Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 03-04-2019, 6:44 PM

Default Modern "Poncho Liners" - Anyone With Actual Experience?

I used to use a poncho/poncho liner on 'lightweight' over night sojourns. As I've gotten older, I've started looking for something slightly warmer. I don't necessarily want to haul a 'lightweight sleeping bag.' (Most 'lightweight' alternatives aren't large enough for me to use as anything but a 'blanket' anyway.)

I've come across three, recent incarnations of the "poncho liner" which claim to be superior to the military issue; but, I don't know anyone who has actually used any of them...

Kifaru Woobie/Doobie

Group1Equipment G1 Liner

Wiggy's Poncho Liner with Ties

Any input?
Old 03-04-2019, 6:48 PM
Don't Tread On My Lawn
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I own both the woobie and the doobie.

The worst thing about them is prying them out of your friends hands when packing back up.
Old 03-04-2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
I own both the woobie and the doobie.

The worst thing about them is prying them out of your friends hands when packing back up.
What would be the lowest temperature you'd feel comfortable using them in as your sole or primary sleep system; not simply 'additional warmth?'
Old 03-04-2019, 9:38 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
don't necessarily want to haul a 'lightweight sleeping bag.' (Most 'lightweight' alternatives aren't large enough for me to use as anything but a 'blanket' anyway.)
I'm bigger than you, and modern lightweight sleep systems are very lightweight, can be packed down to fit in a shoe, and keep you comfortable down to the 20s. Colder if you go a little bigger and a litter heavier.

Camping quilts are a thing these days, and they work better than bags. Check 'em out.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 PM

I have been very happy with my Kifaru woobie, it’s one of those things you didn’t know you needed until you bought one. Temperature ratings can be very subjective, buying a good pad with a high R value makes a big difference in overall warmth.
Other quilts worth checking out are Enlightened Equipment, Western Mountaineering, and Katabatic. They offer something for any size and temperature you need.

Last edited by Trapper; 03-04-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I'm bigger than you, and modern lightweight sleep systems are very lightweight, can be packed down to fit in a shoe, and keep you comfortable down to the 20s. Colder if you go a little bigger and a litter heavier.

Camping quilts are a thing these days, and they work better than bags. Check 'em out.
Had my wife make a quilt for me. I use it when mountaineering or when I need something small and light. It's 11 ounces, packs down to something about the size of nalgene, and when I wear my clothes, a fresh pair of socks, my jacket, a hat, and sleep on a small pad and/or my rope I'm comfortable down into the high 20's.

Quilts are the way to go.
Old 03-05-2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:

Anything is possible. I don't equate 'lightweight sleeping bag' with 'camping quilts' and I'm not all that familiar with the latter. So...

Based on Trapper's post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper
Other quilts worth checking out are Enlightened Equipment, Western Mountaineering, and Katabatic...
I took a quick look. The woobie/doobie runs $154/$210. The G1 Liner goes for $138 to $186 or a bit more depending on how you choose to build it. The Wiggy's is $88.

Western Mountaineering offers two 'quilts,' the AstraLite and NanoLite, which run approximately $420 and $345 respectively.

Enlightened Equipment seems to have several options, running $185 - $420.

Katabatic offerings seem to run between $270 and $455.

I can see the allure and it's pretty much how I end up using a sleeping bag most of the time. However, that's a notable difference in price tags. (I looked at two of the Katabatic and they claim those two won't be available until late March and mid-April.)

It looks as though I might have to re-evaluate my thought process if those are the best examples of 'camping quilts.' Again, I can see the allure and assume that such quilts are 'superior' to a woobie/doobie in terms of use as a pseudo-'sleeping bag;' i.e., a logical progression from the Big Agnes sleeping bags (no bottom fill, insert sleeping pad into sleeve) from 20 or so years ago. The question is whether that 'superiority' would be sufficient to justify the jump in price.
Old 03-05-2019, 6:34 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
Other quilts worth checking out are Enlightened Equipment, Western Mountaineering, and Katabatic. They offer something for any size and temperature you need.
Not true. They don't make a size for me. I searched and called every company around.

Quote:
Anything is possible. I don't equate 'lightweight sleeping bag' with 'camping quilts' and I'm not all that familiar with the latter. So...

Based on Trapper's post...

I took a quick look. The woobie/doobie runs $154/$210. The G1 Liner goes for $138 to $186 or a bit more depending on how you choose to build it. The Wiggy's is $88.

Western Mountaineering offers two 'quilts,' the AstraLite and NanoLite, which run approximately $420 and $345 respectively.

Enlightened Equipment seems to have several options, running $185 - $420.

Katabatic offerings seem to run between $270 and $455.

I can see the allure and it's pretty much how I end up using a sleeping bag most of the time. However, that's a notable difference in price tags. (I looked at two of the Katabatic and they claim those two won't be available until late March and mid-April.)

It looks as though I might have to re-evaluate my thought process if those are the best examples of 'camping quilts.' Again, I can see the allure and assume that such quilts are 'superior' to a woobie/doobie in terms of use as a pseudo-'sleeping bag;' i.e., a logical progression from the Big Agnes sleeping bags (no bottom fill, insert sleeping pad into sleeve) from 20 or so years ago. The question is whether that 'superiority' would be sufficient to justify the jump in price.
I recently bought a cheapo from Amazon. Paria Quilt, or some such name, the 15 degree one. It's the only one that's even close to long enough for me. (It's still too short, but...nothing fits me). It's not made in America, but it seems to be solidly built and I am very happy with it so far. I haven't made it out on a pack or hunt trip yet, but I used just it and a pair of wool socks and slept outside on a 31 degree night and was perfectly comfortable. Cost me 160 bucks, and is half the packed down size and weight of a sleeping bag. I guess it depends on what you want out of it, and I'm sure there's plenty of Ford/Chevy/Dodge personal bias and preference mixed in too.

The camping quilt thing is a fairly new phenomenon and I don't claim to have all, or any of, the answers. But that Paria 15 degree long one seems to fit the bill for me so far. I'll know more after this falls hunting season.
Old 03-05-2019, 6:36 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

If you're in to podcasts, look up the Hunt Backcountry podcast, where they have one of the guys from Enlightened Equipment on. It's an hour or so of them talking about and explaining all the differences and pros and cons of each.

That's where I became aware of them, and began reading and researching more about them after. Lots of info out there, and I'm sure plenty of BS and marketing too, but I'm very happy with it so far.
Old 03-05-2019, 7:31 PM
Don't Tread On My Lawn
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Smile

Quote:
What would be the lowest temperature you'd feel comfortable using them in as your sole or primary sleep system; not simply 'additional warmth?'
I've used them hammock camping in Julian, 20s with snow/sleet bouncing off the fly. Like Lurch there, I'm the large economy size so I wrap them both up like a burrito.
Old 03-05-2019, 8:15 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Like Lurch there,
*gasp*!!!
Old 03-06-2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
If you're in to podcasts, look up the Hunt Backcountry podcast, where they have one of the guys from Enlightened Equipment on. It's an hour or so of them talking about and explaining all the differences and pros and cons of each.

That's where I became aware of them, and began reading and researching more about them after. Lots of info out there, and I'm sure plenty of BS and marketing too, but I'm very happy with it so far.
Can I assume this is the one you mean?

If so, I'll take a listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM
I've used them hammock camping in Julian, 20s with snow/sleet bouncing off the fly. Like Lurch there, I'm the large economy size so I wrap them both up like a burrito.
That means you used them together in those conditions? What about each individually?

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 03-06-2019 at 5:51 PM..
Old 03-06-2019, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

I have 2 Ziggy's sleeping bag. They work at the rates temperature.

I have not tried their poncho liner.

A cheap option is a regular sleeping bag, unless you want it to tie into the liner.

My local Walmart had these bags on clearence for $5.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...g-Bag/55208731

When you unzip it, it is 66 x 75. The Wiggy liner is 60 x 80.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 03-06-2019, 8:44 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Huh, it must be that one with Katabatic. Could have sworn it was the Enlightened folks. Maybe that was on a different podcast.
I'd give that one a listen though, will fill an hour of drive time at least!
Old 03-15-2019, 7:50 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Trapped, you get a chance to decide on one yet? Curious what you decided on, and how you like it!
Old 03-16-2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Trapped, you get a chance to decide on one yet? Curious what you decided on, and how you like it!
Haven't decided - yet.

I was going to listen to the podcast a little later tonight, after the local news. (Been a very busy week.)

BTW... Another option came out of the research...

Hill People Gear Mountain Serape

I think it might be something trying to do too many things at once. But, it did come up.