Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-02-2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woorick View Post
Hello,

I'm located in Orange County and would like to start learning more about competition shooting. Are there any ranges with classes semi close? Raahauges is closest to me about 40 minutes. Suggestions?
Woorick......most ranges that have USPSA and or IDPA have intro classes. That's all you need for now as long as you're familiar with and can safely handle your gun. Take the intro class, understand the safety rules and go have fun being safe. When you decide if you like it and want to get better, that is the time to take a class from instructors who specialize in these kinds of matches.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 02-02-2018, 6:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-DAG View Post
Professional instruction and a baseline of safety, tactics & tactical shooting gives a strong foundation for a shooter to progress. In my opinion, a high stress competition mindset and ability to perform under pressure lends well to both arenas.
Only a small part of tactical training is applicable to competition - the safe handling part. Even that part is sufficiently different that it doesn't cross over directly. "Tactical training for USPSA" is better than, e.g., "tactical training for bullseye," but not by much.

Just to be clear, I'm not addressing the value of tactical training in general, only the value of tactical training in shooting USPSA.
Old 02-02-2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman View Post
Woorick......most ranges that have USPSA and or IDPA have intro classes. That's all you need for now as long as you're familiar with and can safely handle your gun. Take the intro class, understand the safety rules and go have fun being safe. When you decide if you like it and want to get better, that is the time to take a class from instructors who specialize in these kinds of matches.

Al
Thanks for the advice.

Thank you all for the great advice. I obviously know everyone has an opinion on this. That's the great thing about the calguns community and the reason why I asked the question. Everyone has a different take on, well, everything. So bottom line is that I need to make a decision on how I take my shooting to the next level, given all the advice here. No doubt I strongly want to train and possibly monthly if I can. I'd want to train weekly if I could but that's just not possible for me. I did take a training with ALL SAFE training based in Orange, Ca. The training was at Burro Canyon and I learned alot from that intermediate training. However using my M&P 9c was so difficult. Trying to slam a mag home with a round in the chamber was literally a nightmare.

I do agree on one of the points made with training with competitive shooters. I can definitely see the benefit in such training.

Again thank you guys so much for the info.

Last edited by Kestryll; 02-04-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-03-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

This is another Calgun thread that has gone into the weeds.

To quote a great add campaign "Just Do It". I have never heard a person say "I wish I had waited a little longer to shoot my first competition".

My suggestion is go watch a USPSA (forget IDPA) match, introduce yourself to the Match Director. Tell him your plans. Then watch what people do, pay attention to the flow of the stages, range commands, and general match safety.

Aquire gear, easy way is G17, 5 Mags, Holster, Mag pouches, and a belt. You can use a good leather belt at first, double belts are nice but not a necessary.

The go shoot the match......go slow, be deliberate, and pay attention to safety.

If you like it join USPSA and keep shooting.

One more word of advise, STAY AWAY FROM THE "TACTICAL TIMMYS". They are easy to spot, they always press check before they shoot and check their 6 before holstering.

Last edited by mjmagee67; 02-03-2018 at 10:52 AM..
Old 02-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Sigh... Best of luck to you OP

Edit
One more bit of advice that I guarantee will get you far: Leave your ego at the door.

Last edited by Rez805; 02-03-2018 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: One more bit of advice
Old 02-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing like a sword fight between to boys holding butter knives....Another thread killed by the Calguns brain trust....
Old 02-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Head Janitor

Now that the bickering and nonsense has been removed let's get back to helping the OP.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:37 PM
CGN Contributor

OP, I’m taking the same journey this year. Got my bug trying GSSF and NRA High Powered last year. Joined USPSA over the holidays and started my research into local clubs and matches.

I found a few local clubs and reached out to the Match Directors for information and guidance on next steps.

Safety first ... this is true of any sport. The rest will follow. Individuals vary in their learning methods so you’ll have to find yours.

Best of luck OP, may it be a fun and safe path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
One more word of advise, STAY AWAY FROM THE "TACTICAL TIMMYS". They are easy to spot, they always press check before they shoot and check their 6 before holstering.
They also usually have the slowest times and worst hits on target.
Old 02-06-2018, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerman View Post
They also usually have the slowest times and worst hits on target.
You must be talking about the LEO's and the civilians who wear shooting gloves ... I find that "check your six" thingy to be absolutely ridiculous...

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 02-06-2018, 6:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Press check is not a "tactical Timmy" thing.

Try to load from Barney that wasn't fully inserted and you'll quickly see the value of a quick check to ensure a round is chambered. Personally, I do two checks: one to see the round and another to ensure magazine is properly seated. However, my press check is a simple slingshot from the rear since I have a gas pedal and the front of the slide is not well suited for any manipulation. The magazine check is to try to pull it out.

Checking your six is another story. Unless someone can come up with a meaningful reason, it's on par with tactical gloves.
Old 02-06-2018, 6:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Checking your six is another story. Unless someone can come up with a meaningful reason, it's on par with tactical gloves.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 02-06-2018, 9:04 PM

Wouldn't checking your 6 after every stage, then taking no action after observing a bunch of people with guns behind you develop into a training scar?
Old 02-07-2018, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Press check is not a "tactical Timmy" thing.

Try to load from Barney that wasn't fully inserted and you'll quickly see the value of a quick check to ensure a round is chambered. Personally, I do two checks: one to see the round and another to ensure magazine is properly seated. However, my press check is a simple slingshot from the rear since I have a gas pedal and the front of the slide is not well suited for any manipulation. The magazine check is to try to pull it out.

I hear you. I solve this by inserting a mag with a single round and then checking that mag to make sure the round is gone before putting it back into my pocket. That is a true Barney Mag and is pretty hard to screw up.
Old 02-08-2018, 9:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I hear you. I solve this by inserting a mag with a single round and then checking that mag to make sure the round is gone before putting it back into my pocket. That is a true Barney Mag and is pretty hard to screw up.
That's one way.

I keep Barney in my left thigh pocket, load from it, then insert a fresh magazine from the last pouch. On longer stages, I put Barney into the last pouch (which is now empty after I loaded) instead of the pocket, just in case. For this reason, I keep Barney topped - in case I need to reach for it, it will have 9 rounds (I shoot L10), but it means that something went pretty bad on the stage already...

I've had in the past (once, I believe) both a malfunction and a dropped magazine on one stage. That eliminated 2 magazines. Barney ended up quite handy in that last pouch.

Also, it's easy to keep Barney topped - at the end of the stage I catch the ejected round and put it back into Barney after holstering.
Old 02-08-2018, 6:34 PM

Go to Running Gun IPSC at Rahaauge's. Sign up, tell Jimmy you're a NUG. They have Safariland gear for loan and will hook you up with a good squad. Go shoot, trigger time is everything. Be careful of the BBQ pork skewers, very addicting.
Old 02-08-2018, 9:53 PM

Thank you guys for the advice. I'll be out of time the next few weekends so I'll be trying to make time to head to a idpa event as well as a uspsa event. Whether to participate or not I at least want to check out both.
Old 02-08-2018, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woorick View Post
That's true. But still a good chunk of change. Decisions decisions
That is relatively cheap for the class. You will spend near that much in ammo. 1700 ends in 3 days is a ton of trigger time. Well worth it.
Old 02-09-2018, 7:21 AM

Quote:
That's one way.

I keep Barney in my left thigh pocket, load from it, then insert a fresh magazine from the last pouch. On longer stages, I put Barney into the last pouch (which is now empty after I loaded) instead of the pocket, just in case. For this reason, I keep Barney topped - in case I need to reach for it, it will have 9 rounds (I shoot L10), but it means that something went pretty bad on the stage already...

I've had in the past (once, I believe) both a malfunction and a dropped magazine on one stage. That eliminated 2 magazines. Barney ended up quite handy in that last pouch.

Also, it's easy to keep Barney topped - at the end of the stage I catch the ejected round and put it back into Barney after holstering.
I've seen plenty of people top off with your method. You still need to do a press check to ensure a round is there. The bigger issue I see with this method is people lose track of their mags since you just put a partially loaded mag on your belt and then end up with a mag with fewer rounds that expected on the next stage. I never put anything but full mags on my belt...ever. Seen too many shooters get distracted between stages and watch them crash and burn with partial mags.
Old 02-09-2018, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

You didnt read IVC's post thoroughly, he knows where that mag is every time "on longer stages only".

Quote:
The bigger issue I see with this method is people lose track of their mags since you just put a partially loaded mag on your belt and then end up with a mag with fewer rounds that expected on the next stage.
Quote:
That's one way.

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-09-2018 at 8:52 AM..
Old 02-09-2018, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The bigger issue I see with this method is people lose track of their mags since you just put a partially loaded mag on your belt and then end up with a mag with fewer rounds that expected on the next stage. I never put anything but full mags on my belt...ever. Seen too many shooters get distracted between stages and watch them crash and burn with partial mags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
You didnt read IVC's post thoroughly, he knows where that mag is every time "on longer stages only".
I didn't mention that my base pads are color-coded - Barney is red, the rest are blue.

Also, OCEquestrian is right that it's only for duration of a single stage and only in the last pouch. It's impossible to keep Barney on the belt after topping off the rest of the magazines since I have the same number of pouches as the "blue" magazines, so Barney always goes back to the pocket.

Otherwise, I completely agree and I've seen my share of "oh, I thought it was a full magazine." That's why I also keep a utility bag (similar to those for collecting brass) on my belt in the back. Everything that is picked up from the ground or unloaded goes in the bag, never on the belt. Even the ejected round goes into the back while I holster, then back into the Barney (wherever it is), then Barney goes into pocket. This way, if a magazine is on my belt after "range is clear" it is *always full*.

All of this might look elaborate, but it's quite simple and routine. Color coding is the final visual check...
Old 02-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

That's another reason I shoot Limited. 3 magazines filled to capacity, I use the middle pouch as the "Barney". Load from the last pouch and first one is for the reload. If I have an "oh sh*t" moment like a dropped mag during a reload and have to use the middle pouch having 19 vs 20 in the mag is not going to make a difference as at that point I am not going to need that many rounds.

After the stage the dropped mag gets emptied and not used again during the match and the other two get loaded to capacity once again to be used the next stage.

A lot simpler
Old 02-09-2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
That's another reason I shoot Limited. 3 magazines filled to capacity, I use the middle pouch as the "Barney". Load from the last pouch and first one is for the reload. If I have an "oh sh*t" moment like a dropped mag during a reload and have to use the middle pouch having 19 vs 20 in the mag is not going to make a difference as at that point I am not going to need that many rounds.

After the stage the dropped mag gets emptied and not used again during the match and the other two get loaded to capacity once again to be used the next stage.

A lot simpler
Yeah yeah... for those of us who aren't LEO and choose to obey the law this isn't an option.

Not that I don't want to compete in Limited... I just can't.
Old 02-09-2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Not to get into a pissing match, but I read his post completely and stand by what I said. His later clarification makes my scenario virtually impossible to achieve, but man that is a really complex process. I prefer to keep it a bit more simple since I tend to work as an RO most of the time and often I am crunched for time during a match. Belt = loaded. Barney is one round and is used for initial loading only. I also shoot Production so you have to be careful about where you pull any mags that aren't on your belt. Cargo pockets are OK most of the time, but some ROs could successfully argue that when you pulled the mag it was towards the front of the pocket and past the hip bone. Wouldn't want to do that at a match that mattered.
Old 02-09-2018, 1:55 PM

I use a barney mag with 1 round in it. Shooting single stack .45 with 6 8 rounders on my belt. On most stages I use the last mag to start along with the barney. If a stage is longer with more shooting positions, I'll grab an extra mag to start with so I still have 6 on the belt at the buzzer.
Old 02-09-2018, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not to get into a pissing match, but I read his post completely and stand by what I said. His later clarification makes my scenario virtually impossible to achieve, but man that is a really complex process. I prefer to keep it a bit more simple since I tend to work as an RO most of the time and often I am crunched for time during a match. Belt = loaded. Barney is one round and is used for initial loading only. I also shoot Production so you have to be careful about where you pull any mags that aren't on your belt. Cargo pockets are OK most of the time, but some ROs could successfully argue that when you pulled the mag it was towards the front of the pocket and past the hip bone. Wouldn't want to do that at a match that mattered.
What matches do you RO at? Shooters dont give RO's enough credit IMHO. Not only are you working to make the match happen, your concentration is impacted by the work and you cant "just focus" on your shooting and the sacrifice some level of performance to serve the greater good...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 02-09-2018, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38super View Post
Go to Running Gun IPSC at Rahaauge's. Sign up, tell Jimmy you're a NUG. They have Safariland gear for loan and will hook you up with a good squad. Go shoot, trigger time is everything. Be careful of the BBQ pork skewers, very addicting.
Norco Running Gun is not held at Rahaauge's any more. They moved to Prado Olympic Shooting Park.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM

If you want to try a entry level AR Match try our NRA AR-Match.
We have one coming up on the 17th at Burro. If you want to just come out and spectate thats fine too...
Old 02-12-2018, 7:44 AM

Quote:
What matches do you RO at? Shooters dont give RO's enough credit IMHO. Not only are you working to make the match happen, your concentration is impacted by the work and you cant "just focus" on your shooting and the sacrifice some level of performance to serve the greater good...
I am in Norcal. I work the hardest at NCPS since it is my "home" club although it is over an hour away from me.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah yeah... for those of us who aren't LEO and choose to obey the law this isn't an option.

Not that I don't want to compete in Limited... I just can't.
Well, until the stay on the standard capacity mag ban is turned over it is not illegal to possess standard capacity mags.

Once that is done we'll all be shooting L10 in CA.