Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
What about Kotex or Maxi pads or what ever they're called? Some of you said you have woment to think of. If you have an injury that is a bleeder these work for that too.

Eye drops also work for ear aches. I could be wrong on this one check it out for yourselves.

Googles and face masks. If you are without sanitation for some time the masks can keep the dried crap out of your lungs along with dust. There was plenty of dust after the Northridge quake some dirt some asbestos.

To the OP I'd go 223 not 6.8. I understand better knockdown longer range but lighter and more plentiful trumps the advantage of the 6.8. Just a thought I wouldn't go with a caliber that isn't available at any store or from somebody you might meet up with. This is a personal decision.

Aluminum foil I don't know if this is a good idea or not. It works great around the house and if you needed to signal somebody it might be helpful.

Is the BOB something you are going to put on your back and start walking or something in your car and you are planning on driving out of the area?

Chem lites are a good thing maybe not for hitting the road but not too bad for your house if there isn't any power. One light is good for up to 12 hours.

Did anybody mention maps? If you are going to hit the road they are a good thing.
More good stuff - thanks - I have my wife working on a bag with her needed items as well.
In response to your mention of .223 vs 6.8spc - I thought this over long and hard, it wasn't just a situation where I just decided to take the only gun I have...that being said, I choose the LMT MRP because I can switch barrels on it, and switch calibers very easily. I have both .223 and 6.8 barrels and BCG's - one is in the gun, the other is ready and waiting nearby. If I needed to I could throw in the other set and it will be another couple pounds different for my pack.
I also have a Noveske N4 Lo-Pro Light set up for my wife to shoot - so I will have access to a .223 rifle at all times as well. Needless to say, I have plenty of ammo for both.
Old 01-30-2009, 7:59 PM
workinwifdakids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Add a Boy Scout Handbook. It's a great survival & first aid guide.
+1. I also like the Boy Scout Fieldbook. As far as chemlights go, though, remember: there is no way to check if they work until you try them, and they are somewhat delicate.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 PM

The easiest way to carry a Boy Scout Handbook (or any other survival book) is to read and practice it, until it's knowledge. Take a course on the subject, while you can. Knowledge is higher priority, than "stuff"... and often less expensive.

Ben Harper

"It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
- The Patriot -
Old 01-30-2009, 11:18 PM

ok.

Last edited by popndrop; 01-31-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: I'm over it. Late night rant.
Old 01-31-2009, 8:57 PM

My pack is more geared towards my kids and wife. Clothing for them, food, water, diapers, desitin. Things to keep them occupied.

Katadyn water purifier and 10 filters.
Mountain house freeze dried food enough to last 4 weeks.
Distilled water
map/compass
Knife/Axe
Flares
Chem lights
Mess kits
Matches/lighter
sharpening stone
rope/wire/harness
wet weather clothing for all family
emt and wilderness trauma kit
Bug nets
crank radio/hand held cb radio
fishing kit/game cleaning
local road maps and trails

Anything valuable is kept in the waterproof box. Money such and such.

A picture of my DM !
Old 02-01-2009, 8:38 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafup View Post

Tell me about this LBV, please.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Hi Mapleleaf,

What kind of holster is this pictured?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

You might want to add a Compass. Never needs a battery.
Old 02-02-2009, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

basically all my shooting supplies we go shooting in the desert so i get everything in 1 bag to try and save space. ammo(holds nearly 2 .50cal cans), bipods, magazines,cleaning supplies, ear muffs, flashlight, spare batteries, bnad aids gauze, rubbing alcohol, butane tourch, USMC basic survival guide, spare knife(need a good fixed blade, probably going to get a K-Bar) and a MOLLE water pack.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.

Last edited by xibunkrlilkidsx; 02-02-2009 at 6:38 PM..
Old 02-02-2009, 7:43 PM

Do you and your wife wear glasses or contacts? Make sure you have spares.

I am not sure how bad you plan on things getting but you may want to include potassium iodide pills to help block the absorption of radiation in case of a dirty bomb scenario.

A red wagon will also help anyone out there with kids or lots of equipment. They sell these at every toy store. If the kids get tired you can throw them in there as well. If you get one big enough you could probably throw the wife in there if she is tired or injured.

Large Chalk may also be useful for signaling such as writing SOS on buildings or simply marking certain areas.

Immodium AD or other anti diarrhea product. You don't want to be indisposed due to bad water or whatever when you should be on foot.

Mouth guard for the med kit. Small and useful if you have to do anything painful to someone such as setting a broken bone.

When stocking up on anti-biotics and medications also take into account allergies. You may need to add an epi-pen to the med kit.

If you need to wear a brace for any reason especially a knee brace, include it. You may have to do a lot of walking.

Last edited by zeus45c; 02-02-2009 at 7:48 PM.. Reason: added item
Old 02-02-2009, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xibunkrlilkidsx View Post

basically all my shooting supplies we go shooting in the desert so i get everything in 1 bag to try and save space. ammo(holds nearly 2 .50cal cans), bipods, magazines,cleaning supplies, ear muffs, flashlight, spare batteries, bnad aids gauze, rubbing alcohol, butane tourch, USMC basic survival guide, spare knife(need a good fixed blade, probably going to get a K-Bar) and a MOLLE water pack.
do you actually cary all the ammo in those .50 call cans, because there is no way in heck you would be able to be very mobile, my lil .223 cans are around 35 punds and they still arent as big as the .50 lol just my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I am a complete idiot
Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 AM

I posted this on GunForums.com

http://www.gunforums.com/forums/show...hp?post/75695/

My bag: ALICE PACK

Major items: CASH, Katadyn Hiker Pro, Hand Axe, Large Roll Duct Tape, Large "Survial" Knife, medium cheap fixed blade knife, medium cheap folding knife, cheap "leatherman" type tool, Buck Knife #119, Mirror, Multi-Head Screwdriver, Heavy String, 200' polypropylene rope, Light Sticks, Fishing Rod(collapsable) & Reel, 16 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide, 16 oz Rubbing Alcohol, towels, bar soap, Nitrile Gloves, fire sticks.

Small "Fishing Tackle" Box: Hooks, weights, simple stuff

Small "Fire" box: matches, compass/whistle/magnifing glass, waterproof matches, lighters, magnesium fire starter, sharpening stone, sm utility knife, D hooks, sewing kit

Medium Box: Fishing Line Spools 30 lbs and 6 lbs test, ALL types of glues, JB Weld

Medium Box: Scissors, Sporks, tape measure, Ace Bandages, needles, tooth brushes and paste, cloret gum, sm manicure set

Small Box: small pliers, large utility knife w/ xtra blades, needle nose/cutter pliers, hemostats

Large Box "Medicine Cabinet": various bandages, gauze, medical tape, 500 ct aspirin, 200 ct tylenol, 200 ct advil, 100 ct benedryl, anti fungal cream, anti itch cream, anti bacterial cream, oral analgesic gel

500 rounds 22 cal
100 rounds 40 cal
100 rounds 223

All boxes fit into the duffle bag as separate "compartments". The "small boxes" are a little larger than a sandwich box. Medium boxes about 2x the size as the small, Large box about 3-4x's larger than the small box. All boxes are labled with the contents for quick location. The smaller boxes inside the larger duffle bag make organization much easier.

The "cheap" knives are decent knifes (non name brand) brand new and sharp. The cheap "leather man" type tool is from Wal Mart...decent not great. Ammo would be "extra" above and beyond of what would be in already existing magazines and ammo belts.

Guns supported would be a Marlin 700 (22 cal), Glock 23 and 27 (40 cal), AR15 (223).

The pack is fairly heavy 50 lbs? But most likely I would be "living" out of my truck for a while then be on foot.

THIS IS JUST A START AND WILL BE EVER CHANGING. Items that have a shelf life will be changed out. I will add and subtract items as I think of new things while I camp and hunt in the future. I need to add another good flashlight like a Sure Fire with xtra batteries, plus an ink pen and sharpy pen...plus paper. Toilet paper? These are things I thought of while typing.

I spent about $200-$250 on this with $60 of it for the Katadyn water filter and $30 for the Buck Knife, but I felt these were a premium...I did NOT count the ammo towards the price...I don't know why? All items were purchased at Wal Mart, Big 5 Sporting Goods, Harbor Freight Tools, and the 99 cent Store. Price was a consideration on all items, because the bag might never be used, so non brand name items were used and I shopped at discount stores. One could spend MUCH MORE!

This bags' purpose is if I grab this along with the guns and a couple of other small items I can leave in under 5 minutes and have just about all I need for a while.

Hope this helps, comments and additions would help all. We are only one Earthquake (I live in So Cal), Hurricane, Tornado, (who knows what else) away from relying on this bag.

Last edited by tortoisethunder; 03-02-2009 at 6:31 AM..
Old 02-03-2009, 5:13 AM

My .02

Add cigarettes and drugs (mostly pain killers and muscle relaxers) as currency items for trade with stupid people.

If people still think cash will be valuable if all collapses, have a a few grand in 20's and 50's with you. It's just paper and really reprsents nothing but your labour.

Keep your gold, as you may really need it to trade with people as savvy as yourself for high ticket, hard to obtain items.
a global banking oligarchy determined to shipwreck the economies of the world
and feast on its corpse.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecollector View Post
do you actually cary all the ammo in those .50 call cans, because there is no way in heck you would be able to be very mobile, my lil .223 cans are around 35 punds and they still arent as big as the .50 lol just my .02
they are mostly just ammo storage right now. but i keep everything i need in there and decide what to take and what not, and if i need to i can downsize to smaller cans. but i have had 2 of thoose .50 ammo cans in there with full ammo. and ya it nearly made me fall back and i know that is nothing to what someone would carry in basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midian View Post
My .02

Add cigarettes and drugs (mostly pain killers and muscle relaxers) as currency items for trade with stupid people.

If people still think cash will be valuable if all collapses, have a a few grand in 20's and 50's with you. It's just paper and really reprsents nothing but your labour.

Keep your gold, as you may really need it to trade with people as savvy as yourself for high ticket, hard to obtain items.
"The only things that are going to survive after the down fall are cockroaches, guns and gold"
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midian View Post
My .02

This is exactly why when I turn 21 I will stock up a bit on various types of long shelf-life booze. I don't even drink, or plan to, but there are people out there who will want some spirits for entertainment, medical, or other reasons. I think clear liquors in plastic (more shatter-resistant) bottles are probably the best candidates, but I'm no expert.

After reading an article on SHTF in Argentina, I noticed the author stressed having a few "luxury" items (even hotel bottles of shampoo/moisturizer, bags of instant coffee, unopened spice bottles, etc.). This could be a really prudent, zero-cost precaution if you know where to get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnones View Post
Should I give them booze? I have Ralph's brand Kahlua and some Half and Half. Kids like chocolate milk, right?
Old 02-04-2009, 6:40 AM

Great lists, folks.

One things I've added is a bottle of No-Doz (or similar). Sometimes coffee won't be available and the added kick might be needed.
Old 02-04-2009, 7:18 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
One things I've added is a bottle of No-Doz (or similar). Sometimes coffee won't be available and the added kick might be needed.
I have a kilogram of pure powdered caffeine. Would that be enough?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 02-04-2009, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokMaster1 View Post
Tell me about this LBV, please.
This is a Arktis Noorloos made in England. It holds a ****e load of kit. Around 15 small to large compartments which hold a ton of different size magazines, and one concealed hang gun holster. Plus brit issued 10 liter bergan pouches can be attached on the bag of the noorloos. It is very comfortable. Price runs around $225 i think?
Old 02-04-2009, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Hi Mapleleaf,

What kind of holster is this pictured?

Thanks
I belive its called a Tornado? I got it from a buddy in the SAS. It has no markings other than a Camo UK flag and his name and serial number
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
This is a Arktis Noorloos made in England. It holds a ****e load of kit. Around 15 small to large compartments which hold a ton of different size magazines, and one concealed hang gun holster. Plus brit issued 10 liter bergan pouches can be attached on the bag of the noorloos. It is very comfortable. Price runs around $225 i think?
So this is like our Alice or Molle gear? I am not military. Looks real nice. Are there any "bargain" versions? $225 is step but probably worth it? I was thinking my 50 lbs duffle bag might be a little heavy to walk/hike long distances?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM

This is not Molle or Alice, its all attached. There is other versions that are Molle but they run like $500-600. Oh ya you can also try Arktisusa.com They are in Ohio i belive. Some of the larger runs go on sale alot, they cant sell them all before the new models come out, and i have seem them dirt cheap on sale around $60 to 80.

I cant imagine anyone wanting to carry 50lbs of duffle lol. I would serioulsy check out the new snugpack rocket packs, they hold about 90-100 lbs of kit they are a british pack sold in the USA now. Look for snugpack bergen. I swear by british kit.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_freeman View Post
here is one for ya- get an SD card like a Nikon D40 would use then get a small USB card reader you can put the SD card in the reader and it's only about 1.5"x1.5"x .25" next scan or photograph all your vital documents onto the SD card. This way you have a back up to all your vital docs in 1.5" package with USB port, you could even put medical books and maps on there You may need to use a computer sometime and reprint your birth certificate or what ever, providing EMP's didn't take it out.
If you have to deal with Obamas green shirts you may need to make a fake ID if you are a white male. Don't forget a little gold to bribe the green shirts.
+1

...at least to the SD card / making multiple hard and digital copies of important records.

If you are displaced for X amount of time, you may end up needing to get a job, .gov benefits, establish credit, etc, etc.

There are several great links to real world SHTF blogs, but I'll add another:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/

From someone that has been through it, the author offers great ideas on having you s*** together before a disaster.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
...and where might I get caffeine in these quantities, good sir?

Quote:
Should I give them booze? I have Ralph's brand Kahlua and some Half and Half. Kids like chocolate milk, right?
Old 02-04-2009, 3:26 PM

Are you sure it's caffeine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Old 02-04-2009, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisethunder View Post
So this is like our Alice or Molle gear? I am not military. Looks real nice. Are there any "bargain" versions? $225 is step but probably worth it? I was thinking my 50 lbs duffle bag might be a little heavy to walk/hike long distances?
Hey bro, it's hard to beat USGI ALICE gear for good kit on a budget...

The packs, load bearing rigs, pouches, etc. is all good to go. Widely available and cheap at that!

Even now with this huge market for tactical gear and endless options, a lot of no-sh*t operators still choose ALICE.

Semper Fidelis
Old 02-04-2009, 8:12 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadelic4 View Post
...and where might I get caffeine in these quantities, good sir?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus45c View Post
Are you sure it's caffeine?
Yes, I'm sure it's caffeine

I'm a beer homebrewer, and I was looking to buy some caffeine in order to make some batches of caffeinated beer. I scoured online and found small quantities to be very expensive. Eventually I found a seller on Ebay in the UK selling in 1KG quantities that was even cheaper (after being shipped from the UK!!) then buying it here in the states.

It wasn't until AFTER I got the caffeine that I started doing the math. To properly caffeinate a 5Gal batch of beer required....... 1 level table-spoon..... I've got a jar the SIZE OF MY HEAD full of the stuff. I could caffeinate EVERY batch of beer I brew for the next 5 years with the amount of caffeine I ended up with.

Oooops.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 02-05-2009, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Tanker View Post
Hey bro, it's hard to beat USGI ALICE gear for good kit on a budget...
+ 1 I picked up a G.I. Large Alice Pack with Frame and Straps in Excellent condition from Ebay for about 60.00 shipped. It fits a ton of gear including a secondary scout pack inside the main compartment. I then added on some 2 quart water canteens and other equipment on the external strapping.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM

I've got a large and Medium ALICE...I'm thinking about sending the large ALICE to Tactical Tailor for some mods.

I've used ALICE, MOLLE, and ILBE main packs and I still keep coming back to my ALICE.

I've used all sorts of patrol packs, and still end up thinking that the medium ALICE is the way to go for a short op.

Semper Fidelis
Old 02-05-2009, 8:15 PM

Default Comment on BOB's

Finally giving into the whole SHTF "what if" bug out senario thread.

I do have a small earthquake preparedness bag (still in the works) but I was thinking, if one had to actually "bug out" wouldn't it be more sensible
to go low-pro, like a civilian day-pak instead of some sort of digital camo,molle, GI Joe looking bag?
A lot have mentioned carrying with ammo, and looking back at not so
long ago history (Katrina), many that were caught carrying had their guns
taken away; law abiding and not so law abiding types.

Just my 2 pesos...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric90503 View Post
wouldn't it be more sensible
to go low-pro, like a civilian day-pak instead of some sort of digital camo,molle, GI Joe looking bag?
My reason for buying an Alice pack was cost effectiveness. For me to get a civilian pack of equal or better quality would have easily cost me double to triple what I actually paid for. Being in the city my primary plan is to hole up in my house. But if I have to load up the SUV to get out of dodge, I grab the bag and additional supplies ready for transport and I'm gone. If I have to end up traveling anywhere on foot then I can throw the Alice pack on. I prefer not to but the option is available.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus45c View Post
My reason for buying an Alice pack was cost effectiveness. For me to get a civilian pack of equal or better quality would have easily cost me double to triple what I actually paid for. Being in the city my primary plan is to hole up in my house. But if I have to load up the SUV to get out of dodge, I grab the bag and additional supplies ready for transport and I'm gone. If I have to end up traveling anywhere on foot then I can throw the Alice pack on. I prefer not to but the option is available.
Very true on the cost. I really like some of the designs that mil-spec and voodoo tact. has, saw them at Crossroads in Costa Mesa. But upon closer inspection, the quality control overseas and materiel choice is rather poor. Like a dummy I gave my completed pack to my GF, (hope she realizes it was a PITA to compile) The pack that I used was this one http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...round-day-pack

I'd have to say I've owned quite a bit of packs in my day and the ballistic nylon is super tough on this one and the quality shines through. Gaaad! I hate buying things twice.

But your right hoofing it will suck, but I think that is what will happen if you have to leave your area. Down here the 405, 91, 10, 110, 101 is jam packed during non-disaster times, can you imagine if it wasn't. 4wd will only get you so far on the iceplants..lol..
Old 02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
I belive its called a Tornado? I got it from a buddy in the SAS. It has no markings other than a Camo UK flag and his name and serial number
Thanks for the reply, it's a pretty cool holster.
Old 02-06-2009, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Very true on the cost. I really like some of the designs that mil-spec and voodoo tact. has, saw them at Crossroads in Costa Mesa. But upon closer inspection, the quality control overseas and materiel choice is rather poor. Like a dummy I gave my completed pack to my GF, (hope she realizes it was a PITA to compile) The pack that I used was this one http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...round-day-pack
That is a very nice pack. It looks like I may have to pick one up to keep in my vehicle.

You may want to make sure the girlfriend isn't cannibalizing the pack on a day to day basis for band aids and what not
Old 02-06-2009, 6:24 PM

Quote:

A lot have mentioned carrying with ammo, and looking back at not so
long ago history (Katrina), many that were caught carrying had their guns
taken away; law abiding and not so law abiding types.

Just my 2 pesos...

Just curious, do you have any information on why? I did not hear about this. I dont see how they could have thier weapons confiscated from them. If they were just packing a rifle, non concealed, what justification would they have? Just wondering, as if i were to head for the hills in an emergency, i would bring a rifle and a side arm.
bobby
Old 02-06-2009, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Thanks for the reply, it's a pretty cool holster.
You got anything to trade? I'll trade it. My buddy is sending me a DPM coloured one so i wont need this one.
Old 02-06-2009, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblank View Post
Just curious, do you have any information on why? I did not hear about this. I dont see how they could have thier weapons confiscated from them. If they were just packing a rifle, non concealed, what justification would they have? Just wondering, as if i were to head for the hills in an emergency, i would bring a rifle and a side arm.
bobby
There is a ton of videos about them being confiscated, the NRA put out some. Shoot to kill
Old 02-06-2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
There is a ton of videos about them being confiscated, the NRA put out some. Shoot to kill
wow, just watched some videos. I had no idea. Thats total bull, WTF. Even if they did give them receipts for the weapons, how can a government strip thier people of the only defence they might have had. Makes my stomach queezy.

Old 02-06-2009, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblank View Post
wow, just watched some videos. I had no idea. Thats total bull, WTF. Even if they did give them receipts for the weapons, how can a government strip thier people of the only defence they might have had. Makes my stomach queezy.

AB 1645 means that we are "safe" from such unconstitutional seizures by the governor during a "State of Emergency" here in CA. That isn't, however, a guarantee that the federal govn't, or anyone else for that matter, won't come sniffing for them during martial law.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2009, 3:35 AM

Some recommendations:

Stage 2 and Stage 3 kits should have a full size axe. You don't have to be able to put them in the pack of course, it might be more of a car or carry item. But it's absolutely critical you have a full size axe. The difference between using knife a hatchet and a full size axe is the difference between a .22 a 5.56 and a 308. It also never runs out of ammo I have a fiskars axe with a composite handle, the lightest I could find. I also use it while camping, my camping gear is my survival gear. To know what gear sucks and doesn't, you need to use it. This will accomplish a lot of things, one you will become proficient with your gear, you will determine the best location for packing it, and you know what stuff you bought is crap and what you never use.

I would also recommend either a high power air rifle 850 fps or better with field points, or a subsonic 22 setup for taking small game quietly. I pack the Henry version of the Ar-7, the U.S. Survival as it weighs less than my silent game taking air rifle, a good old daisy 880 with a scope.

My SHTF pack is a Kelly Bigger Bend 6400. Please don't confuse this with an a assault pack, this is a walk away from the house and don't look back pack. It is designed to carry a full size axe on board, even has a place that holds the blade that is reinforced especially for it and a stretchy strap to hold the handle in place. It is heavy when fully loaded, but I have enough dry cloths and food for one full week and the tools I need to make a permanent back woods residence and defend it.

The rest of the don't look back pack, is my suburban, affectionately known as Grover.

The most important part of any BOB, is a plan, and practice.

Last edited by TheDM; 02-07-2009 at 3:57 AM..
Old 02-07-2009, 5:19 PM
CGN Contributor

I missed it if already mentioned but DUCK TAPE...or silicon tape.