Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-11-2018, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Any suggestions on Stage Planning?

Belated Happy New Years to fellow competitors...!

Any suggestions on how to improve stage planning? How do you go about planning a stage? Especially when you are FIRST in the line of shooters? (Hahaha)

Basically, I started with USPSA in late August and had had two club matches under my belt before a 3-months' absence due to other priorities. I came back to Prado for the first match of 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjQ5D9nbmDQ

And was luck would have it - I was first in the line of shooters. With the first COF (stage #2) was confusing as hell with lots of targets (with most of them partially hidden) did not help... More so, I don't know much about "stage planning" (I usually "copy" the shooters before me).

Tried to plan my run as much as possible, but once the buzzer beeps - all is lost to the wind! I shot a USPSA course of fire IDPA-style (slide lock reloads).

At least I got to enjoy my first TEXAS STAR!!! (Dang that last plate!!!)

On the side, if I could have saved a second more, it would have been a B-class HF in the Classifier "Down the Middle" as I had to adjust my grip from draw, and there was a slight hesitation when I lost my sight picture on the third target). Oh well, still have two more to "make up."

Anyways - maybe a good start to the year!

Cheers,

_

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM

Great job on diagnosing the IDPA-style slide lock reloads. Being able to separate the rules between the two should yield some easy dividends.

It's all about efficiency. Avoid extra movements wherever possible.

Stage planning is something that takes time and practice to develop. For the most of us, we have to make due with shooting matches. If you're lucky and have access to the range and some targets, try setting up some stages. Another thing you can do is re-walk each stage after the match and think of things you would do differently. This is dependent on both your free time and the teardown procedure for your club (ex., my USPSA club tends to keep stages up after the match. They do this to make it a bit easier to setup for the ICORE match the following week).

We've all been there (I know that I still trainwreck on memory stages). You just have to beat that stage plan into your brain--easier said than done, especially when you're first up. When I first started I found that cutting any extra chit chat with the squad while waiting (regardless of when I'm up) helped me retain the plan. That was all I was thinking about. I didn't really care if someone else had a smoking run or a trainwreck run.

When I'm taping/resetting the stage I quiz myself by looking at the target and ask myself "Where am I taking this target from?" then look uprange and say something like "I'm hitting this target from that spot along with these other targets".

(NOTE: The next bit occurs during the initial stage planning) Standing next to a target downrange and looking at the shooting area can sometimes reveal options that you hadn't thought about. I probably wouldn't do this for every single target on the stage. Just the tough ones.

I always get to the range early since I help with setup. Even if you aren't part of the setup crew (which I would actually highly recommend helping with setup), it would behoove you to get to the range early and walk the stages over and over and over.

Some things that I consider during stage planning (I'm just a B Class Production shooter)
  • Read the descriptions and be able to account for every target and every required shot
  • Shooting Positions
    Where am I starting
    Where am I going (along with entries/exits, leaning shots, port shots (high/low))
    Where am I ending (when I'm at my last position, I should be absolutely certain that I have accounted for all other targets. Otherwise it wouldn't be last position LOL).
  • Dead or Quiet Time (Movement and Reloads)
  • Extra Shots that might (but in reality shouldn't) happen. I wouldn't spend too much of your stage planning time on this, but it is something that happens. This is often some piece of steel or a far away partial/hardcover. Best case scenario: no make up shot needed/taken. Worst case scenario: a make up shot is required. In the worst case scenario, how badly will this affect the rest of the stage? It can range from "oh great I just added 0.xx seconds to my stage" to "holy smokes, I have to do a standing reload where I wasn't thinking of reloading at all". As you progress, you'll get to a point where even the worst case scenario is something that you subconsciously know how to deal with even if it hits you in the middle of your run.
  • Can I shoot on the move? That's a tough one that you'll have to gauge. You can practice it in dryfire, of course.
  • Will I have a "second chance" at the target a bit further down if the "Worst Case Scenario" of a slide lock occurs? That's going to vary from stage to stage.

One saying that I've heard is "Learn to love the buzzer, not fear it". It serves as a positive release of what I'm capable of executing--as opposed to a condemnation of the plan. It's part of the mental aspect of the game.

With respect to your walkthrough on stage 2, did you converse with anyone else about your plan? This can go either way. Since you noted that you're still adjusting to USPSA it would help to compare notes/plans with other Production/SS Minor/L-10 shooters. They run the same capacity and will probably have a similar plan.

Of course, some of the best stages are the ones that offer options that allow a shooter to leverage a particular strength. This could result in different shooters telling you different plans. Therein lies the danger. If you keep hearing multiple plans that differ from yours, you run the risk of going completely blank at the buzzer.

Stick with your plan once you have decided on it. If you see someone before you shoot a particular way that you hadn't thought of . . . it's advisable to just stick with what you were going to do.

Stage 2
The target you had to return to could have been taken on your first position before you went to the far left array (you can see that target at around 0:18). It's a tougher shot, but still doable--after all, you did hit that Texas Star around 9 o'clock next with a no-shoot to the left (not too shabby).

Stage 5
The best advice for steel (be it steel challenge or USPSA) is "Go 1 for 1". It looks like you were "pulling off" (i.e., trying to transition out of) the first steel on shot 2. That strikes me as a shot calling issue coupled with the eagerness to get to the next target--I have that issue, too. You were a bit more deliberate after that and went 1 for 1. The extra moment of confirmation is far quicker than the "miss, process that you missed, decide to go back or continue to next steel" cycle.

Not bad on the star. I would say that was a pretty gutsy to engage at the 9 o'clock due to the no-shoots. But it looks like you have the basic concept. One adjustment would be to work on trapping that last target better. Take note of the pauses on each swing (like a pendulum). You were a hair too late on those misses on the final plate.

@1:28 you were hesitant to take that first shot on the hardcover target. Perhaps in situations like this (i.e., a mix of Hardcover and Open targets in a closely spaced array), consider taking the open target while entering your shooting position. There's more target available and by the time you have finished engaging it, you will likely have stopped moving into position (i.e., you will have stabilized).
@1:38 - Keep your gun up and on the next target while entering the position/box. That's a general recommendation. You're bleeding time by running, setting your feet, and then acquiring the site picture.

Classifier CM 12-02
Time 6.91 Seconds
A: 8
HF: 5.7887
C Class run at 43.74% (<<<<that's the classification% vs. the stage %)

Targets range from 5 yards to 13 yards. There is that danger of a Miss on a Virginia Count Classifier. Fortunately, you can learn a lot about appropriate sight pictures for various distances in practice. It might surprise you to see how fast you can engage a target at 3, 5, 7, 10 yards and still get decent hits.

You can also touch up your draw in practice.

Your transition from your 2nd shot to the next target is good in the sense that you don't appear to be "waiting around" before moving the gun. But it looks like you lost some time re-acquiring an appropriate sight picture.

Stage 4
@2:11 - Definitely an opportunity to reload while moving before entering the next position
@2:20 - It looks like you forgot the second shot due to the slide lock reload.
@2:42 - Be more confident getting into your next position. You looked down to determine how much you could shuffle/sidestep.

General Guidance
Figure out what is causing your Deltas and Mikes (were the Mikes in hardcover? Were they off the target?) and address this in practice.

There were a couple of instances where you seem to look towards your magazines while reloading. Try to keep your eyes up and on target especially if you have to reload from slide lock.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2018, 1:41 PM

I'll keep mine brief. A good stage plan has as little movement as possible while shooting the targets at as close a range as possible (unless you are using an optic and then movement minimization is more important). If there is an opportunity to shoot a target at a closer range it normally makes sense to go to that spot when shooting iron sites. I did a class with Ben Stoeger and he had the class time two different runs. One where he moved from point A to point B on the stage at about a 45 degree angle taking some longer shots. He then ran the stage where he moved more along the fault lines of the stage and took the shots at a closer range. The times were virtually identical and the shots at the closer range were much easier. An easier shot is usually a faster shot so you can often make up for the extra movement time to get there.

Reload planning is critical in Production and the other low round count divisions. This is one of the most important elements of your stage planning. Drop an almost full mag if you need to do so to ensure you have enough rounds for an area where you will need a full mag to engage all of the targets from a small shooting area. Standing reloads are the enemy as they waste at least one second of stage time.
Old 01-11-2018, 3:03 PM

Ask to go first on every stage, for the next 5 matches you go to. I doubt anyone in your squad will have a problem with that. You will figure it out doing it like that, doing it for yourself rather than copying someone. Seriously.

1. Be in a type of mindset to focus! Be in charge of your thoughts and attention. Stage planning is not the time to wander or chit chat if it is difficult for you. Be entirely, mentally present in the here and now.

2. Read the stage briefing. Know how many targets you should be expecting and the start position.

3. Find targets that absolutely require them to be shot from only one place.

4. Group targets how you want. Just because things are next to each other sometimes does not mean that it is ideal. In other words make target arrays how you want, for your shooting.

5. Fewer steps is often better. If you can eliminate a position or a reload it's probably a good thing.

6. Realize that no matter what else you see people doing, do your thing. Do the simplest plan for you! Execution of your plan is more important than the plan itself. (Barring you having a really retarded plan)

7. On deck is not the time to hand out your phone, listen to times and scores of others. It is time for you to be visualizing doing what you want, absolutely perfectly.

8. Your body believes what your mind tells it. There is not need to do walk throughs at match speed for you "to see what it will be like". That comes from a position of inexperience and lack of confidence. Figure that stuff out in practice, the match is for doing! Not "trying".

9. Stop thinking of stage planning as a checklist to be done while you're on the clock. That's too many things to think about and to clunky. If you're actively thinking while shooting you did not do enough ahead of time to make as much of your run subconscious/automatic. You will do best when you are not "in your head". (it's like driving down the freeway looking 1 foot in front of the car. that's dumb. you need to be visually ahead of things as much as possibly. while in the stage you should be mentally ahead of everything.)

10. Finally, don't make decisions out of fear. If you fear a miss or a bobble or whatever and you let that fear make a decision for you then you're making a less than ideal decision. Make decisions from confidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, when you say "get better at stage planning", what exactly do you mean? What event or thought is triggering you to feel like you are doing something wrong or unproductive? Answer that question and then you can really start to get meaningful answers.
Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work and either accept it OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
USPSA TY82278
IDPA A54426

Last edited by rmatt; 01-11-2018 at 3:14 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 6:11 PM

Shoot as many matches as possible and your stage plans will become second nature to you.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 01-15-2018, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

First of all, I would like to say thanks to all that had replied. This is a very informative thread, at least for me, that I'm going to permlink it in my bookmarks!

That said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez805 View Post
It's all about efficiency. Avoid extra movements wherever possible.
But would I know that each movement is efficient or not? Ben Stoeger's books, for example, have lots of drills geared for competitive shooting. But nothing has been explained how to make each movement efficient. If someone has some recommended materials, please advise?

Quote:
We've all been there (I know that I still trainwreck on memory stages). You just have to beat that stage plan into your brain--easier said than done, especially when you're first up. When I first started I found that cutting any extra chit chat with the squad while waiting (regardless of when I'm up) helped me retain the plan. That was all I was thinking about. I didn't really care if someone else had a smoking run or a trainwreck run.
Hhhhmmm... I think that is what I'm going to try doing first.

When I'm in a USPSA match, it's mostly with friends. Lots of banter, etc. But when I'm in an IDPA match, I'm usually around "more serious" people.

Quote:
When I'm taping/resetting the stage I quiz myself by looking at the target and ask myself "Where am I taking this target from?" then look uprange and say something like "I'm hitting this target from that spot along with these other targets".
It would be nice if each squad stick to common protocol, ie., for bigger squads, you've got LOTS of people helping to tape up before the shooter can actually see his/her hits (for self-diagnosis). Personally, I wouldn't want to slow down a stage; but then, seeing one's hits is a cruical learning step. Hhhmmm...

Quote:
(NOTE: The next bit occurs during the initial stage planning) Standing next to a target downrange and looking at the shooting area can sometimes reveal options that you hadn't thought about. I probably wouldn't do this for every single target on the stage. Just the tough ones.
Aaaahhhh! That is a good one... I'll try that next time! In my recent match, the target that I had to come back for would be a good candidate for that approach.

Quote:
Some things that I consider during stage planning (I'm just a B Class Production shooter)
  • Read the descriptions and be able to account for every target and every required shot
  • Shooting Positions
    Where am I starting
    Where am I going (along with entries/exits, leaning shots, port shots (high/low))
    Where am I ending (when I'm at my last position, I should be absolutely certain that I have accounted for all other targets. Otherwise it wouldn't be last position LOL).
  • Dead or Quiet Time (Movement and Reloads)
  • Extra Shots that might (but in reality shouldn't) happen. I wouldn't spend too much of your stage planning time on this, but it is something that happens. This is often some piece of steel or a far away partial/hardcover. Best case scenario: no make up shot needed/taken. Worst case scenario: a make up shot is required. In the worst case scenario, how badly will this affect the rest of the stage? It can range from "oh great I just added 0.xx seconds to my stage" to "holy smokes, I have to do a standing reload where I wasn't thinking of reloading at all". As you progress, you'll get to a point where even the worst case scenario is something that you subconsciously know how to deal with even if it hits you in the middle of your run.
  • Can I shoot on the move? That's a tough one that you'll have to gauge. You can practice it in dryfire, of course.
  • Will I have a "second chance" at the target a bit further down if the "Worst Case Scenario" of a slide lock occurs? That's going to vary from stage to stage.
Tips NOTED!!

Quote:
With respect to your walkthrough on stage 2, did you converse with anyone else about your plan? This can go either way. Since you noted that you're still adjusting to USPSA it would help to compare notes/plans with other Production/SS Minor/L-10 shooters. They run the same capacity and will probably have a similar plan.
That was the problem with Stage #2 - everyone was confused and were unclear on how to proceed! Many actually missed/forgotten targets. I'd definitely say it was a complicated stage. It was just "unfortunate" to be the guinea pig for my squad on this one. Hahaha!!!

Quote:
Stage 2
The target you had to return to could have been taken on your first position before you went to the far left array (you can see that target at around 0:18). It's a tougher shot, but still doable--after all, you did hit that Texas Star around 9 o'clock next with a no-shoot to the left (not too shabby).
You are absolutely right! That WAS the plan...

Quote:
Stage 5
The best advice for steel (be it steel challenge or USPSA) is "Go 1 for 1". It looks like you were "pulling off" (i.e., trying to transition out of) the first steel on shot 2. That strikes me as a shot calling issue coupled with the eagerness to get to the next target--I have that issue, too. You were a bit more deliberate after that and went 1 for 1. The extra moment of confirmation is far quicker than the "miss, process that you missed, decide to go back or continue to next steel" cycle.
Yeah - I was gunning for speed! I think I just pushed myself too fast on that first shot. (I just have confidence steel plates - my fastest on the 10-yard rack is 3.88-seconds)

Quote:
Not bad on the star. I would say that was a pretty gutsy to engage at the 9 o'clock due to the no-shoots. But it looks like you have the basic concept. One adjustment would be to work on trapping that last target better. Take note of the pauses on each swing (like a pendulum). You were a hair too late on those misses on the final plate.
I would think I was just lucky on the initial shots of the plate. Just felt that "hey, they're not moving! good! I can engage..." And obviously, the last plate, when it was already swinging, proved to be a problem.

Quote:
@1:28 you were hesitant to take that first shot on the hardcover target. Perhaps in situations like this (i.e., a mix of Hardcover and Open targets in a closely spaced array), consider taking the open target while entering your shooting position. There's more target available and by the time you have finished engaging it, you will likely have stopped moving into position (i.e., you will have stabilized).
IDPA. Out to In...

Quote:
@1:38 - Keep your gun up and on the next target while entering the position/box. That's a general recommendation. You're bleeding time by running, setting your feet, and then acquiring the site picture.
Noted!

Quote:
Classifier CM 12-02
Time 6.91 Seconds
A: 8
HF: 5.7887
C Class run at 43.74% (<<<<that's the classification% vs. the stage %)

Targets range from 5 yards to 13 yards. There is that danger of a Miss on a Virginia Count Classifier. Fortunately, you can learn a lot about appropriate sight pictures for various distances in practice. It might surprise you to see how fast you can engage a target at 3, 5, 7, 10 yards and still get decent hits.

You can also touch up your draw in practice.

Your transition from your 2nd shot to the next target is good in the sense that you don't appear to be "waiting around" before moving the gun. But it looks like you lost some time re-acquiring an appropriate sight picture.
This stage was actually VERY disappointing for me, as I know I could have done better. My previous Classifier was "Melody Line," and I scored HF of 4.8696 (which placed me as low 'B' in Production). That, too, in a GSSF match - my fastest for engaging 5 targets (5-yards to 25-yards) was a 6-seconds.

Quote:
Stage 4
@2:11 - Definitely an opportunity to reload while moving before entering the next position
@2:20 - It looks like you forgot the second shot due to the slide lock reload.
@2:42 - Be more confident getting into your next position. You looked down to determine how much you could shuffle/sidestep.
Noted!

Quote:
General Guidance
Figure out what is causing your Deltas and Mikes (were the Mikes in hardcover? Were they off the target?) and address this in practice.
I think it's the speed! In my two recent matches, I'm quite accurate with WAY lots of Alphas. But I still rank low overall because I'm TOO SLOW. I got frustrated to the point I'm really pushing it (even in IDPA matches). So far, at the closer ranges, I'm pushing for 0.3 splits.

Quote:
There were a couple of instances where you seem to look towards your magazines while reloading. Try to keep your eyes up and on target especially if you have to reload from slide lock.
Noted! I have just incorporated that in my dry practice - forcing myself to NOT LOOK while reloading.

Quote:
Good luck!
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
Ask to go first on every stage, for the next 5 matches you go to. I doubt anyone in your squad will have a problem with that. You will figure it out doing it like that, doing it for yourself rather than copying someone. Seriously.
Scary thought!!! I will have to try in my next match.

That said, I'm quite unclear on this:

Quote:
4. Group targets how you want. Just because things are next to each other sometimes does not mean that it is ideal. In other words make target arrays how you want, for your shooting.
And was wondering if you could offer an example?

As always, thank you for the tips. They are much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerman View Post
I'll keep mine brief. A good stage plan has as little movement as possible while shooting the targets at as close a range as possible (unless you are using an optic and then movement minimization is more important). If there is an opportunity to shoot a target at a closer range it normally makes sense to go to that spot when shooting iron sites. I did a class with Ben Stoeger and he had the class time two different runs. One where he moved from point A to point B on the stage at about a 45 degree angle taking some longer shots. He then ran the stage where he moved more along the fault lines of the stage and took the shots at a closer range. The times were virtually identical and the shots at the closer range were much easier. An easier shot is usually a faster shot so you can often make up for the extra movement time to get there.
I try to put as much time as possible dry practicing. But as I can only shoot a match once a month; and with no opportunity to live fire as one would do in a match - I'm saying that good instruction/coaching could help very much. I wish I could attend a Ben Stoeger class. I'm still actually trying to plan out a private training with Ron Avery in Utah.

_

Last edited by rodralig; 01-15-2018 at 10:01 AM..
Old 01-15-2018, 1:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

oh hey, i was at that match.

i was part of huge squad 5 that day.

i blew my texas star, first time shooting it and i left 2 up cause i ran outta ammo.

i need to work on... well everything... haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 01-15-2018, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

You will only see a Texas Star in Level 1 matches

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
You will only see a Texas Star in Level 1 matches
that is what the prado matches are. all level 1 matches only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 01-18-2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post

But would I know that each movement is efficient or not? Ben Stoeger's books, for example, have lots of drills geared for competitive shooting. But nothing has been explained how to make each movement efficient. If someone has some recommended materials, please advise?

[snip]
Yeah, that's a very good point. Efficiency is sometimes tough to nail down (at least I know that it's tough for me to come up with something more than a textbook definition). I wouldn't get too caught up at this point on "oh this will save me X amount of time". Just think in generalities as you start out.

Sometimes an example can help. One of the easiest examples involves ports or walls at the left/right edge of a shooting area (or any any obstruction, really)

Consider the first stage in this vid.

Some things that I did that I feel helped in terms of efficiency:

*Shoot while entering the port
*Take a wide stance (more apparent in the left port then the center port)
*Begin moving out of position while engaging the last target in that view (this can be either beginning to move towards the next position or even something as slight as shifting your body weight)

Sidebar: I'll offer a criticism while I'm at it:
When I was on the right edge I still had to shift my torso a bit to engage the array of 3. There was nothing really obstructing my view of them other than the wall. In retrospect, I could have continued moving my torso into position while engaging the lone target next to the barrel.

an inefficient way to engage the center port array:
*Post up and engage the left target
*shuffle feet
*engage middle targets
*shuffle feet
*engage the right targets
*move after (as opposed to during) the final shot or two

The more that you can combine some sort of movement with your shooting/reloading the better.

I often think of this: You'll be doing 3 things
*shooting (including aiming and transitions between targets in an array/view)
*reloading
*moving

The more you can combine moving (ranging from actual walking/running down to adjusting your bodyweight to allow you to exit a position confidently) with the shooting/reloading portion, the better off you'll be.

There's also efficiency in engagement order
This can occur when you have an activator sequence. In stage 5 (around 0:28), I really messed up the engagement order resulting in what felt like an eternity waiting for the activator.

Luckily, the first person on the stage is often asked to "call the activator". This is a great way for you (regardless of when you are up) to gauge the speed of the activator dropping along with any deadtime (thing of a swinger that is partially obstructed or a clamshell).

Keeping the gun up during short movements
This is a good one. In stage 6 you'll see that I engage two arrays on the left while moving a bit. I kept the gun up. It would seem pretty pointless to me to drop the gun down a bit while moving since the movements were short AND I know that there are targets coming up really quickly.
Old 03-07-2018, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Consider the first stage in this vid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post

1. Be in a type of mindset to focus! Be in charge of your thoughts and attention. Stage planning is not the time to wander or chit chat if it is difficult for you. Be entirely, mentally present in the here and now.

<snip>......
Just an UPDATE guys!

A couple of weeks back I got the opportunity to again do some sports shooting. This was during the Deadwood Boys' Night Match 17-Feb. I tried to follow your advice as much as possible. Mindset, focus, stage briefing, walkthroughs, mental rehearsals, etc. And yes - GOING FIRST!

In spite of my first time with DWB, and a couple of hiccups; the match felt really good. My stage "plan" was as smooth as I can expect to be. I managed a 19th place~~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjuNsfJNws

Thanks for the tips!!!

_

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

Last edited by rodralig; 03-07-2018 at 9:17 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
At least I got to enjoy my first TEXAS STAR!!! (Dang that last plate!!!)...
In the case of the plate where there is a long delay in it appearing it is more efficient to take the Mike than spend several seconds trying to shoot it.

Getting to your stage running. Think of the stage as a flow of water. You want to avoid puddles (stops). In just about every shooting position you came to a hard stop and then brought the gun up then moved to the next position and repeated.

You want to be moving all the time, fast between arrays and slow enough to see your sights during the array. And also have your gun up ready to shoot as soon as you see the first target.

I did an experiment a couple of weeks ago where I had access to a stage. I ran like hell between arrays (5 arrays, 29 shots ) but came to a complete stop at each shooting position and shot it in 28 seconds. I WALKED the stage, but never stopping as I was shooting and shot it in 26 seconds. It was eye opening. Scores in those two were about the same but higher hit factor due to faster time when I walked while constantly moving.
Old 03-08-2018, 4:40 PM

Lots of good info posted. I have shot just about 3-4 USPSA matches. Just shot my last one in January and it had been over a year since the time before that due to another newborn. I love shooting uspsa. Just wish I could make every match. I learn something new about it after every match. Always try and find ways to improve my shot placement and overall time. I manage to do pretty well in production whenever I head out. My very first match I was more worried about trying to be fast. After that I realized sometimes getting more A’s wasn’t Loren important than just running through it fast. Now I shoot for at least 70% A zone hits and don’t worry too much about the restaurant of the shots if I’m moving pretty well along the stage and hitting my reloads at the predetermined spot. Although I agree, once the timer goes off most of your planning goes out the window haha.