Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Tagged! Will be posting my SCR soon!
Old 04-21-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post

How's that side charging attachment? Is it smooth or does it bind up? At 1200 yards with a 5.56 you are probably more worried about running out of internal adjustment than the magnification, right? Are you afraid your 5.56 is going to get blown about like a paper airplane at 1200?

Nice looking setup.
The DDC Side Charger Attachment works great. It takes about 100 cycles to get it totally broken in and from there on out is is slick. There is also a slight learning curve to get the cycling motion down.

AS far as 1200 yards,,, my 77 gr Sierras will be running @2780 fps at the muzzle (24" bbl. gives extra velocity) And I will have to work up to it.

That 1-6x scope will get me to about 800 yards but I will probably have to use a different optic to get to 1200. I have no doubt the bullets will go that far accurately, although I may end up with Berger 90 gr'ers for the 1000-1200 yard distances.

The barrel will stabilize any of them as it is 1:7, But they will be too long to fit in the magazine and that's what the Side Charger is for. It will allow convenient operation of the action for single loading while in the prone position.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 04-21-2018, 2:39 PM

Looks sexy,where did you get the lower?
Old 08-25-2018, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a big fan of CMMG's drop-in .22LR conversion BCG. I understand the ARES SCR has a proprietary BCG (with the rat-tail that goes into the stock), but since the .22LR conversion kit doesn't even touch/involve the buffer tube assembly, will it still work in a standard upper/ARES SCR lower combination?
"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards." Lt Gen Sir William Butler, GCB

Selling:
- $215-$515 Long Guns (Featureless RRA .458 SOCOM Lower, PSA/Aero 5.56x45mm Rifle, PSA/Anderson 7.62x39mm Rifle)
- $13-$300 Parts & Accessories (Anderson CH, Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x 40mm Riflescope, Magpul MBUS, PSA 7.62x39mm Upper Package)

Last edited by butlers; 08-25-2018 at 8:44 PM..
Old 08-26-2018, 10:12 AM

You'd have to call them and ask. I don't know how that .22 LR Upper operates. I assume it is a strait Blow Back setup which is held in battery by spring pressure alone. I doubt the bolt actually locks up.

The Fight-Lite SCR BCG is a modified AR part. It is cutoff just behind the Firing Pin Retaining Pin and the strut pivots up and down on that pin. The Bolt itself is a common AR part. Since the rear half of the BCG is missing so are the ratchet cuts for the Forward Assist so that function is gone.

Somehow the .22 LR upper has to cycle enough to cock the hammer and then have enough spring to return to battery. I don't know how much spring that takes in this case, but if the upper is designed to operate with a standard AR Recoil Spring then it will probably work with the SCR Spring as well.

I'd call them and ask.

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-26-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM

I finally got a chance to really refine the zero on both my Uppers. The Red Dot was tweaked just a little to the left to get the windage dead on at 100 yards, and down a little to get it 1" high at 100 yards yielding a 200 yards zero with AE factory 55 gr Ammo. This is also dead on with my standard Reloads of 25 gr of BL-C2.

The 24" upper was different story. I chased the zero around the target for about 20 shots before I figured out that the scope mounts were loose.... DUH!

Then the groups wouldn't close up and I ended up looking for optics problems and the scope appears to have something loose in it. I will figure it out as this barrel shot a 1/2" group during initial sight in a few months ago. So something is screwy.

The gun is nice to shoot on the bench and recoil is strait line which is exactly what you are looking for on the bench, so you can achieve an "Artillery Hold" which is the most accurate method on the bench.

Anyway more work to do as It has to perform with the 55 gr loads first then I'll go to the 77 gr bullets.

I always sight in my rifles with some readily available Factory ammo and then try to get as close as possible to that load with my basic Hand Load which will be the fastest load I shoot in that gun. This produces a "Mechanical Zero" which is always returned to after shooting something else. All other loads will produce lower velocities and thus only require positive elevation offsets. All of these are recorded in a little book so that I can adjust the sight directly to the offset for a particular load/bullet weight, and also distance.

An example of all of this could be my Enfield #4Mk1 replica L39. This gun has a Redfield Olympic Rear sight that repeats perfectly so I can dial it up and down without worrying about it moving to the same place every time. Since the "Mechanical Zero" is the lowest setting of the sight and has a stop it is easy to dial it up to different ranges and then back to zero

I have 5 different loads I shoot in that gun. PPU 150 gr Factory, which is my "Mechanical Zero. at 200 yards. My Reloads with 150 gr Hornady's, (same velocity as factory,) Reloads with Hornady 174 gr (slower) and Reloads with 215 gr Woodleighs (slower) and 1 Cast boolit load with a 205 gr 314299 which is also slower. All of these loads require different positive elevation changes for different ranges and base zero.

I have offsets for the 150 gr loads at 200 Meters, 300 Meters, 385 Meters and 500 Meters. 200 and 300 yards for the 174's and 215's as these are strictly for hunting. The Cast boolit loads are for Short Range Silhouette and use a 100 Meter base zero and then elevation offsets for 150 M and 200 M.

Example: Elevation Offsets for my .308 Ruger Scout Rifle with 150 gr loads and a 200 yard Mechanical Zero are .5 MOA for 200M, 4.0 MOA for 300M, 7.5 MOA for 385M and 12.75 MOA for 500M. Then back to Mechanical Zero when done so you always know where you
are starting from, and are certain exactly how the gun will perform with a readily available ammo if you have to pick it up and run with it. All of these offsets have been tested off a rest and I can assure that I can hit a man sized target every singe time off a rest at 500M.

All of this DOPE is kept in a neat little Sighting Book I got from Sinclair. This is just a more comprehensive version of a Range Card you'd tape to the stock of the gun. I can go to a Silhouette Shoot or National Match and know exactly where to set the rear sight for any distance, and if I miss it was because of me, and not the the fault of the gun not being sighted in correctly.

It's all about the Trajectory of the Bullet, which is defined by the Velocity and Ballistic Coefficient. Once these two things are known the POI of that bullet can be predicted very accurately. Wind being the major Wild Card.

I would also say that I didn't spend all this time to tell you how Cool I am. I did it so others can see that there is actually a method that can be used to predictably shoot rifles accurately at different distances. These methods have been standardized by our's and every other competent Military over the last 200 years and are nothing new. You just have to spend the time to learn them.

It ain't that hard!

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-26-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Old 09-01-2018, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
...1200 yards,,, my 77 gr Sierras will be running @2780 fps at the muzzle (24" bbl. gives extra velocity) And I will have to work up to it...they will be too long to fit in the magazine...
I know you're already invested in the 223/5.56, but have you taken a look at the 224 Valkyrie? It's designed to allow long bullets to be loaded to an OAL that will fit in an AR mag and launch them with enough velocity stay supersonic out to 1200 or 1300 yards.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM

I noticed that nutnfancy guy on youtube did a SCR review recently. To spare anyone who doesn't have 26 min. to spare when a 10 min. video would've sufficed, he said positive things, even though it broke. As usual, he likes the sound of his voice so you kinda have to skip through all that. Apparently he used some rando/unquantified ammo load and it locked up good. Then he proceeds to bang on it trying to get it unstuck.

He was comparing it with a SU-16CA, and at least seemed pretty fair about it.

/coolstorybro
Old 09-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmoredonuts View Post
I noticed that nutnfancy guy on youtube did a SCR review recently. To spare anyone who doesn't have 26 min. to spare when a 10 min. video would've sufficed, he said positive things, even though it broke.
/coolstorybro
26 minutes? He usually talks about being self-conscious about talking too much for 20 minutes alone, then rambles on about himself for another 15 minutes and then turns it into bragging about how "Feature Length" his videos are before giving out any good info. He does have some good info though.
I'll have to watch that one.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
26 minutes? He usually talks about being self-conscious about talking too much for 20 minutes alone, then rambles on about himself for another 15 minutes and then turns it into bragging about how "Feature Length" his videos are before giving out any good info. He does have some good info though.
I'll have to watch that one.
You forgot the part where he’ll compare to something ridiculous or a Glock and spend 20 minutes talking about that product instead. 😂
Old 09-13-2018, 12:40 PM

Hey the guy might be a little verbose but he does good reviews on lots of stuff.

I waited for 20 minutes to talk to him at the Kel Tec booth at SHOT this year and he just kept talking. He was being filmed the whole time.

The guy does come up with useful information. One of the best examples of this was putting a big white line on the Illumination Knob on your Bushnell TRS 25 so it is easy to see if it is turned off.

I did this to all my TRS 25's and I never forget to turn them off when done shooting.

Randy

Old 09-13-2018, 11:21 PM

Have any of you done a 7.62x39 build yet?
Old 09-14-2018, 1:50 PM

As long as the Magazine will fit into a conventional AR style mag well, all that needs to happen is a Upper and a bolt with the proper face to accept the cartridge. Easy to find at Brownell's.

The typical mags for x39 AR's have a 3" strait section at the top of the mag.

The SCR lower comes with the BCG, but no bolt, hence needing the aftermarket bolt.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Bolt Latch (which is extra) at the same time.

These lowers remove all CA BS from your build. You are now featureless! as soon as you start shooting the gun you won't be going back to conventional AR's They handle so much better it's criminal.

Randy

Old 09-14-2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Picker View Post
Nope, but just putting together a .50 Beowulf to test it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
I run 6.5G (same case diameter) through mine with zero issues.
Old 09-15-2018, 8:54 PM

Thanks for the info guys. How are those other calibers cycling? With the whole rat tail set up is there any issue with the rifle going back into battery?
Old 09-16-2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. How are those other calibers cycling? With the whole rat tail set up is there any issue with the rifle going back into battery?
Mine works fine. Better than I would have dared to hope. Of course there was some break in time, but after that, super reliable.