Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2014, 4:38 PM

Default Any good quail hunting spots on public land?

Some budies and I are going to go quail hunting for the first time and was wondering if anyone has any tips on decent spots (public). We don't want to spend a fortune on a guided hunt or paying fees to clubs. I know in CA most hunting land that is decent is private. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-04-2014, 5:45 PM

Things have been tough this year (and last) on private land. Public land has been almost devoid of birds.

Normally chalk this up to a typical "I Can't Find Sh**" experience, but it's well out of the norm. Most seasons I can fill my bag limit with a little work. Last season I was lucky to fill half a bag, and this season I'm in for exactly *1* bird.

No BS - drought. Brood survival was terrible last year, about as bad this year. I've seen more bobcats this year than I have in the past 10 years combined. Maybe wait a couple of seasons for the rain and coveys to both come back, then get out there and hit it hard. Otherwise you'll walk away thinking "There aren't any birds on public land!". In a normal year, that's not true. There are fewer, but they can be had. This year? Not a single public land bird. Last year, maybe half a dozen.

I'm quitting for this year. The birds don't need the extra pressure.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 12-05-2014, 4:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Our wild quail at our hunting club were wiped out by the powerhouse fire. We are not allowing any quail to be taken on property till we get some decent hatches. hunters don't give out tips for their favorite areas to people they don't know especially on a forum like this. Go wear out some shoe leather and scout. Quail will always be found near a water source.
If you posted a general location you might get some tips. It is a big state.