Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-01-2018, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default Backpacking vs SHTF packing?

I scroll through some of the threads posted on here and I got to thinking, how many of you actually possess any outdoor skills?

My significant other and I do a lot of hiking, and either when time permits, or if I take a vacation, we'll go backpacking for up to 5-7 days at a time.

This means all we've got is what we're taking.

Fortunately, I've got a ton of UL stuff because the **** I had in the military weighed more than enough and I didn't want to do that again.

So I got to thinking about those on here that hike/backpack, and wondering how your weekend or 1 week packs differ from your SHTF/BOB?

For us, we use our 5.11 12/24 RUSH packs.

Sure, they're heavier than our ultralight packs, but they're also much more durable. The 24 RUSH packs less than my Osprey, but if I went minimalist and was near a body of water, I could survive for some time. The downfall would be the additional weight on top of adding a firearm, chest rig, and NVG with ballistic helmet (if situation dictated of course). There's also the addition of a few more first aid supplies that I don't normally carry on a backpacking trip as well as as an extra poncho, liner, glow sticks, duct tape, food etc. Also have to add some water proofing bags but other than that, I carry all the same stuff.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 06-01-2018, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My hike pack is my BOB, Hikers already have an advantage in this situation IMHO. The need for more stuff means extra weight, I can camp a long time with my pack as is, the only thing I'm throwing in my pack would be more rounds and that would add a lot of weight right there.
I use the Osprey atmos 65 ag

Last edited by Red-Osier77; 06-01-2018 at 4:53 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 4:57 PM

My mules pack a bunch of stuff. We have several stainless barrels filled with stuff that we leave up in the high country. We have 4 locations of stuff.
Old 06-01-2018, 6:55 PM

Here is something to think about.
If it is bad enough to force me to run for the woods I think i will stick it out and be the urban king kong since i am much more familiar with the urban jungle than the real one. I used to be a nature boy but family and career slowed that down and skills got lost. however I know how to forage for supplies in the urban setting and fade away when i have to only to pop up someplace else. If they can force you to abandon your home they win. they have you out in the woods and they can come for you at their leisure using aircraft to direct ground troops. The toughest fighting for an occupying force is urban fighting and the highest casualty rates. And you take what they have to resupply yourself. they find your stash in the woods and you are SOL. in a neighborhood there are lots of resupply venues not to mention the enemy himself. I would rather face my enemy on friendly ground to me not him. It never hurts to be prepared and how do you know you aren't feeding the illegal pot farmers in the mountains? Some thing to think about.

Last edited by warbird; 06-01-2018 at 6:58 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
Here is something to think about.
If it is bad enough to force me to run for the woods I think i will stick it out and be the urban king kong since i am much more familiar with the urban jungle than the real one. I used to be a nature boy but family and career slowed that down and skills got lost. however I know how to forage for supplies in the urban setting and fade away when i have to only to pop up someplace else. If they can force you to abandon your home they win. they have you out in the woods and they can come for you at their leisure using aircraft to direct ground troops. The toughest fighting for an occupying force is urban fighting and the highest casualty rates. And you take what they have to resupply yourself. they find your stash in the woods and you are SOL. in a neighborhood there are lots of resupply venues not to mention the enemy himself. I would rather face my enemy on friendly ground to me not him. It never hurts to be prepared and how do you know you aren't feeding the illegal pot farmers in the mountains? Some thing to think about.
Urban/city area they just turn off the water, shutdown anyone or anything going in and they'll starve you out eventually.
Old 06-01-2018, 7:49 PM

My weekend backpack, which I'm using tonight and tomorrow, has some clothes, Dopp kit, flashlight, and other essentials required for a hotel stay in relative comfort. No water or food stuffs in this one. It fits perfectly in the tail bag on my bike so in its current configuration, it also goes on up to 7-day motorcycle adventures.

My BOB is geared more for 72 hours survival. LifeStraw, back up gun/ammo (for my wife and/or son), torch and matches, protein bars, spare knife, lights, perimeter alarm, paracord, etc, etc.

I also have a few large totes in the garage filled with water jugs, jet boil and fuel, cooking apparatus, tarps, rope, duct tape, tents, sleeping bags, etc. I also keep one smaller tote filled with various Mountain House flavors. The totes are handy for storing it all when not in use. If I/we need to go in a hurry though, it's all in one place on a shelf we have to walk by to get out of the house. Grab them and go. Where I am, bugging out means getting in the truck and going.

I keep a small get-home pack under the rear seat in my truck with a change of clothes, toothbrush and other road-essentials, along with a fully stocked med kit.

My hiking pack is a mishmash of the above, tailored to where I'm going and how long I'm going to be there.
Old 06-01-2018, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

See, if society was to break down, I'm assuming that living in an urban environment is somewhat a no-go. Water would be shut off, electricity as well.

I've had to live through such things where I'm at now due to the bad floods last year...hell we went without utilities for 2 weeks straight.

Anyway, just wanted to get an idea of things I may be missing out on vs my hiking pack.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 06-03-2018, 5:32 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I assume you have something other than the 'Vette. SHTF survival skills don't necessarily mean you're without a vehicle.

Yes, I have the means to move and live on foot, all that stuff fits in the jeep up to that point...

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 06-03-2018, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I assume you have something other than the 'Vette. SHTF survival skills don't necessarily mean you're without a vehicle.

Yes, I have the means to move and live on foot, all that stuff fits in the jeep up to that point...
Got 3 of'em actually

Funny you post that; our company owns a Jeep franchise yet I haven't made the jump the buy one...yet...
Old 06-04-2018, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Urban/city area they just turn off the water, shutdown anyone or anything going in and they'll starve you out eventually.
Agreed. Though I don't think it will be a "they will just turn off the water". Most of the Central Valley is basically a desert. In a major SHTF situation where the power goes off and the pumps stop working, most of the Central Valley will become uninhabitable after a short time. Especially in the summer.
My house is in an older section of town, and we are located 2 blocks from what we fondly call the "ghetto". Which is South and West of us. The area to the South often has shootings and other problems.
So, staying around may not be an option.
I have a 3 Day Assault pack for my GHB/BOB, and a large Alice pack with the "Hellcat" conversion as a serious "IGTH" bag. While I am still in the process of setting them up, I do occasionally take them for a hike up in the mountains to test them out. Walking around the living room tells one nothing. But a 2 miles hike in the woods can start pointing things out.
Old 06-04-2018, 5:35 AM

Old 06-04-2018, 6:03 PM
Elevator Mechanic
CGN Contributor

I keep my hiking and BOB gear separate. My Rush-12 carries my camping/hiking essentials and several different versipacks and other brands that I forgot the name of are for weapons and BOB gear. For me it keeps things simple and I can just grab as needed. I’m probably going to grab another Rush-24 or two and consolidate the BOB gear. Really a huge fan of those Rush bags. I’m going on 7 or 8 years on my 12 with heavy use. It’s fantastic.

WTB cheap/used AK MFER.