Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-20-2005, 9:27 PM

Other than Big5? Just checking what my options are...or if anyone has one for sale?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:16 PM

Tony: Thanks for the explanation!

I always had the impression that a C&R was a 'compliment' if you will for an FFL holder. I think I may already have a deal for the Mosin, but who ever stopped at just one?
Old 02-21-2005, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<span class="ev_code_RED">BIG 5</span>

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 02-24-2005, 8:58 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought C&R is for FFL holders?
Old 02-24-2005, 8:46 PM

Get yourself and C&R license. You can buy them online for $39.95 to $59.95 for ones in like new condition.

If I remember right the license is about $30.00, you'll make that back on the first rifle and you don't have 10 day wait.
Old 02-24-2005, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

A C&R license is a type of FFL that allows you to purchase curio and relic firearms for a personal collection (although you can sell a few, but you have to document it and I wouldn't go overboard). It's a class 3 (in CA this means you can order rifles over 50 years old, if ordering handguns you still need to go through a dealer - meaning someone with a Class 1 FFL). A class 3 is much easier to get than a Class 1 (modern firearms and dealer). In order to get a class 3 C&R all you need to do it call your local ATF. They send you an application. It takes 5 minutes to fill out. Enlose $30 check. Send in. When you get your class 3 license you'll be able to order all the Mosin Nagants you want (and many other cool C&R rifles) and have them shipped directly to your home .
As mentioned above you'll make the $30 back on your first purchase. The $30 fee is good for 3 years. And, most importantly, you'll be able to select from many internet dealers/private parties...so you can choose one in great shape. Big 5 is a real crapshoot. Sometimes you find something decent. Sometimes not. The one near me is selling beater 91/30s for $199 ::eyeroll::. Call and order your application tomorrow. If you like shooting it's the best $30 you can spend.
Old 02-20-2005, 9:42 PM

so far with these sales big 5 is one of the best deals around, you see M44s in gun shops around with similar prices but usually they cost more. sometimes though the big 5 ones are kinda beat up you just have to look around
Old 02-20-2005, 9:27 PM

Other than Big5? Just checking what my options are...or if anyone has one for sale?
Old 02-21-2005, 1:24 PM
slowjon

Kram, where are you located? I have a great condition m44 that I would consider selling. Im in the o.c./rivco area.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on the C&R FFL. In addition to being able to order all sorts of good milsurp and other old long guns off the 'net, you'll get a dealer's discount at Brownells and Midway, and you can get the dealer's specials at Century.

These 3 discounts alone have paid back my $30 fee many times over, even if I had never used it for a gun.

The other good plus is that you can buy C&R handguns in other states, then register them when you bring them back to California. If you travel, this opens up a whole new world of opportunities to drain your wallet, but you have to find dealers who understand the C&R regs.

The big downside of the 03 FFL is that you'll soon need a bigger safe and a better paying job.

max

NRA Life Member
Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The big downside of the 03 FFL is that you'll soon need a bigger safe and a better paying job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>