 06-30-2018, 3:59 PM

I could not get in yesterday and still cant today. I have sent several issue messages. Sometimes those dont go through. I have printed those issues messages out as well as my application that I have tried to register. At least I have proof I tried if I cant get though tonight.
Old 06-30-2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
It absolutely is a valid concern.
One option is to remove the buffer tube... means that you have to mod your lowers to install a grub screw behind the rear takedown pin detent, and you always have to have a castle nut tool... not to mention the safety aspects of working on a loaded rifle, and you're going to spring your buffer retainer.

There's a company here in San Diego that built a fixed mag device that take this into account. It allows you to pull the front take down pin and elevate the upper from the front just a hair. Enough to allow the mag release to work and drop the mag.

Not the cheapest thing out there, but it works.

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 06-30-2018, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Last year, Budget trailer bills were used to extend the registration deadline of Jan 1, 2018 to July 1, 2018.

While it’s not to their advantage, the OAG could ask for another extension to deal with the late volumes.

The problem I see with that is the reason the system is clogged today is because too many folks waited to the final hour. An extension won’t change that behavior.
Old 06-30-2018, 7:22 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Last year, Budget trailer bills were used to extend the registration deadline of Jan 1, 2018 to July 1, 2018.

While it’s not to their advantage, the OAG could ask for another extension to deal with the late volumes.
Those extensions were granted 6 months before the deadline. Best they can do now is re-open the registry...
Quote:
The problem I see with that is the reason the system is clogged today is because too many folks waited to the final hour. An extension won’t change that behavior.
...exactly... They won't re-open the registry for those who missed tonight's deadline because it will simply result in another mad dash the week before the deadline.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
But there is only one way to participate in both camps. No registration = stuck in featureless camp.

What if a court does decide that the BBs can come off? All the featureless geniuses will have irretrievably forfeited their chance at a full-featured, normal mag release semi-auto. There will be no going back.
I can enjoy a featureless rifle, with a normal mag release now. Featured parts can easily be installed for SHTF or leaving the state.

Quote:
Those extensions were granted 6 months before the deadline. Best they can do now is re-open the registry...
...exactly... They won't re-open the registry for those who missed tonight's deadline because it will simply result in another mad dash the week before the deadline.
If they wanted to be more successful with registration, they need to refocus their intent.

Really, I think all they care about is knowing who has what and where. Yes, I believe this is so that if you get picked up by the cops they can come take your stuff. Yes, I also believe that it could be for one day in the future they will ask everyone to turn them in and then know where to start looking when the inventory doesn't match.

So if for now, all the really care about is who has what, if they want a more successful registration, they need to incentivize us.

How you ask? Well by making it legal to have your newly registered weapon fully featured, adjustable and foldable stock, all the pistol grips you want, regular mag release, whatever muzzle device you want, use any mags you want with, remove transportation requirements....

If all you had to do was register your rifle and you could enjoy freedom with it as if you weren't in CA. You bet your arse that they would probably get 80-90% registration compliance.

Another word that has the same meaning is, Inclusion.

Last edited by erik_26; 07-01-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_26 View Post
I can enjoy a featureless rifle, with a normal mag release now. Featured parts can easily be installed for SHTF or leaving the state.

If they wanted to be more successful with registration, they need to refocus their intent.

Really, I think all they care about is knowing who has what and where. Yes, I believe this is so that if you get picked up by the cops they can come take your stuff. Yes, I also believe that it could be for one day in the future they will ask everyone to turn them in and then know where to start looking when the inventory doesn't match.

So if for now, all the really care about is who has what, if they want a more successful registration, they need to incentivize us.

How you ask? Well by making it legal to have your newly registered weapon fully featured, adjustable and foldable stock, all the pistol grips you want, regular mag release, whatever muzzle device you want, use any mags you want with, remove transportation requirements....

If all you had to do was register your rifle and you could enjoy freedom with it as if you weren't in CA. You bet your arse that they would probably get 80-90% registration compliance.
Seems logical. But they did almost exactly the opposite. Makes one wonder why?
Old 07-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Not much of a wonder why. They're just trying to get rid of the guns altogether. They, like many have said here, don't care about now. When the owners die, you can't transfer it. It has to be turned in and/or destroyed.

In a generation, all the guns go away under their theory.

The strange thing about the libtards is that they don't seem to understand that the AR will be the equivalent of a musket at a time when teens will be building back pack laser rifles in their garage.

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_26 View Post

That's the thing... I think they really don't know WHAT their intent really is.
If their intent is to know who has what and where, then all they have to do is continue with the 2014 law that applies handgun-like DROS registration to all guns, then pass a new law that we must report to AFS when we move (but that's redundant anyways since we report to DMV)... no need for AW bans.
Their implementation of the AWB has guaranteed that they will not achieve more than 20-50% registration... the only thing the ban has really accomplished is prohibiting LEGAL sale or transfer of featured builds, and through attrition, the elimination of all legally owned AWs over the course of the next 70 years. Of course, it has not and never will stop illegal sale or transfer.

Quote:
Old 07-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Their implementation of the AWB has guaranteed that they will not achieve more than 20-50% registration... the only thing the ban has really accomplished is prohibiting LEGAL sale or transfer of featured builds, and through attrition, the elimination of all legally owned AWs over the course of the next 70 years. Of course, it has not and never will stop illegal sale or transfer.
I suspect 20% (of the DOJ estimated 1.5 million) to be the high side of the registration rate. The BBAW ban does not even come close to eliminating featured builds since there are many types of fixed magazine (BB 2.0 like and DFM) hanging on walls of LGSs throughout the state.

I would suggest that the only thing the BBAW ban has done is to make illegal AW identification by LEOs twice as difficult. Frankly, getting rid of the BB is a blessing, any of the break open or fixed mag (with BF-10 or MA loaders) solutions are better than the terrible bullet button ever was.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post

I would suggest that the only thing the BBAW ban has done is to make illegal AW identification by LEOs twice as difficult. Frankly, getting rid of the BB is a blessing, any of the break open or fixed mag (with BF-10 or MA loaders) solutions are better than the terrible bullet button ever was.
Maybe so with regards to gun owners but for the antis it's a win in the sense that it significantly dampened the gun market in CA. LGS says sales way down, like 60% since Jan 1st 2017. That's the whole point for them - stop the flow of money into the industry and to the NRA and therefore a funding source for Republicans.
Quote:

Old 07-13-2018, 8:04 PM

I like this thread. I learned a lot from CalGuns over the years about laws and various guns. That's why I still come back here even though I escaped from behind the iron curtain. People like God Bless America are part of the problem. Check out the number of posts from that poser and the number of years of membership. People like that have an opinion on everything. A key thing I do know very much about CalGuns is that no matter whatever you say on here, there's always that one @$$hole wanting to tear you down. Good times!

I tried to spread the good word that there is life outside of Kommiefornie, but God Fn Bless America says that I shouldn't say such things, because freedom shouldn't be discussed with people still trapped in Kommiefornia. OK, then.... I'm out. Good luck to you all.

BTW, the next time you listen to The Eagles' Hotel California, that's about you.