Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2017, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting_Zombies View Post
I have never been so confused in my life.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
The AR pistol itself has its own issues with the AW laws.

The biggest problem is the proposed (and withdrawn) regulations created a situation that made it impossible to RAW an 80% build because they required that the DOJ issue the serial number... which will not be set up and running until mid-2018.

Current strictest reading of the law for the 2019 "Ghost Gun Ban" is that if you have engraved the BATFE-compliant information on the lower that would be needed to sell it, you may vol-reg (if a pistol, will require photos in SSEv2.0-compliant form) and you're good to go.
A slightly looser reading of the law is that if you have the information engraved on the lower, you're good to go.

The main issue is the AW component.
Assuming that the withdrawn RAW regulations are reissued with the "80% impossibility issue" corrected, then if you have engraved the BATFE-compliant information on the lower that would be needed to sell it, you may vol-reg (if a pistol, will require photos in SSEv2.0-compliant form), and it will then be eligible for RAW.

Again, a slightly looser reading would allow you to bypass the vol-reg and go directly to RAW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin232 View Post
the sse1 was an 80%, so it was built compliant. Since DOJ nor I have a time machine, who is the burden of proof on?
Quote:
It's on you since you are attempting to VolReg it in 2017.

They will likely deny a VolReg that is in a semiautomatic form or other form that is not compliant with SSEv2.0

OK. So I own a LEGAL home-built AR style semi-auto bullet-buttoned fixed 10-round magazine pistol. I built it long ago, before SSE2. It has no serial number or markings of any kind. It is not registered in any way. And it is LEGAL right now.

I want to keep it legal. I will get a serial number if necessary. I will register it if necessary. I will register it as a RAW. Whatever.

But you are saying that the current combination of laws and regulations make it so that I have no legal path to keep my pistol?
Old 03-03-2017, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
OK. So I own a LEGAL home-built AR style semi-auto bullet-buttoned fixed 10-round magazine pistol. I built it long ago, before SSE2. It has no serial number or markings of any kind. It is not registered in any way. And it is LEGAL right now.

I want to keep it legal. I will get a serial number if necessary. I will register it if necessary. I will register it as a RAW. Whatever.

But you are saying that the current combination of laws and regulations make it so that I have no legal path to keep my pistol?
People here will say a lot of things. Just get it serialized and register it. See what happens. There's going to be 1000s of registrations for DoJ to process this year before the deadline. Take that for what its worth.
Old 03-03-2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:

There should be legal paths to continuing to own your AR pistol. They are just a bit murky at this time.

Your post is however confusing. Do you have a fixed magazine AR pistol (using one of the new devices that forces you to open the action to reload) or do you have a bullet button "assault weapon" pistol?

If your pistol is truly a fixed mag pistol, then it shouldn't need a bullet button because it's not an assault weapon. In that case, you should be able to assign it your own serial number and voluntarily register it prior to July.

If its an assault weapon, you need to wait for the regulations to come out. You will then need to apply for a serial number and have it engraved prior to registering as an assault weapon.

Hopefully the new assault weapon registration regulations will help define a fixed magazine versus what is considered an assault weapon. Right now, the legality of the fixed mag devices are unknown.

My suggestion is to wait for the assault weapon registration regulations before you do anything.
Old 03-03-2017, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
Just get it serialized and register it.
Get one from the state of California, which won't have a process for that until after the deadline to register AW passes? Or get on via federal regs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor*Cal View Post
Your post is however confusing. Do you have a fixed magazine AR pistol (using one of the new devices that forces you to open the action to reload) or do you have a bullet button "assault weapon" pistol?
Old definition of fixed. Not new definition of fixed. It is fixed via a bullet button, not any new contraptions, thus it is now an assault weapon per the new laws.

Quote:
If its an assault weapon, you need to wait for the regulations to come out. You will then need to apply for a serial number and have it engraved prior to registering as an assault weapon.

My suggestion is to wait for the assault weapon registration regulations before you do anything.
But the process for getting a serial number from the state will not be made available until after the window to register AWs has closed.

Last edited by MudCamper; 03-03-2017 at 3:45 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Get one from the state of California, which won't have a process for that until after the deadline to register AW passes? Or get on via federal regs?
Federal. Make something up that ends in the number.
Old 03-03-2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:

But the process for getting a serial number from the state will not be made available until after the window to register AWs has closed.
Not sure were you heard that but the registration regulations that were withdrawn included the instructions for requesting a serial number. That process should go live at the same time as the registration process.

They can't require us to request a serial number prior to registration but not make that process available until after the registration deadline. They would have to extend the registration window if that were the case.

I'm in the same boat as you with my AR pistol. Just waiting for the DOJ. Actually, my situation is a little different because I assigned it my own serial number and its already engraved. Unless something changes, I'll end up with 2 numbers on mine.
Old 03-03-2017, 4:11 PM

My 80% pistol with self assigned serial is already in the system via Volreg. Take that FWIW.
Old 03-03-2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
My 80% pistol with self assigned serial is already in the system via Volreg. Take that FWIW.
I guess time will tell if that was a good move or a worthless one. This state is so f'ed up.
Old 03-03-2017, 4:25 PM
Not a mod or lawyer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Not sure were you heard that but the registration regulations that were withdrawn included the instructions for requesting a serial number. That process should go live at the same time as the registration process.
I think that's what he meant - not that the instructions aren't available, but that the system to do it isn't in place yet.

That is perhaps the most frustrating thing about DOJ's incompetence right now - the process of applying for a serial, then engraving it onto a lower, is not fast at all. It takes time (and money!) And the longer DOJ waits, the more of a rush everyone will be in. And for that matter, it's not even certain yet that we have to do it at all.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 03-03-2017 at 4:29 PM..
Old 03-03-2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post

That is perhaps the most frustrating thing about DOJ's incompetence right now - the process of applying for a serial, then engraving it onto a lower, is not fast at all. It takes time (and money!) And the longer DOJ waits, the more of a rush everyone will be in. And for that matter, it's not even certain yet that we have to do it at all.
Yup, very frustrating. Unless they decided not to force us to apply for a new serial number, they should have put that process in place so we can prepare for registration.

They truly are incompetent and there is no accountability. If there was, maybe they would give a chit.
Old 03-03-2017, 6:23 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables

Quote:

They can't require us to request a serial number prior to registration but not make that process available until after the registration deadline. They would have to extend the registration window if that were the case.

I'm in the same boat as you with my AR pistol. Just waiting for the DOJ. Actually, my situation is a little different because I assigned it my own serial number and its already engraved. Unless something changes, I'll end up with 2 numbers on mine.
The problem was that whoever wrote the AW regs was ignorant of the timeline for the "Ghost Gun" law, which is the bill that requires a DOJ-assigned serial number on any gun that did not have a SN (and potentially, we don't know, logged into *a* database) prior to July 2018.

The DOJ AW regs were written as if the two laws both go into effect in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-04-2017, 8:14 AM

Mudcamper, I am thinking just like you! I check this thread everyday just see anything new that someone might have to say!

With the rifles, it is easier. You can go featureless! with pistols that were built years ago, before they changed the single shot exemption, it seems like you have to jump through flaming hoops of cow turds to try to remain legal.

They want photos to show it was built compliant.....years ago in a totally different compliant form that is different from what is compliant now! And the whole serial number thing!!

My ar pistols are getting turned into featureless rifles, as soon as I find the parts I want to use. My ak pistol will be in limbo I guess, I did a number on that one, and cant turn it into a rifle very easily.
"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
"Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.
Old 03-04-2017, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratroop View Post
Mudcamper, I am thinking just like you! I check this thread everyday just see anything new that someone might have to say!

With the rifles, it is easier. You can go featureless! with pistols that were built years ago, before they changed the single shot exemption, it seems like you have to jump through flaming hoops of cow turds to try to remain legal.

They want photos to show it was built compliant.....years ago in a totally different compliant form that is different from what is compliant now! And the whole serial number thing!!

My ar pistols are getting turned into featureless rifles, as soon as I find the parts I want to use. My ak pistol will be in limbo I guess, I did a number on that one, and cant turn it into a rifle very easily.
When/how did you obtain your AK pistol?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 AM

Man, DOJ is being a royal pain in the arse.

So to see how the system works, I submitted a volreg 3 weeks ago for a rifle built on one of these:

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/

Regular build, in a Hogue overmolded stock, 18" target barrel, etc. In other words, nothing 'odd', not a 'Charger' style build, etc.

Those rat bastards want L/R pics, close ups, they even demanded I show (with instrumentation) the depth of the markings. Mind you I electroetched the markings, and they are at least 1/16" deep (which is 20x deeper than they need to be). Sure, I have the tools to check and show, but WTF.

I sent them 3 pictures (L,R, and serial close-up), told them I wasn't spending a second more of my time on this, and if they wanted to reject the registration, then reject it. Then it really will be a 'ghost gun', along with everything else I might have otherwise put in their stupid system.

F'ing A, I am so fed up with this crap.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post

Those rat bastards want L/R pics, close ups, they even demanded I show (with instrumentation) the depth of the markings.
You would need a laser to measure that accurately.

Here a few of my store bought gun serial numbers. The worst of these are under 7 years old. All of these have numbers that fade to 0 thousands in depth.

Lay a fat human hair next to the serial number and explain that it is .003-.005. If the SN is deeper than the hair you're GTG.

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 03-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

A friend of mine had two homebuilt guns taken because they "looked suspicious". They had serial numbers that were electro etched. The guns were cleared BUT he could not get them back until the serial numbers were proven to be deep enough.
Mind you they didn't even need serial numbers. He was told that if they were not deep enough it would cost $1,500.00 EACH to get them engraved, WTF???
They were proven to be deep enough and he was still charged $180.00 each to get them back. They should have NEVER been taken in the first place!!!!!

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 03-04-2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
When/how did you obtain your AK pistol?
I built it, from an amd 65 kit, at least 8 years ago. probably longer. I followed the law of the land(at the time) and didnt think to document my build and take pictures for future legislation purposes.(which apparently wouldnt matter, because i would have to show proof of compliance with the law as it is written now! even though every thing that I did was 100% legal at the time!)

And I am pretty sure most folks here who have built guns, were not planning for this load of crap either!

Back when parts kits were still cheap, and contained barrels.

like I said, my ar pistols can become featureless rifles, but my ak pistol, because of my own doing, cannot easily be converted to anything.I could do it, but it would be the weirdest ak ever! you ever seen a barrel(extension) welded directly to the front sight post?
"Sporter" is what the drooling toothless inbred albino with the hacksaw thinks his newly created "dear riffel" is.
"Bubba" is what he and his ugly and ruined rifle really are.
First you are chopping up historic vintage rifles and sticking them in cheap and nasty looking plastic "dildo" stocks that look like some kind of futuristic sex toy that gay space aliens stick up each other's butts.
Next thing you know, you think "Deliverance" is a love story.
Old 03-04-2017, 9:24 PM
Veteran Member

This thread is chock full of constant conflicting information.

In addition to the conflicts between the new AW registration, and the "ghost gun" serialization requirements, and the unclear and unfinished and withdrawn regulations, for home built pistols you have the whole SSE1 vs SSE2 crap mixed in.

CockBottle is claiming in this thread that DOJ is now refusing to vol reg AR pistols due to SSE2, even if you built and converted it to semi during SSE1.

Last edited by MudCamper; 03-04-2017 at 9:28 PM..
Old 03-04-2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
This thread is chock full of constant conflicting information.
Because until the final DOJ regs are out and fully understood, the only currently available information is conflicting and unclear.

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-04-2017, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

I'll tell you my fear. The mix up of AW/ghost-gun/SSE2/delayed-late-regs will give the DOJ a way to reject any and all AR pistol AW registrations. Then they will turn around and demand you turn in your illegal firearm, or worse, send agents to your door to arrest you for manufacturing.
Old 03-04-2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you my fear. The mix up of AW/ghost-gun/SSE2/delayed-late-regs will give the DOJ a way to reject any and all AR pistol AW registrations. Then they will turn around and demand you turn in your illegal firearm, or worse, send agents to your door to arrest you for manufacturing.
Nobody is going to be knocking on doors... they simply don't have the resources for that.
If they deny an AW reg, then make it a fixed magazine and continue with your plans to exit California.

"Ghost guns" have until Jan 1 2019 to be compliant, so you still have a couple of years to escape.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nobody is going to be knocking on doors... they simply don't have the resources for that.
Ordinarily I would agree with you on that. But If you tell them, "Hey, here is my assault pistol that I manufactured illegally" (how they perceive it) I wonder if it is worth the risk of even trying. Don't get me wrong. I plan to register some rifles as AWs. I also plan to convert some rifles to featureless. It's the home-built non-serialized AW pre-SSE2 pistols I worry about.

Quote:
If they deny an AW reg, then make it a fixed magazine and continue with your plans to exit California.
Well, in addition to the fact that I hate those new break-open mag locks, it doesn't solve my other "ghost gun" problems.

Quote:
"Ghost guns" have until Jan 1 2019 to be compliant, so you still have a couple of years to escape.
If I could I would.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Well, in addition to the fact that I hate those new break-open mag locks, it doesn't solve my other "ghost gun" problems.
Ghost gun is an entirely different set of laws and the process is pretty well documented.
Legal engraving prior to July 1 2018 will be legal.

And there are options to the break-open mag lock.

More options will be available in coming months as well.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratroop View Post
I built it, from an amd 65 kit, at least 8 years ago. probably longer. I followed the law of the land(at the time) and didnt think to document my build and take pictures for future legislation purposes.(which apparently wouldnt matter, because i would have to show proof of compliance with the law as it is written now! even though every thing that I did was 100% legal at the time!)

And I am pretty sure most folks here who have built guns, were not planning for this load of crap either!

Back when parts kits were still cheap, and contained barrels.

like I said, my ar pistols can become featureless rifles, but my ak pistol, because of my own doing, cannot easily be converted to anything.I could do it, but it would be the weirdest ak ever! you ever seen a barrel(extension) welded directly to the front sight post?
Honestly, just put a serial on it now. Take some high res photos of it and explain in the comments section of the volreg your situation. Just bullet points. Don't write a biography. You could try doing SSEv2 with an AK or just explain why you didn't in the comments. Maybe put a wood block behind the bolt carrier or a aluminum rod in place of the recoil spring. Cut the top off a magazine and fill the mag with epoxy or something to make it a block.

Do you have any receipts or email invoices for the kit or receiver? I would attach those to the volreg if you have them.

Last edited by shaocaholica; 03-04-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Old 03-05-2017, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSpade View Post
You would need a laser to measure that accurately.

Here a few of my store bought gun serial numbers. The worst of these are under 7 years old. All of these have numbers that fade to 0 thousands in depth.

Lay a fat human hair next to the serial number and explain that it is .003-.005. If the SN is deeper than the hair you're GTG.
100% get your point(s), but I'm not taking the time to educate DOJ staff.

What I'd give for a down pillow, 5 gallons of warm pine sap, and 10 minutes alone with Kevin DeLeon.

*grumble*
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 03-05-2017, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Ordinarily I would agree with you on that. But If you tell them, "Hey, here is my assault pistol that I manufactured illegally" (how they perceive it) I wonder if it is worth the risk of even trying. Don't get me wrong. I plan to register some rifles as AWs. I also plan to convert some rifles to featureless. It's the home-built non-serialized AW pre-SSE2 pistols I worry about.
In the same boat, you and I.

And that boat is up sh*t creek without a paddle. Buh.
Old 03-06-2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus924 View Post
I am aware of the "Date Acquired" box.

Just wondering about the physical presence of an ARMaglock in the photograph.

I suppose it was legal in 2016 so they should allow the same grace period, even if its deemed non-compliant for 2017 regulations....
Update:
I submitted my volreg in early february on a few 80% pistols, with a ARMaglock in the photos i voluntarily provided.

Good news, I got a letter today for each of my entries, all are now "Recorded in my name in the department's automated firearms system"

Both Pistol config and Rifle config were submitted and approved. tool about 3-4 weeks to hear back.

Pistols didn't have gas tubes, but did have gas blocks. with standard AR pistol buffer tubes. Photos didnt really show if they were there or not, two far away shots (one of each side) and a third photo of the zoomed-in engraving.

I mentioned the single shot sled mag in my description, but didnt provide a photo of it, and it was never asked for a photo of it.

I did provide my handgun cert number on the pistols and the long gun cert on the rifle.

I described the assembly as "Single shot compliant" on the '14 firearms, and described the 2015 build as "new single shot"

Cal: interchangeable came back on the DOJ letter as 8888

Very VERY relieved, all these laws doubled my blood pressure for a while, good news is im starting to like my name on my firearms, any question on who built em at the range, and I can say "me"

I also feel less nervous about taking my AR Pistols out to range trips, The state knows I have em, and knows they have ARMaglocks and didn't say a peep about them ...
Old 03-07-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Update:

I submitted my volreg in early february on a few 80% pistols, with a ARMaglock in the photos i voluntarily provided.

Good news, I got a letter today for each of my entries, all are now "Recorded in my name in the department's automated firearms system"

Both Pistol config and Rifle config were submitted and approved. tool about 3-4 weeks to hear back.

Pistols didn't have gas tubes, but did have gas blocks. with standard AR pistol buffer tubes. Photos didnt really show if they were there or not, two far away shots (one of each side) and a third photo of the zoomed-in engraving.

I mentioned the single shot sled mag in my description, but didnt provide a photo of it, and it was never asked for a photo of it.

I did provide my handgun cert number on the pistols and the long gun cert on the rifle.

I described the assembly as "Single shot compliant" on the '14 firearms, and described the 2015 build as "new single shot"

Very VERY relieved, all these laws doubled my blood pressure for a while, good news is im starting to like my name on my firearms, any question on who built em at the range, and I can say "me"

I also feel less nervous about taking my AR Pistols out to range trips, The state knows I have em, and knows they have ARMaglocks and didn't say a peep about them ...

Did your status online change from in progress? Mine has been in progress for over 3 months now so I called DOJ. They were unable to tell me if something had been mailed out yet or not and once it was completed the status would change on the CFARS website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Update:

What did you put in for 'date acquired'? Technically, if the date acquired is before 1/1/2017 even if the VolReg submission is past 1/1/2017, if DoJ accepts it then it should qualify for AW reg.
Old 03-07-2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicor View Post
Did your status online change from in progress? Mine has been in progress for over 3 months now so I called DOJ. They were unable to tell me if something had been mailed out yet or not and once it was completed the status would change on the CFARS website.
CFARS site shows "In-Progress" for all entries, and this is consistent to others from what I read. Whoever told you the status should be changed as soon as it is processed may have been telling you what they "THOUGHT" was true.... or maybe theres still internal filing that needs to be complete before they consider it "Completed" but the letter from the DoJ leads me to believe the registration is complete, regardless of what the online "Transaction History" tells me.

Quote:
What did you put in for 'date acquired'? Technically, if the date acquired is before 1/1/2017 even if the VolReg submission is past 1/1/2017, if DoJ accepts it then it should qualify for AW reg.
I put the closest dates I could to initial assembly (I had some receipts from parts in email for reference)

a couple in 2014, a couple in 2015

Even if reg them is an option, I DOUBT I would. If the ARMaglock is accepted (who the heck knows at this point) then I will be happy with that configuration. I barely take out the pistols to shoot. Not near as much as my featureless rifles with standard mag releases....
If nothing else, it will be cool to be able to pass these on to my kids. MIGHT still be an option on VolReg PRE '19 home builds, where it looks like its clearly NOT for AW, and probably not for post '19 home builds...
Old 03-07-2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicor View Post

All of mine still say in progress -- including ALL of the ones I received a letter saying t was registered and competed.

So basically, it always says in progress.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks Maximus924 for posting your home-build registration experience with DOJ. Good Info

CA Legal 80% Handgun Build Compliance Kits
Polymer80 50cal Beowulf Magazines (10 Round California Legal)
Compatible with: Glock 17 (PF940v1 + v2), Glock 19 (PF940C), Lone Wolf Timberwolf Frames, Sig P320, and more! Email us for details info@inlanderarms.com
Old 03-08-2017, 5:58 PM

Due to the growing size of this thread, it's getting harder to determine what is currently required. Can we get the original post updated with that info?
Old 03-10-2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlander Arms View Post
Thanks Maximus924 for posting your home-build registration experience with DOJ. Good Info
No P, I couldn't find any "POST 2016" data on volreg results so I figured I would throw down my experience. Hope it helps some people out, and encourages people to cover their butts before these ghost gun laws go into effect....

I forgot to mention, but I went by the letter of the new regs as far as the engraving and didnt get "cute" with the serial numbers, they were just generic 7 didget (I made up a number of didgets to use) number, and they were sequential (XXXXX01, XXXXX02, XXXXX03 XXXXX04)

Engraving was setup in this format:

[FIRST NAME] [LAST NAME]
[CITY], CA
MOD: [MADE UP MODEL NAME]
CAL: MULTI
[SERIAL]

An random generic example of this layout is:

JOHN DOE
OAKLAND, CA
MOD: OK-15
CAL: MULTI

Last edited by Maximus924; 03-10-2017 at 3:42 PM..
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Update:

Nice, I guess this confirms ARMaglocks are gtg too
Old 03-14-2017, 7:30 PM

Just wondering what kind of people working in the bureau? What background do they have? Do they understand firearms before they got the job or they just receive training from the bureau?

I have this question because from posts about volreg feedback. It looks like the reviewer/approver does not know much about firearms. Their replies are mostly about process. If the reviewer understand firearms, they will definitely ask questions about single shot mechanism but I don't see any. I guess DOJ just don't want to hire well-knowledged people to process/review these documents(or don't have the resource). Otherwise, they just trust submitters like we really have a honor system.
Old 03-18-2017, 1:11 AM
retired Goon

Default off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshade0227 View Post
Just wondering what kind of people working in the bureau?
CA Gov employees.

Union requires hiring from other CA Gov jobs before hiring outside.
If a CA Gov employee wants the job (due to higher pay then current job) and has no experience, then they will get hired over a person with years of experience but not working for the CA Gov.

Quote:
What background do they have?
Work experience in other CA Gov jobs.

Quote:
Do they understand firearms before they got the job or they just receive training from the bureau?
For non-technical (admin/enforcement), no understanding needed.
For technical (lab tech/forensics), understanding needed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 03-18-2017 at 1:13 AM..
Old 03-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Union requires hiring from other CA Gov jobs before hiring outside.
If a CA Gov employee wants the job (due to higher pay then current job) and has no experience, then they will get hired over a person with years of experience but not working for the CA Gov.
Not exactly.

They get promotability points and seniority points (veterans also get points, whether they are from inside or outside), but the current employee does not automatically move to the front of the line.
They go through a basic written test (or supplemental questions on the initial application that are effectively essay questions).
They must score 70% or higher. "Points" don't matter here... 500 people apply, the top 6-18 move on whether from inside or outside.
They then move to the panel interview.
Same story... If the panel rates them below 70% they are automatically DQ'd. Also, civil service rules require that all panelists rate within 10% of each other, so if one panelist rates them at 65 to DQ them and another rates them at 95, the panel will deliberate, and if the rating can not be resolved, the panel is excused and the candidates are called back with a new panel.

This is all to prevent nepotism. The final supervisor is not even involved to this point. The panelists are from another agency.

NOW is where the points come in.
The panel will move the top 3-6 candidates on to the final interview.
This is where someone with promotability and seniority points can move past someone from outside.
But... If the panel scores them below 70, they can have 40 "points" (if that's possible) and it won't move them forward.

Yes, sometimes someone slips through who doesn't know crap from Shinola, and it's usually because nobody else was qualified, the job spec and tests were poorly written so decent people were DQ'd, or perhaps the #1 and #2 preferred candidates from the final interview didn't clear background or turned the job down.

That's why there is a probationary period... 6 months for a promotion/lateral move and 1 year for a new hire. During this period, there is very little union protection and the supervisor can easily either terminate (a new hire) or "fail" the transfer and they go back to their old job.
The supervisor then has the option of hiring #2 from the final interview, or they can leave the position vacant for 6 months and start a new recruitment process.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2017, 5:22 PM

This thread has grown to so many comments and conflicting opinions that it's hard to dig through all the pages, so please forgive me if this has been answered already. I really did try searching before posting.

So, I can't realistically keep any polymer 80% lowers I've completed in the past, is that right? There's really no good way to permanently attach a stainless steel plate for the serial as will be required. All home-brew polymer lowers have to be trashed (by which I mean surrendered to LE) in 2018?

I don't suppose CA will reimburse me for their fair market value, then?

Last edited by NonoJoJo; 03-20-2017 at 5:39 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 5:24 PM

Just engrave them and register. See what happens. If they allow it then it'll hard to take back.