Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Any new updates it's been a bit being quiet
Old 02-20-2019, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
Any new updates it's been a bit being quiet
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1400940&page=7

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-22-2019, 1:04 AM

Hi there, I called yesterday to schedule my appointment and was given a mid November date. She chuckled at my reaction and told me they were in the middle of streamlining the process and it would be “sooner than that”. She took down my email address, name and date of birth and also gave me her name. Super professional and very friendly. I work in the real estate field am currently working on my statement of good cause. I’ll most likely attend a SDCGO seminar to get my ducks in a row.
Old 02-22-2019, 4:59 AM

Id like to apply for CCW but dont know exactly how to pinpoint my good cause. My girlfriend has been followed home on two occassions by two different middle aged men trying to establish verbal contact with her (no documentation besides texts), my car has been broken into and stolen (documented but in a different neighborhood 2 years ago), and broken into again (not documented, different neighborhood 1 year ago). Im a 24 y/o full time worker in the health field at a clinic, but feel like self defense wouldnt be enough and since i dont have documentation for most of those incidents, would i still be a good candidate?
Old 02-22-2019, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd408 View Post
Id like to apply for CCW but dont know exactly how to pinpoint my good cause. My girlfriend has been followed home on two occassions...
I'd suggest being careful about how you phrase the girlfriend incident. I don't think they will consider your desire to protect another adult as good cause for YOU to get a permit unless you can emphasize how this represents heightened danger for YOU. I would also avoid the suggestion that if she feels threatened, she is going to call you and you are going to rush to the scene with your gun.

Just my $.02.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 02-22-2019, 7:42 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Id like to apply for CCW but dont know exactly how to pinpoint my good cause. My girlfriend has been followed home on two occassions by two different middle aged men trying to establish verbal contact with her (no documentation besides texts), my car has been broken into and stolen (documented but in a different neighborhood 2 years ago), and broken into again (not documented, different neighborhood 1 year ago). Im a 24 y/o full time worker in the health field at a clinic, but feel like self defense wouldnt be enough and since i dont have documentation for most of those incidents, would i still be a good candidate?
I don't believe any of the above would qualify as eligible good cause. Take a look at the page at the link below on the SD County Gun Owners site to get an idea of possible good causes. Most are similar to what it's always been like, but things seemed to have loosened up which is good news.

You should also attend one of their CCW seminars to get a better idea how to craft a good cause.

https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 02-22-2019, 8:48 AM

Quote:
I would focus more on your job at the clinic. Find news articles showing medical workers attacked or threatened as an access to drugs. something like, I work with access to lots of pharmaceuticals and could be targeted by people wanting to take advantage of that.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Ahh i see. So the gf situation would be good if she wanted to apply, not so much for me. And i actually work in physical therapy rather than any kind of pharm clinic. So i feel that it doesnt really apply the same way for me. Granted that there have been some random beligerent/drunk/mentally ill people walk into the clinic yelling and/or asking for things a couple times in the past. I do not think/know if my employer would enjoy a call asking about me and my application for a CCW though. And all those incidents are also undocumented.

Ive seen the SDCGO site before but i guess i personally dont have any strong documented cases that would apply to me besides maybe walks/hikes and the incidents listed previously.

Edit2: “Good cause could include, but is not limited to, verifiable documented instances of threats to the personal
safety of the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Threats to personal safety may be verbal or demonstrated through actual harm committed in the place of work, neighborhood or regular routes of travel for business. The applicant should articulate the threat as it applies personally to the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Non-specific, general concerns about personal safety are insufficient.”
This wouldnt work for the gf incident in our neighborhood?

Last edited by sd408; 02-22-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Ahh i see. So the gf situation would be good if she wanted to apply, not so much for me. And i actually work in physical therapy rather than any kind of pharm clinic. So i feel that it doesnt really apply the same way for me. Granted that there have been some random beligerent/drunk/mentally ill people walk into the clinic yelling and/or asking for things a couple times in the past. I do not think/know if my employer would enjoy a call asking about me and my application for a CCW though. And all those incidents are also undocumented.
Next time there is an incident, call the cops, get a copy of the police report, then present report as good cause. Say you are worried there are mentally ill hanging around and that you are concerned they may recognize, follow and or attack you when you leave work.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Next time there is an incident, call the cops, get a copy of the police report, then present report as good cause. Say you are worried there are mentally ill hanging around and that you are concerned they may recognize, follow and or attack you when you leave work.
I would do so but my boss/superiors will probably say not to call the cops. In that case, not sure what my options would be.
Old 02-22-2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
I would do so but my boss/superiors will probably say not to call the cops. In that case, not sure what my options would be.
You could explain that if anyone were to be hurt inside or right outside the clinic and your staff didn't call the cops, you might be liable in a lawsuit. That might change your boss's mind.

Also, it might be the only way to get those people help. I knew a guy that didn't want to take his meds and he was unable to work or take care of himself. He threatened me one day and gave me an opportunity to call the cops to get him forcefully admitted to an institution so that they could get him sane again. He is now a functioning member of society and still a good friend.

Old 02-22-2019, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh i see. So the gf situation would be good if she wanted to apply, not so much for me. ...

Edit2: “Good cause could include, but is not limited to, verifiable documented instances of threats to the personal
safety of the applicant, his or her family
, or employees. Threats to personal safety may be verbal or demonstrated through actual harm committed in the place of work, neighborhood or regular routes of travel for business. The applicant should articulate the threat as it applies personally to the applicant, his or her family, or employees. Non-specific, general concerns about personal safety are insufficient.”
This wouldnt work for the gf incident in our neighborhood?
Did she tell them to go away/leave her alone and they refused?

Did those guys threaten her?

How did they text her if she didn't give them her number??? If those are just her texts to you, what evidence do you have to show those texts aren't just made up?

For your consideration. SD is light green, not yellow, so should be easier still. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

Best info/intel is San Diego Co Gun Owners, as posted above.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-22-2019, 9:21 PM

Once she noticed them following her, she tried to avoid pulling up to our house directly and went to the end of our court. He blocked off the opening to the end of our court with his car, rolled down his window and started shouting at her. She asked why he followed her, and he just kept aggressively talking to her. Another car/neighbor pulled up behind him so he had to move and my girlfriend left our court until she felt safe that she wasnt being followed anymore.

By texts, i meant that she texted me and our house chat saying that some middle aged man followed her home and confronted her after blocking her in at the end of our court. This was beginning of this year. I got my first handgun 12 days later.

Im assuming he didnt directly threat her about doing *actions* to her but he was definitely mad at her.
Old 03-04-2019, 7:10 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfarmer View Post
Set my first appointment today. March 26th, 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had first interview over the phone March 2nd(first interview used to be completed in person), few weeks earlier I was called by Dept to move up 2nd appointment 3 weeks to today. Was March 26 they rescheduled for today March 4. Went in today and went over Good cause with clerk and turned in app. She said a denial will be done by mail, an approval with be sent via email. She also said I will hear from them in 60-90days. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-04-2019, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfarmer View Post
Had first interview over the phone March 2nd(first interview used to be completed in person), few weeks earlier I was called by Dept to move up 2nd appointment 3 weeks to today. Was March 26 they rescheduled for today March 4. Went in today and went over Good cause with clerk and turned in app. She said a denial will be done by mail, an approval with be sent via email. She also said I will hear from them in 60-90days. Fingers crossed.

They are definitely changing the way they do some things then.
Interesting.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 03-05-2019, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
They are definitely changing the way they do some things then.

Interesting.

Yes they are actively trying to speed up the process. At a SDCGO seminar I attended they informed us they have recommended the electronic online system that Orange county uses to process CCW. I asked the clerk she confirmed they are looking at a few platforms from different counties.

Old 03-11-2019, 1:09 PM

Approval letter close to 40 days after 2nd interview! YMMV
Old 03-11-2019, 4:24 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejay View Post

Man that is awesome ! Things really sound like they are speeding up ! Congrats !

Last edited by Hogfarmer; 03-16-2019 at 6:48 AM..
Old 03-11-2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejay View Post

That’s great! A lot faster than last year.

Old 03-11-2019, 8:45 PM

Approval letter today, 47 days after second appointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter53e View Post

Congrats - Nice to see they are consistently improving, As mentioned already - it used to be that after the second interview it was typically right at the 90 day time point that the approval notification was received.
Old 03-12-2019, 9:56 AM

I concur. These are the first two I have heard of that did not go within a few days of the 90 day limit. Kudos to SDSO licensing division for improving actual service rather than providing just lip service as most government bureaucracies do.

Let's hope this flows through to increased total throughput and shorter wait times for that initial appointment.

Old 03-13-2019, 3:13 PM

Just had my second interview on March 5th. Does anyone know where I can take the Sheriff approved CCW training course if I get approved in San Diego?
Old 03-13-2019, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

They will provide you with a long list to choose from.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 03-13-2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
They will provide you with a long list to choose from.
Cool, thanks buddy!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Nice I am on 61 days and patiently waiting...
Old 03-15-2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:

Can anyone tell me if that’s business days or calendar days?
Also is everyone still receiving actual approval letters in the mail or emails? (Someone mentioned that they were informed they would be emailing approvals and declining with letters)
Thanks

Last edited by mstmnd; 03-15-2019 at 7:19 PM..
Old 03-15-2019, 8:14 PM

I got both email and paper right before the calendar days expired, but I don't know what the new procedure is.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 PM

47 calendar days and an emailed approval letter.

Old 03-16-2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
I got both email and paper right before the calendar days expired, but I don't know what the new procedure is.
Was this last year?
Old 03-17-2019, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeplorable View Post
Was this last year?
Yes it was last year, after the announcement of the expanded standards and before the "flood" of applications began. When I called to arrange my first appointment, I was able to get one within a week. Ahhh, the good old days.

Old 03-17-2019, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Yes it was last year, after the announcement of the expanded standards and before the "flood" of applications began. When I called to arrange my first appointment, I was able to get one within a week. Ahhh, the good old days.
Long gone!
Old 03-17-2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWWWB View Post
Just had my second interview on March 5th. Does anyone know where I can take the Sheriff approved CCW training course if I get approved in San Diego?
Yeah you get a list of approved places. For me, it was finding one that did weekend classes on a regular basis. Discount Gun Mart had it pretty much every other week, which was nice so I did it through them.
Old 03-17-2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Yeah you get a list of approved places. For me, it was finding one that did weekend classes on a regular basis. Discount Gun Mart had it pretty much every other week, which was nice so I did it through them.
I contacted just about everybody on the list in SD. I will just say that the B.S. is strong with some of them. On the other hand, I found the instructor at DGM to be clear, straightforward, and not all wound up in his own ego. I highly recommend the training there.

Old 03-18-2019, 8:39 AM

Has anyone used terrorism as a good cause? Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 9:22 AM

The current standard focuses on you separating yourself from the "average citizen" and proving your risk is higher. General terrorism risk does not get you there. You would need an argument showing why YOUR terrorism risk is greater than average, and it probably needs to be a risk that carrying a gun would solve such an active mass shooter as opposed to a bomb explosion.

Old 03-18-2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
Has anyone used terrorism as a good cause? Thanks
Just my two cents but doesn’t seem like this separates your dangers from the rest of the populations.
Old 03-18-2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I contacted just about everybody on the list in SD. I will just say that the B.S. is strong with some of them. On the other hand, I found the instructor at DGM to be clear, straightforward, and not all wound up in his own ego. I highly recommend the training there.
Plus 1 for DGM!!!