Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-25-2018, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
I live in the Pacific Northwest and I have ponds with fish, cattle, poultry, etc; but what do I know...
Apparently more than my niece, who is completing her Ph.D. in Fisheries Science from Oregon State, where she specializes in sustainable aquaculture, and manages freshwater research ponds as well as a marine oyster and scallop farm. I'm just repeating what she's told me

Quote:
Any position or retreat can be overrun and will have to be re-taken. I was suggesting that chickens and rabbits might be more portable than pond fish.
I suppose fish can always be thrown in barrels, but portability is worth discussing. An interesting question would be to look into what should be taken in such a situation? Fish in a barrel, given the weight of water, might be a poor choice when running for one's life, but OTOH the water can be purified once the fish are eaten and therefore no longer using it, and certainly nothing is more essential than water.
Is it better to take 100 kg of goats or winter wheat? 20 kg of live rabbits or salted beef? Calories, ease of transport, considerations for the future, water requirements, etc -- they all play a role. What's the optimal balance, given a mule-pulled wagon with a capacity of X? What if it's all being carried? What if you have to fight? Winter wheat is silent, but a goat might give away your position.

Quote:
If you think that there will not be people out there with crew served machine guns, technicals, whatever is on hand in the local armory, etc. then you may be in for a surprise. Brother, I hope we all never find out.
This doesn't address my point. Sure, if somebody rolls up with a bunch of M1-A2s they win. But that's some freak thing, again, not the general case. Might as well worry about Yellowstone Caldera erupting. Won't be long until that crew-service weapon needs a new barrel, or will run out of mortars, so therefore it won't be long until they become rarer than unicorns. But you'll be able to scavenge AR-15 parts for decades, if not centuries.

If you do believe that there will be a proliferation of, e.g., LMGs from local armories, consider that a machine gun isn't going to do anything to thick stone walls, but soldiers exposed trying to guard acres of farmland will die like flies.

Completely agree on the "never find out" angle. Our plan is bug-out via the ocean, and let the mainlanders find out the truth about how these thought exercises actually play out...
Old 05-25-2018, 7:48 AM

Glad you have it all figured out!
Old 05-26-2018, 5:53 AM

I think we all can agree that it will take more people than most recognize to survive a TEOTWAWKI situation.