Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-11-2018, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
The RAMI is on the roster, I see them at gun stores all the time very easy to find. Its not a singlestack, its wider than a Glock 26 which I would take over a RAMI because it will be lighter and slightly cheaper and better sight picture. You probably want to stick to a singlestack like a Shield, Kahr, or P239.

Ahhhhhh the RAMI is a .40. I generally don't look at .40s in the store, that's why I missed it.
Old 09-11-2018, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
Ahhhhhh the RAMI is a .40. I generally don't look at .40s in the store, that's why I missed it.
Both 9mm and .40 are on the roster:

ManufacturerModelGun TypeBarrel LengthCaliberExp DateCZ USA (Ceska Zbrojovka Fox)CZ 2075 RAMI 01750 / Steel, AlloyPistol3"9mm01/01/19CZ USA (Ceska Zbrojovka Fox)CZ 2075 RAMI 01751 / Steel, AlloyPistol3.0".40 S&W01/01/19
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 09-11-2018 at 9:31 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
My advise, don't waste your money just yet.

Wait for your EMP to return, pick up 400rd of all different ammo, including your SD rounds, & shoot shoot shoot, if your still having issues, (I doubt you will) then an only then go spend the dough for what ever you think you need.

The only ammo wife's EMP hates is tula Brass, it's cheap ammo, & seems a little tight in chamber for the EMP, all others run great IMO.
But.... but.... but.... is buying a new gun wasting money!??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2018, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
Both 9mm and .40 are on the roster.
hmmmmm then our LGS must not have it.... heck... they rarely have the p-01 (and next time they do, hubby wants to snatch one up for himself cuz he really likes mine!)
Old 09-11-2018, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Dave's defender is .45 ACP probably from the 80's or early 90's if I had to guess on the year. I had heard of the 3" reliability issues and hence his was the first 3" 1911 I ever had a chance to shoot. Zero issues, ate everything.

Yeah, it's stout... Obviously the lighter a gun gets the more recoil you're going to feel.

Good Morning, ACfixer,

Thanks.

I've heard & was told by shorty owners of problems of taking an original size pistol & chopping it down to shorty size. That's why I went with an EMP. Allegedly it was designed from the ground up to be a modified version of the famed 1911 & specifically designed to fire the 9MM cartridge.

The way I see it, and I know that vision varies, it's a tactical advantage to keep your gun's muzzle pointed at a threat after every shot. If recoil forces a defender to reacquire sight picture, he'd surrender precious time to his threat during which he'd put rounds on him.

Anyway, how my EMP was designed and how it operates don't mesh. I do have faith in SA to return to me a perfectly functioning handgun.

I own a perfect P239 .40 S&W. That thing will fire anything with nary a miscue. But I love the 1911-A1 design. I'm a 1911-A1'er at heart & soul.

Here's Rob Leatham & SA explaining the design and manufacture of the EMP 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA6GnDR7-8">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA6GnDR7-8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post

The old "you're holding it wrong" doesn't fly with me. If a gun is so picky that it won't function because of the way you grip it there is something wrong with the gun, not the operator.
OK... so the more I think on this, the more ticked off I get at springfield since it's both THEIR guns that give me issues. Their 1911 gave me so many issues during our local 3-gun and hubby kept telling I was limp wristing, etc. (and he says the same thing with the EMP.)

However I've had absolutely ZERO issues with my CZ SP-01 that I got to replace the 1911. I can shoot the CZ one handed even with my left hand and not get a stove pipe, feed issue, etc! but the danged springfields, even holding two handed... issues! Our last local match, we had to do a bunch of pistol one handed and the CZ worked like a dream! I probably woulda thrown the 1911! (ok... not really... but I woulda wanted to!)

Here's the youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA6GnDR7-8
Old 09-11-2018, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMP3 View Post
. I do have faith in SA to return to me a perfectly functioning handgun.
I don't... but only because we sent off my 1911 and after we got it back, it worked like one weekend, then the same old issues.
Old 09-11-2018, 9:53 AM

Good Morning, ping toaster,

it's not uncommon for quirks to be removed from newly designed products. I can understand ironing out issues with a newly designed handgun. Whether quirks with my EMP are eliminated & my gun functions flawlessly will be the metric by which I'll judge SA. Until I get it back, I'll withhold judgment.

A couple years ago, I bought an SA 1911 Loaded Model. I had intended to compete. My lumbar & spinal surgeon had other ideas. I do love that handgun. It's been 100% flawless. Not only is it a beautiful handgun steeped in American history, it has the most perfect natural point of any handgun I've ever held. It is FAR MORE accurate than I had anticipated for what is a service handgun. Were I driving a black & white, I'd carry a SA 1911-A1 Loaded Model in a New York second.

SA has the 1911-A1 design mastered. It's Professional Model did what Bill Wilson said no handgun could do.

Merely my opinion: don't judge an outfit by its tiny percentage of imperfections. From what I've read, we have exceptions. The overwhelming majority of EMP 3 reviews have been five-star.

I do wish you the absolute best with your EMP 3. Please keep us updated on its progress.

My sincere best to you.
Old 09-11-2018, 9:54 AM

Quote:
I don't... but only because we sent off my 1911 and after we got it back, it worked like one weekend, then the same old issues.
I am so sorry to hear of your misfortunes with Springfield Armory. All I can do is pray that your future with SA is all blossoming roses.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
But.... but.... but.... is buying a new gun wasting money!??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!
oh gosh durn no..... I for one, would like to know how this turns out for you....Good Luck
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 PM

I was happy with my EMP and used it at local IDPA matches. Smooth trigger, nice grip etc. But in 4 o'clock carry, the side safety would always dig in my side. Went for a second carry.

Looked at the CZ Rami but the fat grip turned me off. Ended up buying a Shield 9mm. Grip is ok. Hate the trigger. But I don't use it at the range work. But much more comfortable carry. Happy I went for it.
Old 09-13-2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I refuse to pay the price that people extort for off roster guns.

I do plan to send the EMP back... However I don't trust it and I don't want to waste a spot on my permit. It's a third in line back up... but if I don't/won't trust the gun then I might as well leave the spot blank.
Had same issues awhile back. Sold the EMP and bought a glock 36. Never looked back.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 PM

The EMP is built really tight and needs to be maintained if you carry the gun like I do clean it every month. This makes a difference. Also try 147g ammo my gun loves it and never fails. The 147 rounds hits harder and actually produces less recoil so its a win win.
Old 09-14-2018, 2:02 PM

Springfield has a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. Why would you not send it back to have it fixed?

I've had similar issues with my RIA 1911. It turned out that it was a magazine issue. It only likes either the RIA mags that were issued with the piece or high-end Kimber or similar mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBilly View Post
I became mesmerized by a thick black shaft.
Old 09-14-2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:

I do plan to send the EMP back... However I don't trust it and I don't want to waste a spot on my permit. It's a third in line back up... but if I don't/won't trust the gun then I might as well leave the spot blank.
I would be patient and see how it does. After all, it's only one of three on your list.
Old 09-14-2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:

I agree. I sent back a defective XD to Springfield. They made it worse.
Old 09-14-2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyocountymark View Post
send it back, most stove pipes are caused by how you grip the firearm, if you don't have issues with one brand of ammo, stay with that..FWIW, I carried a 3" 1911 SA for years, I never had an issue with fte or otherwise...however if you lose confidence in a firearm, then perhaps it is time to change. SA makes some damn fine weapons and personally I've never had a issue with any of their 1911 product line......anyway good luck in your next choice
Wrong. "How you grip" is an often-used excuse for a defective pistol.
Old 09-14-2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:

Good for you! I about spit my coffee on the laptop when I read $800 for a G43. That's almost twice what they sell for in the free states.
Old 09-14-2018, 7:55 PM

I have products from Beretta, Glock, Kahr, Kimber, Les Baer, Ruger and Sig on my LTC. I like carrying a .45, but the best shooter is a Beretta 92 Compact. A little larger, a little heavier, eats oil, dead nuts accurate. Have fun shopping!
Old 09-15-2018, 7:12 PM

So I have a little update.

We took my glock 19 and his shield to the range today so I could shoot them (the glock 19 is my newest gun and I haven't shot it much at all and I don't shoot his shield because i have my own guns I prefer)

I decided that we would take his EMP and I would shoot that.

So the first gun I shoot is what I think is his gun. Stove pipe. Failure to feed. NOPE. drop the mag... why wast ammo. set it aside.

Then I shot the shield and glock. I decided that I like how the shield feels in my hand better AND it's thinner... so if I chose to or need to carry 3rd choice: easier concealment.

THEN Mr. Sneaky pulls out HIS EMP and says to shoot that one. PERFECTION!

SOOOOO it's the GUN!

So everyone saying send it back... I did always plan to (as I've stated above) I just never got around to calling AND, as I've said... the other time we sent in a gun to them, they didn't fix it!.

I feel vindicated cuz it's not me (the way I hold the gun)! It's the damned gun!

Soooooo I'm either going to put his shield or his EMP for now.... Still undecided... cuz even if mine goes back and comes back... it's going to take a bit of shooting to be sure I trust her!)
Old 09-16-2018, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
^^^Extremely wise post^^^
Old 09-17-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
I really wish I'd posted about this a while ago.... I thought it was me because when hubby shoots my gun, it doesn't act like that. We never thought to go the other way and have me shoot his... just assumed it was me. Thanx to this thread we looked at it differently!!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 AM

The procrastination is over.... I have the shipping label to send her back.... Let's hope they do a better job with my EMP than they did with my 1911.....
Old 09-17-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
The procrastination is over.... I have the shipping label to send her back.... Let's hope they do a better job with my EMP than they did with my 1911.....

I'm wishing you only the absolute best.

As soon as the SA customer service rep learned that my EMP 3 produced off-center primer strikes, she was preparing a shipping label while I told her about the FTF's I had experienced. For purposes of full & fair disclosure, it could have been poor quality factory range ammo.

I'm sure that Springfield Armory will return to you a perfect EMP 3. It'll be test fired all three factory mags. I'm not sure what test ammo SA uses, but my guess is it's a mixture of range & self-defense ammo of all weights.

Again, best wishes, and please keep us posted.
Old 09-17-2018, 7:54 PM

LOVE my EMP, but only after experiencing all the same issues mentioned here, FTE, FTL, etc. and sending it back to Springfield for work. They paid both ways, fast turnaround, canít say enough great things since getting it back. Trouble free for two+ years now.

Another note, just got a Sig P239, two tone, factory SRT job, G10 grips, annnnd, I donít like it. Something about the balance. I should have shot one before buying it. Wonít be going on my permit, destine to sit in the safe. Oh well.
Old 09-19-2018, 6:36 PM

Send your emp back to Springfield, it has a life time warranty. Have sent three back to them at no charge. They will even email a return shipping label so you donít have to pay shipping.
Old 09-20-2018, 8:46 AM

pink_toaster,

Call SA, tell the customer service agent what's going on, and be prepared for elation from EMP perfection.

Once it's returned to you, you'll never leave home w/o it.
Old 11-06-2018, 2:57 AM

Did you get it back from Springfield yet, How is it now?