Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-21-2020, 10:44 PM

Default NAA mini 22 timing?

I am a new owner of a NAA mini 22lr. It appears to my (untrained) eye that the revolver may be slightly out of time as the cylinder appears to be not perfectly centered when the hammer is cocked. This is a factory gun and cylinder and I have not yet shot it. Looking down the barrel I can see a sliver (maybe 1/32 inch) of the edge of the cylinder on one side, and it is consistent for all chambers. Is this abnormal and or potentially a concern or is this within normal tolerances?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201121_222908.jpg (72.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20201121_141409.jpg (111.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20201121_223124.jpg (84.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 1:09 AM

Looked at my NAA Mini Magnum w/LR cylinder in it, and I'd agree with your analysis. When in the "safe" notch, there is play, but when a cylinder is lined up, it should actually line up, with no play.

Suggest you shoot an email with the pictures to the factory, they are pretty responsive and can give you a definitive opinion.

I wouldn't shoot it until the factory clears it for duty.

Also, do you know if the cylinder is original to the frame? I've had some "unique" issues with used cylinders off ebay... the 22lr mentioned above (off ebay) dropped right into my 22 Magnum with no adjustments needed, I've sent a couple others back as they did not function as they should.

The factory wants you to send a gun in if you're retrofitting a cylinder to make sure it's in tolerance, so I'm guessing there can be some variance?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That cylinder appears to out of time, it needs to be fixed.

Cylinders and guns vary which is why they need to be fitted / timed.

The good news is that when you send it back to NAA, they will hand fit everything and when you get it back it will be better / tighter than a new production gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
Looked at my NAA Mini Magnum w/LR cylinder in it, and I'd agree with your analysis. When in the "safe" notch, there is play, but when a cylinder is lined up, it should actually line up, with no play.

Suggest you shoot an email with the pictures to the factory, they are pretty responsive and can give you a definitive opinion.

I wouldn't shoot it until the factory clears it for duty.

Also, do you know if the cylinder is original to the frame? I've had some "unique" issues with used cylinders off ebay... the 22lr mentioned above (off ebay) dropped right into my 22 Magnum with no adjustments needed, I've sent a couple others back as they did not function as they should.

The factory wants you to send a gun in if you're retrofitting a cylinder to make sure it's in tolerance, so I'm guessing there can be some variance?
I bought it new from Turners (but was a display) so I assume it's the original cylinder/frame. I will shoot them an email thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 1:15 PM

Hell yes, that thing is outta line!!! Badly. Call the Co...demand a mailing label and send it back.........frankly, as bad as that looks they outta give you a replacement gun!

Carried a mini for over 30 years........ultimate last ditch back up piece....only issue I've ever had was a broken main spring........mailed it back and had the repaired piece back in hand in short order.

Some folks deride the hell outta the things, but you can hide one in a cigarette pack and they WILL work well if the situation requires it.......hell, I killed a buck whitetail with mine while a friend was sitting on it trying to contain it by holding the antlers............his kid still has the skull with that .22 hole.......

Lemme add, that if you are a cop......read Wambaugh's Onion Field...that design could have made the difference.
Old 11-22-2020, 1:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

NAA has great customer service, call them

1A - 2A = -1A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunndeal View Post
Stop digging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Evil, nasty, vicious!!
I like the way you think!
Old 11-22-2020, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
Hell yes, that thing is outta line!!! Badly. Call the Co...demand a mailing label and send it back.........frankly, as bad as that looks they outta give you a replacement gun!

Carried a mini for over 30 years........ultimate last ditch back up piece....only issue I've ever had was a broken main spring........mailed it back and had the repaired piece back in hand in short order.

Some folks deride the hell outta the things, but you can hide one in a cigarette pack and they WILL work well if the situation requires it.......hell, I killed a buck whitetail with mine while a friend was sitting on it trying to contain it by holding the antlers............his kid still has the skull with that .22 hole.......

Lemme add, that if you are a cop......read Wambaugh's Onion Field...that design could have made the difference.
I definitely had future CC in mind getting it. I've always heard they were well made guns, I must've just got a lemon.
Old 11-23-2020, 1:16 PM

I agree, NAA has great costumer service. I got mine used from a buddy who got it used. It didn't have the safety notches in the cylinder. I called and sent it to them and they replaced and returned it quickly at no charge. While the had it, I ordered a LR cylinder (it only had the Mag cylinder when I got it). Return time was quick.
Old 11-23-2020, 1:27 PM

Yep great customer service. I had a problem years after I purchased it with timing. They fixed it. Like others have said not a firearm I would pick first but way better than a knife or fist. Duct tape it whatever, pretty darn hard to detect. back up to the back up... you would be in deep sheep if you had to resort to it. BTW just plain fun to shoot and try to hit something with. It is possible to hit a soup can at 20 ft everytime. Unique grip for me on my 22 mini mag 1 1/8 bbl. I use index and thumb to hold grip and pull trigger with signalling (middle) finger
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 11-23-2020, 7:06 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Mine is great. I throw it in my gym shorts pocket when I make quick stops on the way home, instead of taking the time to change in to real clothes with a belt. Also works great for snakes, and impressing the ladies.