Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-10-2018, 7:59 PM

Default Rimfire Steel Challenge pistol selection

Hi, new to rimfire steel challenge and heard Ruger MK IV would be good and I'm looking to get the Hunter, but would the weight and barrel length be a disadvantage. Or should I look at the 22 45 Light with a 4.5 barrel ?

(I know they don't sell these in CA, and I feel your pain.)

I'm not a real polymer frame fan, but would that be a quicker gun?

I also have a 617 revolver, but man am I slow with that wheel gun.

Any help would be appreciated.

If I had the money and could find a S&W 41 I'd love to go that route... but...
Old 02-10-2018, 8:01 PM

And the Hunter is heavy, so I would suggest Lite over it for certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Luvr View Post
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Where are you shooting Steel Challenge? Is it with the regulation 8 stages?
Old 02-11-2018, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
Hi, new to rimfire steel challenge and heard Ruger MK IV would be good and I'm looking to get the Hunter, but would the weight and barrel length be a disadvantage. Or should I look at the 22 45 Light with a 4.5 barrel ?

(I know they don't sell these in CA, and I feel your pain.)

I'm not a real polymer frame fan, but would that be a quicker gun?

I also have a 617 revolver, but man am I slow with that wheel gun.

Any help would be appreciated.

If I had the money and could find a S&W 41 I'd love to go that route... but...
At 44oz, the hunter model is definitely on the heavier end of the spectrum. That will make it a bit tougher to muscle around. In a game where transition times are crucial for being competitive, it makes a lot of sense to go for the lightest option.
Old 02-11-2018, 7:49 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely look into the 22 45 light.
Buckmark also makes a light version, I think I saw it with a 6" barrel.
Never owned a buckmark.
So would a longer barrel give me a better sight radious or slow me down?

For now the shooting will be more for fun, but hope to compete casually later.
Probably not go with optics yet. Borrowed a friend's red dot and had trouble getting it linked up quickly.
Old 02-11-2018, 9:10 AM

A longer barrel certainly gives you a longer sight radius and can make precise shots easier. I don't know if I would consider it a major determining factor. Traditional steel challenge stages include targets of 10" and 12" circles along with an 18"x24" rectangle. The distances range from 7 yards out to 35 yards. I thinks those shots are very attainable with a 5 1/2" barrel (using the browning buckmark series as a reference)

If you compare the overall weights for something like a pair of similar model buckmarks (except for the barrel length)

URX 7 1/4" Barrel = 30 oz
URX 5 1/2" Barrel = 28 oz

I don't know that 2 oz would slow you down tremendously. I know that there are quite a few 2211's (think of a double-stack 1911 with a 22 conversion kit) that are in the upper 20/lower 30 oz weight range. They're being run by some of the top competitors in the world.

If you happen to be on FB, there is a Rimfire Raceguns Group that has a wealth of knowledgeable shooters and pictures ranging from "my first entry into rimfire competition" to "this one is setup for world domination"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1022804047781221/

Another consideration is the actual front sight post. Many will opt for a fiber optic front sight as opposed to a blackout or "white dot". I suppose that's completely up to you. I shoot production in Steel Challenge and I do find it a bit easier to pick up the fiber optic. And if it gets to be too bright, you can always darken the top with a marker--like a dry erase marker.

Last edited by Rez805; 02-11-2018 at 9:13 AM..
Old 02-15-2018, 9:47 PM

I’m using a 4” bull barrel Ruger MK III with a bunch of Volquartsen stuff it, works great with Auto Match, better with the good stuff...
Old 02-18-2018, 6:18 PM

This my Steel Challenge RFPO Gun.

I’m running a C-more with the 90° mount from Striplin Custom, and the new style thumbrest also from Striplin.

Quote:
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 02-27-2018, 6:34 PM

Default Thumb rest ???

Does the thumb rest help out that much?
I see Striplin makes a new one for the 22/45 mk iv that doesn't need drilling to install.
Thinking about getting one.... are they worth it?

I tried a red dot on my pistol but really wasn't used to it... I was way faster with iron sights.
Maybe it's something I just have to practice with to get the muscle memory going.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
Does the thumb rest help out that much?

I see Striplin makes a new one for the 22/45 mk iv that doesn't need drilling to install.

Thinking about getting one.... are they worth it?

I tried a red dot on my pistol but really wasn't used to it... I was way faster with iron sights.

Maybe it's something I just have to practice with to get the muscle memory going.

The thumb rest helps keep a consistent grip, drive the gun and control the small amount of muzzle rise that makes a red dot bounce. I recommend it very much.

You will be faster with iron until you learn how to shoot the red dot. Once you learn how to draw it consistently to your eye, you will have much faster target acquisition and greater accuracy. It is certainly a go fast tool, but you have to practice with it to get accustomed to it first.

Quote: