Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Default LaRue 7.62 tube for A5 system?

Hi everyone this is my first time posting in a thread besides the deal section. I am going to be putting together one of Larue's Ultimate Upper kits along with their lower and I am wanting to run the A5 buffer system on the rifle. The rifle is going to have a 16" PredatAR barrel on it. I want to keep the rifle as much all Larue as I can and to do so I will be using their 7.62 tube and not Vltor's, BCM's, Magpul's, etc. The thing is, Larue's 7.62 buffer tube runs 8.25 inches long and is slightly longer than most. The other ones that I have looked at such as the Vltor and Magpul are 7.9 inches and 7.8 inches respectively. Is anyone knowledgeable enough about either this Larue setup, the A5 system, or both, to chime in and let me know if I am going to break anything using the Larue tube. I have ran across only one instance in another thread where someone has said they have used it fine but I am still wanting to make sure. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2017, 1:17 PM
Send Coffee
CGN Contributor

Theres a reason the A5 is sold as a kit. If anything, the vltor is as good if not better than the larue. Whats with the obsession with larue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Wut in molon threepin labia stippled spartan helmet on the back of my lifted chevy is going on in here?

Last edited by CouchOperator; 10-12-2017 at 1:21 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 1:45 PM

Larue sells the buffer spacer for that reason I think

http://www.larue.com/762-adapter-kit
Old 10-12-2017, 1:50 PM

No obsession. This is my first Larue rifle and to be honest I just wanted to have it as close to a factory rifle from them as I can get, except for wanting to use the A5 system and not the carbine system. Being that Larue really isn't into shipping complete firearms into this state and if you can find one that someone wants to sell you it is going to cost you a kidney. I have plenty of franken rifles and thought for once, on this high end rifle, I would try and maintain consistency of using the same parts from Larue. I am not totally against using either of the Vltor A5 offerings. I am actually more interested in using the Magpul tube, as opposed to the Vltor if the Larue is a no go, due to the increased adjustment holes as well as hearing the Magpul is very high quality. Not saying the Vltor isn't quality by any means. I do see what you are saying as far as the Vltor coming in a kit, and yes, that would be the easiest solution. Although just because the Vltor comes in a kit doesn't mean that is the only way to put together a functioning A5 system.

Last edited by DubbleTap; 10-12-2017 at 2:16 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dousan View Post
Larue sells the buffer spacer for that reason I think

http://www.larue.com/762-adapter-kit

When I called and talked to Larue I asked about that spacer and from what I gathered that spacer is for using the buffer and spring from their 7.62 rifles to use with a longer A2 rifle length stock or Magpul PRS on their 7.62 rifles. I asked them if that spacer would apply to the situation I am wondering about and they said no it doesn't.
Old 10-12-2017, 3:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can always make a spacer to take up the difference in length. As for what you can break, you run the possibility of breaking the bolt catch and the buffer capture pin or oblonging the hole in the receiver. For the capture spring.
Kevin

Last edited by Sicarius; 10-12-2017 at 3:55 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 8:54 PM

Something I have thought of while trying to figure this out is that there is a length range that the rifle spring must be in to be gtg for normal use. I think the wiggle room for the rifle spring legnth is like 1.75 inches if memory serves me correctly. Yes I just looked it up 11.75 to 13.50 inches. Is .25 inch more of tube really going to make a big difference as long as the spring isn't at the very low end of the length range?

Thanks for the idea of a spacer Sicarius. That is a possibility.
Old 10-13-2017, 1:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As a temporary fix, you can use quarters at the base of the buffer tube to see how much space needs to be taken up. It's a trick the pcc AR crowd used since the carriers and buffers are extremely heavy in comparison to the 556, they are prone to breaking the bolt catch if there is too much travel on the carrier. The carrier over travels and essentially gets a running start on the bolt catch on an empty mag.
Kevin

Last edited by Sicarius; 10-13-2017 at 1:28 AM..