Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 03-19-2017, 4:22 PM

Question Water Storage for Long Drives

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to store at least 5 gallons of water in a vehicle with a drinking tube similar to hydration packs used for outdoor activities?

I was thinking of taking either a 5 gallon water jug for coolers or something like an Igloo beverage container, buying a spare 3ft bladder hose (Camelbak for example) and attach/elongate it enough so I could drink from it. I would likely have it behind the passenger seat as there is a lot more room than behind the drivers seat.

To summarize, I drive a Prius and drive long distances daily due to school and a small business I own. Hydration has been an ongoing issue as I have enough room for a 3L jug up front with two 1 gallon bottles in the back far out of my reach. Due to the size of the car I only have so much space to tip the bottle and typically either buy another gallon bottle or refill somewhere every 1-2 days.
Old 03-19-2017, 4:26 PM

Maybe just get checked for diabetes
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.
Old 03-19-2017, 4:29 PM
Free You Know Who
CGN Contributor

Something like this, but add a bite valve?

https://smile.amazon.com/AcTopp-Ligh...+water+bladder
Old 03-19-2017, 4:39 PM

@eviioiive, no health issues to speak of. The work is mostly physical labor for long periods of time which is why I am looking capacity for hydration.

@Gary, good idea. I'll keep this in mind. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2017, 4:50 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You're going to have to stop to drain the main vein after a couple liters anyway, why not refill at that time?

It's a good idea to get out of the car periodically anyway to move your legs or you're in danger of throwing a clot. Google "Deep Vein Thrombosis." That rest break is the perfect time to refill.

Personally I hate refilling on a long drive so I always hit Costco ahead of time for a case or two of purified bottled water and a case of Gatorade. These are easy to drink from while driving. If you freeze some of them before the trip they'll keep your cooler cool inside without needing to buy a bag of ice.

The plus side of using the Gatorade bottles is you can get the kind with the wide mouth and use the empties as an emergency porta-john if you can't find a decent restroom enroute.

-Mark
Old 03-19-2017, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Something like this, but add a bite valve?

https://smile.amazon.com/AcTopp-Ligh...+water+bladder
That's what I was thinking, plus you could sit on it, giving you hydro comfort plus pressurizing the water.

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 03-19-2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
You're going to have to stop to drain the main vein after a couple liters anyway, why not refill at that time?

It's a good idea to get out of the car periodically anyway to move your legs or you're in danger of throwing a clot. Google "Deep Vein Thrombosis." That rest break is the perfect time to refill.

Personally I hate refilling on a long drive so I always hit Costco ahead of time for a case or two of purified bottled water and a case of Gatorade. These are easy to drink from while driving. If you freeze some of them before the trip they'll keep your cooler cool inside without needing to buy a bag of ice.

The plus side of using the Gatorade bottles is you can get the kind with the wide mouth and use the empties as an emergency porta-john if you can't find a decent restroom enroute.

-Mark
You make very fine points. I think I may have left out some information regarding what I do exactly. On average I am driving between 45 minutes - 1.5 hours before I am standing on my feet walking around, bending into corners and moving similar to a low intensity workout. Bathrooms are available where I am at and in public places I drive past. Funny enough I have a wide mouth orange juice bottle I use as a makeshift restroom in case of emergencies.

Really what I am trying to do is reduce the amount of times I refill. Based on how much I drink 5 gallons would last me a week as I drink between 2L - 3L daily.

I want to add I have seen drinking hose extension kits for Camelbak hoses. Maybe if I was able to extend it enough I could either fit it into/on the spigot of the water beverage coolers or create a hold just large enough and seal it up.

Apologies if I am making this a bit more complicated than it seems and thank you for the help so far.
Old 03-19-2017, 5:29 PM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theme57 View Post
You make very fine points. I think I may have left out some information regarding what I do exactly. On average I am driving between 45 minutes - 1.5 hours before I am standing on my feet walking around, bending into corners and moving similar to a low intensity workout. Bathrooms are available where I am at and in public places I drive past. Funny enough I have a wide mouth orange juice bottle I use as a makeshift restroom in case of emergencies.

Really what I am trying to do is reduce the amount of times I refill. Based on how much I drink 5 gallons would last me a week as I drink between 2L - 3L daily.

I want to add I have seen drinking hose extension kits for Camelbak hoses. Maybe if I was able to extend it enough I could either fit it into/on the spigot of the water beverage coolers or create a hold just large enough and seal it up.

Apologies if I am making this a bit more complicated than it seems and thank you for the help so far.
OK that makes sense. Easy to rig something up if you're handy. I rigged something similar when I was riding recumbent bike long distance, though mine was a bicycle helmet cooler. Should probably have patented it.

Parts List:
5 gal igloo beverage cooler.
12V automotive windshield washer pump (new).
4-5 feet of food grade rubber tubing (sized to fit the OD of the washer pump fittings)
12V Normally open SPST pushbutton switch.
3-4 feet of 14 gage insulated copper wire
Fused automotive cigar lighter plug with lead wires
Camelbak bite valve.

Construction:
Drill a hole in the top of the Igloo beverage cooler bit bigger than the OD on the plastic tubing. Drill another smaller vent hole elsewhere in the lid, maybe 1/8".

Cut the tubing into two lengths. One length about the height of the igloo cooler. Attach this shorter end to the inlet of the pump.

Attach the bite valve to the other piece of tubing, and the other end of that tubing to the outlet of the pump.

Mount the pump to the top of the cooler lid using screws, duct tape, or epoxy as you see fit.

Wire the switch in series with the pump and the 12V supply from the cigar lighter plug and wired such that the switch can be located a couple feet away from the pump.

Usage:
Set the igloo beverage cooler on the floor in the back of the vehicle.
Fill with ice water.
Place the lid on the cooler with the pump inlet rubber tube extending to just near the bottom of the beverage cooler, but not touching the bottom.
Situate the switch and the other rubber tube with the bite valve near your driving position.
When you need a drink, place the bite valve in your mouth, bite down, and hit the switch. Cool water will be pumped for your drinking pleasure.

-Mark
Old 03-19-2017, 5:37 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I'd tend to still want to refill daily. Gives more chance and opportunity to keep the containers clean and bacteria free.
Old 03-19-2017, 5:38 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables

Remember hydraulic head.

You are going to have a hard time drawing water from a cooler on the floor.
3ft of water pressure without equalizing is enough to cause middle ear damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-19-2017, 5:49 PM

Hang a Camelbak on the back of each seat. The Tubes will reach.
OTR trucker here. 3,200 miles each week.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
OK that makes sense. Easy to rig something up if you're handy. I rigged something similar when I was riding recumbent bike long distance, though mine was a bicycle helmet cooler. Should probably have patented it.

Parts List:
5 gal igloo beverage cooler.
12V automotive windshield washer pump (new).
4-5 feet of food grade rubber tubing (sized to fit the OD of the washer pump fittings)
12V Normally open SPST pushbutton switch.
3-4 feet of 14 gage insulated copper wire
Fused automotive cigar lighter plug with lead wires
Camelbak bite valve.

Construction:
Drill a hole in the top of the Igloo beverage cooler bit bigger than the OD on the plastic tubing. Drill another smaller vent hole elsewhere in the lid, maybe 1/8".

Cut the tubing into two lengths. One length about the height of the igloo cooler. Attach this shorter end to the inlet of the pump.

Attach the bite valve to the other piece of tubing, and the other end of that tubing to the outlet of the pump.

Mount the pump to the top of the cooler lid using screws, duct tape, or epoxy as you see fit.

Wire the switch in series with the pump and the 12V supply from the cigar lighter plug and wired such that the switch can be located a couple feet away from the pump.

Usage:
Set the igloo beverage cooler on the floor in the back of the vehicle.
Fill with ice water.
Place the lid on the cooler with the pump inlet rubber tube extending to just near the bottom of the beverage cooler, but not touching the bottom.
Situate the switch and the other rubber tube with the bite valve near your driving position.
When you need a drink, place the bite valve in your mouth, bite down, and hit the switch. Cool water will be pumped for your drinking pleasure.

-Mark
I love your idea! If I may suggest as well...

Igloo Beverage Cooler (w/ the spigot on the bottom)
Spare Spigot From Igloo
Camelbak Quicklink Conversion
Drinking tube w/ bite valve
(Maybe) Water Filtration device

The idea is to modify the spare spigot to accept the quicklink system without any leaking issues. Then I attach a hose to the cooler itself with a long enough hose. I could even extend the hose depending on if I need the water filter which I could attach somewhere in the vehicle so I don't have a long cord flopping around. As far as the spigot goes if it proves a bit too much for my abilities I could spend a little extra cash to have a 3D print shop or plastics shop make it to fit, maybe with a 90 degree spigot so if I wanted to snap on the Camelbak filter it wouldn't stick out and cause a problem.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
Maybe just get checked for diabetes

Good one
Old 03-24-2017, 6:15 PM

Switch from Camelbak to Geigerrig hydration bladders. They pressurize with a small squeeze bulb and will pump the water to the bite valve from the floor without a problem.
Old 03-24-2017, 6:50 PM

Just get a 3L camelback and refill it daily. You don't want to drink water sloshing around a plastic jug in your hot car for a week. It'll taste pretty nasty I'd think. You're overcomplicating it.
Old 03-25-2017, 2:39 AM
Veteran Member

just buy and reuse the 1 quart water bottles, keep four or five of them in the cage.
wash them out when you get home. let dry over night, then refill.
want ice water fill 3/4 full place in the freezer.

easy to deal with, fits most cup holders. and can last for months. ( longer? ).
and super cheap. and twice as easy to replace.
Old 03-25-2017, 8:50 AM

what happen to just buying a small cooler and every day dropping in a few bottles of water and adding some ice to keep your beverage cool? It is a lot more sanitary. I use to drive 14 hour days and in between stops at the gas stations and meals I always get enough water. A lot of the fast food joints will even let you do a few ice dumps if you ask ahead of time.
Old 03-25-2017, 6:53 PM

Why not just a case of water bottles on the passenger seat? Seems simple to me.

When the wife and I travel, we just buy a case of bottles. Way cheaper than buying individuals as you need them.

I also drink them room temperature. Don't need nor want them cold. Way easier to drink room temperature water than cold.
Old 03-25-2017, 9:21 PM

Nasty ol bladders, hoses and bite valves. Eeeww.

I would not want to use one in the manner you have described.

I like hydration packs and have used them for biking since the early 90’s. But they can get nasty, real quick.

Simply fill a gallon jug with water every day and use it to fill a smaller water bottle throughout the day.
Old 03-25-2017, 9:42 PM
CalGuns Minister of Truth
CGN Contributor

Case of water from Costco?
Old 03-26-2017, 7:46 AM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

If you can't tip the bottle to drink well enough from ... which amuses me more than I can say ... why not just put a straw in it.
Extra bottles go on floor or in little cooler.
Old 03-26-2017, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theme57 View Post
I love your idea! If I may suggest as well...

Igloo Beverage Cooler (w/ the spigot on the bottom)
Spare Spigot From Igloo
Camelbak Quicklink Conversion
Drinking tube w/ bite valve
(Maybe) Water Filtration device

The idea is to modify the spare spigot to accept the quicklink system without any leaking issues. Then I attach a hose to the cooler itself with a long enough hose. I could even extend the hose depending on if I need the water filter which I could attach somewhere in the vehicle so I don't have a long cord flopping around. As far as the spigot goes if it proves a bit too much for my abilities I could spend a little extra cash to have a 3D print shop or plastics shop make it to fit, maybe with a 90 degree spigot so if I wanted to snap on the Camelbak filter it wouldn't stick out and cause a problem.
use one of these and skip trying to modify something. They come in different outlet sizes as well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chi...3099/300254028

Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Los Deplorables
CGN Contributor

I had an old Cadillac when I was a teenager. I ran the windshield wiper hoses thru the dash, and put Vodka in the reservoir.
Just a thought.
Stay thirsty my friends...
Old 03-26-2017, 12:08 PM

Camelbak makes exactly what you're looking for. Just hang it from your HMMWV roll bar.... um, passenger headrest....
https://smile.amazon.com/CamelBak-Sq.../dp/B002Q1HD4C

Since that's ridiculously spendy, how about this. If it doesn't screw onto standard water bottles, you can probably just punch the hose end through a gatorade cap...then "hang" the bottle from the dome light.
https://smile.amazon.com/MSR-Hydrati.../dp/B002IAGZKE
Old 03-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

-Mark
All excellent advice.
Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "