Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Which scope for long-range 223?

So, I have the shorter rifle for close in with reflex sight. The medium range with Leupold 3-9x40 Tri-MOA. Now I want to outfit my Savage 10 223 as the long-range shooting iron. Currently it sports a VX 1 3-9x40 duplex.

My criteria:
1. Good range scope, see 100 yd target hugely. At 9x, the target is so-so big. I want the new scope to get me in real effin close. Like I could almost touch the target.
2. The criteria above means I can easily put one between the eyes of a squirrel at 100 yds. assuming I do my job.
3. It would be nice if it dialed back to 3x or 4x.
4. Wouldn't mind trying 500 or more yds one day.
5. Optionally, I'd like to have fun dialing in, but not required depending on the scope. My Tri-Moa is great for holdovers so that's fun too.
6. Depending where I retire, it will be used to hit varmints.

Price - 500 to 800 buckolas.

What scope would you buy for a long-range 223? Partial to Leupolds and the Tri-MOA reticle, if that helps. But will consider others.

Last edited by frankm; 11-16-2020 at 11:40 PM..
Old 11-17-2020, 6:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

My SPR wears a Vortex Viper PST Gen.II 1x6. That would meet all your criteria, including price, for a good used one.

A newer 1x8 model would work well also.
Old 11-17-2020, 7:39 AM

Also agree on PST Gen II. You can find the FFP 3-15x44 for under 800 online. If you wanted that high of magnification.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2020, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

How about the new VX-Freedom AR 3-9x40 with the TMR reticle? That sounds like it meets your requirements, and also costs a lot less at $249 street price. TMR reticles, like standard mil-dots, are good out to 1,000 yards, so your 500+ is well within its capabilities.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-18-2020, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

My coyote rifle (AR) will do 600yds easy and I use a Leupold mark AR 4x12x40 on it. It has been knocked around and hit the deck with no damage beyond the scratches.
No kid gloves needed.

New model is https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...reedom-4-12x40

Big zoom for bench shooting is one thing but plugging varmints in the field really doesn't work as well as it sounds. YMMV due to subjective experience.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-18-2020, 10:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
My coyote rifle (AR) will do 600yds easy and I use a Leupold mark AR 4x12x40 on it. It has been knocked around and hit the deck with no damage beyond the scratches.
No kid gloves needed.

New model is https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...reedom-4-12x40

Big zoom for bench shooting is one thing but plugging varmints in the field really doesn't work as well as it sounds. YMMV due to subjective experience.
Thanks guys. I'm going to go with this one.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:47 PM

Look at Athlon scopes too. Very nice. I'm sure you would like a Midas Tac. Seriously nice stuff.

I think the 6-24x50 will do exactly what you want. Sounds like you want good magnification and clear glass.

Last edited by Peahi2; 11-18-2020 at 11:49 PM..
Old 11-19-2020, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That's true. But, FeuerFrei had a good point about bench shooting being different than plugging varmints. I'll take a look at what you recommend too. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:08 PM

One thing to look at is your eyes aging over time. If your eyesight is weakening, a scope with higher maximum magnification may be a better solution for you.

I have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40mm with a varmint reticle on my Savage .223. I can easily see the holes at 100 yards. If I had to do over, I would have opted for a 16 or 18 max magnification for longer distances, but I got a good deal on the scope that I have.

Hope you find one that works well for you, Frank.
-P
Old 11-19-2020, 1:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
One thing to look at is your eyes aging over time. If your eyesight is weakening, a scope with higher maximum magnification may be a better solution for you.

I have a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40mm with a varmint reticle on my Savage .223. I can easily see the holes at 100 yards. If I had to do over, I would have opted for a 16 or 18 max magnification for longer distances, but I got a good deal on the scope that I have.

-P
Thanks. Yeah, that's part of it. Just turned 60. Eyes aren't the same.
Old 11-19-2020, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
This one is not gonna put you "in real effin close. Like I could almost touch the target."
Old 11-19-2020, 2:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ya, rethinking which to purchase. That Athlon is nice.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Actually that's nice too
Old 11-19-2020, 10:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Read reviews. Strike Eagle is so-so.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:27 PM

Cameraland in NY has great pricing on so many nice Athlon scopes. They are well regarded dealer on Snipershide and rimfire central. You can even call them with questions and to see if further discounts are available. Doug is the guy on the forums. If I was in your position with your needs I would buy a solid Athlon.

If you can save up or wait a bit, the Cronus (Japanese glass) would be a good pick. Next level down, is Ares, still good, but glass is Chinese (if it matters to you). And like I recommended the Midas tac and other model that are in your price range. A review on the Midas tac: https://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2681
Some other place to look at deals are Sport Optics and Eurooptic.

Remember you gotta get some good rings too. The places above are good about pricing and helping you out with a deal to include rings too.

Lastly, if you're not n a hurry, I recommend taking a deep dive into the snipers hide forum. There is SO much solid info there. I think with this big of a purchase, you owe it to yourself to figure out the ins and outs of the options out there.

The market is so competitive and there are so many solid options for all price ranges.

You wanted clear glass with power in a certain price range, and a good reticle. I think with some more research you get exactly what you want. First focal plane, Christmas tree reticle or even more advanced reticle, illuminated reticle, side parallax adjustment, clear glass, locking turrets, caps, all that jazz, etc.

also if you can swing it, illumination would be nice. I was out at range this am, shooting at 100y and it would have been nice to have illuminated reticle instead of the small black cross on black target.

Last edited by Peahi2; 11-20-2020 at 4:19 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 2:03 PM

Based on what you've said so far, you're going to want the best quality glass that you can afford. In the <$800 range, you have these as your top options:

Athlon Ares BTR
Vortex Viper Gen 2
Burris XTR 2

They're all great scopes with comparable features, good reticle design, & excellent warranties. I would recommend you pick the reticle you like best and go with that.

For what it's worth, I went with the 2.5-15x version of the Athlon Ares BTR and have been VERY impressed. It's on sale for ~$550 at Cameraland NY, and I don't think you can find a better value in that price range.
Old 11-20-2020, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

I put a Viper PST 2-10 on my 18" AR. For a shorter rifle, I'd do the 1-6, though Im sticking to my old 1-4 due to it being so light.

I got it for around 800 buying discounted giftcards at Raise.com, using a 10% discount via Active Junky, and with Black Friday coming up. you know it.
Old 11-20-2020, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post

-P
I can see 22 cal holes at 200 yards with my Tasco. I am using a 6x24.

Last edited by 3006; 11-20-2020 at 6:24 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 9:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ok, picked up this sweet number: https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Vip...-PST-5251.aspx

Got 14% off. Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-21-2020, 9:59 AM

There is no such thing as a "long range .223", but if you want something good for a few hundred yards, there are lots of good choices for not too much cash.

Looks like you found one. Probably a lot more than you need, but nice.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nah, not a lot more than I need. I wanted strictly to bring the target in real close. This will do the job. I have other rifles for close-in work.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

American workers lost another sale. Sad

Quote:
Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scopes – The Viper PST series of scopes feature better optics than the Vortex Viper series and look to be targeting tactical shooting and precision shooting applications. Currently Vortex is on the 2nd generation of the PST series which includes customer-based upgrades over the PST Gen 1 versions. The PST models are all built on a 30mm tube and come equipped with exposed turrets. The PST series offers a mix of FFP and SFP models with ranging and hold-over reticles. The Viper PST Gen 2 models are manufactured in the Philippines.
https://riflescope-review.com/where-...x-scopes-made/
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well done OP. I have a couple of Leupolds, you won't be disappointed. In the unlikely event you ever need it serviced, you'll rarely find any company in the firearms industry that stands behind what they make better than the nice people at Leupold

That and thank you for actually supporting American industry and American workers. So many, if not most of the people on here wrap themselves in their flags and proclaim their love of America. Right up until the moment it costs them a few bucks more. Then principles be da***d, they are happy to support the Chinese economy rather than the American economy and worker(s) they claim to hold in such great esteem.

Oh, you went with the Chinese/Phillipine made one. Someplace where they pay people fifty cents a day. Because principals only matter when we're sitting at our keyboards arguing politics.

Last edited by SouthCityShooter; 11-21-2020 at 12:12 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, yeah. I own two leupolds. They don't happen to have one at this magnification that I can afford.
Old 11-21-2020, 4:08 PM

Glad you found a scope that will meet your needs and on budget.
-P
Old 11-21-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Nah, not a lot more than I need. I wanted strictly to bring the target in real close. This will do the job. I have other rifles for close-in work.
Good choice! Good reticle, good glass, Good warranty from Vortex (an American company who gets most of their stuff made overseas), good features...even the illumination, and good magnification. This will be good at 100 yards. You won't need to use a spotting scope. You can "aim small, miss small" with the good magnification - and the middle of the reticle won't be bigger than the pinpoint target itself....you'll have finer aiming capability.

With that magnification and clear glass you will be able to select which corner of the inner diamond to hit on these 1 inch pasters (provided that you, the gun, and the ammo can hold up their end of the bargain). That can't happen with lower magnification scopes.

Its hard to get an American made scope in the price range you have. So don't trip out on the criticism from others. The American made razor is the Vortex 6-24x50 Razor HD AMG which is $2.5K...way outside your target price.

Hell, what is 100% American made these days. Phones? Computers? Cars/car parts? Stuff at Walmart/target/costco?

Do any of the scope manufacturers actually get their glass from the US? Maybe one or two? German and Japanese manufacturers are the leaders in glass.

Last edited by Peahi2; 11-21-2020 at 10:59 PM..
Old 11-22-2020, 11:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That's great info. Thanks.