Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-04-2018, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Unhappy IDPA Nationals - Slots awarded by "points"...?

For this year am planning to try my first nationals, IDPA.

Unfortunately, when I looked up the registration information - the first 200 (of 290) slots are reserved for those who participate in matches above the local/club-level matches; and the remaining 50 are randomly drawn, with 30 left for international shooters. (see attached photo)

http://www.idpa.com/compete/competit...bstripInline-2

Does this make any sense? Why don't they make it FIRST come FIRST serve... Some shooters just don't have the time nor money to go to as many SANCTIONED matches as they want. What is the rationale of IDPA HQ...? *ugh*

For the first time, I am beginning to "see" the reasons why IDPA gets LOTS of "love" (or hate) from shooters of other genres (USPSA, IPSC, 3-Gun, etc.)... Yeah, really love the "slide lock reloads."

Thoughts anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (92.5 KB, 24 views)

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U
Old 03-05-2018, 7:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Excellent! I am thinking about it as well and I only have 4 points and an unfortunate "match bump" up to expert classification where I am far less "competitive" with my peers there.

Quote:
Unfortunately, when I looked up the registration information - the first 200 (of 290) slots are reserved for those who participate in matches above the local/club-level matches; and the remaining 50 are randomly drawn, with 30 left for international shooters. (see attached photo) ]Does this make any sense?
Yes, the nationals are the highest level of competition in IDPA and should be where shooters who are "committed" to IDPA, have spent the year supporting the sport and honing their skills can come and compete. IDPA is a world wide sport and reserving spots for international competitors helps respect those outside the US and helps maintain interest in IDPA world wide. It is also a recognition that IDPA values those outside the US who often go thru many more hoops to be able to own handguns and compete in matches.

Quote:
Why don't they make it FIRST come FIRST serve...
How competitive and challenging would the "nationals" be if it was filled with noncompetitive / inexperienced, lower level first come first serve shooters? If all the first come fist serve shooters push out the very top ranked shooters in the nation? Why dont we let professional and college sports teams just participate in a lotto to get to the bowl games and championships? there is an assumption (maybe wrong) that serious competitors who go to higher tier matches are more competitive.

Quote:
Some shooters just don't have the time nor money to go to as many SANCTIONED matches as they want. What is the rationale of IDPA HQ...? *ugh*
See comment above

Quote:
For the first time, I am beginning to "see" the reasons why IDPA gets LOTS of "love" (or hate) from shooters of other genres (USPSA, IPSC, 3-Gun, etc.)... Yeah, really love the "slide lock reloads."
IDPA requires that you compete in a very tight "box" (pardon the pun)with its rules on equipment and how you must move around the stage solve the problem. It's scenarios are built around the concept of personal defense. as a result, round counts, reloads, use of cover and scenarios are built around that concept. Slide-lock reloads also known as emergency or combat reloads are what real people in real gunfights most commonly experience (look at video of police shootings and military engagements). In a scenario where you assume threats are armed and shooting back, use of cover, slicing the pie, order of engagement and where you do reloads and ammunition management all take that into account.

If you are motivated by simply moving thru a stage as fast as you can shooting as fast as you can with no regard to tactics but simply stage instructions, then IDPA is probably not for you.

IDPA, USPSA, IPSC and 3 gun are all games...IDPA "tries" to force you to think about the things one should think about in an actual gunfight.. but its still a game too and there are many who "game it".

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 03-05-2018 at 8:06 AM..
Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Awesome!!! If you make the trek out to Alabama, you will not be disappointed. Ne sure to allow for ample travel time so you can get situated, visit the range, and mingle.

They slot have always been awarded via points with the most coveted squads being taken up by the most dedicated to the sport. I've seen many people get in randomly with very few points, but you just want get the Sat PM / Sunday AM that everyone wants. You'll probably shoot it all on one day (Thursday, or Friday).

Although I was not very impressed with the majority of the stage designs at last year's Nationals, I have never been disappointed in previous years.

There are four, I repeat 4, sanctioned IDPA matches in California this year (that's the most we've ever had in at least the last decade). There are plenty of opportunities to shoot matches and earn points in 2018!

Last edited by RoundEye; 03-05-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Old 03-05-2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Excellent! I am thinking about it as well and I only have 4 points and an unfortunate "match bump" up to expert classification where I am far less "competitive" with my peers there.

Yes, the nationals are the highest level of competition in IDPA and should be where shooters who are "committed" to IDPA, have spent the year supporting the sport and honing their skills can come and compete. IDPA is a world wide sport and reserving spots for international competitors helps respect those outside the US and helps maintain interest in IDPA world wide. It is also a recognition that IDPA values those outside the US who often go thru many more hoops to be able to own handguns and compete in matches.

How competitive and challenging would the "nationals" be if it was filled with noncompetitive / inexperienced, lower level first come first serve shooters? If all the first come fist serve shooters push out the very top ranked shooters in the nation? Why dont we let professional and college sports teams just participate in a lotto to get to the bowl games and championships? there is an assumption (maybe wrong) that serious competitors who go to higher tier matches are more competitive.

See comment above

IDPA requires that you compete in a very tight "box" (pardon the pun)with its rules on equipment and how you must move around the stage solve the problem. It's scenarios are built around the concept of personal defense. as a result, round counts, reloads, use of cover and scenarios are built around that concept. Slide-lock reloads also known as emergency or combat reloads are what real people in real gunfights most commonly experience (look at video of police shootings and military engagements). In a scenario where you assume threats are armed and shooting back, use of cover, slicing the pie, order of engagement and where you do reloads and ammunition management all take that into account.

If you are motivated by simply moving thru a stage as fast as you can shooting as fast as you can with no regard to tactics but simply stage instructions, then IDPA is probably not for you.

IDPA, USPSA, IPSC and 3 gun are all games...IDPA "tries" to force you to think about the things one should think about in an actual gunfight.. but its still a game too and there are many who "game it".

Thanks for the laughs.
Old 03-05-2018, 8:10 PM
Banned

Quote:

Unfortunately, when I looked up the registration information - the first 200 (of 290) slots are reserved for those who participate in matches above the local/club-level matches; and the remaining 50 are randomly drawn, with 30 left for international shooters. (see attached photo)

http://www.idpa.com/compete/competit...bstripInline-2

Does this make any sense? Why don't they make it FIRST come FIRST serve... Some shooters just don't have the time nor money to go to as many SANCTIONED matches as they want. What is the rationale of IDPA HQ...? *ugh*

Thoughts anyone?

Maybe start planning a little sooner than March of 2018 ??

Save your money so you can attend bigger matches ??

And...why are you blaming the IDPA HQ because you fell short on your goal ??

If you want it, YOU...and only you, need to find the time/money/skills to make it happen.

Because that's what all the other competitors have done....why should it be any different for you ?

_
Old 03-05-2018, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
There are four, I repeat 4, sanctioned IDPA matches in California this year (that's the most we've ever had in at least the last decade). There are plenty of opportunities to shoot matches and earn points in 2018!

Thanks Chad!

Although I will miss the PRADO match this month due to family obligations; I will be attending the Bakersfield match next month. I will be in Squad #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-PISTOLCALIBER View Post
Maybe start planning a little sooner than March of 2018 ??

Save your money so you can attend bigger matches ??

And...why are you blaming the IDPA HQ because you fell short on your goal ??

If you want it, YOU...and only you, need to find the time/money/skills to make it happen.

Because that's what all the other competitors have done....why should it be any different for you ?

_

Whoa!?! Take it easy on the caffeine... Let me see~~
  • I don't think I was blaming IDPA HQ. Reading too much into my inquiry?
  • Maybe I don't want it much, otherwise, I would have planned sooner. Or maybe I felt I wasn't ready, yet. Or maybe I didn't understand all these matches - I guess that is why I was asking in the first place? Or maybe because I just started with firearms in 2016, and my first match just June of last year, that I really don't know much?
  • I don't think it should be any different for me, as I would see from OTHERs (USPSA, 3-Gun, Steel Challenge, etc.), it is mostly "first come, first serve" (and reserve squad for the "super squads"). So, am I not in a position to assume that it would be the same for IDPA? Or, maybe ask the question, "why should it be different for IDPA?"

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

Last edited by rodralig; 03-05-2018 at 8:42 PM..
Old 03-05-2018, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye
...but you just want get the Sat PM / Sunday AM that everyone wants. You'll probably shoot it all on one day (Thursday, or Friday).
How many points does it take to get a weekend spot...I figure I'll have 10
Old 03-05-2018, 9:07 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
How many points does it take to get a weekend spot...I figure I'll have 10
With 10 points you’ll probably get a weekend. I’m trying to remember, but I think 10 points is either the second or third round of squading. There will only be a few, so he rrady like buying concert tickets.
Old 03-05-2018, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Thx. Doing all 4 CA matches, adding AZ and WA...maybe ID or NM