Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-17-2014, 7:20 AM
Calguns Addict

dunno what it is about lock stock and barrel but they seem to specialize in that kind of rifle? I always enjoy looking at their auctions.
Old 02-17-2014, 7:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Double trigger rifles just suck! cool look at but too difficult to use for someone not use to using them. As for thew Ruger single shot,if your really going for dangerous game are you really that good?
I disagree, but I suppose if I had the ability to I would put double set triggers on all of my firearms, including pistol.
Old 02-17-2014, 3:04 PM

Slo...go with the CZ. Understand I've not fired another 375, but the CZ is a class act. Comortable, accurate, big 'ol fat Mauser claw, set trigger, 5 round capacity. Not as much aftermarket support as, say, Remington or Winchester, but out-tha-box, a CZ is awesome. I've never regretted getting a CZ over another brand.
Old 02-17-2014, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloChicken View Post
I appreciate everyone's input, but it seems it is going to be the CZ 550 American Safari for $1k and a low power scope.
I forgot, but if you actually plan to use a scope, then the American stock is probably best for you. What I liked about the Bavarian is when I put one up to shoulder (a 527 in a gunshop) my eyeballs were already dead nuts on the irons. Had I a stock like that then a scope on it, my so called "cheekweld" would be a so called "jaw weld"

My CZ does not wear "back up" irons. It wears irons.
Old 02-17-2014, 3:32 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
Slo...go with the CZ. Understand I've not fired another 375, but the CZ is a class act. Comortable, accurate, big 'ol fat Mauser claw, set trigger, 5 round capacity. Not as much aftermarket support as, say, Remington or Winchester, but out-tha-box, a CZ is awesome. I've never regretted getting a CZ over another brand.
This.

CZ 550
Old 02-17-2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
I am looking for a new Dangerous game Bolt rifle.
I have pretty much decided on a 375 H&H, and am trying my best to keep it in the $2000 range if possible.

I have my eye on the CZ550 (for about $1100)and will in all likelihood be the one I will go with, but I am also considering the Sako Kodiak at about ($1700).

The rifle will only see use for hunts and a couple of rounds to sight it in. It must be a competent rifle but doesn't have to be some $20k masterpiece.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

Thanks!
I own an interarms whitworth .375 H&H... LOVE the rifle. I've put 300-500 rds through it in its life and it has served me well. I put a Leupold VX-II scope on it and it is quite accurate.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...R/P1000384.jpg

not my rifle but very similar...paid 500 bucks for it. its the $2+ per trigger pull that hurts :P

Ask me about Project Appleseed!

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass - Shooters Prayer
Old 02-17-2014, 3:54 PM
Calguns Addict

$2+?? you must be buying some very nice bullets! bottleneck or no, I'd be casting for that rifle for sure

my cxp2 rifle is a MarkX, love that rifle. Wish CZ sold their 550 with a more mauser-like bolt shroud so we didn't have to buy a $600 upgrade just to make match.

On the off chance $2 means you are buying factory, get you some dies and come over to reload!
Old 02-17-2014, 5:51 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

SloChicken...check your PM's. I may have found you a deal on a CZ550.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
SloChicken...check your PM's. I may have found you a deal on a CZ550.
Thanks, I got the pm!

I may end up running up there, but I am a little concerned about having a cheek swell on the wrong side of the stock and the bolt on the other side as well.
I figure for another $400 I can get the new, lefty rifle and not have either of those issues. That, and running up to L.A. twice would run me another $100 in gas and 8hrs of my time.

I do appreciate the heads up, good lookin' out!

Beers on me if we ever meet up!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 PM

I see everyone here shoots the CZ, Im just wondering why the wood and blue vs the new synthetic and stainless? Is it more of a sentimental thing or is this gun just the one to have?

My travel blog
The Wong Winding Road-Adventures of The Chinese Cowboy https://thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com/
Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
I see everyone here shoots the CZ, Im just wondering why the wood and blue vs the new synthetic and stainless? Is it more of a sentimental thing or is this gun just the one to have?
Yep, sentimental.

And the bluing is a good reminder to keep your weapon in good repair.

But most of all, sentimental.
Old 02-18-2014, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocww View Post
Wood and blue, traditional rifles for traditional Africa!

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-18-2014, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

wood is the soul of the rifle.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:04 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Wood and blue, traditional rifles for traditional Africa!
This thread made me order a CZ 550 American in 375 today. Taking it to Africa Early June.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

awesome.

Fjold, how do you feel about hoods over the sights? real world use, irons use only, both in function, presence, and size? I'm not sure if I got a hood that's too big.
Old 02-18-2014, 7:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you are interested in trying out Sako Kodiak 375 H&H or Winchester 70 Safari Express in 416 Rem Mag drop me a PM. I am a member at Rainbow Range.
Old 02-18-2014, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
awesome.

Fjold, how do you feel about hoods over the sights? real world use, irons use only, both in function, presence, and size? I'm not sure if I got a hood that's too big.
I like the hood if you are shooting in daylight with a white dot or ivory bead. In the dark forest/dusk hunting they pop right off.

It really doesn't matter how big they are to me, the sheet metal is so thin that the hood just disappears.

A lot of the newer hoods have slots at about bead height in the hood that lets more light come in from the side. I kind of like that idea, it protects you from glare but extends the time that you can see the sight as it gets dark.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
If you are interested in trying out Sako Kodiak 375 H&H or Winchester 70 Safari Express in 416 Rem Mag drop me a PM. I am a member at Rainbow Range.
Thanks man, that is kind of you to offer.

My brother is a member there actually so I am there every so often. It seems that I will be getting the CZ American Safari in 375 H&H. The swaying factors are that it is available in wood, blued, and namely, left-handed (You would think the rest of the world would have figured it out by now).
It doesn't seem that I can get that from Sako from what I see at their site. Furthermore, I am in the CZ for 1050 plus tax, DROS and I am not getting into a Sako for under about 1700 or so.

I think the CZ will be a great rifle, and there are people that really trick out the CZs as well if I want to go that route. It just seems like it will be a great rifle from the start and if I want to throw more money at it things will just get even better.

Maybe I will run into you sometime up there and we can take a few shots and compare the rifles.
Old 02-19-2014, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I like the hood if you are shooting in daylight with a white dot or ivory bead. In the dark forest/dusk hunting they pop right off.

It really doesn't matter how big they are to me, the sheet metal is so thin that the hood just disappears.

A lot of the newer hoods have slots at about bead height in the hood that lets more light come in from the side. I kind of like that idea, it protects you from glare but extends the time that you can see the sight as it gets dark.
I was afraid you were gonna say white or ivory bead. Looks like NECG (at least as per brownells) is discontinuing their white or ivory inserts on their masterpiece banded sights. And I initially bought a silver bead.

I assume, for you, bead size is irrelevant seeing as the target is the size of a pumpkin to be shot at 50 yards-ish? Maybe an edge going to an oversize bead since it can be centered on the rear post for accuracy, but is nice and big for twilight sighting?
Old 02-19-2014, 3:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was afraid you were gonna say white or ivory bead. Looks like NECG (at least as per brownells) is discontinuing their white or ivory inserts on their masterpiece banded sights. And I initially bought a silver bead.

I assume, for you, bead size is irrelevant seeing as the target is the size of a pumpkin to be shot at 50 yards-ish? Maybe an edge going to an oversize bead since it can be centered on the rear post for accuracy, but is nice and big for twilight sighting?
Yep, that's the logic.

Old 02-20-2014, 7:16 AM
Calguns Addict

....must take brass balls to shoot DG anywhere near twilight...
Old 02-22-2014, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well guys, I found one.

I tried really hard to find one in left handed but everyone wants like a $800 premium for that.
I could buy a new rifle for about $1100 plus tax and DROS but only in right handed. Left was quoted at between $1700 to $2000.

However, one of our Calgunners (JoeFrank64k) here saw one for me and though it was right handed, the price was right, and I have been shooting right handed bolt rifles since I was 11 so one more wouldn't hurt.
I was pretty well convinced to switch over to a left bolt but the price difference just killed the deal.
So,
I looked into the deal. It is a right handed safari magnum with the bavarian stock for $800 out the door!
The rifle is in great shape, both by the JoeFrank64k's estimate, and by some comprehensive pics sent by the seller.
I am paying them $40.00 to ship to my FFL and paying my FFL $35 to accept and $35 more for DROS.

so $910 to get this thing in my hands.
Not too bad, I say ...

At any rate, and without further adieu,
Here she be!

Thanks all for the input!

PS accepting donations to fund my Ammo bill!
Old 02-22-2014, 3:03 PM
Calguns Addict

you gonna use a scope? Trade-ya for an American stock so your head sits up high enough.

But seriously, great price. That was my price before tax, transfer fees, shipping, DROS, etc.
Old 02-22-2014, 3:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
you gonna use a scope? Trade-ya for an American stock so your head sits up high enough.

But seriously, great price. That was my price before tax, transfer fees, shipping, DROS, etc.
Just get rid of those see through scope rings, they are crap.

Get a low set in Leupold, Warne or Talley quick release mounts and a smaller, low power scope.

Old 02-22-2014, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just get rid of those see through scope rings, they are crap.

Get a low set in Leupold, Warne or Talley quick release mounts and a smaller, low power scope.
Haha,
Yeah, pretty much figured I have a new scope for one of my plinkers and maybe I can make a lawn chair out of the rings or something.
Either that or work on my adam's apple weld. Lol.

Whiterabbit,
I will consider your offer , but I want to put a cheek to it first.
Honestly, i prefer the look of the bavarian stock, just never tried one yet.

10 days to go.
Do you think I should add this to my CCW ??? Lol
Old 02-22-2014, 6:54 PM
In Memoriam

Bavarian stock my favorite by designed to put your head in best position for Iron sights (unless you have a huge head) and take advice is using scope Low mounts and a 1-4x or 1-5X with one inch tube will not but the scope out of reach
Old 02-28-2014, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If your looking for a scope
Nice price on Minox 1.5-8
http://www.bearbasin.com/minox-scopes.htm
Old 03-09-2014, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Well guys, I found one.

I tried really hard to find one in left handed but everyone wants like a $800 premium for that.
I could buy a new rifle for about $1100 plus tax and DROS but only in right handed. Left was quoted at between $1700 to $2000.

However, one of our Calgunners (JoeFrank64k) here saw one for me and though it was right handed, the price was right, and I have been shooting right handed bolt rifles since I was 11 so one more wouldn't hurt.
I was pretty well convinced to switch over to a left bolt but the price difference just killed the deal.
So,
I looked into the deal. It is a right handed safari magnum with the bavarian stock for $800 out the door!
The rifle is in great shape, both by the JoeFrank64k's estimate, and by some comprehensive pics sent by the seller.
I am paying them $40.00 to ship to my FFL and paying my FFL $35 to accept and $35 more for DROS.

Not too bad, I say ...

Here she be!

Great find! I have been looking for the exact same rifle at that price here in the bay area. I still always keep my eye out, but no luck as of yet. I will continue to be checking.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

don't forget gunbroker. Found a CZ in 458 lott in the peninsula last fall.
Old 03-10-2014, 8:56 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Well guys, I found one.

So,

Not too bad, I say ...

Here she be!

Glad it worked out, SC!

Yeah, those rings are something else...I figured at that price, the optic package was basically a giveaway.

And I'm glad you scooped it up, because at that price, I don't know if I could've resisted!
Old 03-10-2014, 9:28 AM

Quote:
$2+?? you must be buying some very nice bullets! bottleneck or no, I'd be casting for that rifle for sure

my cxp2 rifle is a MarkX, love that rifle. Wish CZ sold their 550 with a more mauser-like bolt shroud so we didn't have to buy a $600 upgrade just to make match.

On the off chance $2 means you are buying factory, get you some dies and come over to reload!
Federal blue box is bout 40 bucks for 20...and thats the cheapest I've been able to find. I just bought dies for reloading so that should drop my cost per shot down below a dollar.

Doc

Ask me about Project Appleseed!

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass - Shooters Prayer
Old 03-10-2014, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I bought some Prvi 375H&H for $34 a box about 7 months ago.

Try Ammoseek
Old 03-11-2014, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-NewYawker View Post
Bavarian stock my favorite by designed to put your head in best position for Iron sights (unless you have a huge head) and take advice is using scope Low mounts and a 1-4x or 1-5X with one inch tube will not but the scope out of reach
I have already ordered some Warne medium height rings for a Leupold VX II in 1-4x.
I would like to run low rings (I will hang on to the mediums for use with a higher power scope), but I am unsure of whether or not I can use low rings and not obstruct the throw of the bolt.

Do you, or does anyone here have personal experience using a Leupold VX II 1-4x on this rifle and is using low rings?

Thanks guys!

4 days and counting!

Just got my MT elk combo tag money sent in for next season - looking forward to some good hunts with this one.
Old 03-11-2014, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

my local shop guy would let me bring the scope and rifle right on in and try the rings off his rack till we found a height that worked.
Old 03-11-2014, 5:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a few CZs - the 550 rifle in 416 Rigby, the 550 full stock carbine in 9.3X62 Mauser. The carbine is handy as heck and the 9.3 a great round, the 550 rifle is a bit longish. I like them both very much but were I to use either on anything that could squash me I'd prefer the bolt be a bit more prominent. It just strikes me as being in just a touch too snugly.
Old 04-09-2014, 7:24 PM

My father has a Dakota Arms 375 H&H Safari with Swarovski Scope for around $6k if there's interest.
Old 04-10-2014, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

hocking your dads stuff in an informational thread? Nice.

"targeted ad"
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone shoot the Prvi 375HH?