Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-16-2018, 2:44 PM

Default Aero Precision Ultralight Scope Mounts vs. Higher End Mounts - Weight vs Performance

I need to choose an optic mount that balances high quality and weight.

The mount will attach a very high end 1-8X scope (e.g., Swarovski Z8i or Schmidt & Bender PMII 1-8x) to a 16" BCM lightweight profile AR-15 upper.

Weight is a big factor. The build is not intended to be ultralight (e.g., using a mil-spec BCG) but definitely weight conscious... I want a scoped 16" AR as close to 7 lbs as I can get it.

Budget is not a factor, I'm considering everything thru a $450 Spuhr mount.

The core question:
I'm tempted by the light weight (3 oz) of the Aero Precision mount, and have used it on another SPR-type rifle with no issues, but given I'm dropping $2k on an optic, is a heavier 6oz-8oz mount (Spuhr, Larue, Bobro, etc.) in order here?

The final weight of the completely equipped rifle will be 7.7 lbs with an Aero mount, or 8.0 lbs with a heavier 8oz mount.
Old 05-16-2018, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

The recoil is so minimal I don’t know why you would need a heavier mount.
Old 05-17-2018, 7:42 AM
Calguns Addict

I like most of Aero Precision's products, however for scope mounts, I'm not a fan of vertically split rings. I would look at other options. You don't need something heavier for a 1-8x scope. Those aren't particularly heavy scopes. Just stick with the top brands and you'll be fine. For QD I favor Bobro. Non-QD - Spuhr, Badger Ordnance, Seekins...the usual.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up

Last edited by Mute; 05-18-2018 at 7:12 AM..
Old 05-17-2018, 10:05 AM

I use Bobro QD for long range setup. AeroP for lighter setup. You save a few oz using a lighter mount or a lighter barrel, a pound or more using a lighter stock.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Warne X-Skel are good for a light bolt-on (non-QD) mount too.
Old 05-18-2018, 6:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m running a 9oz stock (B5 bravo) so the most I could save is 3 oz (MFT minimalist stock is 6oz), but I’ve tried most of the stocks on the market and the Bravo is the right combo of ergonomics, weight, etc. for me.

I would save 4oz, quarter lb, by using a 3.5oz aero mount vs say a 7.5oz bobro.

I haven’t heard of anyone with quality complaints on the aero, has anyone else? Eg scope losing zero if someone dropped their rifle a few feet to the ground and other basic non-operator abuse scenarios
Old 05-18-2018, 7:34 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
I like most of Aero Precision's products, however for scope mounts, I'm not a fan of vertically split rings..
Can you elaborate on this?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
I'm guessing he's talking about since it's verticle clamp style when tightening down it starts adding cant. I use the Aero lightweight mounts, I just guess how much cant it'll twist before tightening and then tighten it down and double check after. So far no issues and works great for me.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
I'm guessing he's talking about since it's verticle clamp style when tightening down it starts adding cant. I use the Aero lightweight mounts, I just guess how much cant it'll twist before tightening and then tighten it down and double check after. So far no issues and works great for me.
That's a minor inconvenience compared to the Gen 1 Bobro QD mount. All the screws are mounted upside down. Though my gen 2 mount screws, lacking this 'operator-approved' feature, did start rusting after an 8? hour long range class in the rain.(never dried the screws after class since the mount is operator-grade)
Old 05-18-2018, 11:39 AM

I bought a aero precision scope mount and a American defenses quick release scope mount. I took them both on a range session of about 1500 each for two different rifles. The American defense recon mount that I had came loose after about 200 rounds in and I had to re adjust and tighten it. The aero precision mount stayed nice and firm without a single wiggle thru the 1500 rounds. I was shooting 5.56 by the way, Just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it won’t work. Solid product by aero precision. Compare $60 on sale vs the AD recon mount for $180.
Old 05-18-2018, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
Some people have reported issues with vertically split rings applying too much pressure on their scope tube and noticing a shift in zero. I don't use these kind of rings so i can't really comment on how often this happens. I personally don't like the way these rings hold the optic so i use other types of mounts.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up

Last edited by Mute; 05-19-2018 at 7:46 PM..
Old 05-18-2018, 2:02 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Some people have reported issues with vertically split rings applying to much pressure on their scope tube and noticing a shift in zero. I don't use these kind of rings so i can't really comment on how often this happens. I personally don't like the way these rings hold the optic so i use other types of mounts.
Appreciate the response. I have not heard about this until now. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2018, 3:08 PM

I've got a few aero mounts, sort of gradually changing them out. Most of them have been fine. With one of them I couldn't sight in a new scope, there wasn't enough adjustment in the scope. Changed the mount and it sighted in the next time. I think my most expensive scope was something like $1100. For a $2k scope I'd go with a high quality mount.
Old 05-18-2018, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

I had one. I found that the zero shifted when it dropped onto a wood floor. I changed for an AD mount. No more zero issues vs that mated clam shell clamp.
Old 05-19-2018, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

I have a Warne X-Skel mount and like it.

I looked at the Aero mount but didn't like the hinged design.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 05-19-2018, 6:59 AM

One of my guys used one when we started getting the Vortex Razor scope on my last tour before retirement. I was skeptical as I've always used LaRue QD Mounts but his held zero and had no issues. I know it's only a few ounces but it did improve the handling quite a bit. I'm going to get some for my ARs.
Old 05-19-2018, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

I have 2 scopes mounted with Aero's. I'm having poor performance with both rifles. The problem is I haven't had the time to start troubleshooting either rifle to find out if it's the scope mount, the scope, or the barrel. I found it was an odd coincidence that both problem rifles have Aero Precision lightweight scope mounts.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 05-20-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorium View Post
I need to choose an optic mount that balances high quality and weight.

The mount will attach a very high end 1-8X scope (e.g., Swarovski Z8i or Schmidt & Bender PMII 1-8x) to a 16" BCM lightweight profile AR-15 upper.

Weight is a big factor. The build is not intended to be ultralight (e.g., using a mil-spec BCG) but definitely weight conscious... I want a scoped 16" AR as close to 7 lbs as I can get it.

Budget is not a factor, I'm considering everything thru a $450 Spuhr mount.

The core question:
I'm tempted by the light weight (3 oz) of the Aero Precision mount, and have used it on another SPR-type rifle with no issues, but given I'm dropping $2k on an optic, is a heavier 6oz-8oz mount (Spuhr, Larue, Bobro, etc.) in order here?

The final weight of the completely equipped rifle will be 7.7 lbs with an Aero mount, or 8.0 lbs with a heavier 8oz mount.
Buy a nice mount for a nice optic. If weight is an issue, stay away from QD mounts, as you will probably never use the QD function anyway. Maybe look into Geissele? I would prioritize build quality over one or two ounces extra if you find a better mount that weighs more, because you won't feel those extra ounces while you shoot.