Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 09-18-2017, 8:53 PM

Hi! I'm going in to classroom training and qualifications this weekend. I originally only listed 1 handgun, my MPshield, but Ive decided I'm bringing in my Walther PPQ and MP40, also. Might as well have others listed just in case right? Or at least until I get my hands on a G43.
Old 09-19-2017, 4:58 AM

I love my Shield 9mm but I'm more comfortable with revolvers so I will carry my Kimber K6 or my Ruger LCR, depending on attire. I wear skirts or dresses 90% of the time so I'm experimenting with different options and would love some suggestions!
Old 09-19-2017, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbwondertwin View Post
Hi! I'm going in to classroom training and qualifications this weekend. I originally only listed 1 handgun, my MPshield, but Ive decided I'm bringing in my Walther PPQ and MP40, also. Might as well have others listed just in case right? Or at least until I get my hands on a G43.
I tested this weekend and added my GP100, so I'd have the option to carry it in a backpack or large purse. :-)
Old 09-19-2017, 3:57 PM

Just in passing, don't tell ANYONE that you carry, are carrying, or might carry. Except maybe your SO, who already knows.

More than one person, here in the Women's Forum, has been outed by a friend. While waiting for a table in a restaurant, girlfriend says, loudly, "Oh, wow, you're carrying today ! Which one do you have ?". The gun owner, who up until then was properly concealed, was confronted by the restaurant manager and asked to leave.

No one needs to know that you carry, and if you're doing it right, no one will know it. This is your private business, so keep it private. That would be the point of "concealment".
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 09-19-2017 at 4:00 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 4:16 PM

My wife carries an LC9 and consistently shoots 3" groups out to 15 yards.
Old 09-19-2017, 4:17 PM

Glad to see the ladies discussng armed self defense choices. Stay safe!
Old 09-19-2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
While waiting for a table in a restaurant, girlfriend says, loudly, "Oh, wow, you're carrying today ! Which one do you have ?". The gun owner, who up until then was properly concealed, was confronted by the restaurant manager and asked to leave.
If things were properly concealed why did the girlfriend say "Oh, wow, you're carrying today ! Which one do you have ?" ??
Old 09-19-2017, 6:03 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

another female calgunner blabbed to all her friends about having her CCW. one day she was out with a friend who knew she had a conceal carry license and knew where she carried it because said female calgunner had blabbed about that also to one and all. on this particular day said "friend" thought it was funny to reach around the female calgunner and pull the pistol out. hard lesson learned for the female calgunner.

she needed to keep her mouth shut and she needed a better set of friends. complaining on calguns did not get her a lot of sympathy.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 09-19-2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
another female calgunner blabbed to all her friends about having her CCW. one day she was out with a friend who knew she had a conceal carry license and knew where she carried it because said female calgunner had blabbed about that also to one and all. on this particular day said "friend" thought it was funny to reach around the female calgunner and pull the pistol out. hard lesson learned for the female calgunner.

she needed to keep her mouth shut and she needed a better set of friends. complaining on calguns did not get her a lot of sympathy.
A real friend would not do such a thing.

I have friends that know I carry, some that assume I carry (based on business), and some that have no clue.
The ones that know, also carry for the most part.
Old 09-19-2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Just in passing, don't tell ANYONE that you carry, are carrying, or might carry. Except maybe your SO, who already knows.

More than one person, here in the Women's Forum, has been outed by a friend. While waiting for a table in a restaurant, girlfriend says, loudly, "Oh, wow, you're carrying today ! Which one do you have ?". The gun owner, who up until then was properly concealed, was confronted by the restaurant manager and asked to leave.

No one needs to know that you carry, and if you're doing it right, no one will know it. This is your private business, so keep it private. That would be the point of "concealment".
I agree only to an extent.
Absolutely and without a doubt, you have to be smart in how, when, and who you tell. It is definitely a need to know piece of information.

I disagree with the extremes of never telling anyone.
Part of being a safe and conscientious armed citizen is to have a plan. When out with a group, it may be there's one trusted friend in the group who knows the plan to usher the rest to safety and call 911. They know you are armed so they can anticipate your response & relay that information to the 911 operator.

There's a big difference between sharing indiscriminately with the world, and making sure YOUR world is safe with the knowledge that you carry. You can carry concealed, while having trusted friends in the know.
Old 09-22-2017, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagal View Post
I'm still waiting for approval, so still have some time to figure things out.

So far, I plan to carry the following because overall, size is comparable, I shoot all well, heard its best to have similar type (striker vs DA/SA, no external safety):

XDs 3.3 9m - Good fit in my hand, nice trigger, easy to shoot
Glock 43 - same as XDs, a bit smaller, light, I like the trigger
shield9 - my least favorite option, almost too narrow for hand, LCI blocks tricon night sights, everything is still stiff & tight 1000 rounds later. I don't really like the trigger, bites my finger. I do have an off roster shield9 with the apex trigger, it's a HUGE difference, super nice, but it's my understanding trigger jobs aren't allowed in California. But, I force myself to train with the shield, damn it, I will overcome!

I also have a glock 19 but it seems sooo big.

I haven't played a whole lot with holsters. I'm not interested in purse carry. I don't wear pants with belts except in firearm classes. I've trained with an OWB & IWB kidex holster, and I have a PT-2 pistol wear deep concealment holster...haven't used it much. Oh, I have a sticky holster. I tend to live in tights/yoga pants and jeans. I work from home so don't have to deal with office attire, thank god.

I guess the key to knowing what will really work, is to practice moving (sitting, walking, standing) & drawing from the holsters.

If you have a CCW, what do you carry & why? And how do you carry?

OP, It's a county by county decision on what or what is not allowed. Our county has no concerns pertaining to trigger jobs. Check with your county.
My wife carries a model 60 Lady Smith with a Crimson Trace laser.
Old 09-22-2017, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
please do not consider one of the light weight alloy frames.
a Lady Smith snubby will not be fun to practice with.
consider an all metal LS or other all metal J-frame pistol.

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 60 snubby all metal but it is not a Lady Smith. I went with it as it was just a hair heavier in weight than the LS which meant a bit more absorption of recoil.
fits my hand well as do all the J-frames.

I tried a light weight alloy j-frame and almost did not pick up another pistol.

if you haven't done so already make sure to visit gun stores to handle pistols.
I found though that what fit my hand in the gun shop wasn't always comfortable at the range.
so renting as many pistols as possible is also advised.

Smith and Wesson also made semi-auto Lady Smith and you might find one of those for sale by a private party.

more re LS pistols and J-frames: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_...sson_Ladysmith
Beg to differ-my wife's model 60-14 Lady Smith is all stainless steel.
Old 09-22-2017, 9:51 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagal View Post
I guess the key to knowing what will really work, is to practice moving (sitting, walking, standing) & drawing from the holsters.

If you have a CCW, what do you carry & why? And how do you carry?
My wife's preference is a Glock 42 because it fits in her CCW purse (her primary method of carry) better than her Glock 43. When she on-body carries, she prefers the G43.

And just like for me, you need to try different options to find out what works best. Additionally, if you on-body carry, you need to tailor your wardrobe to mask your style of carry. You are rarely going to find a holster that will allow you to dress as you always have.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Side Note:

Wife just got one of these and loves it. Breathable Neoprene is way more comfy then her other belly band. She says it's great when she wears belt less dress pants, workout (secret PJ's) and sweat pants.

An how can you go wrong, It's less then ten becks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-29-2017, 7:30 AM

I'm new here and have my CCW. I find it extremely hard to conceal a firearm. I have a few holsters and yoga pants that have a gun pocket. It seems I like that (undertech black leggings) the most with my sig p238. Also the Dene Adams coarsest is pretty good. I'll have to do some more reading here and see what works for ladies. Here in Cali most of the places I go don't allow guns. I work in hospital, and on my days off I'm doing kid stuff like dropping off and picking up. One of the only places I can carry is a church! Go figure. Again, I'm not sure how women really carry comfortably, as I've struggled with it. I'm average size, 5'4', 138 lbs, not super thin, and not fat. How do you sit with a normalish holster? When I do the gun pokes down to the bend in my leg or to my crotch. It's confusing and frustrating. Who has the money or time to try all kinds of holsters? The sticky holster is good in a pinch, but I find I have to readjust more than I would like.

Anyway, that's some of my challenges.

Julee

Last edited by jewellofdenial; 09-29-2017 at 7:47 AM..
Old 09-30-2017, 5:46 PM

Have you tried to adjust the ride height/cant of your holster?