Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 05-19-2017, 9:29 AM

Default Is a pig tag even worth buying?

I usually get a pig tag every year just because... after looking at the latest harvest rates it makes me think it's not even worth it. The highest harvest area was just around 300 pigs IIRC, some areas were as low as 30. I know there are pigs in CA but as a public land hunter it almost doesn't seem worth the price of the tag!
Old 05-19-2017, 9:40 AM

For someone like me who doesn't hunt nearly as much as I want: I get my tag when I'm on my way out of town (or a day or two before). No need to buy a tag for something you might not hunt.

But if you're asking should you stop hunting pigs on public land? I dunno. You can't win if you don't play!
Old 05-19-2017, 9:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

if you don't have the tag and you find a hog you are sol.
Old 05-19-2017, 9:52 AM

Hunting pig in southern california sucks is my conclusion. You have to drive way to far to get to any place you actually have a chance. Luckily the tag is cheap, so it's not a huge hit to pick one up. I think we'll need a lot of wet years before pig moves back into some of the public areas.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 AM

It's $22 bucks. Grab one and you'll have it if you need it.

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

At certain times of the year, I see wild pigs quite often when I am coyote hunting here in No. Cal.

The issue is that I am usually pretty far from where my truck is. And the thought of hauling 70-150+ lbs of pork up and down drainages and rocky ground never sounded like fun to me. YMMV

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
At certain times of the year, I see wild pigs quite often when I am coyote hunting here in No. Cal.

The issue is that I am usually pretty far from where my truck is. And the thought of hauling 70-150+ lbs of pork up and down drainages and rocky ground never sounded like fun to me. YMMV
Take me with you, I'll help.

"Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see....That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea"

The Band
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No, but I buy one every year because I am stupid and listen to the stories of pigs roaming around in East San Diego County.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I never bought a tag before. Hunter for the. Before there were tags for them....never saw any. It was only last year that I saw 2, still doesn't encourage me to buy tags... that's 2 pigs in about 25+ years of hunting in CA.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 PM

If you are out hunting other species, a pig tag is great to have if you come across one. If you don't have a tag, it would be really dumb to even think of taking a shot at one. So is it a waste? Perhaps if you truly think you won't come across a hog, then yes, a waste for you, but a bonis to the State coffers.
Old 05-19-2017, 1:44 PM

i have shot 1 per month this year so far. I gave the last two away. There are more feral hogs in and around gilroy and hollister than there have been in 10 years. If you are hog territory, your chances are very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarbarino View Post
I usually get a pig tag every year just because... after looking at the latest harvest rates it makes me think it's not even worth it. The highest harvest area was just around 300 pigs IIRC, some areas were as low as 30. I know there are pigs in CA but as a public land hunter it almost doesn't seem worth the price of the tag!
Old 05-19-2017, 1:56 PM

I wouldn't trust the Dfg statistics although I would agree that the harvest numbers are down. Pig tags used to be a book of 5 for 7$. That money was supposed to be used to keep track of the pig population. Nobody batted an eye for 5 tags at 7$. Today they are 22$ a piece and the Dfg either dosent get the money, it goes into the general fund or it is used to further restrict hunting in the state. Basically the 22$ is flushed down the toilet.

Regardless of the pig population, if harvest numbers are down it's because there is going to be a growing number of disgruntled hunters who don't fill out the tag or just have it to be legal while hunting. Paying 22$ for a non native invasive species tag that dosent benifit hunting, the resource or is used to prohibit future oppertunities is standard SOP in California.
Old 05-19-2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:

I'll haul it away while you drive off if you take me!! I'll be back with some meat and BACON vacuum packed and ready for you and yours!!

Why is a pig tag $22 bucks and a Bobcat tag is only $3.00??

Last edited by racinjason233; 05-19-2017 at 2:31 PM.. Reason: new thought
Old 05-19-2017, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

BBS, most likely the 22 dollars going towards those groups writing hunting regs against us hunters.
Old 05-19-2017, 3:13 PM

Don't trust those harvest numbers. Pig hunters may or may not submit results as did or didn't. That goes with all tags. Just because you have to submit a report doesn't mean you have to submit results.

Tags can be signed by a billion agencies and no one is tracking all of those tags back to the hunter.

Last edited by AGGRO; 05-19-2017 at 3:18 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 4:14 PM
CGSSA Associate

In San Diego they did us all a favor over the last two years. They hired two guys to trap the pigs using a shotgun & traps. Well they got like 30 pigs in the two years and the other 300 plus pigs they couldn't trap were pushed into other spots that didn't have them before.
Old 05-19-2017, 4:16 PM

If I am hunting anywhere that has pigs, I will most certainly bring a method of take and a pig tag. We don't have them in Calaveras County (or at least they haven't been spotted in a decade or more) so I don't buy them unless I go up to D3 or A Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
There are too many in this forum that do nothing. Don't vote, don't belong to the NRA, don't donate time and or money, etc etc so the anti-gun bills will just keep coming and coming. You are right. Us doing nothing at all won't help.
Old 05-19-2017, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Take me with you, I'll help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
I'll haul it away while you drive off if you take me!! I'll be back with some meat and BACON vacuum packed and ready for you and yours!!

I guess it was not clear. The places I go you have to HIKE....read, 3-5 miles one way. And not flat ground. Up and down drainages, across rocky ground, etc.
No way to drive to any of this area as it is BLM land and closed to vehicles.
You can ride horses, so if you have a pack animal, you can use it.

This is BLM land....no secret at all. I see the majority of the groups of wild pigs around the Bend District and off of Hwy 36 east. Get some BLM maps. Look along the drainages of Pains Creek and the Sacramento River.

I do not hunt hogs, so go to it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 05-19-2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
In San Diego they did us all a favor over the last two years. They hired two guys to trap the pigs using a shotgun & traps. Well they got like 30 pigs in the two years and the other 300 plus pigs they couldn't trap were pushed into other spots that didn't have them before.
Yep, now we'll never get one. They'll sell us tags but won't let us hunt where there are actually pigs.

Cheaper to spend a million on Govt trappers (Hi Andrew ) than let us choot em.
Old 05-19-2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumzer View Post
i have shot 1 per month this year so far. I gave the last two away. There are more feral hogs in and around gilroy and hollister than there have been in 10 years. If you are hog territory, your chances are very good.

Is this public land hunting, or private? There seems to be only tiny patches of BLM land in that area -- unless I am reading the maps wrong.
Old 05-19-2017, 5:06 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
Yep, now we'll never get one. They'll sell us tags but won't let us hunt where there are actually pigs.

Cheaper to spend a million on Govt trappers (Hi Andrew ) than let us choot em.
You still got one....glad your in the club!

someone could of had one last year if they wanted to hike ALOT!

Yep, $5mil....can't blame Andrew he didn't see the 5 mil but the gov't machine sure did....
Old 05-19-2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
You still got one....glad your in the club!

someone could of had one last year if they wanted to hike ALOT!

Yep, $5mil....can't blame Andrew he didn't see the 5 mil but the gov't machine sure did....
2...not that I'm counting LOL
Old 05-19-2017, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post

Bacon? Pretty rare to have enough fat to make bacon. And one that would isn't gonna be something you wanna carry out.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 05-19-2017, 7:04 PM

I shot two on public land last year and had several shot opportunities. Similar to BBB, I bought BLM maps, hiked in, set trail cams near the freshest pig sign I could find and zeroed in on active areas. You'll have to put in the work but there are pigs out there.
Old 05-19-2017, 7:15 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
2...not that I'm counting LOL
Who ate the second one? Lol.....there's no double unicorn tag.....one unicorn & your in! Second pig means your a game hog.....

For me it was 2-4 days same spot stalk/still hunt.....or get the dogs out and chase them all morning.....just don't hack a manzanita patch trying to get to a pig the dogs have bayed up......it's useless
Old 05-19-2017, 7:18 PM
CGSSA Associate

I forgot.......

NEXT YEAR is the key 3-6 litters by then......
Old 05-19-2017, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I guess it was not clear. The places I go you have to HIKE....read, 3-5 miles one way. And not flat ground. Up and down drainages, across rocky ground, etc.
Yeah, I got you the first time. I'm no stranger to packing meat out. Maybe I'll take your advise, and do a little recon in the area you describe - thanks!

"Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see....That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea"

The Band
Old 05-19-2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumzer View Post
On public land?
Old 05-20-2017, 7:31 PM

Sure...I buy a pig tag every year before I blast one on Nolan Twisselman's ranch. YMMV.
Old 05-21-2017, 7:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
I wouldn't trust the Dfg statistics although I would agree that the harvest numbers are down. Pig tags used to be a book of 5 for 7$. That money was supposed to be used to keep track of the pig population. Nobody batted an eye for 5 tags at 7$. Today they are 22$ a piece and the Dfg either dosent get the money, it goes into the general fund or it is used to further restrict hunting in the state. Basically the 22$ is flushed down the toilet.

Regardless of the pig population, if harvest numbers are down it's because there is going to be a growing number of disgruntled hunters who don't fill out the tag or just have it to be legal while hunting. Paying 22$ for a non native invasive species tag that dosent benifit hunting, the resource or is used to prohibit future oppertunities is standard SOP in California.
This is SOP for the State of California. They do the same with OHV licensing. The money is used to eliminate off roading areas(fencing and cops to write tickets).

California SUX!
Old 05-21-2017, 8:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you don't buy the pig tag. You will be surrounded by them.

Here I am.