Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Jasmina.....Sign up for the Skeet Clinic. In one day you will learn

What is gun fit and how to check for basic fit when shopping for a shotgun. There are things to look for and do while at the gun store if you can't actually shoot the shotgun your buying

Plus:

Safety is always #1
Try different shotguns
Basic shotgun mounting
Basic recoil management
Basic shotgun shell knowledge
Shotgun chokes
Basic shotgun marksmanship
+ more

Basics that translates to all shotgun shooting, HD or hitting flying targets.
The coaches there are experts at teaching novices and get the basics covered
Old 10-13-2017, 12:16 PM

mossberg 930 gets no love?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM

I bought my mossberg 500 for HD without shooting it. Previously only shot an 870 and super nova. Like many other stated, I read reviews and nothing but good things were said about mossberg and it went on sale so I went for it.

Id go with a 20ga youth model of an 870 or mossberg. Cant go wrong with either.

Also check you local ranges to see what they have for rent
Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Who makes a shorter length of pull stock for the Benelli M4? (other than the Mesa Urbino)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:17 PM

I realize I am advocating CalGuns heresy here, but don't over think it.

The reality is most people who buy a shotgun do so without shooting it and often without shouldering it and it works out just fine. I have bought most of mine without shooting them first and have had minor LOP modifications to only a couple - and that was when I was actively competing in club shoots.

Maker's have done exhaustive research on fit and standard shotgun dimensions are designed to fit 95% of shooters. For most, that is all you will need. Having a stocked fitted either as a major project optimizing the gun to you ($$$) or relatively minor LOP or comb adjustments, is a either a personal luxury, or for a competitive shooter looking for that extra 1 or 2 targets out of a 100, or an adaptation for a shooter that is in that 5% that standard dimensions don't work for. For the rest of us, out of the box is fine for the vast majority of users.
Old 10-14-2017, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

For a female home defense gun in semi auto get a Remington 1100 and buy a second stock from eBay Numrich or one of the many vendors selling 1100 stocks.
Have the stock cut down to fit you and have them install a 1 inch Decelerator pad and call it good.
The gun will never lose its value and resale down the road won't be an issue.
Get it in 12 gauge and forget about 16,20,28,32 and 410.
With the 1100 if you decide down the road you want to gun shoot trap or skeet you can upgrade the stock and barrel cheaper than most other semi autos and parts are easy to find.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-14-2017, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmina View Post
... in terms of being good for a petite female, ...

Some shotguns are available in "youth" models that have shorter stocks, but most are pump-action. I do not know if there are any semi-auto youth models.

You might be able to find one with an adjustable stock, but those are not cheap.

Benelli and Beretta make good guns.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:36 PM

Jasmina
Not sure a skeet or clay shoot is going to help you with what your looking for
You said your in Socal that would put you close to Firearms Training Associates, classes held in norco. They have a home defense shotgun glass every couple months
I’ve helped out with a couple of the classes, lots of good info
My first question are you right or left handed
I ask that because the mossberg safety is much easier for lefties to use
In either case I would steer away from semi autos, unless your comfortable handling one
My recommendations would be either a 500 or 870 youth model
In 20 gauge with a 18in barrel, for home defense either model is more than adequate
Whatever gun you decide on by all means shoot at least 200 rounds through it to make yourself comfortable and ensure gun is reliable(you don’t need to shoot all rounds in one day)
Old 10-15-2017, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

IMHO, Hunters do pretty well at a clays range, Clay shooters do pretty well on a Tac or 3 Gun course....I have never witnessed the reverse to be true.
Old 10-15-2017, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6pilot View Post
Jasmina
Not sure a skeet or clay shoot is going to help you with what your looking for
You said your in Socal that would put you close to Firearms Training Associates, classes held in norco. They have a home defense shotgun glass every couple months
I’ve helped out with a couple of the classes, lots of good info
My first question are you right or left handed
I ask that because the mossberg safety is much easier for lefties to use
In either case I would steer away from semi autos, unless your comfortable handling one
My recommendations would be either a 500 or 870 youth model
In 20 gauge with a 18in barrel, for home defense either model is more than adequate
Whatever gun you decide on by all means shoot at least 200 rounds through it to make yourself comfortable and ensure gun is reliable(you don’t need to shoot all rounds in one day)
They handle the same way as a pump action sans pumping for the next round.

There's a variety of field semis with youth proportions. Browning Silver, Winchester SX-3 and Benelli Monelfeltro and M2 to name a few.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 10-16-2017, 5:30 AM

It's been mentioned to look at some youth model in pump: 870 or Mossberg 500. In S/A's, you have the Weatherby SA-08 youth, TriStar makes youth models and gets very good reviews. I wouldn't think you'd need to spend a big amount of money on a HD type shotgun. Just my opinion tho.
Old 10-16-2017, 5:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Why spend a lot of money on a gun you're never going to shoot?

In a true defensive situation, you're not going to notice the trigger pull, or finish on the gun.

You're going to default to your training. You're much better off putting a thousand rounds thru a clays gun, that you can actually shoot.
Old 10-16-2017, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

If funds allow (you mentioned $3K which will suffice for any SA under the sun) , I'd prolly opt for a Benelli M2 or M1 Montefeltro. Extremely reliable (same action as the M1 Montefeltro which is one of the very few that hold up to Argentina dove hunts (2500 rounds per day is typical), field worthy and HD style stocks in short length of pull are readily available.

https://www.benelliusa.com/compact-shotguns

https://mesatactical.com/products/ur...t-12-ga-black/

12g is a lot easier to feed with HD type ammo.

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 10-16-2017 at 8:53 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 9:43 AM

Pretty much everything has been said.

IMO, the idea of shooting a gun before you buy it is a little over-rated. I think it is a great idea, if it's reasonably convenient. But I think holding, shouldering, dry firing is 90% of the value you get from firing a gun before buying. Recoil/target re-acquisition are pretty much all you miss out on, and both of those items can be managed through training, which should be paramount for an HD firearm. Especially with the internet, vetting the performance of a firearm in advance of walking into the store is at simply at the tip of your fingers.

With that said, I think reliability, ammo availability, and comfort would be my primary concerns (since you're not budget limited).

I would choose 12 ga for HD ammo availability, pick a variety of models you believe are reliable enough to trust with your life, go handle them at the store to see which ones are more comfortable for you and make a decision from there. If you can find a way to test them first, by all means, do so. I wouldn't let that stop you though, especially if you feel you are filling a gap in your defensive needs at home.

The pistol grip on my buddy's M4 seemed a bit odd to me at first, but I found it was extremely comfortable within the first few shots. This was both firing from the hip, shouldering and shooting steel, and even shooting some sporting clays with am 18.5-inch barrel. If I had the money, I would love to own one and my friend loves to remind me that I don't!

Happy shopping! If you find a good range that rents a variety of shotguns, let us know!
Old 10-17-2017, 12:13 AM

For under $3k you could get an 870 and a guard dog
Old 10-17-2017, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevNull Ogre View Post
This might be a crazy idea, but a Beretta A400 with Kick Off is shockingly gentle on top of being a great gun. With your budget, you could have a gunsmith shorten the barrel to 18" and have a pretty awesome HD shotgun. Find or have fabricated a magazine extension and you'd really be set.
Or
Add kick off to 1301, Xtreme II Kick Off

Last edited by novelty; 10-17-2017 at 12:23 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
OP, would you buy a car without driving it first?
Great suggestion as always. Would you please point her where she can test drive the different models? I didn't think so.

NoSTAZ
Old 10-17-2017, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
Great suggestion as always. Would you please point her where she can test drive the different models? I didn't think so.
SoCal Skeet Clinic as mentioned already
Old 10-17-2017, 9:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
I'm just spit ballin here, but maybe try being less of a dick, and maybe somebody with a bunch of guns will invite you out to the range?
Old 10-18-2017, 8:44 AM

I bought my shotgun (berretta 1301 tactical) without shooting it. I did hold it and one of the reasons I chose it, was because it was smaller (shorter).
Old 10-18-2017, 9:25 AM

Get the gun you like and just practice a lot with it. Recoil is really something for new shooters or shooters new to their gun. You learn to manage it, and completely forget about it. Same with the weight of the gun. if you practice, you will learn how to handle the gun in a manner which is comfortable, effective and safe.

Sounds like you already have some practice under your belt, so just get a shotgun. Doesn't matter which really, so get the one you like. Then you will decide where to go from there.

The most fun part of a shotgun is the ammo! There are so many different types of rounds out there. Find the rounds that make you feel defended, buy thousands of those rounds and just practice.
Old 10-18-2017, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
I hate to disagree with you nedro, but for home defense only, fit means little to nothing IMO.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Fitting is VERY important shooting clays, etc. A shotgun for home defense needs no special fitting as long as you can comfortably shoot it.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt

“There is always a well-known solution to every human problem – neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

If your going to cut down the stock and barrel. Why not get something inexpensive like a Mossberg 500 or Rem 870? Or Pick up a used double barrel...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHavasu View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. Fitting is VERY important shooting clays, etc. A shotgun for home defense needs no special fitting as long as you can comfortably shoot it.
Hell, it'll still work if you can't comfortably shoot it
Old 10-18-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
Who makes a shorter length of pull stock for the Benelli M4? (other than the Mesa Urbino)
Mesa Urbino LEO M4 adapter.
I don't think you can go wrong with Beretta 1301 tactical, with a LEO/hydraulic buffer adapter. It's very comfortable to shoot, nice adjustability on LOP and stock options, recoil is reduced considerably. Still very light weight over all.

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 10-18-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Old 10-18-2017, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Hell, it'll still work if you can't comfortably shoot it
Very true!
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt

“There is always a well-known solution to every human problem – neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 10-18-2017, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

In a true home defense scenario (as long as you're not Jason Borne) I would guess you'll most likely be firing one magazine tube's worth of ammo.

Your adrenaline will be dumping, your hands will be sweating, and you'll have tunnel vision.

How a shotgun fits will be the last thing on your mind.
Old 10-18-2017, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
If funds allow (you mentioned $3K which will suffice for any SA under the sun) , I'd prolly opt for a Benelli M2 or M1 Montefeltro. Extremely reliable (same action as the M1 Montefeltro which is one of the very few that hold up to Argentina dove hunts (2500 rounds per day is typical), field worthy and HD style stocks in short length of pull are readily available.

https://www.benelliusa.com/compact-shotguns
I can vouch for the Benelli M2 Field Compact 12 gauge. Wife uses one as her trap shooting shotgun and puts between 15,000 to 20,000 rounds through it a year. The only maintenance required is to change out the recoil spring after a year or so, and they are plenty and easily available. It is one heck of a solid shotgun.
Old 10-19-2017, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs T View Post
Beretta 1301 in either the Comp or Tactical model. It has adjustable length of pull and adjustable pitch shims included. Add the KZ-109 bolt on KickEEZ recoil pad for pretty good recoil mitigation. I paid $1k new and $100 more for the +3 mag tube extension and Kickeez pad.

This is my HD shotgun of choice along with an inexpensive XD-40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
Get an M4. You can get it with a traditional stock if you don’t want the pistol grip.

If you want to add a mag extension just know it will be costly if you want it to be legal.

I will be buying one shortly, I don’t think there’s a better semi auto for the money.

And yes they do retain their value well.
TMK non-USA made shotgun can't be altered to over 5 rounds (without replacing enough parts with USA made). Perhaps that what "expensive" suggested.

Personally, I like the AR style pistol grip for a dedicated HD gun. Allows one handed secure hold (while dialing a phone, etc.). For any use other than HD/SD/LEO it's dysfunctional.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 10-20-2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
TMK non-USA made shotgun can't be altered to over 5 rounds (without replacing enough parts with USA made). Perhaps that what "expensive" suggested.

Personally, I like the AR style pistol grip for a dedicated HD gun. Allows one handed secure hold (while dialing a phone, etc.). For any use other than HD/SD/LEO it's dysfunctional.
Mesa LEO...uses M4 compatible grips, buffer tube and stocks!