Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-09-2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
On the renewal front, I submitted my complete package on January 23rd. As of today (2/8), it still lists as "Status Pending" on the "Order Tracker" website.

Will update when I hear something.

I received an email this evening notifying me that my renewal has been completed, and letting me know when I can pick it up. Took 45 days from application submission to approval, and it will take another 5 days before I can pick it up (pick ups on Tuesdays and Thursdays only).
Old 03-09-2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwork4ammo View Post
Just an update on renewals.

Submitted renewal paperwork : January 13
Permit Expired : February 8
Approval email received and permit ready for pickup : March 7

I received an email from their office just before completion that "the permit they currently use only allows for 3 weapons" and I would need to drop 1. For giggles I had qualified with my Springfield 1911 just because of the recent change to allow 5 weapons. Guess that's null and void until the get the new plastic cards going.

Just glad to be able to carry again.
I submitted my renewal paperwork on January 23rd, and got my approval email on March 9.

Looks like they moved through 10 days worth of renewals in 2 days ... I like the direction they're moving.
Old 03-09-2017, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
In light of the delays, is it worthwhile - or even workable - to submit the application without any of the supporting documents? As in, without the qualifications or proof of residency? Seems like that might get the application in line for earlier processing. Or maybe it would condemn it to some electronic hell.
I don't know if the application will finalize and allow purchase without the firearms listed and the proof of residences uploaded, so that could be a constraint. If it works, we've shown that the after-the-fact uploads on the tracking section allow later inclusion of information.

But, with the speed with which they are moving on renewals, it may not be worth it.
Old 03-09-2017, 7:55 PM

Sorry if asked million times, but I did not see anything posted.

My CCW expires in 3 months. Can I start booking a renewal appointment and schedule my 4 hour refresher now?
Old 03-09-2017, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpeal View Post
Sorry if asked million times, but I did not see anything posted.

My CCW expires in 3 months. Can I start booking a renewal appointment and schedule my 4 hour refresher now?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...postcount=3724
Old 03-12-2017, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapped View Post
I had my appointment on 1/26. After the interview I was given the pre-filled out Live Scan paper. I was told that it should only take about 10 days to receive approval so I should just wait to do the Live Scan since it is non-refundable. He did say I could do it before it I wanted to risk the $$$. After 30 days of waiting I decided to just go ahead and get it done to get that ball rolling and hope for the best. I am assuming they are going through the backlog of renewals before getting to new apps which is delaying the approval email.
My initial appointment was 1/26, and I haven't received confirmation of approval yet, I was curious if anyone else that had an appointment around 1/26 has received their approval email yet?
Old 03-12-2017, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysmith925 View Post
My initial appointment was 1/26, and I haven't received confirmation of approval yet, I was curious if anyone else that had an appointment around 1/26 has received their approval email yet?
This seems too long. Call or email the office and ask for status.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:24 AM

I am also still waiting.
Old 03-12-2017, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Just came back from renewal.

Jan 22: Submitted Application
Feb 22: License Expired
Mar 9 (Today):
-11:31 -- Received email from Sac CCW reviewer stating they were finalizing review, but, because they were still using paper licenses, only three guns were allowed. Which of the five I submitted did I want to omit?
-12:29 -- Was able to respond with email and identified guns to be removed.
-12:45 -- Received confirmation email that license would be ready for pick up between 1:30 and 4, today.
-1:25 -- Appeared at the offices for issuance.
-1:45 -- Walked out with new license (The Permitium system wasn't printing, so the deputy typed it on the old system and printed it out).

What I learned:

1. New Licensing System. The Permitium system is almost completely FUBAB. (Fouled Up Beyond All Belief).

2. The ability to add documents after submittal WORKS!!! When I submitted my application, I printed out the submitted copy. None of the background items were recorded on the form, and some of the questions had the wrong answer. Using the upload feature on the Order Tracker, I submitted a statement with itemized corrective information, and it appears to have worked.

Also, using the same Order Tracker process, I added two guns after initial submission bringing my total to 5. SSD's contact with me requiring me to drop two proves the information got through and was applied to the application after submittal.

3. System Glitches. As a part of the review, the deputy entered into the Permitium system that I needed to drop two guns, and the application would pend until I provided the information.

The Permitium system sent me an e-mail stating that my background investigation had revealed I had a, "pending charge that requires additional investigation." I needed to go the Clerk of Courts to get a disposition and bring it to the SSD office in a sealed Clerk of Court envelope.

The Permitium notice stated the "offense" was, "We've completed processing ...You need to decide which two guns to drop."

Essentially, the system is buggy and takes any recorded point of delay or request for information as an outstanding court charge.

I contacted the deputy by email, and she asked that I forward the email to her, as Permitium has been telling them that this issue was fixed.

4. When to disclose. Talked briefly about the "when to disclose" issue, and the deputies told me that Sac Sheriff enters our names into the "known persons" file (right along with the other criminals). The DL search doesn't automatically interface with this, but any law enforcement agency that searches you in the file will return a CCW license. I asked, "CHP, too?", and was told (with eyes rolling), "Yes, if they even bother to check."

So, armed or not, if you are stopped, there is a probability that running your name through the system will disclose your license to the officer. If you haven't previously told the officer that you have a license, but no gun, they may have some concerns. Proceed at your own risk.

5. Lamination. The license lamination material is designed to be used to cover ID badges, and has a slit in it to accommodate a clip (NOT a magazine...).

The clip slit runs across the edge of the license, so the paper is exposed to the elements. Trimming the license to fit wallets may cut through in a way which could de-laminate the document. (First World Problems)

6. 3 guns, not 5. As noted above, I was contacted to drop two of the five guns on the application. The paper license only carries 3.

7. Staff The staff continue to be positive and supportive. They are making the system work in spite of its shortcomings.
Assuming this is all true someone should politely suggest that Sheriff Jones ask for accountability from his vendor. And quick!
Old 03-12-2017, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
Assuming this is all true someone should politely suggest that Sheriff Jones ask for accountability from his vendor. And quick!
"Assuming this is all true?"

Oh, I left out one other thing.

The date of issue is the new start date, and the expiration date is a full 24 months out.
Old 03-13-2017, 8:24 AM

Quote:
This seems too long. Call or email the office and ask for status.
I sent an email inquiring about the status of my application, and received the below response from them this morning.

"We apologize but CCW Staff is unable to personally answer emails/telephone calls due to our work backlog. Please refer to the attached list of frequently asked questions for your response. Thank you for your patience."

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58c6c7d56e0ca/FAQ%27S.doc

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 8:00 AM

I am on Day 50 of my renewal and it is still processing...I have given up all hope at this point. I ask that god have mercy on my soul and that I am taken quickly. (Is that too dramatic?) But in all seriousness has anybody waited any longer than 50 days???
Old 03-14-2017, 8:12 AM

When I picked up my issuance permit a couple of weeks ago, the officer assisting me stressed emphatically to start my renewal early and to get it in 60 days before it expires. Sounds like even though they have attempted to speed up the process of renewal by making it an automated process, it is still causing a backlog during review/approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansu View Post
I am on Day 50 of my renewal and it is still processing...I have given up all hope at this point. I ask that god have mercy on my soul and that I am taken quickly. (Is that too dramatic?) But in all seriousness has anybody waited any longer than 50 days???
I submitted my stuff on 1/23/17, and was contacted about my renewal on 3/9 -- that's 45 days. Because pick-ups are only allowed on Tuesdays and Thursdays within a certain window, I wasn't allowed to pick up my permit until this morning. A total of 50 days from submission to permit in hand.

When did you submit your package online? Was it complete?
Old 03-14-2017, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
I submitted my stuff on 1/23/17, and was contacted about my renewal on 3/9 -- that's 45 days. Because pick-ups are only allowed on Tuesdays and Thursdays within a certain window, I wasn't allowed to pick up my permit until this morning. A total of 50 days from submission to permit in hand.

When did you submit your package online? Was it complete?
I submitted 01/23/17 at 7:30am, it was complete. I hate to call them since they are so busy but I may have to.
Old 03-14-2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
I submitted 01/23/17 at 7:30am, it was complete. I hate to call them since they are so busy but I may have to.
The guy that helped me out this morning says their working through the backlog, but it's still pretty deep.

Another thought, I think they are assigned to an individual to process the batch, and one processor may be a little faster than another. It's reasonably possible that two people submitting on the same day and time could be separated by a week or more by the time the processors get to them. I don't know that the system works that way, but it's possible.

Either way, I'd give it a few more days, but it's up to you. If you don't hear by the end of the week, I'd give them a call.
Old 03-14-2017, 3:46 PM

Default Long Delay -- possible Yahoo email issue

Several posters have mentioned waiting abnormally long lengths of time waiting for the Sheriff's DOJ/determination email to arrive. My solution was to call and the officer that I spoke to determined that my yahoo email address had blocked their email. While on the phone, he attached the determination letter as a pdf file and emailed it to me - and it came through instantly (nice service from a very busy office). I checked my junk email folder and there was nothing from the Sheriff's office. I was informed that there have been other yahoo email address issues, though not many.

So, it may be a good idea to follow up with a call. You never know, they may pick up and be able to help out.
Old 03-15-2017, 9:19 PM

2/1 and the website shows its still in processing. Looks like many are in the same boat. Hopefully we hear soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 9:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I submitted online on 2/3. Received confirmation email 3/14 - Picked up CCW this morning...

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 03-16-2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet-wyatt View Post
I submitted online on 2/3. Received confirmation email 3/14 - Picked up CCW this morning...
please clarify because you can't possibly mean your entirE application start to finish took only one month and 11 days, right?
Old 03-17-2017, 7:48 AM

Smile

Quote:
"Assuming this is all true?"

Oh, I left out one other thing.

The date of issue is the new start date, and the expiration date is a full 24 months out.
I DID assume what you said was true - which is why the Sheriff needs to be up someone's Hiney!
Old 03-17-2017, 7:56 AM

Default Update

Today is 2 months since I paid fees and applied for my add/mod.

Still says "assigned to Processor/Processing"

I think I figured out which gun to take off...of course, if they get the "credit card" functionality fixed they'll be able to accommodate 5 as they originally announced - right?
Old 03-17-2017, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I DID assume what you said was true - which is why the Sheriff needs to be up someone's Hiney!
I suspect, based on Permitium's presence in the market, that SSD issued a sole-source contract which cuts out the red tape of competition, but usually has a limited ceiling for the spend. SSD's driving requirement appears to have been a Jan 1 launch date, but historically, date-driven projects are susceptible to design flaws.

As in all things, vendors will promise you can have it "Fast, Cheap and Good....pick two."

This system was fast and cheap.

Change orders, and system enhancements will now creep the scope and provide additional funding to the vendor. Eventually, everything will be in place and operating smoothly.

Until then, SSD staff have to manually intervene in the system to make it work. That requires workload prioritizing, and reduced service. As we've seen in the past, mods get sidelined first.

Staff told me that the new cards won't be out until the OAG issues the template. Until then, we get the paper product which is folded and laminated, limiting gun space to only 3.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Today is 2 months since I paid fees and applied for my add/mod.

Still says "assigned to Processor/Processing"

I think I figured out which gun to take off...of course, if they get the "credit card" functionality fixed they'll be able to accommodate 5 as they originally announced - right?

This will sound crazy, but call from your cell phone and let it ring until they answer. Mine was stuck too and 53 days in. So I called told him I applied in January, he said all of January should have been handled. He asked for my name and 3 hours later I got the automated call that it was ready to be picked up.
Old 03-17-2017, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This will sound crazy, but call from your cell phone and let it ring until they answer. Mine was stuck too and 53 days in. So I called told him I applied in January, he said all of January should have been handled. He asked for my name and 3 hours later I got the automated call that it was ready to be picked up.
Are they treating modifications to an existing license on an equal footing as renewals?
Old 03-17-2017, 6:23 PM

Interview: 10/25/2016
Approval: 11/29/2016
Live Scan: 12/8/2016
CCW Training: 01/14 +15/2017
Live Scan Approval: 02/15/2017
Final Appointment: 03/17/2017
Got my Permit: 03/17/2017
Old 03-17-2017, 9:24 PM

Do you guys get your permit during the issuance appointment or do they mail it to you?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:34 PM

At the issuance appointment
Old 03-18-2017, 6:45 AM

im on 60 days.... so you guys are not alone (early Jan)
Old 03-19-2017, 7:12 AM

You should call inoii. As someone said earlier they have worked through all of January's applications.
Old 03-19-2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
I suspect, based on Permitium's presence in the market, that SSD issued a sole-source contract which cuts out the red tape of competition, but usually has a limited ceiling for the spend. SSD's driving requirement appears to have been a Jan 1 launch date, but historically, date-driven projects are susceptible to design flaws.

As in all things, vendors will promise you can have it "Fast, Cheap and Good....pick two."

This system was fast and cheap.

Change orders, and system enhancements will now creep the scope and provide additional funding to the vendor. Eventually, everything will be in place and operating smoothly.

Until then, SSD staff have to manually intervene in the system to make it work. That requires workload prioritizing, and reduced service. As we've seen in the past, mods get sidelined first.

Staff told me that the new cards won't be out until the OAG issues the template. Until then, we get the paper product which is folded and laminated, limiting gun space to only 3.
Having spent 20 years as a government technology sales,implemenetations and operations I understand unfolding of events as you describe.

All totally unnecessary. There is no reason to have to accept poor functionality - this solution is simply not very complicated compared to existing legacy document management solutions you can find in multiple departments in every County in California being delivered inexpensively. I'd be happy to volunteer as a tech consultant to the Sheriffs IT people. Any vendor that allows a customer to announce functionality and features (knowing they don't exist as contracted) is setting themselves and their client up for exactly the kind of public exchange we are engaging in here and reflects badly on both parties.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:15 PM

So, it seems like they are currently just working on renewals? Anyone recieved an approval email for a new permit with the new system?
Old 03-20-2017, 4:26 AM

Quote:
So, it seems like they are currently just working on renewals? Anyone recieved an approval email for a new permit with the new system?
yeah thats what im thinking as well *renewals
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

Jan 29: Submitted renewal application online.
Mar 14: Received email saying permit is done and ready to pick up.

That's a little over 6 weeks.
Old 03-20-2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Are they treating modifications to an existing license on an equal footing as renewals?
Sorry, I do not know.
Old 03-21-2017, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoii View Post
im on 60 days.... so you guys are not alone (early Jan)
Quote:
Had my interview Jan 18, 2017 for new CCW....... No Word Yet
Old 03-21-2017, 1:41 PM

I would think renewals have a priority because they have fixed deadlines attached. New applications and modifications don't other than the qualifications getting stale.
Old 03-21-2017, 8:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
please clarify because you can't possibly mean your entirE application start to finish took only one month and 11 days, right?
Sorry for the late response...

This was a RENEWAL license...

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:22 PM

I moved to Sac County in Nov and finally had the chance to go to the DMV today and apply for a new DL with my Sac County address. I also had to take my primary carry pistol to an FFL to transfer into my name from my mom who was visiting here from out of state. My question is, should I wait for either of these things to finalize prior to submitting my app or can I submit today? I have my old DL with a hole punched in it and an interim DL with my new address on it. I assume the pistol is not officially in my name yet either but I don't know if these things are electronically verified upon submitting the app or not. Any advice?
Old 03-22-2017, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
I moved to Sac County in Nov and finally had the chance to go to the DMV today and apply for a new DL with my Sac County address. I also had to take my primary carry pistol to an FFL to transfer into my name from my mom who was visiting here from out of state. My question is, should I wait for either of these things to finalize prior to submitting my app or can I submit today? I have my old DL with a hole punched in it and an interim DL with my new address on it. I assume the pistol is not officially in my name yet either but I don't know if these things are electronically verified upon submitting the app or not. Any advice?
Get in line now. Apply now. Submit info on the gun. Submit temp DL. Provide other docs as you get them. There will be plenty of time when you're waiting for review and livescan. Hopefully, you used a personal check and kept a copy of the transfer paperwork. DOJ will cash the check well before you get acknowledgment from them.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-22-2017 at 2:27 PM..