Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-17-2013, 5:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obviously a Plant View Post
Go where you want, I'll be at your house drinking your liquor watching your TV...
+1 ROFL......
Old 01-17-2013, 6:13 PM

Catalina island or north gate of Tejon Ranch
Old 01-17-2013, 6:17 PM

The same place my Y2K supplies are hidden.
Old 01-18-2013, 3:27 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In nearly any scenario I can think of it is bug in time.

If for some reason it was bug out time I'd be in the woods with my backpacking gear until things cool down.
Old 01-18-2013, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My bunker over there

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 01-22-2013, 5:39 AM
Banned

Found a little island on a lake somewhere in the bay within 10miles of my house. Already have fishing poles/food somewhere there.
Old 01-22-2013, 6:02 AM

to a local 24 hour wal-mart. i can wander the aisles pushing a cart while sampling food items and trying on new clothes.
Old 01-22-2013, 7:37 AM

I have plans to bug out to several locations, depending on the circumstances: my sister's home up by Auburn, a hotel in San Diego, a ranch in North County, Mexico, and Arizona.

The BOB is needed for several reasons. First, I can think now at my leisure and pack things I may need (I pack modular, so different little parcels depending on the situation) instead of trying to remember where my passport or sunscreen is when I'm under time pressure. Second, a trip that might take a few hours today could take a couple of days under some scenarios, and a trip that might take 10 hours today could take a week; I'll want more supplies than a bottle of water and a debit card for McDonalds.

While one could certainly do some fishing, I don't think it wise to plan to live off the land. Even 150 years ago American pioneers were "moving on" because game was becoming scarce; any real pressure and game will seem to just disappear. Most good hunting even today is on land that is protected or controlled by law or by the owner, and I imagine private owners will be more serious, not less, about protecting their resource in many scenarios.
Old 01-22-2013, 3:02 PM

I watched one of the prepper episodes (discovery channel)

a family build a underground bomb shelter-under the house) I think they said it was stocked 4, 3 months. They also stash supplies along the route to a boat (several miles away)

I doubt the boat plan would work, but that bomb shelter made me drool.
Old 01-22-2013, 3:48 PM

I live out in the middle of no where so I am staying either in my house or in a tent if house burns down. We have two foot of snow and if you watch the tracks there is not a lot out there to eat so if you are coming from the city bring food.

My Bob is for disaster preperation. Natural disasters I hope not man made. I have chickens and sheep enough to slaughter over time for at least a year of living. the details are the tough part. I have 2K pounds of wheat berries but I have to be able to grind them without power. Keeping the Bob out of the house allows the contents to survive a fire in the house. Water is across the road a year around spring so the basics are taken care of shelter, water, food. I keep five hundred pounds of salt in blocks for food preservation. When I have a little extra money I add to the non electric items from Lehmans.

Lets hope this is all just a drill to learn from. I would bet the folks from the last couple of storms wish they were better prepared.

Last edited by Manolito; 01-22-2013 at 3:52 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

OP, are you shocked that no one actually gave you an answer? LOL
Old 01-27-2013, 8:05 PM

Let me give you a quick scenario. What would you do if at 1:15 am there is banging at your door and it the Sheriff Dept. He tells you, you got 10 minutes to get your things together and vacate the premise.
Let me tell you the adrenalin is pumping.
Lucky Firestorm 2007 survivors...
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM

Bugging in.

There is no way it'll be possible to get out of L.A. via clogged roads and freeways.

I'm prepped to Shelter in Place until I can secure the safest way to escape from L.A. (that doesn't involve Kurt Russell and a surfboard).

This is the USA. We don't elect kings, we rebel against them!
Old 01-28-2013, 7:58 PM

OP is just trolling.. I am within a days hike of the Sierra Nevada's. Think some forget California is more then just San Fran or L.A.
We are a dynamic community that reflects society at large. If there is a trait that distinguishes us it is that we're protectors of the the infirm, the elderly, and defenseless women (often sorority sisters who like beer & pillow fights). That means that at some point we may be called on to do battle with zombies. That is nothing to be ashamed of. .
Old 01-28-2013, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
The Queen Mary in Long Beach...Come on its a ship!
It's a statue - ship implys it floats. It sits in a couple big saddles. The Japanese wanted to buy it til they figured out it wouldn't survive the tow to Japan - too many interior bulkheads removed to open it up for the tourist trade.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM

My Summer route

37.421344, -118.946043
37.50162, -118.92471
37.2240, -118.836 see the tall dead tree i have supplies at the base of it.
37.0618, -118.5869
36.86686, -118.51941
Old 01-29-2013, 2:18 AM

I'm bugging out to my Living Room
Old 01-29-2013, 2:55 AM

I'm going to the BJs in San Bernadino, where the hot nurse works (I call the chicks who serve me beer "nurse").

I'll drink 5-6 pints of Jeremiah's Red and get sloshed. Then, I'll call a cab and go home.
Old 01-29-2013, 7:41 PM

All I know, wherever I but out, any calgunner is welcomed to join and we will have eachothers back! Seriously though... If we cangunners stick together, we can accomplish true survival.
Old 01-30-2013, 2:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
Found a little island on a lake somewhere in the bay within 10miles of my house. Already have fishing poles/food somewhere there.

FWIW...I found your spot. Ate your food already. But I did leave a note to say "Sorry."

Oh, and sold your fishing poles.

Old 01-30-2013, 4:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Well, I'll take the OP's question seriously. I discussed my family's plans a few years ago here.

In brief, if we had to ditch Livermore we'd go to stay with or near family in other locations in California. The state's big enough that any natural disaster isn't going to knock everything out at once.

My grandma's place in Concord is, amazingly, actually reasonably defensible and self-sufficient; if the Central Valley seems advisable we have family in Visalia/Tulare; if the foothills seem better we've got family up there as well. Most important is that all those folks either know of our plans or would welcome us if we showed up.

Afterthought: As for the OP's idea to hightail it to a Vegas hotel, that's not actually a bad idea, but 1) will you be able to get there, and 2) will you get there before everybody else heading there from Cali arrives and locks up all of the hotel rooms? Not a joke: this RAND study had some very interesting maps about California evacuation patterns and Vegas gets overwhelmed after even a minor event in the LA basin.

Honorary Board Member, the California Gun Rights Foundation
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.

Last edited by Davidwhitewolf; 01-30-2013 at 4:28 PM.. Reason: Afterthought
Old 03-12-2013, 2:29 PM
Banned

When you take precautions 30 years ago for the shtf day, God won't let me down.. Will be there in 50 months anyway, God willing and the creek don't rise.

The smell of retirement. The motto of a Boy Scout.

Water, Fish, Game, Hardwoods, Climate, City of 204. 2 hours from the nearest interstate, 2 ways in and out, one being a local hydro plant dam.

Old 03-12-2013, 7:25 PM

I'm blessed to be moving to the hills soon, so I'd be buggin in initially. If the need to evacuate arises I have other family members living a relatively short distance away. I doubt folks will be poking around where I'm at, but on the off chance they do I'm confident I would be be more than capable of reducing such a threat. LV sounds dreadful, buddy. I'd rethink that a little if I were you.
-Luke 22:36
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
-Galatians 2:20
Old 03-12-2013, 8:59 PM
Banned

I am already bugged out since we live way outside a major metropolitan area and have a Marine Base to help keep things organized locally, since it is simpler for them to help the town then to try to seal the hundreds of miles of non-fenced perimeter.

Our town just needs to work on keeping all you newly homeless from trying to move in to our newly gated community.