Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Palmetto State Armory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM

Default Issue with PSA 18" Rifle Length 223 Wylde Upper

PSA seems to have stopped answering emails since Christmas, so I'm hoping to get a response from PSA or anyone else who has experienced these issues.

Item 77932967

I received my new upper assembly on January 13 and shot it the next day using several different rounds. I discovered two issues:

1. IMI 5.56 55 gr: It shot and ejected normally, but I could not manually eject the round using the charging handle. It was stuck and I had to mortar it out. This happened every time using 3 different IMI rounds. No such problem with 223 rounds. Do you think this has something to do with the the Wylde barrel being out of spec for 5.56?

2. Norma USA 223 55 gr: I had consistent failure to feed. It looks like the bolt did not go all the way back. I'm using a carbine spring and buffer tube. No such issue with other 223 55 gr rounds (wolf, Pmc, IMI, American eagle) or the 5.56 IMI.
Old 01-18-2017, 2:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Please include your order number, or IM it to me, and I will get your email resolved.
Web Sales: 803.788.9095
socialmedia.info@palmettostatearmory.com
Old 01-24-2017, 9:48 AM

Default Contacted PSA

I missed the PSA response via this board so I bit the bullet and waited on hold. Their hold times are much shorter in the mornings (25 minutes) vs the afternoon (80 to 90 minutes). I am sending the upper back for inspection.

Last edited by xlrting; 01-24-2017 at 9:50 AM..
Old 01-24-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrting View Post
PSA seems to have stopped answering emails since Christmas, so I'm hoping to get a response from PSA or anyone else who has experienced these issues.

Item 77932967

I received my new upper assembly on January 13 and shot it the next day using several different rounds. I discovered two issues:

1. IMI 5.56 55 gr: It shot and ejected normally, but I could not manually eject the round using the charging handle. It was stuck and I had to mortar it out. This happened every time using 3 different IMI rounds. No such problem with 223 rounds. Do you think this has something to do with the the Wylde barrel being out of spec for 5.56?

2. Norma USA 223 55 gr: I had consistent failure to feed. It looks like the bolt did not go all the way back. I'm using a carbine spring and buffer tube. No such issue with other 223 55 gr rounds (wolf, Pmc, IMI, American eagle) or the 5.56 IMI.

Interesting, let us know how it turns out and what they determine the issue to be. I'm interested in this upper as well.
Old 02-02-2017, 7:52 AM

Tag

In an unarmed society, the armed criminal is king.
Old 02-14-2017, 9:20 AM

PSA got the rifle back on 2/2/17. I'm still waiting for an update from PSA. I just PM'd them.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Your rifle is in the repair department having further testing done at your request through telephone.

Thank you for your patience.
Web Sales: 803.788.9095
socialmedia.info@palmettostatearmory.com
Old 03-07-2017, 9:06 AM

Status update for those following this thread.
1. 2/2/17 - PSA received my defective upper
2. 2/13/17 - I called for a status update. Was told rifle was firing correctly. I had to remind them to read my return instructions. The problem wasn't with firing; it was with manually ejecting the round. They agreed to conduct further testing.
3. 2/27/17- I PM'd for a status update. Was told they could not replicate the issue. However, they did not test using the 3 types of (extremely common) ammo I specifically called out in my return form.
4. 2/28/17 - Since PSA could not replicate or resolve the issue, I requested via PM for them to send it back and provide a tracking number.
5. 3/7/17 - It's been a week and no response. PSA has had the upper for 33 days. I'd be happy to take a refund if PSA would like to hang on to the upper.
Old 03-07-2017, 9:10 AM

Is this your first AR?
Did you clean and lube the rifle before use?
Completely disassemble, clean, and lube the bolt carrier group?
Clean the chamber?
Try another bolt carrier group?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Default Good suggestions

Good suggestions but not my first AR. I've shot 10 different brands of 223/556 out of this upper with the issue happening consistently with 3 brands--but IMI 5.56 is the worst offender. Interestingly, IMI 223 was fine.

I suspect the IMI 5.56 or the upper tolerances are just a bit off. If/when I get it back, I will definitely lube it up and shoot some more IMI 5.56 to maybe "smooth out" the problem areas. I've never experienced this with any ARs in the past in terms of the round being stuck and can't be easily manually ejected. I've fired hundreds of IMI 5.56 through other Wylde and 5.56 barrels with no issues.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 PM

Some people have asked me to post how this worked out so here it is. PSA stands behind it's product, but not sure if I'd buy again from them due to all the time I spent. I don't mind the long repair time, but the lack of information and misinformation was maddening.

1. 2/2/17 - PSA received my defective upper
2. 3/15/17 - Got it back via UPS
3. 3/16/17 - Took it to the range

Pros
1. It took awhile but they changed the barrel--definitely fixed the problem
2. The upper shot well before--the new one shoots just as well (1 MOA with Fiocchi 50 gr varmint round)
3. Very helpful people if you can make contact

Cons
1. Long repair time - 6 weeks
2. Extremely poor communication
a. Never answered emails
b. Responded to PMs for awhile then radio silence in the last 2 weeks
c. Phone waits times of 30 minutes on average
3. After several weeks of waiting without word, I requested a refund which they approved. After a few days, I called them again and they said the item was on its way back to me arrivng....TODAY (I never got a shipment notice AND there was no history of me requesting a refund).
4. Probably sent 4 emails, 8 calgun posts/PMs and 4 phone calls over 6 weeks.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Sounds like a headspace issue.