Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-23-2012, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Compassionate Reassignment / Family hardship discharge

Ok , I need to rant a bit because because stress is catching up with me on this deployment.

Ill try to keep it short

1) Fiance and I split
2) Dad lost most of his balance/equilibrium from Chiari malformation
3) Moms cancer is getting the best of her and she lost use of her arm now

Dad is overwhelmed from trying to take care of mom , grandma (bedridden) and brother who is seriously failing school and might have to repeat 11th. I have sisters but one is no where to be found and the other never stops by because she has her own family now.

Do u think these are grounds for a compassionate reassignment? I know it sucks but Ft.Irwin the closest Ive got , Ive looked at the family hardship discharge but It feels like a cheap way out.

Any advice guys?
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

It certainly sounds like you have the case for a hardship deal, our head medic came home early from our deployment when her son had a mental breakdown, she was an only mother.

I would recommend you take this up your chain of command and let them know of the issues with the family, they may be able to make arraignments and or point you in the right direction on how to get stuff in motion. It may be that your dad or mom will have to contact the Red Cross and go from there.

Good luck bro. hang in there, I'm sure you already know but there are tons of resources out there to help you deal with the stress of all this, the vet center worked great for me and I know a number of guys in my unit made use of the counselors on the FOB during our deployment to deal with a number of various issues.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 PM

I don't know how the system works, but I'll pray for you and yours. Good luck and may you have Gods guidance and blessings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
It certainly sounds like you have the case for a hardship deal, our head medic came home early from our deployment when her son had a mental breakdown, she was an only mother.

I would recommend you take this up your chain of command and let them know of the issues with the family, they may be able to make arraignments and or point you in the right direction on how to get stuff in motion. It may be that your dad or mom will have to contact the Red Cross and go from there.

Good luck bro. hang in there, I'm sure you already know but there are tons of resources out there to help you deal with the stress of all this, the vet center worked great for me and I know a number of guys in my unit made use of the counselors on the FOB during our deployment to deal with a number of various issues.

^^^^THIS
I saw many go home for far less than you have described. Talk with your team leader and send it up the chain.
Thank you for your service and sacrifice. Hope that things get better until you can get back.
Old 07-24-2012, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

Do you want to get discharged? I may opt for a leave of absence...
Old 07-24-2012, 8:18 AM

I'm deployed too, my wife and I divorced because of deployments. Literally a week before I left I filled it so I hope it gets better for you. Possibly see about talking to the chaplain as built up stress is not good. Like someone else said it would be best to talk to your chain of command and have someone contact the red cross from back home. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-24-2012, 8:37 AM

I've seen a couple people get out for less, sounds like you have some tough times ahead of you. Keep your head up and there are always people to talk to. You and your family are in my thoughts.

“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.” ~ Ronald Reagan
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." ~ Thomas Jefferson
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
I forgot about that, that is another possibility, one of my buddies took a year leave of absence to take care of personal stuff, never asked him what exactly, figured it was private, didn't negatively affect his career at all.

I had another buddy who walked in on his wife with another dude right after we got back from deployment, at his welcome home party no less, he grabbed his clothes and disappeared for almost a year, hooked up with carnival traveling the east coast. He stayed in contact with our supply SGT but I could never get in touch with him and I was his team leader at the time. He came back and took a loss of rank for a few months for going AWOL, they were lenient on him given the circumstances. He ended up deploying with another unit shortly after coming back and got his SPC back very quickly.

Bottom line is go up the chain with it, I tell my joes all the time, I can't help them if I don't know they need help.
Old 07-24-2012, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

damn bro, sorry to hear about this. like everyone else has already said, go talk to your command. dont get discharged. just see if you can get sent to a closer base or go to a reserve unit as the head shed fulltime (I & I) dont know what its called for you guys or recruiters assistance.

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 07-24-2012, 9:56 PM

Sounds like your position was what the Family Hardship was designed for, all you would have to prove is that your family really needs you at home and could not manage without you. As stated earlier talk to your chain of command.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 08-06-2012, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
I can only get about 3.5 weeks of leave since thats all i have saved up. Honestly all I want to do is be home and with my mom even if that means I have to give up being in the Army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanksbeamen View Post
I'm deployed too, my wife and I divorced because of deployments. Literally a week before I left I filled it so I hope it gets better for you. Possibly see about talking to the chaplain as built up stress is not good. Like someone else said it would be best to talk to your chain of command and have someone contact the red cross from back home. Best of luck to you.
I did this , they sent me a RC letter shortly after I posted this and it wasnt good , I had to talk to the chaplain and kinda let it all out on him. He was very supportive and understanding , turns out he had gone through something similiar himself. He told me to consider a reassignment until I take the leave and see whats actually going on at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laabstract View Post
Sounds like your position was what the Family Hardship was designed for, all you would have to prove is that your family really needs you at home and could not manage without you. As stated earlier talk to your chain of command.
Ive got paperwork left and right and my chain of command is informed. I just have to make a decision and hope its the right one.
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set