Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Default DIY: How to customize your "pick-'n-pluck" foam insert

I picked up a Pelican Storm IM2050 case for my newly acquired G29-SF. While the modular pick-n-pluck insert is purposeful for a basic customized fit of your pistol and accessories, the Tetris look of the removed foam columns would be an eye sore for me. Not to mention, I didn't feel like dropping more cash on a custom foam insert after all of these recent new-hobby expenses. I haven't seen any writeups or videos online of people customizing their pick-n-pluck inserts so hopefully this will help people save some money by DIY. If there is a better option, please let me know as this method is a bit crude!

Tools needed:
-marker or suitable pen
-razor blade
-long and thin serrated knife

Optional:
-rubber cement
-Plasti Dip

Pelican Storm IM2050 case. Very impressed by the initial quality check and value for the money.

Take out your top layer of foam, which is the pick-n-pluck section and make a trace out of your pistol. You should wind up with something like this:

Next, take your razor blade and slowly make relief cuts along your freshly traced line to make it easier for the long, serrated knife to work cleanly. Since the pick-n-pluck foam pieces are pre-scored, it's very easy for the foam to pull and tug so you want to work slow as well.

You should wind up with something like this. Remember that the cut-out will be much deeper (a pistol will drop down way too deep) so what I did was take the removed foam pieces and layer it inside the cut-out. Then I found a suitable piece of foam, which in this case was an egg crate style foam and cut it to the gun's shape once again to give it a finished look.

The pistol fit in perfectly, almost too snug and removing it was a little cumbersome. In order to remedy this, I simply removed the foam just behind the backstrap. Now I can fit three fingers in and safely remove the pistol!

That's it! Now on to the optional items and/or steps. The rubber cement is just to repair any mis-cut foam or danglers. You do not want to use super glue (CA) as it will melt the foam and leave a white and hard mess.

I came across a couple of videos on YouTube with regards to the use of Plasti Dip for the sole purpose of enhancing the strength of the foam. Basically you spray on a few coats of Plasti Dip which strengthens the foam by rubberizing its pores. I will be doing this later on once I figure out what else I want to place in the Pelican case.

Last edited by Jamboree; 10-21-2015 at 11:45 AM..
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 PM

I tried the plasti dip method and it didn't work as I expected. The foam didn't harden, it became more tacky. II ended up using 1 spray can and 1 can of liquid plasti dip for both back and front of the foam.
Old 10-21-2015, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
I tried the plasti dip method and it didn't work as I expected. The foam didn't harden, it became more tacky. II ended up using 1 spray can and 1 can of liquid plasti dip for both back and front of the foam.
I'll give it a shot and post my results. Did you do thin coats and let dry in between?

Last edited by Jamboree; 10-21-2015 at 10:22 PM..
Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 PM

I must say it turned out really nice!! The Plastidip really makes it all look more finished, not to mention it helps strengthen the relatively weak pick-n-pull foam. Now I can put this project to rest =)

Last edited by Jamboree; 10-21-2015 at 11:38 PM..