Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum This is a temporary forum for discussion, debate, sharing and helping each other during and in relation to the Coronavirus/COVID19

Old 11-21-2020, 7:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Article in WSJ regarding effects on different people

The article is studying how the Covid virus affect different people, including those in the same family. Somewhat interesting. No paywall when I saw it, hope it still works.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/four-di...jdu3&mod=fftco

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 11-21-2020, 8:39 PM

It's a good read, it emphasizes that deaths are not the only negative outcome from covid. If have a gut feeling, not based upon any evidence, that when we look back upon the data in 7-10 years the number of (Quality Adjusted Life Year) QALYs lost to people with long term morbidities from Covid > QALYs lost to people who died. Mostly b/c I think the long term group will be MUCH larger than the group who died.

"The study was originally slated to be three months, says Dr. Nadeau, but was extended to four years when researchers found that for a subset of patients—about 10%—the symptoms from Covid-19 persisted more than three months."

Dr. Purpura’s study is reviewing data from the last three months and finding a much higher rate of symptoms than expected. “Over 60% of patients are reporting at least one symptom at every visit, with weakness, shortness of breath, headaches, muscle aches, joint pain, and psychiatric symptoms being among the most common,” he says.

"Lawrence J. Purpura, a researcher and physician with New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center’s division of infectious diseases, is working on a post-Covid study following about 160 patients over six months to see if they develop antibodies, how long those antibodies last, and the duration of patients’ symptoms, among other things. About half the patients were hospitalized for Covid-19."

“It is not surprising that patients who were in the ICU or intubated are having long-term health complications and longer recoveries,” he adds. “Most of these complications have nothing to do with ongoing effects of the virus itself and are due to prolonged hospitalization and general deconditioning.” But they are seeing similar rates of persistent symptoms in the patients not hospitalized for Covid."
Old 11-22-2020, 12:04 AM

This is one of my suspicions/concerns regarding vaccines; i.e., that the variability by individual of symptoms, duration, susceptibility for reinfection, etc. is going to become the Achilles Heel for most or even all of them in terms of the eventual efficacy rate.

Somewhere on here, I posted about an ER doctor who reported three different results for her family in terms of the impact (not to mention test results) associated with her, her husband (also an ER doctor), and their son. While the companies tout a 'diversity' in their test groups, the reality is that there is no way to know what the long term reality is going to be due to the variability among individuals, mutation, and the normal 'margin of error' associated with moving from the 'sample group' to the population at large.

Once again, it's one of the factors as to why vaccines typically take years to decades to deploy. That's not to say that the current crop of vaccines don't look promising. It is, however, an indication that, in some ways, there's as much 'hope' being put into them as there is 'hard data.' Either that or somebody knows something that's really not 'knowable' at this point; which would then beg other questions.
Old 11-22-2020, 9:28 AM

The study seems legit. The variety of responses within the same family is very interesting.
The study won't support some people's position that the Covid-19 is nothing more than a common cold or annual flu.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
The study won't support some people's position that the Covid-19 is nothing more than a common cold or annual flu.
Devil's advocate - there are people who catch the flu and have lasting symptoms like "coughing" "shortness of breath" "fatigue" for many weeks. Not usually 3 months, I'll give you that. The degree to which these lasting effects actually negatively impact people isn't quantified. It's just self-reporting of "I still don't feel good". The great variability between how it effects people is certainly worth studying though. When my brother caught the covid he felt sick for a few days, but as a super-fit gym 6 days a week kind of guy, he was back in the gym after a week or two and felt totally normal.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
Devil's advocate - there are people who catch the flu and have lasting symptoms like "coughing" "shortness of breath" "fatigue" for many weeks. Not usually 3 months, I'll give you that. The degree to which these lasting effects actually negatively impact people isn't quantified. It's just self-reporting of "I still don't feel good". The great variability between how it effects people is certainly worth studying though. When my brother caught the covid he felt sick for a few days, but as a super-fit gym 6 days a week kind of guy, he was back in the gym after a week or two and felt totally normal.
I'm familiar with the "this flu is never going to end" feeling - and then one morning I'd wake up and feel "back to normal."
The biggest problem I see here is the complete denial by some that this isn't the same as the as the annual flu that comes around, or the common cold. There's enough data to say that it's different, and worth paying attention.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:09 AM
CGSSA Associate

Two years ago my buddy a health 50yr old had a virus, still not identified that killed part of his heart.
It also in creased his sleep apnea.
So he's got a pacemaker and electrode that shocks him to breathe for the sleep apnea.

We don't know ****! And might never know....

He's negative for covid antibodies