Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-15-2017, 9:49 PM

Default Reloading 44 DE

So i initially asked about buying factory for this handgun because i was planning on getting a 50AE kit and reload for that in the future but my range doesnt allow over 44.

I am now looking into reloading for the 44. I'm about to place my order for primers, powders and bullets so i need reassurance surrounding the topic of gas pressures of this gun.

I'm seeing some berry's plated bullets for the 44magnum, they come in 200,240gr and options of FP and HP. I've found load data regarding unique and these plated bullets and i understand to keep pressures low so that the plating isnt stripped and fouls the gas port of this gun. Which of these bullets should i go with as both FP and HP are the same price.

Edit: Rainier LeadSafe Total Copper Jacketed are the same price.

I see load data for RNFP 200gr cast bullets with titegroup and CFE pistol starting with velocities at ~900fps and pressure maximums under 17,000.

Last edited by RiskyBusiness; 05-15-2017 at 10:27 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 6:55 PM
CGN Contributor

For DE, I haven't tried unique but I'm not sure if that powder will cycle your DE. For my DE 44 and 50ae I use either h110/w296 or AA9 with good result. For 44 I run xtreme plated 200gr and works fine.
Old 05-17-2017, 8:31 PM

On the 357 , 44 and 50AE , plated were not as bad as coated fouling gas ports .
I got samples [ free-bes at gun show ] I only use FMJ with H110 . [ CCI MAG primers ] Some people have told me a regular primer will work - more power to them . If charts call for mag primers , That is what I use .
I have not tried the solid copper pills and I do crimp .
I have found the silver colored cases split more than the brass .
I do check cases for little cracks [ latex gloves will catch on even little cracks / splits you don't see . ] Before and after I ream , chafer , size .
I am in bay area - reeds and target masters allows all D E's on pistol range .
Livermore only lets the 50AE on rifle and sometimes the 44 on pistol . I just take the 357 , 44 and 50 to rifle section - to me moving is a pain .
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM

I used 240gr JHP over 2400(the "real" Elmer Keith 44m load - 22gr of 2400) or H110. Buddy and I used to shoot 100m steel off-hand with 44DE; that was a ton of fun. They are very accurate pistols.

I found recoil with 2400 a little snappier, while the H110 had more of a "role" to it. 2400 is listed as faster burning powder so makes sense.
http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Burn%20R...02015-2016.pdf