Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Do I tell traffic police in CA I have an OOS carry permit?

My class was a bit unclear on this.

If I'm not transporting a weapon, (obviously I'm not carrying in CA)should I tell the police that I have OOS carry permits?

I don't know if it pops up in their computer or protocol is to tell them or not or what the deal is.

I don't want to annoy them by telling them for no reason, or for *not* telling them, you know?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Calguns Addict

California does not require you to disclose a CCW during contact. An out of state CCW will not come up on a computer during a routine traffic stop.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Talking

What part of never talk to the police don't you understand?

JK..
Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Of course not... stupid question....

Don't give them any info they don't need to have... if you're not carrying at the time, why would you even mention a California LTC?? Let alone out of state?

Think McFly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 AM

My CCW instructor said to tell the cops when you're pulled over out of state that you have a permit.

I thought there might be an answer to this other than ' don't talk to cops' etc
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post
My CCW instructor said to tell the cops when you're pulled over out of state that you have a permit.

I thought there might be an answer to this other than ' don't talk to cops' etc
If you are not carrying - and you say, correctly, that you would not carry in CA - why would the officer care?

A CA LEO has no way to verify the validity of an out of state LTC.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 AM

That was my question exactly, Librarian.

His explanation was that telling police will possibly make them go easier on you, as in they're more likely to let you off a ticket if they know you're a ccw license holder.

Maybe that's how I should have phrased the question.

In California it seems like it would put the cop on high alert for no benefit, but I don't know, so I thought I'd ask.

The instructor is a calguns member, I'd forgotten, I can PM him and see what he says.
Old 10-10-2012, 4:42 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1

No point in disclosing this info.
Old 10-10-2012, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
His explanation was that telling police will possibly make them go easier on you, as in they're more likely to let you off a ticket if they know you're a ccw license holder.
You'd be better off by telling him "I have a 2 inch penis"; both statements are irrelevant, but you might appeal to his "small man syndrome" and or he may feel sorry for you.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 10-10-2012, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Maybe if you had a CA LTC, but why in the hell would an out of state license matter?
Old 10-12-2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:

If I'm not transporting a weapon, (obviously I'm not carrying in CA)should I tell the police that I have OOS carry permits?
A co-worker / friend of mine did exactly this. He has a Texas CCW and was pulled over by (CA) police for a traffic violation (I'm not sure if it was Highway Patrol or city Police). After hearing the driver had a CCW, the cop stepped back and took a defensive / aggressive attitude as he asked where the weapon was.
When it was explained that he wasn't carrying, the cop said "what did you tell me that for!!??.

Some cops freak at the gun word. Why create un-necessary drama?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Even those who do have a California LTC shouldn't "announce" to an officer that they have a carry permit. Having been stopped for a boneheaded maneuver in traffic, when asked for driver's license and registration, I handed over DL, LTC, and registration. Keep your hands on the wheel until he asks where your firearm is and pretty much keep them in sight until you're done.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 10-13-2012, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosh View Post
A co-worker / friend of mine did exactly this. He has a Texas CCW and was pulled over by (CA) police for a traffic violation (I'm not sure if it was Highway Patrol or city Police). After hearing the driver had a CCW, the cop stepped back and took a defensive / aggressive attitude as he asked where the weapon was.
When it was explained that he wasn't carrying, the cop said "what did you tell me that for!!??.

Some cops freak at the gun word. Why create un-necessary drama?
This is similar to what I would expect the reaction to be. They would naturally think there was a reason you brought it up. Not a good idea in my opinion.

PM me for class certificates
Old 10-13-2012, 1:39 PM
Internet 'Tough Guy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
Of course not... stupid question..
Indeed. I had hope those of us who carry guns would be blessed with more common sense than most but I guess not.

Last edited by donny douchebag; 10-13-2012 at 1:42 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny View Post
Indeed. I had hope those of us who carry guns would be blessed with more common sense than most but I guess not.
Stupid question??? Common sense?? I'm an apprentice and journeyman always say that there arent any stupid questions coming from an apprentice or someone that doesnt have much knowledge in any particular field. To someone that's been there and done that its common sense. Duh!
He's asking because he doesnt know this! And neither would have i for that matter. instead of belittling his question and knowledge,I think as you guys being experienced calgunners you would want to give him better answers so he does make the right decisionwhen the situation arises.
Old 10-15-2012, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I'd sooner show him my Blue Peter badge.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGKRacing View Post
Stupid question??? Common sense?? I'm an apprentice and journeyman always say that there arent any stupid questions coming from an apprentice or someone that doesnt have much knowledge in any particular field. To someone that's been there and done that its common sense. Duh!
He's asking because he doesnt know this! And neither would have i for that matter. instead of belittling his question and knowledge,I think as you guys being experienced calgunners you would want to give him better answers so he does make the right decisionwhen the situation arises.
Shouldn't you be out looking for the skyhook?

Journeymen do their fair share of razzing the newbs.... so don't go there son.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGKRacing View Post

He's asking because he doesnt know this! And neither would have i for that matter. instead of belittling his question and knowledge,I think as you guys being experienced calgunners you would want to give him better answers so he does make the right decision when the situation arises.
I generally agree with this. It takes a while to know enough to sift through the answers for the gold among the dross. And some folks just don't care for 'hazing the new guy'.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-16-2012, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You'd be better off by telling him "I have a 2 inch penis"; both statements are irrelevant, but you might appeal to his "small man syndrome" and or he may feel sorry for you.
Or he may check to see if you're carrying it concealed.
Old 10-16-2012, 9:52 AM
In Memoriam

Hands on the wheel.

Quote:
stupid question....
Top ten candidate.
Old 10-16-2012, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I generally agree with this. It takes a while to know enough to sift through the answers for the gold among the dross. And some folks just don't care for 'hazing the new guy'.
After reading CalGuns for a few years now, I'm convinced there are a lot of unhappy-with-life people out there. Picking on others here seems to make them feel better. Its kinda sad, really.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That was my question exactly, Librarian.

Can't imagine why that would make anyone go easier on you.

CAN imagine why that would make some be a pain in the arse to you.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
After reading CalGuns for a few years now, I'm convinced there are a lot of unhappy-with-life people out there. Picking on others here seems to make them feel better. Its kinda sad, really.
While I would generally agree with your comment, that is not the case.

Asking whether or not one should disclose out of state permits during a traffic stop is beyond common sense... which is the only reason I posted the "Stupid Question" comment. It was not to pick on anyone. I did not say statement like "you are an idiot" or the like. I simply made the statement it was a stupid question, which it was- no one has to take it personally.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 PM

I don't know about the out of state thing but for in state CCW, I think there is some merit to letting the officer know by virtue (as previously stated) of handing over DL, Registration and CCW and let them ask the question. I don't advocate doing it in hopes of getting off but there is (in my opinion) a better chance that the officer will look at you as one of the good guys given that you have been vetted and trained. Secondly, the fact that you have a CCW is listed on page two of you driving record that the dispatcher can see if they go to page two. They don't always. But ... I would rather that the information be given to the officer under terms that are dictated by me as opposed to some dispatcher that may be new, distracted, alarmed or for some other reason. Suppose they communicate to the officer that you may be armed. Imagine how that may be heard, interpreted and acted upon. I would rather have that information under my control rather than from a stranger. I got pulled over once, did as described above. I didn't get a ticket and the officer thanked me SPECIFICALLY for informing him that I was carrying. He appreciated it.

So just because some people say never do it, and Duh and common sense dictates as such, there are two sides to every coin. Take all of the information given, press it through your own filters and do what makes the most sense to you.
Old 10-17-2012, 6:47 AM
Calguns Addict

It's about as relevant as what NFL team you like in a traffic stop.
Old 10-17-2012, 7:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
...which is the only reason I posted the "Stupid Question" comment. It was not to pick on anyone.
Why post at all? That's the point you're missing. Just because you think its a stupid question, doesn't mean it is. So if you don't have anything constructive to offer, how exactly does saying its a "stupid question" contribute to the conversation? The only benefit I can see is to make the asker feel dumb, and/or to make yourself feel smart. Either way, you come off as a dick and the point Lib is making stands.
Old 10-17-2012, 7:52 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know if it pops up in their computer or protocol is to tell them or not or what the deal is.

I don't want to annoy them by telling them for no reason, or for *not* telling them, you know?

Thanks in advance.
If you are not carrying a weapon, then it is none of their business. If you are carrying a concealed weapon, then the OOS permit is pointless since it has no bearing on your legal ability to carry here.

Don't say a word. In general, don't bring up gun issues to cops during traffic stops unless you are carrying legally with an LTC.
Old 10-17-2012, 8:07 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
It's about as relevant as what NFL team you like in a traffic stop.
This can make a difference.
Old 10-17-2012, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Why post at all? That's the point you're missing. Just because you think its a stupid question, doesn't mean it is. So if you don't have anything constructive to offer, how exactly does saying its a "stupid question" contribute to the conversation? The only benefit I can see is to make the asker feel dumb, and/or to make yourself feel smart. Either way, you come off as a dick and the point Lib is making stands.
I don't need edification at the sacrifice of others. If the OP were the one offended by my comment, I might have something else to say. Beings you or Lib are not the one "offended" I really don't see how it is any of your business. Are you guys becoming a couple hall monitors?

We are obviously diametrically opposed. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 10-17-2012, 8:34 AM
retired Goon

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-17-2012, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't need edification at the sacrifice of others. If the OP were the one offended by my comment, I might have something else to say. Beings you or Lib are not the one "offended" I really don't see how it is any of your business. Are you guys becoming a couple hall monitors?

We are obviously diametrically opposed. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.
You continue to prove the point better than I can. So it turns out we agree regardless of if you realize it or not.

Carry on.
Old 10-18-2012, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
This can make a difference.
yeah, dont be a raider fan, or at least dont be open about it