Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:49 AM

Default wireless access point

I think I want a wireless access point for home use. I already have DSL, a router, switch (2), print server, and some rooms wired. Access point just plugs into the ethernet and magic happens right?

What brand/options do I want for home use with two or three laptops. Computers are turned off when not used. I may turn the access point off also.

I don't need all bells and whistles, just need to prevent unauthorized access.

Will use for running Pandora radio, and video from another computer to the TV.
Old 11-19-2009, 1:03 PM

Default Wireless Router/Access Point

Quick answer: yes, you can add a WAP (wireless access point) device to an ethernet port.

Longer answer: Most wireless Routers (WIFi router) include several ethernet ports as well as being a WAP, so you replace two device and, in reality, wirless routers are typically the same price or cheaper, than purely WAPs. You can go one step further in eliminating devices and wires: Most companies make a WiFi router with built in DSL modem. eg http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impre...ort/index.html

With WiFi, go for the Wireless-N configuration if range is a consideration.
AND...Configure the WAP security!!

Most devices are straight forward to set up if you already have your DSL running OK.

-cheers
Old 11-19-2009, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Chuck View Post
You can go one step further in eliminating devices and wires: Most companies make a WiFi router with built in DSL modem. eg http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impre...ort/index.html
And they typically suck. Just go get a Linksys or Buffalo wireless router.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-19-2009, 1:29 PM
In Memoriam

Just got a Netgear from newegg. Replaced a wired D-link. $15 bucks, 4 lan ports, wireless works at least 100 feet away, password setup was easy, pretty much plug and play.
Old 11-19-2009, 1:41 PM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Linksys WRT54GL + DD-WRT = WIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 11-19-2009, 2:10 PM

DDWRT is the shiznit, but it would be overkill in this case. I would just go vanilla firmware linksys, probably a WRT-160.

What you would probably do is replace the wired router with the wireless one and move the PPOE information for your DSL connection over to the new wireless router.
Old 11-19-2009, 2:11 PM

about security: WPA2 TKIP with a strong passphrase if your devices support it, otherwise WPA TKIP.
Old 11-19-2009, 2:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonico View Post
DDWRT is the shiznit, but it would be overkill in this case. I would just go vanilla firmware linksys, probably a WRT-160.

What you would probably do is replace the wired router with the wireless one and move the PPOE information for your DSL connection over to the new wireless router.
Providers still use PPPoE?

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-19-2009, 4:09 PM

Yep, every single ATT DSL I've worked on is PPPOE, e-mail address and password logins.

The PPPOE info is either set in the modem (newer modems) or much more commonly in the router (older modems) or in either.
Old 11-19-2009, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash View Post
Linksys WRT54GL + DD-WRT = WIN
The DD-WRT makes a rather plain "G" router into something pretty spectacular, IMO. However, it's a bit daunting to begin with, because if you don't follow the steps correctly, you "brick" the router. Get a wireless N compatible model. Then, as you acquire newer notebook/laptop computers, they'll work with it and be able to use the higher connection speeds (which will still be faster than your DSL speed). The higher speeds will allow for faster file transfers through your network... which you'll appreciate if you start using one of your computers as a file server...
Old 11-19-2009, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
The DD-WRT makes a rather plain "G" router into something pretty spectacular, IMO. However, it's a bit daunting to begin with, because if you don't follow the steps correctly, you "brick" the router. Get a wireless N compatible model. Then, as you acquire newer notebook/laptop computers, they'll work with it and be able to use the higher connection speeds (which will still be faster than your DSL speed). The higher speeds will allow for faster file transfers through your network... which you'll appreciate if you start using one of your computers as a file server...
Its hard to brick the router, all you do is upload the new firmware. And even if you brick one it takes a minute to unbrick.

Old 11-19-2009, 5:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

It is cheaper to get one "preflashed" on Fleebay. Just search "dd-wrt". The router around here was $60-70 by itself, I ordered one from Fleebay for $50 delivered.
It really is better. My wifi enabled cellphone would crash my netgear and my dlink. My new DD-WRT Linksys has worked flawlessly from day one.
Old 11-19-2009, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

I've read of a few bricked routers that needed a bit of surgery to revive them... that takes a little longer than 1 min... However, if you have the right firmware for the router... the upgrade goes VERY smoothly. I'm not that router savvy... but I got mine up and running pretty quickly on the DD-WRT firmware. My router never did get bricked, but I've had to reset it and redo the firmware upload once or twice.

Mostly, I'm just advocating some caution. If the wiki says that the router is compatible and you follow the directions... it all should go just fine.

For the OP: do a search for the router model you're looking at and "DD-WRT" and you'll see stuff that tells you whether or not the router is compatible with the firmware and which version will (and won't) work.
Old 11-19-2009, 6:41 PM
Internet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonico View Post

Not really. Put DD-WRT micro on there. The main reason for DD-WRT is it needs fewer reboots than stock firmware...
Quote:
Quote:
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 11-19-2009, 6:42 PM
Internet Dictator

Quote:
That's why I go with the WRT54GL: it's specifically designed to be compatible with the likes of DD-WRT. Just use the build in firmware upgrade function and bingo!

Use the "micro" version, and it'll make it a smaller, simpler version.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2009, 7:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I've read of a few bricked routers that needed a bit of surgery to revive them... that takes a little longer than 1 min...
All you have to do is make sure boot_wait is enabled before you attempt to flash. If it fails you can push a firmware image to it with tftp. Takes literally seconds.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM

I may go with the wap54g. I want to locate the wireless in a central location to maximize coverage. The dsl and router are in the garage close to the phone box. Any other options?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf View Post
I may go with the wap54g. I want to locate the wireless in a central location to maximize coverage. The dsl and router are in the garage close to the phone box. Any other options?
Yes, you can locate the WAP54g in a central location without moving your current equipment. Connect it to a current or new ethernet cable connection from the existing router.

The only sticky point is configuration: The WAP54g default ip address is 192.168.1.245. The WAP should be in the same subnet as your router , so, for example if your router is 192.168.2.xxx, you need to connect the WAP directly to your PC and change the 3rd octet in its address to match. eg. 192.168.2.245

Last edited by MR2Chuck; 11-20-2009 at 2:17 PM..
Old 11-21-2009, 2:10 PM

Quote:
The only sticky point is configuration: The WAP54g default ip address is 192.168.1.245. The WAP should be in the same subnet as your router , so, for example if your router is 192.168.2.xxx, you need to connect the WAP directly to your PC and change the 3rd octet in its address to match. eg. 192.168.2.245
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

This configuration change will allow two routers on the same network.
Old 11-21-2009, 3:24 PM

wireless router for indoor works well-we run 4 laptops in my house all wireless and with the cradlepoint wireless router we have it keeps up nicely and is pretty secure..