Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-10-2012, 3:58 PM

Default what you LEO think about Mirkarimi keeping job?

Since SF county = SF city, Sheriff's ONLY job is running the jail and his conviction is "false imprisonment".

Sometimes the jokes just write themselves.

Not "false imprisonment" because he missed a techicallity on one of the thousands that get processed by his dept, but of his wife, with lots related nastiness.

My favorite was when after going through about a dozen lawyers and several months he was saying "neither I nor my wife understand what has happened to us". Hmmm, if a dozen lawyers and few months can't explain to a SHERIFF what copping a plea to a one count low grade misdemeanor is all about, maybe he isn't ready to be Sheriff.

I've been to jail and I can tell you at least 1/2 of prisoners aren't really criminals but people with just enough mental problems to get them arrested, but just not crazy enough to get a 'pass'....so as a fuzzy liberal I'd really like to at least have a Sheriff who isn't so wrapped up in his own twisted view of the world.
Old 10-10-2012, 4:15 PM

I'll just say if it was any other cop, the DV thing would be an issue.
Old 10-10-2012, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Can't delete from phone
Old 10-10-2012, 4:28 PM

He is a politician in SF...shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone
Old 10-10-2012, 4:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I have seen felony convictions with less bruising than his wife had. Then again SF DA's office doesn't exactly have an impressive conviction rate. I don't think he should have gotten a plea deal nor his job back.
Old 10-10-2012, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

This was in the cards, politically speaking. Mirkarimi has sufficient fellow travelers (in the true sense of that phrase) on the Board of Supervisors to have it come out this way. If he were rank and file, as Falconis suggests, it almost certainly would have worked out far differently.

My personal opinion is that he never should have been elected in the first place as he is wholly unqualified for the job. He does not have, at this point, any measure of respect from his staff aside from the political butt kissers and it's doubtful he'll gain it. He does not enjoy the support of the Mayor, the District Attorney or the chief of SFPD. It's going to be a long three years until the next election for those who work at SFSD.

Squid, the SFSD does a lot more than just running the jails and protecting the courts.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 10-10-2012, 6:38 PM

I am flat out disgusted. He is a disgrace to the star.
Old 10-10-2012, 6:57 PM

Default What does SFSD do besides jail and courts?

I got some vague idea that Sheriff sorta outranks city as far as legal status(county vs city in county), but what do they do? Parks? Legal notice service?

Is there a bunch of stuff always done by Sheriff's office in any city?
Old 10-10-2012, 7:37 PM

no outranking. it's all a matter of jurisdiction and who has it.
Old 10-10-2012, 7:46 PM

Default Hmmm

I think the moral fabric of this country has diminished to the point to almost non existence.
Old 10-10-2012, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
I got some vague idea that Sheriff sorta outranks city as far as legal status(county vs city in county), but what do they do? Parks? Legal notice service?

Is there a bunch of stuff always done by Sheriff's office in any city?
San Francisco is somewhat unique as it is both a city and a county with the exact same geographical boundary. The office of sheriff is a constitutional office and has certain responsibilities in every county. In San Francisco the SFPD takes care of most policing chores on the street but SFSD has grown it's field responsibilities over the past dozen years or so, in part by taking over all the old Institutional Police units. Old timers from SFPD will know what those were.

More on what SFSD does can be found here. Click on "About Us".

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 10-10-2012, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it's living proof that SF politics aren't too different from the Chicago variety.
Old 10-10-2012, 9:05 PM

Sheriff is a political office. Go figure there would be a political outcome.

He needs to go. I hope there is a good challenger and enough upset people to get him out next election.
Old 10-10-2012, 9:20 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

Default I'm on the fence on this one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneaudiopro View Post
I think the moral fabric of this country has diminished to the point to almost non existence.
QFT.

I think I'm one of the few that caught this, but he stated while driving his car, she tired to leave the vehicle and he grab her arm. The only issues is it's the wrong arm. Did he lie?

On another note, some people (like my Wife for example) if you help her out the car (like after surgery) she will bruise. I'd hate to loose my job for that, but if I was due to violence, than yeah he needs to go. Now another spin would be if you were applying to be an Police Officer, if you where ever convicted of false imprisonment, you would never work in Law Enforcement.

I think it all comes down to his level of violence, it's hard to say what really happened, what his intent was and so fourth. This is one where I wish there was video. He's Wife seems to be going along with every thing which is the only reason he's gotten a pass. I hope this humbles him, they're is a teachable moment here where he could make a big impact on his community, become a great and understanding leader and I for one hope at this juncture he does just that.

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 10-11-2012 at 7:24 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 PM

Having worked DV for 4 years, my experience says something else. If you saw that video, you know it was more than just a simple grab. I admit, she could have been playing it up for the camera. My memory is fuzzy, but I think she became "cooperative" when he was put on leave without pay. She kind of saw her paycheck disappear as well. Just my personal opinion. I don't think this humbled him at all, but rather emboldened him for the next 3 years. I have no confidence in that jerk.

Last edited by retired; 10-24-2012 at 11:35 PM..
Old 10-11-2012, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
QFT.

I think I'm one of the few that caught this, but he stated while driving his car, she tired to leave the vehicle and he grab her arm. The only issues is it's the wrong arm. Did he lie?

Triple
I had never heard that this happened in the car. I thought everyone said it happened after they came home from a New Year's party at the neighbor's home. Or at least that was the first story that came out. She was somewhat cooperative until she got what she wanted from the court, and what the fight was about her leaving the country with the kid.

I'm still somewhat sure that before the next election she is going to bail and go back to Venezuela with the kid. Not until she takes him for everything she can get holding this over his head. Nearly every time she speaks it just seems like she is playing a well rehearsed role.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Default Looks like a re-call efforts is afoot, heh-heh.

You know this character will be spending 110% of his time and effort fighting that, while running the dept into the ground with appointments of unqualified freaks of the sort only found in Frisco.
Old 10-11-2012, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

The Sheriff is a politician so it's pretty much status quo.
Old 10-11-2012, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I have seen felony convictions with less bruising than his wife had. Then again SF DA's office doesn't exactly have an impressive conviction rate. I don't think he should have gotten a plea deal nor his job back.
First domestic violence arrest with an uncooperative victim and no serious injury is pretty much a pass.
Old 10-11-2012, 5:23 PM
Calguns Addict

The Sheriff is an elected official. It's up to the voters to get rid of him.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 10-11-2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrist View Post
First domestic violence arrest with an uncooperative victim and no serious injury is pretty much a pass.
problem is, he plead
Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 PM

Kind of tough to be the chief LEO in a county and can't even carry a gun since he's on probation. A regular cop would have gotten the ban hammer from his job.

Mirikarimi is a joke, plain and simple.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Watch the video of his crying wife before making any judgment calls...she states he also threatened to use his power to take away their child, AND that this was a second instance of abuse.
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...sco&id=8683527
Old 10-23-2012, 2:18 PM

not sure where "pass" on 1st DV comes from.

I've known a few that got a full load on their 1st. Maybe it wasn't their 1st?
Old 10-24-2012, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
not sure where "pass" on 1st DV comes from.

I've known a few that got a full load on their 1st. Maybe it wasn't their 1st?
Severity and possibly different counties. Also I said an uncooperative victim. If the victim is gun ho then you can get a full load on your first. Chances are there was already a documented history and it probably wasn't there first anyway.
Old 10-24-2012, 4:23 PM

I've seen them unload on cops without a cooperative victim. This is bull****.
Old 10-26-2012, 5:51 PM

Raider510 hit on what I was wondering about. He's on probation and can't carry a gun. Once he's off probation, does the false imprisonment charge disqualify him from owning a gun?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronite View Post
Raider510 hit on what I was wondering about. He's on probation and can't carry a gun. Once he's off probation, does the false imprisonment charge disqualify him from owning a gun?
I think it depends on whether or not they charged the false imprisonment as a domestic violence crime. If so, then yes he would not be able to carry or even own firearms. If anyone has ever applied for a LEO job, that is one of the automatic disqualifier questions they ask "Have you ever been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence which would prohibit you from owning a firearm?" (or something to that effect.)

I hope he's disqualified, and they get rid of him. LEO's are always held to a higher standard, he shouldn't be the exception to the rule. It screams of hypocrisy, and reflects poorly on the thin blue line of good honest cops.